Community Member

Default Wizard - some advice appreciated please :)

Hi all,

So I've returned to DDO after an approx 2 year break. I have an existing level 15 char (13 wiz, 2 rogue), but wanted to start again with a newb to absorb the changes and relearn the class. I've gone with the Pale Trapper (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/394332) build this time.

What I am trying to wrap my head around again are three things:

1) F2P - I always was a VIP before, but this time (RL cash considerations) I am playing F2P. All of a sudden every adventure I like appears to be barred to me! Seriously. I have no idea where to go to actually grab a few levels Can anyone advise on this? Please note that the current TP on my account is a grand total of 12, and I have done the 100 favor grind many moons ago on all the servers (including the newer ones), so I can't readily (at least not at the moment) buy adventure packs. Having said that, please do feel free to recommend them - I won't be broke forever :P

2) Gear/Equipment - Spellpower? Wait, what? I have no idea of proportion here. I am going on the assumption that big numbers are good numbers, but as I am speccing in Acid and Frost, should I prioritise say Acid SP over general SP? I am only level 5 at the moment, so my choice of spells is limited, but for sure I will use the heck out of Firewall, specced or not - should I invest in general SP, or even in Fire to bring it up to par with Acid/Frost? I should note here that I have the full Abishai set (although not the Diabolist's Robe) equipped, so I mainly mean weapon/offhand - I'd also welcome any advice on armor, as I appear to have forgotten what is good and works. I do have some crafting levels on my old char, so if there's something I should give my nooblet, please shout

3) Spot - it's not included in this build, and I can't see any way to get the skill points to fit it in - I am not a vet player who knows every trap in the game. Should I reroll now to try to fit it? Or should I just learn as I go (by dying horribly and repeatedly :P)?

Thanks for any recommendations and advice

Ist.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

The DDO wiki is (still) your best friend. In your case, check out the list of F2P quests and the Spell Power page. There are plenty of F2P quests you can farm up to lvl 12 or so; your options get a bit thin after that, but hopefully by then you can spring for some higher-lvl packs, like Gianthold or Vale. Keep your eye out for the next time the MotU SE goes on sale; that gets a bunch of quest packs (both in Eberron and Forgotten Realms), Epic Destinies (mucho epic power comes from them), druids, and some other goodies.

Community Member

Default Cheers!

Hey thank you Unbongwah! I clicked on your links, and I must admit that there's alot of info there that I wasn't aware of. Very useful indeed - actually, the whole Wiki will be a huge help.

With regard to MOTU - how did I not spot that before? I'll make that my first buy when I am once again in the land of plentiful shekels :P

Thank you

Ist.

Quote Originally Posted by Istaria1 View Post
    Hi all,

So I've returned to DDO after an approx 2 year break. I have an existing level 15 char (13 wiz, 2 rogue), but wanted to start again with a newb to absorb the changes and relearn the class. I've gone with the Pale Trapper (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/394332) build this time.

1) F2P - I always was a VIP before, but this time (RL cash considerations) I am playing F2P. All of a sudden every adventure I like appears to be barred to me! Seriously. I have no idea where to go to actually grab a few levels Can anyone advise on this? Please note that the current TP on my account is a grand total of 12, and I have done the 100 favor grind many moons ago on all the servers (including the newer ones), so I can't readily (at least not at the moment) buy adventure packs. Having said that, please do feel free to recommend them - I won't be broke forever :P
    All of the upper level ones honestly
    In order
    • MotU (Full Version, if they still offer two different versions in the DDO store) -Comes with the most "stuff."
    • GH -"new" endgame until August 2013
    • Everything else (?)

2) Gear/Equipment - Spellpower? Wait, what? I have no idea of proportion here. I am going on the assumption that big numbers are good numbers, but as I am speccing in Acid and Frost, should I prioritise say Acid SP over general SP? I am only level 5 at the moment, so my choice of spells is limited, but for sure I will use the heck out of Firewall, specced or not - should I invest in general SP, or even in Fire to bring it up to par with Acid/Frost? I should note here that I have the full Abishai set (although not the Diabolist's Robe) equipped, so I mainly mean weapon/offhand - I'd also welcome any advice on armor, as I appear to have forgotten what is good and works. I do have some crafting levels on my old char, so if there's something I should give my nooblet, please shout
    • 10 spell power = 1% more damage (I think) but yeah, more damage = good
    • Remember you can reset enhancements every 3 days So spec away
    • Grab your daily Cannith challenge token every time you log on. There are good things you want from them. If you have shared banking you can run it up to 4x a day (Once per toon, 4 toons per server; Premium) which you can move between toons through shared banking (T1 Rewards/Mat's are BtA). I recommend Boots, Robe, Bracer in that order Not having shared banking will just make it take longer

3) Spot - it's not included in this build, and I can't see any way to get the skill points to fit it in - I am not a vet player who knows every trap in the game. Should I reroll now to try to fit it? Or should I just learn as I go (by dying horribly and repeatedly :P)?
    Turbine is reworking Spot, Detect Secret Door, and True Seeing so I wouldn't worry about it for now. DDO Wiki and learning as you go should work. Evasion should prevent most "Traps to the face" problems and True Seeing/Detect Secret Doors should help with the other (until the rework goes live).

Ist.
    GL and welcome back

Community Member

Default Resurrect my WF instead?

Thanks Aby, I appreciate you taking the time to reply

I'm having a mild change of heart at the moment, and thinking that I will resurrect my WF 13/2 Wiz/Rogue instead, as I've just realised that I have +3 tomes eaten on him for all his stats. I also have quite a few crafting levels on him. However, if I go PM I'll need to respec his feats (he's currently Archmage), and I'm not certain it's the best path for a WF - am I correct in thinking that I would lose the benefit of my repair spells?

I'm unsure which way to roll at the moment :/

Ist.

However, if I go PM I'll need to respec his feats (he's currently Archmage), and I'm not certain it's the best path for a WF - am I correct in thinking that I would lose the benefit of my repair spells?
    Correct: a WF in undead form is immune to repair / reconstruct. That said, some WF wizs still go PM for the bonuses to Necro spells and just don't use undead forms; or swap back & forth between forms as necessary.

Community Member

Default Archmage WF it is then :)

Once again, thanks to both of you guys for replying, and I think that given the tomes situation (and also that I have the Cove pieces), I am going to relearn to play my WF and stick with AM for now.

Looking forward to getting back into the mid/higher level content again, but I must say that the F2P quests available between 15-18 mean I am going to be grinding alot :/

Ist.

For Archmage, I'd say the best schools (in alphabetical order) are Conjuration (just for the Web SLA), Enchantment, Evocation (higher DCs on most DPS spells + Magic / Chain Missiles SLAs work well w/Shiradi spec), and/or Necromancy. My WF AM (wiz 18 / rog 2) is going Greater Evo + Conj 2nd; the idea is to skip out on Spell Pen (since splashing costs -2 Spell Pen + capstone anyway) and focus on DPS + spamming Webs, with the final goal being a Shiradi spec.
    Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 03.16.01
    DDO Character Planner Home Page

Level 25 True Neutral Warforged Male
    (2 Rogue \ 18 Wizard \ 5 Epic) 
    Hit Points: 301
    Spell Points: 1751 
    BAB: 10\10\15\20
    Fortitude: 10
    Reflex: 17
    Will: 9

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
    Abilities        Base Stats          Modified Stats
    (28 Point)       (Level 1)             (Level 25)
    Strength             10                    10
    Dexterity             8                     8
    Constitution         18                    18
    Intelligence         18                    27
    Wisdom                6                     6
    Charisma              6                     6

Level 1 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Selected) Insightful Reflexes

Level 2 (Wizard)
    Feat: (Wizard Bonus) Mental Toughness

Level 3 (Wizard)
    Feat: (Selected) Toughness

Level 4 (Wizard)
    Ability Raise: INT

Level 5 (Wizard)

Level 6 (Wizard)
    Feat: (Wizard Bonus) Maximize Spell
    Feat: (Selected) Spell Focus: Evocation

Level 7 (Wizard)

Level 8 (Wizard)

Level 9 (Wizard)
    Feat: (Selected) Spell Focus: Conjuration

Level 10 (Wizard)

Level 11 (Rogue)

Level 12 (Wizard)
    Feat: (Selected) Greater Spell Focus: Evocation
    Feat: (Wizard Bonus) Heighten Spell

Level 13 (Wizard)

Level 14 (Wizard)

Level 15 (Wizard)
    Feat: (Selected) Quicken Spell

Level 16 (Wizard)

Level 17 (Wizard)
    Feat: (Wizard Bonus) Empower Spell

Level 18 (Wizard)
    Feat: (Selected) Greater Spell Focus: Conjuration

Level 19 (Wizard)

Level 20 (Wizard)
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness I
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness II
    Enhancement: Improved Concentration I
    Enhancement: Improved Concentration II
    Enhancement: Improved Concentration III
    Enhancement: Improved Concentration IV
    Enhancement: Corrosive Spellcasting I
    Enhancement: Corrosive Spellcasting II
    Enhancement: Glacial Spellcasting I
    Enhancement: Glacial Spellcasting II
    Enhancement: Kinetic Spellcasting I
    Enhancement: Kinetic Spellcasting II
    Enhancement: Deadly Acid I
    Enhancement: Deadly Ice I
    Enhancement: Deadly Kinetics I
    Enhancement: Acid Manipulation I
    Enhancement: Acid Manipulation II
    Enhancement: Acid Manipulation III
    Enhancement: Acid Manipulation IV
    Enhancement: Acid Manipulation V
    Enhancement: Acid Manipulation VI
    Enhancement: Acid Manipulation VII
    Enhancement: Frost Manipulation I
    Enhancement: Frost Manipulation II
    Enhancement: Frost Manipulation III
    Enhancement: Frost Manipulation IV
    Enhancement: Frost Manipulation V
    Enhancement: Frost Manipulation VI
    Enhancement: Frost Manipulation VII
    Enhancement: Force Manipulation I
    Enhancement: Force Manipulation II
    Enhancement: Force Manipulation III
    Enhancement: Force Manipulation IV
    Enhancement: Force Manipulation V
    Enhancement: Force Manipulation VI
    Enhancement: Force Manipulation VII
    Enhancement: Repair Manipulation I
    Enhancement: Repair Manipulation II
    Enhancement: Repair Manipulation III
    Enhancement: Wizard Energy of the Scholar I
    Enhancement: Wizard Energy of the Scholar II
    Enhancement: Wizard Energy of the Scholar III
    Enhancement: Wizard Energy of the Scholar IV
    Enhancement: Wizard Intelligence I
    Enhancement: Wizard Intelligence II
    Enhancement: Wizard Intelligence III
    Enhancement: Wizard Wand and Scroll Mastery I
    Enhancement: Warforged Inscribed Armor I
    Enhancement: Wizard Archmage I
    Enhancement: Wizard Archmage II
    Enhancement: Wizard Archmage III
    Enhancement: Wizard Archmage IV
    Enhancement: Wizard Archmage V
    Enhancement: Archmage Secondary Spell Mastery I: Conjuration
    Enhancement: Archmage Spell Mastery I: Evocation
    Enhancement: Archmage Spell Mastery II: Evocation
    Enhancement: Conjuration I - Grease
    Enhancement: Conjuration II - Web
    Enhancement: Evocation I - Magic Missile
    Enhancement: Evocation II - Gust of Wind
    Enhancement: Evocation III - Chain Missiles

Level 21 (Wizard)
    Feat: (Selected) Epic Spell Focus: Evocation

Level 22 (Wizard)

Level 23 (Wizard)

Level 24 (Wizard)
    Feat: (Selected) Epic Spell Focus: Conjuration (or Epic Toughness w/+3 CON tome)

Level 25 (Wizard)
    The main drawback is by sacrificing Spell Pen and Necro DCs, I miss out on sweet instakills, of course.

Not sure about after Update 19, but you will see many PM WF running around (At least on the servers I bounce around on). In quests with little or no danger of "Light" spells they run around in Undead form; Quests with high "Light" spells, they simply use there repair spells and avoid the 2x damage they would take if they changed body type. It's the best of both worlds for this build and you lose 1 DC for race choice vs. Drow/Human, so although it matters, not enough for people not to run PM WF. But AM WF is strong thanks to SLA's.

Community Member

Put at least as many points you need, depending on your wisdom modifier, into Spot to get rank 1. There are a few items that will raise your spot ranks and you can choose some enhancements too. As a wizard you can boost your wisdom modifier temporarily by +2 when you buff yourself with Owl's Wisdom (until you find an item that grants you +4 wisdom or higher, because the spell doesn't stack). If you play a Human you can get the Human Versatility Enhancements which would temporarily raise the rank up to +5 at HV 4. With the rogue splash you can take an enhancement similar to the HV boosting the rank. However secret doors that are necessary to progress a dungeon will always be noticed regardless what your spot rank is.

Alternative:
    Note that it is not necessary to put any points into spot as long as you or one of your party members have a hireling at the appropriate level. The hirelings will always spot traps and give feedback about this to you. In this case it's more important to have the highest possible search skill to be able to reveal the hidden devices to disable the traps. Or to have an item with Find Trap charges or a few scrolls (Cleric/FvS Level 2 spell, buyable on marketplace and usable thanks to UMD).

You do not have to put any points in open lock too (or again only as much as necessary to get rank 1), since you can cast Knock which works on every locked door/chest otherwise only pickable. So the most important skills are: search, disable device and use magic device.

I've gone with the Pale Trapper (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/394332) build this time.

[...]

Ist.
    I'm confused. Spot is part of the pale trapper build...

Community Member

Default D'oh I'm a dimwit

@Ellis - you're completely correct. It appears that I was half-reading and was misspending my skill points slightly. I apologise!

@All - Thanks once more for all the advice. I've started to relearn to play my 13/2 wiz/rog and am not actually following the Pale Trapper path on him (at the moment at least). I might come back to the Pale Trapper in the future, but it's likely to be a TR, by which time I hope I will have learned a little more about wizarding in general (and @Ellis - also, how to read guides properly :P).

Ist.