Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by My2Cents View Post
    ...great deal of accomplishment to draw on. And, its already in place and functional.
    DDO, functional???....wait....FUNCTIONAL??? LOL!!!!!!!

Welllll....I guess you could call a half-broke-down 1977 Ford Pinto that's running on 2 cylinders "functional" too, as long as it moved....a little....

Seriously....they've got a mountain of bugs to fix...some of em years old....before DDO could really, honestly, be called "functional".

Quote Originally Posted by TalieNeEllyll View Post
    What features would you want?

We already have all the player races in the main game plus some.
    Wrong. We still don't have Gnomes, which have been a core race of D&D/AD&D almost since the beginning.

We don't have Shifters either, and they are a core race in the Eberron campaign setting. As are Warforged.

So, what are these "plus some" races we have?
    All that is wrong with DDO, life, taxes, poltics, religion, music, fast food, education, the criminal justice system, the weather, society, the universe, and previously-discontinued-but-now-on-their-way-back snack cakes, is all the fault of Wizards of the Coast. I know this because Fred told me so, and Mind Flayers are smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Philibusta View Post
    DDO, functional???....wait....FUNCTIONAL??? LOL!!!!!!!

Welllll....I guess you could call a half-broke-down 1977 Ford Pinto that's running on 2 cylinders "functional" too, as long as it moved....a little....

Seriously....they've got a mountain of bugs to fix...some of em years old....before DDO could really, honestly, be called "functional".
    Definition of FUNCTIONAL
    a : of, connected with, or being a function
    b : affecting physiological or psychological functions but not organic structure <functional heart disease>
    : used to contribute to the development or maintenance of a larger whole <functional and practical school courses>; also : designed or developed chiefly from the point of view of use
    : performing or able to perform a regular function
    from http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/functional

please note definition 3

People log on and play every day. It's functional. It's bug ridden, inefficient, bloated, and one of the most unpolished live mmo's out there, but it's functional.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    from http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/functional

please note definition 3

People log on and play every day. It's functional. It's bug ridden, inefficient, bloated, and one of the most unpolished live mmo's out there, but it's functional.
    The quest Protect Baudry's Interests is a normal function of DDO....and it's unable to perform that...also leaving two other quests locked out, so they currently aren't functional....oh and it's a normal function of the game to be able to Bind an item at the Stone of Change for (ML x ML) khyber dragonshard fragments...but it currently takes 400 to Bind any item....so that's not functional...there are many many more examples of non-functional things in DDO...but I don't have all night.

So...in a loose definition...at a stretch...I guess DDO is functional...kinda like that dusty old NES in the den that you have to blow a lungful of air into the game cartridge and bash the thing a couple times with your fist and then it works....sorta....sometimes.....
    All that is wrong with DDO, life, taxes, poltics, religion, music, fast food, education, the criminal justice system, the weather, society, the universe, and previously-discontinued-but-now-on-their-way-back snack cakes, is all the fault of Wizards of the Coast. I know this because Fred told me so, and Mind Flayers are smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Philibusta View Post
    The quest Protect Baudry's Interests is a normal function of DDO....and it's unable to perform that...also leaving two other quests locked out, so they currently aren't functional....oh and it's a normal function of the game to be able to Bind an item at the Stone of Change for (ML x ML) khyber dragonshard fragments...but it currently takes 400 to Bind any item....so that's not functional...there are many many more examples of non-functional things in DDO...but I don't have all night.

So...in a loose definition...at a stretch...I guess DDO is functional...kinda like that dusty old NES in the den that you have to blow a lungful of air into the game cartridge and bash the thing a couple times with your fist and then it works....sorta....sometimes.....
    As far as definitions go I'd say what you just named are features, that are bugged. Hence my comment that ddo is bug ridden and unpolished to a degree beyond any non-beta software I've ever played. However it's function is for people to log on and to play a game and for wb to make money. Both those happen.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

I think a DDO 2 would upset a lot of people. Realistically, it would be a totally new game, all our existing characters would be stuck on ddo 1, and everyone would have to start over. While this would be great for newer players, leveling the playing field as it were, it would probably upset several older players a great deal. (not all, by any means, but a large portion). Maybe it would draw new players, who knows, but I seriously think and ad campaign would do the same. More than the occasional internet little side graphic that pops up occasionally for me on websites that no on really pays attention to anyway.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

I think a DDO 2 would upset a lot of people. Realistically, it would be a totally new game, all our existing characters would be stuck on ddo 1, and everyone would have to start over. While this would be great for newer players, leveling the playing field as it were, it would probably upset several older players a great deal. (not all, by any means, but a large portion). Maybe it would draw new players, who knows, but I seriously think and ad campaign would do the same. More than the occasional internet little side graphic that pops up occasionally for me on websites that no on really pays attention to anyway.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Only if they are mental.

I would rather see the development effort that would take going into developing content and storylines in what we have, and in particular to Eberron which has so much rich content that hasn't been touched.

Nobody would say no to an upgrade on the graphics engine and redoing helf faces, but that's about as far as I would go and only if it could be done easily without detracting from more important projects.

Wizards of the Coast has long since moved on from D&D 3.5. Any new game wouldn't be based on 3.5, it would be based on 4.0 or the future 5.0. I have no faith 5.0 will be any good given the monstrosity 4.0 turned out to be. So on that point alone, DDO2 would probably be doomed for failure. In all likelihood, it wouldn't "feel" like D&D to anybody.
    Ascent, Argonnessen ~ Cleatus Yogurthawker | Isostatic Rebound | Mohorovicic Discontinuity | Angular Unconformity
    Ghalanda ~
    Feldspathic Greywacke

Community Member

Oh I would love to see a 3.5 D&D game where everything's balanced from the ground up on MMO terms. DDO started as a PnP conversion somewhat as there are loads and loads of useless feats and skills and spells. DDO2 should be designed as a computer game from the start. Keep the complexity but make everything relevant.

Gods I hope not.

I'd rather a competent company make DDO 2.
    If your "Known Issues" list needs a freaking scroll bar, then one of you needs to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley_Nicholas View Post
    Wizards of the Coast has long since moved on from D&D 3.5. Any new game wouldn't be based on 3.5, it would be based on 4.0 or the future 5.0. I have no faith 5.0 will be any good given the monstrosity 4.0 turned out to be. So on that point alone, DDO2 would probably be doomed for failure. In all likelihood, it wouldn't "feel" like D&D to anybody.

Really? Not to be a nit-pick out of all the juicy things to pick at over this thread... but, wouldn't feel like a D&D game to ANYBODY? And saying this right after pointing out that there are 5 Editions (or soon to be)... You do realize that out of the first 4 editions only 3rd REALLY allowed the kinds of freedom of builds we see in DDO... (and by third, I include 3.5, because it is not different than including skills & powers and kit books with 2nd edition)...

1st Ed: One class, unless you were multiclassed from the START, or unless you were human and left your current class behind forever to become something else, and then couldn't touch your original class' abilities again until you out-leveled it with your new class...

2nd Ed: Pretty much same as first for multiclassing/dual classing...

3rd Ed: Absolute Freedom.

4th Ed: A very strange combination of feats, tiers, and even then almost no power at all from multiclassing... pretty much pointless to do so.

Now, so far, from what I have seen and heard, the devs have decided that multiclassing in 4th sucked, and 3rd was WAY to powerful/broken... so they had to judge what the mix should be, and from all I can see, they decided something close to 80/20 (3rd/4th). Choose what class each level (like 3rd), but also depending on what level you take the class as to what the benefits will be... Which sounds like it may be pretty powerful, but also may fix some issues we have in DDO but just shrug and move on because of 'gimping' your toon from having less levels, or whatever. Might fix the whole 'caster level' problem by making it more like BAB (something I have argued for from day one)...

All I read about 5th edition, makes me think that a DDO2 using it may be a pretty cool idea. Newer graphics would be nice as well, but not a must by any means. Plus, sometimes fixing something is easier to do by wiping a slate clean and starting over, rather than try to fix and end up back-tracking and finding all bugs/glitches that occurred due to the fix... depending on their code, a clean slate approach might very well be what is honestly needed. Plus, given the Epic Destiny/Enhancement pass stuff? I think they are finally on the right path!

And what if they made DDO2, but either transferred the current characters over, or gave you benefits (like extra XP to start toons with, or 'veteran' status starting at 7th level, etc) on DDO2... There are a lot of ways, and if they did transfer, they could leave the old toon on DDO as well, so you could always go back and play the original... Just thoughts...
    Danse Mortelle - Deadly Rogue
    Aes Sedai - Pure Healer/Walking Shrine
    Leader of Lords of Chaos on Fernia

Default I wonder what search brought this thread back up?

Given the decades long popularity the pnp game has held, a "2nd Edition DDO" at some point in the future is quite likely. I imagine a precursor would be this game going into total maintenance made, similar to the content freeze during the Atari trials, and even then there's no guarantee that Turbine will be the ones doing it, or that any other company will do better or worse.

As for rule sets, I would of course prefer to see a 2nd/3rd edition amalgamation similar to what I use in house: D20 system combat (I was never fond of THAC0) with 2nd Ed. classing structures - including multi-class XP penalties mitigated by Racial Preferred classes. Granted, the current classing structure offers more build options, but is harder to balance and leads to the whole "Barbs suck compared to non-Barb multi-class builds" debates.

Either way, while opinions on the subject are prolific I doubt the D&D brand will die an online death with DDO. I think it's more a question of when than if, as to what form it will/should take... Who knows? Only thing for certain is that regardless of which developer picks up (or continues with) the title, some people will hate it while others love it - and both sides will likely be playing it just like now
    Last edited by PermaBanned; 11-24-2013 at 07:07 PM.
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

Looking at the last two year's worth of DDO development, I hope not. I'd rather see it under new stewardship, then the folks I've been losing faith in for a while now.

Also considering it would almost certainly not be based on 3.5, my interest in it would be low. Wizards of the Coast has been Crucibling D&D for some time.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    Looking at the last two year's worth of DDO development, I hope not. I'd rather see it under new stewardship, then the folks I've been losing faith in for a while now.

Also considering it would almost certainly not be based on 3.5, my interest in it would be low. Wizards of the Coast has been Crucibling D&D for some time.
    Unfortunately there is no guarantee any other company could do a better job than Turbine/WBros. I would be in favour of an update to the base classes to more closely resemble the Pathfinder rules such as: A feat at 1st and every odd numbered level up to 19, then an epic feat every 3rd starting at 21st. Additional abilities for Fighters based on class level other than just bonus feats. Bloodline powers for Sorcerers. Mercy's for Paladins and Divine Bond to replace the loss of their Special Mount etc. Make Listen/Spot one skill (Perception), same for Hide/Move Silently (Stealth), Balance/Tumble (Acrobatics), etc and introduce more feats designed specifically for an MMO.

No they will not make *ddo 2*, between development, costs, the licence timing and other factors it simply wont happen. Also 5th edition is due out, wizards would never sign off on another mmo based on something 2 editions old, I'd bet that neverwinter in the coming time starts to go the way ddo did, 3rd edition but with 4th edition stuff seeping in.... nw will have 5th edition seep in. Since 5th isn't out for abit yet, you wont see a game using its rules for probably atleast a year after release, considering the cost of the licence, the fact that neverwinter exists and the timing of when they'd have to renew the licence.... no I really don't see turbine holding the licence long enough to make a ddo 2, or a ddo mmo based on 5th. that's just my 2cents of a reed on the subject

Community Member

Default Its called pathfinder....

Not sure when, but ddo2 imo is called pathfinder online. As pathfinder completely capitalized on wotc 4th ed epic fail, they will also make an mmo that gets it. They have raised so much on kickstarter and crowd funding, because so many appreciate what they brought to the table to counter 4th ed.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/11...-now-viewable/

Community Member

Default 01.20.2012

There was some talk regarding DDO 2 in this interview http://www.gamebanshee.com/interview...interview.html

"Eric: The concept of introducing Forgotten Realms into our game setting without having characters actually play a different game like a DDO 2 and have it interweave with our Eberron lore was something that only recently came into play with WotC giving direction about how we can merge the two worlds."
    If i haven't responded to your post, it doesn't necessarily mean that i don't have counter-arguments, it might simply mean that i don't want to keep feeding the trolls.
    Plastic People
    Hey! Hey!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonhiglord View Post
    Not sure when, but ddo2 imo is called pathfinder online. As pathfinder completely capitalized on wotc 4th ed epic fail, they will also make an mmo that gets it. They have raised so much on kickstarter and crowd funding, because so many appreciate what they brought to the table to counter 4th ed.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/11...-now-viewable/
    Not a fan of pathfinder in the slightest although it is better than 4E or dnd next and the mmo is looking worse to me than neverwinter.

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

I love the people who go and on about how they hate pathfinder but are fine with dnd 3.5

There isn't that much different. Yes xp systems are different, yes sorcerers are given more than a familiar, yes you get more feats, and yes some skills are combined, and a couple added skills. But it is a slower moving game given the xp differences at levels. A good dm makes the system work far better than what 3.5 did....and the art work is better (We all like pretty pictures).

More flexible rules for unique situations is a good thing..though that said. I wouldn't want to see turbine ghostbane another project. They should shut their doors once their mmos come to a close.

I would like to see some one like bethesda make a pathfinder mmo. I think they are one of the few game studios capable to make a balanced game. (I know zenimax makes eso) So long as they have a new qa department to stop the over looked exploits and cheats people feel they must use in their games lol.

Quote Originally Posted by -Avalon- View Post

1st Ed: One class, unless you were multiclassed from the START, or unless you were human and left your current class behind forever to become something else, and then couldn't touch your original class' abilities again until you out-leveled it with your new class...
    Yeap. Toss bard and psionics into that and it was still fun.

2nd Ed: Pretty much same as first for multiclassing/dual classing...
    Not really. Could have 3 classes. Racial favored class did not need to obey the "within one level of eachother" rule. Once the kits came out the customization got thick.

3rd Ed: Absolute Freedom.
    Yeap.

4th Ed: A very strange combination of feats, tiers, and even then almost no power at all from multiclassing... pretty much pointless to do so.
    Gauntlet arcade game, on paper. I have this power I can use at will, one I can use once ina while and a big boomer I can use once daily.

Everyone has a different "look" but they were so obsessed with balance between classes that most have very similar capabilities impact wise. There were a few things 4e got right, but to do so, they have to generic-ify D&D by removing most of the complexity. I like wizards and other casters having at will abilities. I like that paladins arent forever chained to lawful stupid alignment. Yes other gods do have their paladins too. Each time someone brings up 4e however, I cant help but think "blue valkyrie needs food badly" - "yellow wizard shot the food".

D&D next seems like it is adding some of that old complexity back into the game.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast