Community Member

Default Request thf fighter barb build

as it says iv looked through the forum but everyone seems to splash a bit of rogue in there and i dont get why but anyone know of a good fighter barb build let me know and if you could tell me the pluses and the drawbacks of having the barb splashed into the fighter id be really greatfull thanks

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...-Fighter-build That link has some of the drawbacks of pure versus multiclassing w/ barb.
    Imo? I like /2 rogue, for evasion (when I'm not in heavy armour for prr) and UMD. (Trap skills on a fighter is a pest :c)

So many questions I could ask. In short, what tomes, how many build points, what races? Dps or tankish? Self healing? (doesn't play nicely with barb)

Reading your OP, you want fighter with some barb? I think. I'm not sure.
    Most of the drawbacks of fighter with a little barb were listed by Unbongwah, but the main ones; You can't be in defensive stance (rage ruins it, so no stalwart). Pure fighter gives more dps. Rage ruins any hope of self healing, aside from potions. (and they suck)

Barbarian only becomes good when you have lots of barb levels. (Maybe a warchanter build? But that's irrelevant) 1-11 barb is meh. 12 gives +1 crit multiplier on 19-20. Level 18 gives THREE crit multiplier on 19-20.
    *Note. Above paragraph is just my opinion. If someone disagrees, so be it.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfurnace View Post
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...-Fighter-build That link has some of the drawbacks of pure versus multiclassing w/ barb.
    Imo? I like /2 rogue, for evasion (when I'm not in heavy armour for prr) and UMD. (Trap skills on a fighter is a pest :c)

So many questions I could ask. In short, what tomes, how many build points, what races? Dps or tankish? Self healing? (doesn't play nicely with barb)

Reading your OP, you want fighter with some barb? I think. I'm not sure.
    Most of the drawbacks of fighter with a little barb were listed by Unbongwah, but the main ones; You can't be in defensive stance (rage ruins it, so no stalwart). Pure fighter gives more dps. Rage ruins any hope of self healing, aside from potions. (and they suck)

Barbarian only becomes good when you have lots of barb levels. (Maybe a warchanter build? But that's irrelevant) 1-11 barb is meh. 12 gives +1 crit multiplier on 19-20. Level 18 gives THREE crit multiplier on 19-20.
    *Note. Above paragraph is just my opinion. If someone disagrees, so be it.
    well im still new to the whole multi classing but im going for the hit accuaracy of the 2 handed fighter and i think i get a 2h bonus if i take a barb level iswell or do i have it wrong this is a pure dps no tanking or anything like that thanks for your help

Uh.. No. I don't think you get any THF to-hit from a barb level (aside from +2 from barb rage)
    However, with the current to-hit system (and AC system) you won't have any issues hitting, unless you dump str. (Well. Partial BAB classes might. My TWF druid had a major issue at level 18, but that's another story.)
    I'd just go pure fighter. Nothing fancy, but crude and efficient.
    18 str, 16 con, rest you can dump. First 5 level ups into str to qualify for OC.
    Kensei III (and pre-reqs), toughness, cleave, great cleave, THF line (you have enough feats to waste some). Oh. And Stunning Blow. Get it, abuse it. It's fun. I won't throw one together in a planner, a pure THF fighter... You cannot mess that up. Not possible. Toughness and power attack at level 1, cleave at 2, stunning blow at 3, great cleave at 4. Then kensei pre-reqs, then THF/ITHF/GTHF. Simple.

Come epic levels, Overwhelming Critical would be #1. The second, idk. I don't normally hit level 24 on a hack 'n' slash build

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wayneb1987 View Post
    well im still new to the whole multi classing but im going for the hit accuaracy of the 2 handed fighter and i think i get a 2h bonus if i take a barb level iswell or do i have it wrong this is a pure dps no tanking or anything like that thanks for your help
    In terms of to-hit, barbs are kind of a wash: you gain Rage which boosts your STR and therefore your to-hit; but you also need to take the barb Power Atk enhs, which lowers your to-hit while PA is on. That said, under the new AC system, I wouldn't worry about your to-hit.

Pure ftr or barb is the way to go if you just want a THF DPS build; both class capstones are worthwhile. MCing is about adding versatility or survivability at the expense of max DPS. Ftr 12 / barb 6 / rog 2 builds have been around a long time; the build I posted to the thread Soulfurnace linked was just a variant on the Archon.

Picking the right build is as much if not more about finding the char which best suits your playstyle and what you want to be able to accomplish in-game. A lot of people will tell you what's optimal; but no one can tell you what you think is fun. And that's why we're all here (in theory), right?