Thread: Weapons in Vale

Default Weapons in Vale

So, Ok a little debate:

I've been running a fair amount of stuff in vale. I've got a pure S&B pally who has a fairly wide array of weapons. However, I find that I am leaning heavily on the following:

* A BTCoE Poison Scimitar of enfeebling (-1 CON on hit, -1 to -6 CON on crit). Or is that "weakening?" I forget. It deals CON and poison damage.

* A Paralyzing Khopesh of Lacerating.

* A Vorpal Khopesh of Pure Good (I believe).

* A Banishing mace of somethingorother - I think it is Screaming.

In the vale, the paralyzer is the way to go for nearly all situations, because I take stuff on maybe 1 or two at a time - so no debate there. In the quests, however, it is not as cut-and-dried.

Vorpals work on virtually everything, but the lack of decent second damage-dealing attribute makes it a low DPS weapon per swing.

The banisher can instakill a lot of stuff (RWTD, Fiendish critters, of which there are many), but banishing as well as vorpal effects require a natural 20 roll. The secondary effect gives it a little more damage-dealing potential than the vorpal, in my opinion.

The paralyzer is nice, but doesn't generally work well on casters - especially in Ritual Sacrifice - which would be the prime target for the effect.

The poison scimitar is GREAT and kills a lot of stuff. It works just about everything, and has the capability to stun casters. The problem is you really have to whack away at them for a while until it takes effect. By that time, you've absorbed a lot of damage.

I've got others, but they are mainly specialty beaters - silver holy of evil outsider bane, cold iron holy of evil outsider bane, a smiter, and so on. However, they tend to have a more narrow focus.

So, which of the four do you think are better suited for the quests in the Vale? Or, do you have an alternative combination (something reasonable)?

Community Member

My favorite general trash beater is still a GS lightning II weapon. I go shock/good instead of holy/shock. It does a less damage on the evil stuff but that makes it an effective beater on pretty much any non-lightning immune trash except in RWD.

Cannith crafted Flame-touched WOP rapiers (cold iron for RWTD).

you'll thank me later.

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    Cannith crafted Flame-touched WOP rapiers (cold iron for RWTD).

you'll thank me later.
    What, specifically is WOP? Wounding of Parrying?

Quote Originally Posted by bsquishwizzy View Post
    What, specifically is WOP? Wounding of Parrying?
    Wounding of Puncturing.

Not the god-mode weapons they used to be, but still excellent.

As a non-monk i think the best way to go is to use the highest DPS weapon available to your char. Simple as that. Maybe carry a banisher for elementals but thats it.
    Gimpfest
    Gorlacon 6th life BF Assassin ~ Gyristroula 6th life Human Disciple of Light ~ Reepz 5th life PDK Kensei ~ Gorlaxz 5th life BF Pala
    Orien

In my experience, banishers work on just about everything in the vale. Paralyzers are great, too

Community Member

It needs to be asked....

You don't have access to Cannith challenge gear, then? Since you have the Exotic prof already, a Khopesh of Ice would be the clear best option...Paralyzing, plus more straight damage-per-hit than anything else you listed.

Barring that, do you have Eveningstar? Cormyrians could also be very useful - again, better straight DPS than any of those affix combinations (Shroud procs generally >> Xd6-on-hit type affixes), and a CC mod as well (preferably Paralyzing)

Also to consider: Phosphor or Coronation from Necro IV, Axe of Adaxus from GH, maybe Envenomed Blade from Lords of Dust (which is F2P, so you have that for sure).

The best purely lootgen weapon you should be looking for would be a Scimitar/Rapier (depending on your Improved Crit feat) of Greater Bloodletting/Heartseeker. On a weapon with 30% crit profile, that mod can add over 11 damage per hit, and is untyped and universal. By L16 you should be able to find it paired with a good prefix too, if you're lucky.

Just from the ones you've listed, I think Paralyzing is the way to go for any quests where the majority of mobs aren't immune (and I think everything in Vale is pretty much paralyze-able?). Its got a good general damage suffix, plus Paralyzing will give you a DPS boost on paralyzed mobs that outshines any of the other affixes. Generally I say to run with one general-DPS weapon (paralyzer), and then carry a Banishing/Smiting/Disrupting weapon for missions that are heavy with Outsiders/Constructs/Undead.

If you're a S&B pally, have you made room for Cleave and Great Cleave? They're a huge boost to your DPS even against single targets (with +1/2[w], respectively), and they'll let you turn your Paralyzing effect into an AOE, which helps a lot with quest situations where you cant pull.
    Last edited by droid327; 07-08-2013 at 04:31 PM.

lit2 gaxe or holy of evil outsider gaxe for most things.

There is no reason to stay s&b in most of the quests at the moment, you'll get a lot more dps out of just using a 2h weapon then swapping to s&b when you need to turtle up. S&B your dps will be much less and you'll have a hard time beating the self healing of any mob that can self heal. It's just not a good damage solution, you have the attack speed of a 2h weapon for the most part but you don't have the damage of it.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Paralyzing will give you a DPS boost on paralyzed mobs that outshines any of the other affixes. Generally I say to run with one general-DPS weapon (paralyzer
    For the record, paralyzing does not cause helpless status. Paralyzed mobs do not take extra damage.
    Ceruleus ~ Nnomad ~ Nnia ~ Nnurgh ~ Cynnical
    Cannith

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    It needs to be asked....

You don't have access to Cannith challenge gear, then? Since you have the Exotic prof already, a Khopesh of Ice would be the clear best option...Paralyzing, plus more straight damage-per-hit than anything else you listed.

Barring that, do you have Eveningstar? Cormyrians could also be very useful - again, better straight DPS than any of those affix combinations (Shroud procs generally >> Xd6-on-hit type affixes), and a CC mod as well (preferably Paralyzing)

Also to consider: Phosphor or Coronation from Necro IV, Axe of Adaxus from GH, maybe Envenomed Blade from Lords of Dust (which is F2P, so you have that for sure).

The best purely lootgen weapon you should be looking for would be a Scimitar/Rapier (depending on your Improved Crit feat) of Greater Bloodletting/Heartseeker. On a weapon with 30% crit profile, that mod can add over 11 damage per hit, and is untyped and universal. By L16 you should be able to find it paired with a good prefix too, if you're lucky.

Just from the ones you've listed, I think Paralyzing is the way to go for any quests where the majority of mobs aren't immune (and I think everything in Vale is pretty much paralyze-able?). Its got a good general damage suffix, plus Paralyzing will give you a DPS boost on paralyzed mobs that outshines any of the other affixes. Generally I say to run with one general-DPS weapon (paralyzer), and then carry a Banishing/Smiting/Disrupting weapon for missions that are heavy with Outsiders/Constructs/Undead.

If you're a S&B pally, have you made room for Cleave and Great Cleave? They're a huge boost to your DPS even against single targets (with +1/2[w], respectively), and they'll let you turn your Paralyzing effect into an AOE, which helps a lot with quest situations where you cant pull.
    I was originally THF, and have gone S&B. I've debated taking THF feats, but just for chuckles I stuck with S&B to see how things go.

This debate is up there with taking Khopesh over Bsatard Sword. Never done Khopesh before, so I decided to go that route.

And moving from THF to straight S&B means that most of my Falcions / Greatswords are no longer valid. In turn, it means rebuilding a new cache of weapons as if I were in a first-life situation. However, In have the plat to spend, so I'll get what I can find on the AH.

Maybe I'll farm Cannith challenges for that Khopesh of Ice.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    There is no reason to stay s&b in most of the quests at the moment, you'll get a lot more dps out of just using a 2h weapon then swapping to s&b when you need to turtle up. S&B your dps will be much less and you'll have a hard time beating the self healing of any mob that can self heal.
    First, my decision to go straight S&B was one of those experimental things - I had a TON of shields hanging around in the collective inventories of my toons, I'd figured I'd use them. You're right on all points, especially the self-healing. That being said, for the most part, I haven't run into a whole lot of problems. My biggest problem with the self-healers if the fact that a majority of them cast displacement or blur. That I'll need to rectify with a TS item, or the like.

That being said, I was thinking about maybe re-doing the class with an LR with I hit lvl 20 (< 1K xp from 18 now), up until I checked out some of the Lammania notes, and got the impression that if you're going DoS (which I am) you have to remain pure S&B. So I figured I'd just stick it out until the enhancement pass.

I've got this same toon moved over to the beta server, and was going to see how the enhancements washed out for DoS. I haven't had the time to check it just yet.