Community Member

Default Looking for a brief sum up of a few classes and a server question, totally new here

Basically just curious about getting into the game, what are the state of the melee classes? Any one in particular not as good as the rest or is it all fairly the same across the board? Im curious about the status of Paladins or possibly a fighter that does great burst damage, would it be 2handers?

And is Khyber a decent server to be on currently?

Thanks for any and all input.

Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post
    Basically just curious about getting into the game, what are the state of the melee classes? Any one in particular not as good as the rest or is it all fairly the same across the board? Im curious about the status of Paladins or possibly a fighter that does great burst damage, would it be 2handers?

Im not one to realy answer your questions but a 1/2 orc, 2 hander is about the best mele IMHO. Up to others to tell you if a barb or fighter would best. (neither does burst damage btw)
    And yes Kyber is 1 of the top servers

Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post

I don't play on Khyber, but I hear it is supposed to be one of the more populated servers.

As to melees, pure paladin is more about staying alive than high dps, relative to the other melees.

You might be interested in the Juggernaut build, https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...-the-Warforged

Two-handers are fairly good, especially in the Fury of the Wild destiny if you are after burst damage. Power attack, cleave, great cleave, and at high level, overwhelming critical are all good feats. As well as Improved Critical: Slashing, Two handed Fighting, Greater Two-Handed Fighting, and Improved Two-handed fighting.

Default am from Khyber

and it is a great server.

If you decide to play - add me (Uurlock) to your friends list. Drop me a mail (ingame) when you start and i will be glad to help as time and resources permit.

There are many really good melee DPS builds - but the question you should be asking yourself is what character do I want to play for my first character EVER in DDO....

I must presume that since you are new to DDO that you will be F2P (Free to Play) to start - to decide if you like the game and if it is something you are wanting / willing / able to continue and or spend real resources on (time, cash, tears ;P ).

So with that in mind - Human Pally is a great choice for a new account - Half-Orc is fun and powerful - but you must buy the class. There are ways (legal) to get access to paid content but just to start you want a character that has good survivability.

Defense, reasonable DPS, ability to self heal....

Also depends if you are a social gamer or one who like to go it alone with plastic (NPC hirelings)

Now if you are starting with VIP or have purchased one or both of the expansions - things change a bit.

First thing though: there is SO much to see and do; so many choices - don't be afraid to make mistakes, ask questions, and don't try to have the UBBERmost DPS toon on the block to begin with.

Second thing: you will probably most likely delete your first character before level 5 and start with another one.... That is fine as well. Happens allot.

Third: don't be in a hurry to leave Korthos Island - learn the mechanics and the basics - then come over to the rest of your characters life.

Fourth: DDOwiki.com <---- AWESOME resource. Everything DDO by those that love the game the most - the fans.

Good Luck and Hope you enjoy and stay awhile! The monsters always bite, the players are sometimes rude, but the game is awesome!

OK First a couple of questions for you....

1. Are you coming to DDO from a Pen N' Paper D&D Background, from an MMO Background, OR from neither of the aforesaid?

2. Which do you feel you'll do more of while playing DDO - Grouping or Soloing?

The Above are very important BUT I'll try to cover everything:

Server
    ------

Thelanis is currently the most highly populated Server BUT Khyber is a close second - If you want a large population either would be a good choice.

Ghallanda, Sarlona and Argonessen also have pretty good populations though as well and each has a slightly different Bonus/Negative:
    G-Land has a large European Population so would be a good choice if you play at Non-US Peak times.
    Sarlona has a large Chinese Population so obviously if you're from the Orient would be your #1 Choice.
    Argo has in my personal opinion...the Highest population of Elite gamers {Note..NOT Elitists though like all servers it has those too}.

Cannith and Orien are Newer servers and as such have slightly lower populations:
    Cannith is My Home Server and like G-Land does have a higher than average number of European Players.
    Orien is probably the server I know the least about and have spent the least amount of time on {I personally didn't enjoy playing on Orien BUT that probably had more to do with the fact that I'd overstretched myself playing on multiple servers than anything else}.

Wayfinder - The Newest {and by far the smallest in Population}:
    Only choose Wayfinder if you're an AVID Soloer OR want to help BUILD said server up.
    The Devs could give up on it at any time though and merge it with one of the others.

Classes and Builds
    -----------------

If you truly wish to play a melee character as your first {and main} AND you have no intention of Deleting said character and remaking it {Many people will tell you not to fall in love with your first character} then...

I'd suggest starting with a Fighter over Barb or Paladin.

You get much more personal choice with Fighters and mistakes are less likely to gimp you bad.

The Enhancement pass coming up in the near future is {according to these forums} going to change things BUT I'd personally go for a Stalwart Fighter over a Kensai {the two Prestiges which you choose from at lvl 6 BUT you have to work towards either}.

A Stalwart is Nominally a Tank BUT DDO is different to the majority of MMOs and Tanking is NOT the be-all and end all - Plan to do DPS too {it can be done}.

Human is the best choice of race in my opinion {Dwarf a close second}.

Human Fighters get 3 Feats at Lvl 1 {Dwarves - and other races 2}

1. Toughness, Power Attack, Cleave
    2. Augment Summoning {Makes Hirelings much more useful}.
    3. Exotic Wpn Prof: Bastard Sword {Dwarf Fighters get Dwarven Axe as a Martial Weapon}
    4. Great Cleave
    6. Shield Mastery, Two Handed Fighting
    8. Improved Crit Slashing
    9. Improved Shield Bash
    10. Improved Shield Mastery
    12. Improved Two Handed Fighting, Dodge
    14. Combat Expertise
    15. Improved Trip
    16. Stunning Blow
    18. Improved Sunder, Greater Two Handed Fighting
    20. Toughness

You could also drop Augment Summoning, Combat Expertise and Improved Trip for the 3 Dragonmark Feats if you're planning on using a certain named Bastard Sword at End-Game.
    I'm not sure this is an option for someone new to the game though as the grind required to get said sword is INSANE!

Or you could take Mobility and Spring Attack instead of Augment Summoning {Swap out Augment with Fred in House J at Lvl 12 for Mobility} and the second Toughness feat.

The Big Advantage of B-Swords and D-Axes is that when used with a Shield they count as Two Handers BUT
    Use a TRUE Two Handed Weapon at Lvl 1 and 2 {Greataxe/Greatsword etc.}
    Be rdy and willing to swap to your TRUE Two Hander whenever you're not worried about taking too much dmg {most of the time} even after you have your Sword and Board set-up.
    BUT
    Remember that Sword and Board is nowhere near as bad DPS as some people make it out to be and is extremely viable these days in itself {IF you want to stick with your sword and board then by all means DON'T LET People tell you otherwise!}.

At End Game there's plenty of people who'll be very happy you're around {Good Tanks are few and far between and WHEN they're Needed are TRULY Needed!}
    NOT Everyone in game can Tank Raid Bosses on their Sorcs/FavSouls even if these forums sometimes read like that's the standard.

Stats
    -----

Str and Con obviously
    Dex as high as you can manage
    Int 13 if you're taking Combat Expertise and Imp. Trip
    Charisma helps with your Intimidate.
    Wisdom is your Will Save BUT Unfortunately is also your Dump Stat.

Don't go all out on Constitution - Dex and Int are both Valuable and a Tank can get away with 14 Base Constitution {as can everyone if only people would calm down}.
    If you're a Dwarf you'll have a Bonus to Constitution anyway.

Don't go all out on Strength either - Remember the other stats - 18 Base Str is a lot more costly than 16!

BASE INT Requirement for Combat Expertise is 13 - This includes Tomes {+1s Available cheap on the In-Game Auction House} so 12 is enough at character creation {you won't be taking CE till late in life anyway}.

You're wearing Heavy Armour and you'll Have Damage Resistance too BUT Dex is STILL Valuable - Feats and Enhancements...AND Gear...All come together to boost your Armour's Dex {and with it your Dodge} capability.