Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    302

    Default Stealer of Souls - Yep, Still Sucks

    So I see SoS, which has annoying flagging requirements and is not very fun, still sucks. It's still a losing lottery to get the runes you need, and oh joy, on three completions you can choose 50 draconic or a single random rune! At the very least, you need to up the rewards:

    Example Chest Loot:
    Casual: One rune (any)
    Normal: One Sovereign + 1 Tempest + 1-2 Eldritch
    Hard: 1-2 Sovereign + 1-4 Tempest + 1-6 Eldritch
    Elite: 1-3 Sovereign + 1-6 Tempest + 1-8 Eldritch

    Example End Rewards:
    Casual: 50 Draconic runes
    Normal: 50 Draconic runes or one Eldritch or Tempest
    Hard: 50 Draconic runes + one Tempest
    Elite: 100 Draconic runes + one Sovereign

    Every three Completions:
    250 Draconic runes or select one from a list of at least half the Sovereign runes.

    C'mon guys, update this poorly designed quest already.

  2. #2
    Community Member Enga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Posts
    30

    Default

    I actually do find the quest fun, but everything else /signed

  3. #3
    Community Member redspecter23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    3,688

    Default

    Turbine for the longest time has had a very bad track record when it comes to "future proofing" their content. When Refuge was endgame, players were likely to spend a lot of time in the quests. Acquisition of runes was much easier and faster. What Turbine didn't account for at the time was what was to happen to the dragontouched mechanic when it wasn't endgame anymore? There were a few changes along the way such as identifying runes and making flagging slightly easier, but over time even those changes aren't enough to keep people interested.

    When Turbine is making content with the knowledge that it won't be endgame forever, they should at the same time be putting plans in place to adjust that content when it falls off the endgame radar. Recent changes to Tor dragon scale rates and upgrades to the armor have breathed new life into that mechanic and it's something that I'd like to see done to other outdated content in the future. As well, all newly created content should have a sort of expiry date on the heavy grind. While content is new, you can design heavier grind into it as players will be playing it more. Once that content is old, phase out the heavier grind, knowing that it's most likely just a stepping stone for xp on TR lives at that point unless it will see epic treatment eventually.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

  4. #4
    Community Member Qhualor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    9,992

    Default

    eh, compared to the old slot machine way it was before, I think its much easier and rewards are fine. I think the runes drop rates are fine and how much you get, but since DT armor is all but dead to most players now if you are looking for runes to make one, its better to join those xp grind groups. after joining, politely say to the group you are willing to free up their bag space and will take any and all runes. usually people will have no problem passing.

    DT armor could still be good armor for that level range and could be extended into epic levels if the devs are willing to take the time and imagination to adjust the system. could even make Refuge epicable to make epic DT armor. the slot system is already there. hate to see DT armor go to waste like this because I really love that armor and I see good potential for what it could be with a little work.

  5. #5
    Community Member Atremus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Aegis
    Posts
    1,269

    Default

    If DT armor was upgraded or revisited, maybe people would run SOS again. I can't remember the last time I saw a posting for SOS.

    I just wear the frozen Tunic now a days....
    Characters: Celemia / Tukson / Thau (Broken link) / Atremus

    “A pessimist is one who feels bad when he feels good for fear he'll feel worse when he feels better.”

  6. #6
    Community Member Teh_Troll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Under the bridge
    Posts
    5,874

    Default

    This is such a great quest to . . . in a darn good chain . . . that I never run anymore and I don't know anybody who runs on a regular basis. It's a 6-man raid.

    Epicify this maybe? Not sure, I still think Dragontouched armor is junk, maybe some new gear? Something? I have no idea but is seems wasteful that such good content is for the idle because the loot is meh.

  7. #7
    The Hatchery Enoach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    4,595

    Default

    One of the issues with DT armor was it's randomness in runes. This is a big deterrent to even new players (who may not even know that DDO built in a customized armor mechanic) because it is hard to get the pieces you want to customize it, not because not enough drop but because of the random drop.

    Over time they have adjusted the mechanic.

    1. Removed the "Blind" augmentation - Not knowing what you have until you use it. Many players got around this by farming many of these until they had stacks - Even blind like ones stacked so you could deduce what you had.

    2. Added in the Trade mechanic where you can use the same stones to purchase armor to "Buy" a Eldritch stone

    3. Added in the 3 for 1 upgrade - Allow you to "Create" a new random of the next highest level

    4. Added in the Sovereign split mechanic - Random Tempest and Eldritch


    One of the most common Farmed Quests run out there is Monastery of the Scorpion - Which drops two Eldritch this could net you 2 for each run (plus the XP)

    --------------------------------------------------------
    Personally I like this series and it's difficulties. As for the SoS quest itself I've never found the "Quest" to be difficult but I have found the "Optional" to be more than what some groups can handle, due to the Boss Fight and the Mephit coordination.

  8. #8
    Community Member Teh_Troll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Under the bridge
    Posts
    5,874

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    One of the issues with DT armor was it's randomness in runes. This is a big deterrent to even new players (who may not even know that DDO built in a customized armor mechanic) because it is hard to get the pieces you want to customize it, not because not enough drop but because of the random drop.

    Over time they have adjusted the mechanic.

    1. Removed the "Blind" augmentation - Not knowing what you have until you use it. Many players got around this by farming many of these until they had stacks - Even blind like ones stacked so you could deduce what you had.

    2. Added in the Trade mechanic where you can use the same stones to purchase armor to "Buy" a Eldritch stone

    3. Added in the 3 for 1 upgrade - Allow you to "Create" a new random of the next highest level

    4. Added in the Sovereign split mechanic - Random Tempest and Eldritch


    One of the most common Farmed Quests run out there is Monastery of the Scorpion - Which drops two Eldritch this could net you 2 for each run (plus the XP)

    --------------------------------------------------------
    Personally I like this series and it's difficulties. As for the SoS quest itself I've never found the "Quest" to be difficult but I have found the "Optional" to be more than what some groups can handle, due to the Boss Fight and the Mephit coordination.
    It's not gonna matter, the new armors (Black scale on a melee for example) are just so much better. DT isn't even worth pursuing for twink gear.

  9. #9
    Community Member Phidius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,592

    Default

    The quests still have good XP, and I think they're fun. The only change they need to make (IMHO) is to remove the 3 essences from the flagging quests, and change the flagging requirements for SoS to just have completed the flagging quests. You know, like virtually every other chain in the game.

    I wouldn't object if they were to upgrade the effects of the runes, though. Seriously, Striding 20%?
    "I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities" - Vaarsuvius, OoTS #674

  10. #10
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phidius View Post
    The quests still have good XP, and I think they're fun. The only change they need to make (IMHO) is to remove the 3 essences from the flagging quests, and change the flagging requirements for SoS to just have completed the flagging quests. You know, like virtually every other chain in the game.

    I wouldn't object if they were to upgrade the effects of the runes, though. Seriously, Striding 20%?
    only ever ran SOS once, on one of my toons, so have to say that while changing it so you can enter without having to reacquire the essenses would allow it to be ran more. They'd probably reduce the chest drops if that were to happen, honestly since everything is btc its not that hard to get a set of runes that you are looking for by trading up and sundering them. I was able to make a 20%/10% HA cloak for my monk within about 3 days. only ran the SOS quest to unlock the altars to make it, got the runes by upgrading and sundering the ones I got for running the previous ones a few times. they're alot easier.

  11. #11
    Community Member Spoonwelder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Nanaimo, BC
    Posts
    1,814

    Default

    Agree, I like the chain quest, like the end quest but the DT armour needs some love.

    At a minimum:
    Ensure that across the board it gives equivalent or better AC than the base armor at that level range (ie. mountain plate) I think it does but I only checked Plate armor
    Maybe make it go to +6 and have an inherent DR (+5 specific or +3 general)
    Please make both striding = 30% - really eliminate the 20% and bump the remaining one to 30%
    Drop the elemental resists and add elemental absorptions(single of 33% or spectrum at say 10%)

    The armor is still very good at level - 3 slots are very nice to get on armor and almost all of the options are better than you could generically craft yourself onto at level armor with no ML issue to deal with in your crafting.

    As for fixing the quests - the flagging quests are fine - SOS itself is fairly easy - the optional on normal is easy enough but the ramp up to Elite is nasty (and not really worth it except to test your group).

    People have to remember that the optional is just that and you don't need it to craft your armor anymore (it just makes it faster and helps with reflagging). And a reminder if you do the optional you merely need to run Prey on the Hunter again to get that essence and trade your draconic runes for the other two essences - so reflagging is about a 20minute affair - much shorter than any 3 day raid timer.
    gotta to kick at the darkness til it bleeds daylight - B. Cockburn
    Guild Leader - Order of the Silver Dragons
    Mains Darlao Completionist Toogor Wiz28 TR5 Also Listarn Shadar Kai Rogue 20/7 - WhiskyTango CL28 TR4 - Toongor Bd28 TR2 - Sooey Dwarf ConBarb28 Pusshy -WizMo 18/ 2/8+9 More

  12. #12
    Community Member FestusHood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    3,064

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonwelder View Post
    Agree, I like the chain quest, like the end quest but the DT armour needs some love.

    At a minimum:
    Ensure that across the board it gives equivalent or better AC than the base armor at that level range (ie. mountain plate) I think it does but I only checked Plate armor
    Maybe make it go to +6 and have an inherent DR (+5 specific or +3 general)
    Please make both striding = 30% - really eliminate the 20% and bump the remaining one to 30%
    Drop the elemental resists and add elemental absorptions(single of 33% or spectrum at say 10%)

    The armor is still very good at level - 3 slots are very nice to get on armor and almost all of the options are better than you could generically craft yourself onto at level armor with no ML issue to deal with in your crafting.

    As for fixing the quests - the flagging quests are fine - SOS itself is fairly easy - the optional on normal is easy enough but the ramp up to Elite is nasty (and not really worth it except to test your group).

    People have to remember that the optional is just that and you don't need it to craft your armor anymore (it just makes it faster and helps with reflagging). And a reminder if you do the optional you merely need to run Prey on the Hunter again to get that essence and trade your draconic runes for the other two essences - so reflagging is about a 20minute affair - much shorter than any 3 day raid timer.
    You've got some good ideas here. I like the elemental absorption idea, especially since you can just use an augment slot for resists, not to mention ship buffs and spells.

    Now that they are changing the way exceptional skills stack, those eldritch runes that have exceptional skills plus 3 will be every bit as good as greensteel. Maybe if they continue along this line and make it so the elemental hp and sp buffs don't stack but double in value, then dragontouched could essentially become greensteel armor.

    When i made my 10%, 20%, devotion 84 armor, i just ran prey on the hunter about 23 times on casual and traded all the runes till i got what i wanted.

    It's not endgame armor, but if you get what you want it can certainly be as good as any armor in the level range.

  13. #13
    Community Member ThePrincipal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    769

    Default

    I haven't run SOS since the Lord of Eyes where I can get similar armor much easier. That +10 reflex slotted on light armor or the medium armor with 10% amp and 2 guards is solid.

  14. #14
    Founder Delacroix21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Newport Beach, Ca
    Posts
    1,801

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FalseFlag View Post
    So I see SoS, which has annoying flagging requirements and is not very fun, still sucks. It's still a losing lottery to get the runes you need, and oh joy, on three completions you can choose 50 draconic or a single random rune! At the very least, you need to up the rewards:

    Example Chest Loot:
    Casual: One rune (any)
    Normal: One Sovereign + 1 Tempest + 1-2 Eldritch
    Hard: 1-2 Sovereign + 1-4 Tempest + 1-6 Eldritch
    Elite: 1-3 Sovereign + 1-6 Tempest + 1-8 Eldritch

    Example End Rewards:
    Casual: 50 Draconic runes
    Normal: 50 Draconic runes or one Eldritch or Tempest
    Hard: 50 Draconic runes + one Tempest
    Elite: 100 Draconic runes + one Sovereign

    Every three Completions:
    250 Draconic runes or select one from a list of at least half the Sovereign runes.

    C'mon guys, update this poorly designed quest already.
    Love this change, this is a remmnant of a overly grindy system that needs updating. Allot of old "farming" raids need their ingredients increased to compensate for the lack of people running them anymore.
    Making DDO a better game 1 post at a time!

    Triple EVERYTHING Completionist= Heroic 39/39, Iconic 12/12, Epic 36/36

  15. #15
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    2,302

    Default

    Make new runes unbound.
    Make armor BtA.
    Add ML20 upgrade that adds colorless slot and PRR for a bunch of Epic Tokens of the Twelve.
    Add ML24 upgrade that adds blue slot and "Primal" for a bunch of Commendations of Heroism.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload