Community Member

Default newbie drow question

So, do Drow ever get the chance for 32+ point builds? If I take one, give it a +4 tome to everything, and then tr a few times for build point increases, do I actually get the build point increases, and is the +1 starting stat from the tome in effect _when you create_, or is it applied after you create when you enter the game (meaning a loss of 1 or more skill points).

Will drow be able to go up to the 38 point character build option when the new lr/tr thing goes live?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrag View Post
    So, do Drow ever get the chance for 32+ point builds? If I take one, give it a +4 tome to everything, and then tr a few times for build point increases, do I actually get the build point increases, and is the +1 starting stat from the tome in effect _when you create_, or is it applied after you create when you enter the game (meaning a loss of 1 or more skill points).

Will drow be able to go up to the 38 point character build option when the new lr/tr thing goes live?

Thanks!
    1. Not presently. 32 points is the present max for Drow. Source: http://ddowiki.com/page/Reincarnation
    2. +4 tomes will work regardless of race. You can use +1/+2/+3/+4 tomes at levels 3/7/11/15, respectively. If you eat them at level, INT point will not apply to your skill points at that level. After you reincarnate the bonuses are applied immediately when you take level 3/7/11/15.
    3. No idea as to your last question.

Drow are sorta 32/34/36 point builds in that they get the extra +4 build points because they start with 3 different boosted stats. The upside is that they are easy for Free to Play players to unlock and play with for some extra stats. The downside is that you don't get to choose where those extra build points go making Drow a flavor race for a lot of players. I personally like Drow just for the looks. But I doubt they will ever be increased to the same starting points as other races since they already get those bonuses automatically.
    Orien Player: Semirasai, ~3~ L28 Drow Wizard :: Kaethe, ~5~ L13 Halfling Barb/Bard/Rog :: Esthera, ~2~ L26 Human Favored Soul
    Sophiae, L20 Drow Bard :: Kitarina, L20 Half-Orc Fighter :: Aadia, L20 Half-Elf Sorcerer :: Olesia, ~2~ L15 Sun Elf Cleric/Monk

In the green heart of GERMANY - where wilderness means the next village is 3 klicks away.

Drow have 4 buildpoints "prespend" on +2 INT and +2 CHA. This is why they "only" get a PB value of 4 points lower.

If this is a good or a ungood thing depends on your individual build.
    Erzskalde (Warchanter) / Erzmarschall (melee FvS) / Erzsoldat (waiting for TR-time) / Erzschmied (ranged Artificer)

AOK - From Argonnessen

Community Member moomooprincess's Avatar

Default My drow are only charisma characters

I think drow was the only character I could start off with a Charisma of 20.

All of my drow are Sorcerors, Bards, and Bard/rogues. I actually prefer WF Sorcerors, but I do create one drow sorceror on all servers just for a flavor change.

I do not enjoy playing Paladins, but I suppose a Drow might be adequate for that. My favored souls are all human.
    Recipemaker Guild: Top Chef School of Recipes

Event Statistics: Risia, Festivult, Midwinter, Daily Dice, Mimic Hunt

For a very long time CON was a sacred stat to DDO players and the idea that people could build characters with less than maximum CON was reviled by essentially every forumite. That has changed as DDO has changed. The continued increase in level caps, the introduction of epic destinies, the introduction of ever higher stat tomes, the increase in maximum stat bonuses via gear -- all of these things have contributed to a reduced mania concerning CON.

One consequence of this is that drow are slowly becoming an acceptable race choice.

To bring a drow and a human to the same early stats takes 2 build points for drow (raising CON from 6 to 8) and 6 build points for humans (raising DEX, INT and CHA from 8 to 10). This effectively gives drow a 4 build point advantage on humans and makes drow effectively a 32 point build -- it is just that the first 4 of those points are spent for players in advance, leaving only 28 to allocate.

This is the reason many people refer to drow as 32 point builds or as being equivalent to 32 point builds. But, this is misleading. Depending on character class and stat decisions, drow can be much more than 32 point build equivalents.

The real secret with drow is finding a character class that can reap maximum advantage from this as very few classes (or multiclass combinations) gain maximum advantage from pushing DEX, INT and CHA.

Default Drow

I have a Drow paladin dual-wielding rapiers. I felt their boosted stats (mainly dex and cha) and racial weapons were a good choice for a dual-wielding pally. I'm not a raider but I'm very happy with his damage output and enjoy playing him quite a bit. If I was going for a sword & board or 2-hander I would have chosen another race

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Therigar View Post
    For a very long time CON was a sacred stat to DDO players and the idea that people could build characters with less than maximum CON was reviled by essentially every forumite.
    It was never just about the -2 CON, though. It was also that (A) your extra build pts came "pre-spent" and few builds benefit from bonuses to DEX, CHA, and INT; and (B) the racial abilities were generally subpar (e.g., drow SR caps at 35 and can't be boosted w/items or buffs, rendering it useless in endgame content).

Now, that said, I've always pushed back against the "if it isn't minmaxed, it's cr*p!" contingent. Drow may not be ideal for most builds, but they're also nowhere near as gimp as some make them out to be; in large part because having the right gear, build (inc. EDs), and player skill count for way more than racial bonuses (or penalties) do in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    It was never just about the -2 CON, though. It was also that (A) your extra build pts came "pre-spent" and few builds benefit from bonuses to DEX, CHA, and INT; and (B) the racial abilities were generally subpar (e.g., drow SR caps at 35 and can't be boosted w/items or buffs, rendering it useless in endgame content).

Now, that said, I've always pushed back against the "if it isn't minmaxed, it's cr*p!" contingent. Drow may not be ideal for most builds, but they're also nowhere near as gimp as some make them out to be; in large part because having the right gear, build (inc. EDs), and player skill count for way more than racial bonuses (or penalties) do in the long run.
    I deliberately ended my previous comment with the observation that The real secret with drow is finding a character class that can reap maximum advantage from this as very few classes (or multiclass combinations) gain maximum advantage from pushing DEX, INT and CHA. This is the most difficult part of the exercise and involves not only looking at character classes but also at skills and the stats associated with those skills.

That said, there are some choices that should be intuitive and this will likely improve with the enhancement pass.

Community Member

DexInt/Cha? That's why drow make the best assassins.

Default drow

I had a geared out DOS TWF Pally with 752 HP. She was great. When they nerfed smite's she wasn't so fun. When LD's came out she was playable again. I just TR'd her again and am trying other things, but Drow are definately playable under the right conditions with the right class.

Of great interest, after the enhancement pass Drow are supposed to have Racial PRE's of a Tempest! If done right a TON of people will be playing DROW. This should put TWF back on the map. I think we will see a lot of Drow Barbarians, Fighters, and Paladins.
    Formerly known as Battlehawke until 5/9/2013 when a great storm came through (several weeks after the forum changes btw) and "Poof" Everything went away. ......Thanks Turbine....

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Great, just what we need - more drow dual-wielders running around the Forgotten Realms!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Great, just what we need - more drow dual-wielders running around the Forgotten Realms!
    I was grouped with a bit of a troll whos name was _exactly_ (give or take a small bit to make it unique) the person you are referring to.

I really hate that ****. At least I've only seen one Raistlin... :|

Quote Originally Posted by Buffyanne View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynning View Post
    Of great interest, after the enhancement pass Drow are supposed to have Racial PRE's of a Tempest!

I'm not sure about "best" assassins since assassinate is tied to INT and, depending on available gear and tomes, humans and half-elves can compete favorably with drow for maximum INT. I think half-elves might be able to match drow in any case if they have the artificer dilettante -- even in those situations where the gear and tome totals end up on even numbers.

But, certainly drow have great potential as rogues -- more if the enhancement pass actually gives them Tempest as a racial PrE. Dual-wielding INT or CHA based weapons might prove to be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffyanne View Post
    They're also an excellent choice if you want to play a two weapon fighting paladin.

A drow rapier pally is within a whisker of the damage of a human khopesh pally.