Community Member

Default Dragonmark of Warding

Im a level 7 Dwarf rogue and was lookin at this feat series. It seems pretty nice with the Trap Spell like abilities and bonuses to search. Would this be a terrible idea to invest 3 feats on a rogue into?

Also regarding traps, Im running elites that are level 5 and my character cant search and locate the device for almost all of the traps. I have 16 Int and my search skill maxed as high as it can be with search +3 goggles. Is this normal?

I'd suggest you try a more powerfull item, like +5 Search (and also +5 for disable device and spot if you need). Plus, add an item for INT too, I don't remember the max item bonus for your level, but try searching the Auction House.

Another idea is to have Heroism potions, since they stack with your Rogue Skill Boost. Drink them and use that ability when you need to search for traps.
    Last edited by msdesign; 07-10-2013 at 08:22 AM.
    [Ghallanda]
    [Nemessi sorcerer][Helenya cleric][Riita cleric][Myrhea artificer][Shunrei monk][Sverlana rogue][Lillyannn paladin]

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BloodySunday View Post
    Im a level 7 Dwarf rogue and was lookin at this feat series. It seems pretty nice with the Trap Spell like abilities and bonuses to search. Would this be a terrible idea to invest 3 feats on a rogue into?
    Yes.
    1. Rogues are feat-starved; you need almost all of them for your melee DPS (TWF x3, Improved Crit, Power Atk and/or Precision, Imp Sneak Atk if possible) plus Toughness for good measure.
    2. As a pure rogue, you won't have access to any metamagics or enhancements which would boost your DMs' dmg output, meaning they won't scale up in power enough to be useful later on. And if you multiclass to up their dmg, you're giving up a lot of sneak atks to do it. Again, not a great idea, considering you can only use them a few times per rest.
    3. I'm not sure which stat boosts the DCs on the Warding SLAs, but it's unlikely to be one of your rog stats; which means they won't land often.

Also regarding traps, Im running elites that are level 5 and my character cant search and locate the device for almost all of the traps. I have 16 Int and my search skill maxed as high as it can be with search +3 goggles. Is this normal?
    For elites? Yes.
    1. Buy the best trapper gear you can afford for your lvl; +5 or (if you're lucky) race-restricted +7 should be available.
    2. Stock up on Heroism pots or clickies; also Fox's Cunning if you don't have an INT item yet. Later on, a Planar Gird is great, but it's hella expensive on the AH because it's such a rare drop.
    3. If you still need help, invest in rog Skill Boost and/or take the Mechanic PrE.

Community Member

Thanks for the info as it is much apreciated. I decided to spend the enhancements to get action boost and search 1. Hopefully that will help as well. I play with my bro who is a sorc and you feel like a gimp as a rogue who cant find a trap lol.

If youre level 7, you can wear +7 skill-increasing items. +10 if you can find race-restricted ones.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Clothing_enhancements
    All that is wrong with DDO, life, taxes, poltics, religion, music, fast food, education, the criminal justice system, the weather, society, the universe, and previously-discontinued-but-now-on-their-way-back snack cakes, is all the fault of Wizards of the Coast. I know this because Fred told me so, and Mind Flayers are smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Philibusta View Post
    If youre level 7, you can wear +7 skill-increasing items. +10 if you can find race-restricted ones.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Clothing_enhancements
    A good rule of thumb is: have +skill gear = your level until you hit level 15. Also make sure to keep an eye out for +5 thieves' tools on the Auction House. If you're having trouble finding traps on Elite, you can also use UMD to make use of Find Traps scrolls which will boost your search a decent amount.

As for the dragonmark feats--it won't hurt you to take them if you find them appealing--there's no such thing as a non-epic "feat-starved" character. You can be short on HP, AC, healing, skills and saves, but even middling DPS will get you deep into endgame with no trouble. When the new enhancements hit in mid-august the dragonmarks will change from a 3-feat progression to a single feat that opens up enhancements you can take, so there's no harm in experimenting with them now. You can always get rid of them in a month for free if you decide you'd rather have something else.
    I edited a book!

Thelanis player: Arekkeh, Kimberlei (heroic completionist), Lehren (heroic/epic completionist), Natheme, Terpsikhore