Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Key word in bold. That's the problem for these folks. They saw the description (7-15) and thought "hahaha, but I know better than that!" and then found out they didn't actually know better and it only works as described. Was Turbine counting on that? Almost definitely. However, as the only players Turbine took advantage of were those who were seeking to -and likely had in the past- take advantage of Turbines short sighted stone coding, is it shady? Only marginally at most.

These players who've been so egregiously wronged were simply trying to take advantage of (what they assumed would be) a flawed design, and instead got taken advantage of themselves by getting a (non-flawed) product that did exactly what it said it would.

You will see no restitution from Turbine on this matter.
    Flawed design? I beg to differ. They came right out and posted a year ago that they were aware that the ottos stone gave more xp if xp boosts were in place, but they NEVER ANSWERED THE QUESTION if this was WAI or not. Assuming its flawed design is just as much conjecture as someone else thinking it was WAI.

The main issue is leaving it in game for as long as they did sets an expectation. If they did not want that expectation to be set they would have answered the question. That level of ambiguity was being counted on, and it was called out rather quickly when it was discovered that bigbys stone was not behaving the same way as ottos did. If they did not want that level of ambiguity, dispelling it would be as easy as putting it into the description. But that doesnt drive sales, now does it....
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Founder

Key word in bold. That's the problem for these folks. They saw the description (7-15) and thought "hahaha, but I know better than that!" and then found out they didn't actually know better and it only works as described. Was Turbine counting on that? Almost definitely. However, as the only players Turbine took advantage of were those who were seeking to -and likely had in the past- take advantage of Turbines short sighted stone coding, is it shady? Only marginally at most.

These players who've been so egregiously wronged were simply trying to take advantage of (what they assumed would be) a flawed design, and instead got taken advantage of themselves by getting a (non-flawed) product that did exactly what it said it would.

Making an assumption from how something worked previously is only logical. People don't go around the world constantly questioning whether each thing they encounter will work the same way it did previously. You and all those on this same tired track are making a specious argument.

Community Member

Its not a hard thing to use basic logic to understand. Clearly the fact you got bonus xp with the old stones was an exploit, the fact a number of threads talking about the technique did get closed when it all first started with the free xp stones with MOTU to help keep it more hush hush showed that to be the case in my eyes. The fact it wasnt discussed because again it was obviously not condoned but at the same time demand for the item was high due to the addicted nature of those caught up in the TR grind. So they re released the item, perhaps they had behind the scenes tried to remove the xp bonus each time they put them back up for sale. I imagine this to be the case, and what lead to the only real fix a new xp stone built from the ground up to avoud the issue. And a need to market it to the playerbase had the effect they hope for of getting some TR addicts to shell out cash in huge heaps as I once did for this game eagerly a few years back

The fact is if you ever really loved DDO and do love D&D its time to walk away guys, it has been for a while. No dont go to NWO either, just walk away from MMO, the industry is in a downward spiral and I wish no fellow gamer to pay into a failing style of gaming.

Get a good console, or just use some skype like online method to play with your old buddies who now live far away.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanngiostr View Post
    the item worked as described
    This is not true. Whether you consider the stacking xp nature or not.

to expect more really was just making an assumption and it didn't take more than 30 minutes for a Dev to answer the question of stacking in the forum when asked.
    There was no assumption to be made actually. These affected players were operating off of precedent. The precedent that existed across a year involving two different versions of the stone released at least 6 times. Any changes to the function of that product should have been reported to the consumer.

Cordovan's statement, which appears multiple times in this thread, was made around 4 hours following the release of the product to holiday sale. In this time frame many bought boxes. Again, operating on precedent. With funds they intended to purchase Otto's Boxes with.
    Khyber: Evandus, Halfdeadd, Licoricewhip, Sawyn, Elkabongg, Brothanumsi, Soulbro, Cromix.
    And an army of gimp experiments!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    Making an assumption from how something worked previously is only logical. People don't go around the world constantly questioning whether each thing they encounter will work the same way it did previously. You and all those on this same tired track are making a specious argument.
    When they changed the item... alarm bells could/should have gone off.

"Oh look, they made a new item that says it's going to take me from 7 to 15... Could this be their long unanswered question about the extra XP we've all been taking advantage of?"

It really doesn't matter.

They probably thought it was bad form to go back thru the old ones and change them. So they just created a new item that functions exactly as it says it does.

Oh well... The previous x times you did it... You were able to gain MORE than the average gamer, because you had inside knowledge. Now it function exactly as it is sold... An item that takes you from 7 to 15.

Disappointing you didn't also get a free million + XP on top of that? Sure... It used to get you a full 50% more xp, right? For the same cost. But it was only the few that knew about the hidden features.

You can't please everyone. The people who paid money for the stone, and didn't know about this have a huge lost opportunity. The people who had the old stones and used this feature gained a HUGE bonus above what was stated.

Let this thread die... They are clearly not going to say anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Flawed design? I beg to differ. They came right out and posted a year ago that they were aware that the ottos stone gave more xp if xp boosts were in place, but they NEVER ANSWERED THE QUESTION if this was WAI or not. Assuming its flawed design is just as much conjecture as someone else thinking it was WAI.

The main issue is leaving it in game for as long as they did sets an expectation. If they did not want that expectation to be set they would have answered the question. That level of ambiguity was being counted on, and it was called out rather quickly when it was discovered that bigbys stone was not behaving the same way as ottos did. If they did not want that level of ambiguity, dispelling it would be as easy as putting it into the description. But that doesnt drive sales, now does it....
    How many times has the community asked about something WAI or not? How many responses have we got? They do not communicate with us. Apart from "coming soon", there is little-to-no feedback from anyone (rare cases from MajMal). But God forbid we try and openly criticize them, then the TOS and EULA come out into full effect.

And yet we still keep coming back.

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    The Stormreach Campaign
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Quote Originally Posted by taurean430 View Post
    In this time frame many bought boxes. Again, operating on precedent. With funds they intended to purchase Otto's Boxes with.
    How many are many and can you be sure of their intentions? Obviously you can speak for yourself, which explains why you're getting so hot and bothered about this because you feel duped that something delivered what it said in it's description.

Your claim to precedent based on a different item entirely that you assumed to be identical, is easily countered by stating that the Otto's stones were bugged.

Now I can see that you're just hell bent on arguing this around in circles and circles, so I'm going to step out of this thread now. You've stated your case. Some people agree and lots don't. But you're only interested in hearing from those who agree with you, so I'll leave you to it.

Do we know the design was flawed? Has there been official word on this? Seriously, the product had been out a year in different packages and discussed multiple times on the forums. There were no thread closings I've been aware of regarding discussion of the xp stacking nature involved with using one of the potions that came with it with a boat buff active and a voice of the master on. There have been at least a few discussions involving other mechanics where the topic was closed, then cubed immediately. That's what Turbine does historically with those kinds of discussions. At least that's been my observation for over 4 years now.

Again however, this type of statement goes pretty deep into the assumption waters. And that's another discussion I believe. One would be foolish not to note how sales of the stones skyrocketed once the xp stacking nature was reported. However history shows through multiple releases of the stone this year that the mechanics were unchanged. And with the new box, the change in the mechanics went unannounced. Only after players came to the forums with questions was it even mentioned that this was done...
    Last edited by taurean430; 07-11-2013 at 11:42 AM.
    Khyber: Evandus, Halfdeadd, Licoricewhip, Sawyn, Elkabongg, Brothanumsi, Soulbro, Cromix.

Key word in bold. That's the problem for these folks. They saw the description (7-15) and thought "hahaha, but I know better than that!" and then found out they didn't actually know better and it only works as described.
    Almost nothing works exactly as described. We're left to scour the wiki and forums to get accurate descriptions of the limitations and benefits of many items. And, yes, we often have to make assumptions of current or previous behavior and take leaps of faith.

For example, I recently attempted to LR because I never put a point in my diplomacy with my Artificer, and it turns out that the epic moment of Shiradi is intimately linked to Diplomacy. But, guess what? I had a level banked and was xp maxed toward the next level. So when I attempted to do it I was told that I could not do the LR until I took my level. Where was that in the description? There were reasons why I had all that xp banked (didn't want to out level my static group, had content I still wanted to run and get bravery bonuses on to get epic XP toward my destinies, etc.) So I was forced to take a level. But for some reason (probably because of how some XP bonuses stack) even after I took the level I was 15k into the NEXT level. That was not how that previously worked either. I'd banked a level before and maxed out and I never had TWO levels actually banked. So then I was forced to take TWO levels above my static group to finish my reincarnation (just to respec my Diplomacy.)

The LR descriptions did not cover this issue. And the behavior of how banked XP is handled changed at some point as well (another undocumented "feature").

Bottom line: Experience and information in-game, on the forums, and on the wiki are far more likely to provide information that is more accurate than Turbine's "descriptions". And this would include expecting something called a "Stone of Experience" to work pretty much just like something else called a "Stone of Experience" has worked for the last year. And until someone or something actually explicitly proves otherwise, it only makes sense that a significant number of people in the game would naturally assume so. This demonization of people who trusted Turbine to notify them of such a significant change in the behavior of the item is silly. People weren't trying to get over on anyone. They were dropping upwards of $40 to get something that ended up not performing as expected.

In the real world, when that happens, most consumers have RECOURSE.

You don't know whether the stacking XP bonuses was a flawed design. Those bonuses aren't free. They are earned or paid for. Having them stack could just as easily have been "incentive" or for "transitional sales." Turbine most certainly sold more XP pots, Otto Boxes, and True Hearts as a result of what you're calling some kind of flaw. If it was a flaw, they had more than a year to fix it. And they continually released the product. Despite what you may think, the signal they were sending was that it was intended behavior.

Your assumption that it was somehow flawed is a much more wrong-headed and biased assumption than the assumption made by players that the new "Stone of Experience" would function pretty much just like the old one.

Do you know for an absolute certainty that no one has been refunded for their purchases? I've been refunded for the purchase of an augment that didn't explicitly say it was BTA (I wanted to give it to someone else). If I can buy unbound augments with Astral Shards in game you'd think that buying them with Turbine points would be the same. But that's not the way it works and the description didn't indicate otherwise. So Turbine did the right thing and refunded the transaction.

There is no reason they can't do the right thing again with this situation.

The fact that some people are taking such a hard-line stance on this against other players is more indicative of the polarization of the stone's effects within the game. That's a very different issue from the kind of service we should be expecting from a company like Turbine. They should have had the foresight to know that many players would purchase the "mo better" stones expecting them to function like previous stones. They failed to disclose that information at the point-of-sale and therefore failed to deliver on the expectations of those customers. This is not good for Turbine or their players. They absolutely can, and should, address the issue. And, further, it should become policy to disclose, at the point-of-sale, any change to established behavior (undocumented or otherwise.)
    Last edited by Full_Bleed; 07-11-2013 at 11:42 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Full_Bleed View Post
    Apparently people haven't read that 3 page lawyer jargon they accept every patch when they play this game...

http://www.southparkstudios.com/full...-humancentipad

Quote Originally Posted by 350zguy View Post
    Apparently people haven't read that 3 page lawyer jargon they accept every patch when they play this game...

http://www.southparkstudios.com/full...-humancentipad
    You mean the ones in my Sig?

EDIT: No wait...those links are now broken...ffs. I'll be fixing that

http://www.turbine.com/en/content/du...-terms-service
    Last edited by Luxgolg; 07-11-2013 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlock View Post
    How many are many and can you be sure of their intentions? Obviously you can speak for yourself, which explains why you're getting so hot and bothered about this because you feel duped that something delivered what it said in it's description.
    Not hot, bothered, or any other cute things you wish to paint me as. And in case you haven't noticed yet, I started this thread to bring attention to an issue that affected many paying customers. It's not my responsibility to present you with sales numbers and demographics. I'm not sure Turbine would be willing to do so either for you.

Your claim to precedent based on a different item entirely that you assumed to be identical, is easily countered by stating that the Otto's stones were bugged.
    1. Please show me a statement made by a Turbine Employee regarding the stone in Otto's box being bugged, ever. I'll be waiting...

2. Precedent is achieved by observing the multiple times the very same functioning stones have been released over a year period. Being reasonably intelligent I'd expect you to recognize this simple fact.

Now I can see that you're just hell bent on arguing this around in circles and circles, so I'm going to step out of this thread now. You've stated your case. Some people agree and lots don't. But you're only interested in hearing from those who agree with you, so I'll leave you to it.
    I'm interested in Turbine doing something about bleeding their customers out due to poor communication, arbitrary unannounced changes, etc.

Have a great day! And yes I do intend to bring this issue attention. Though hell bent doesn't qualify as a metaphor regarding anything I've done. Thanks.
    Last edited by taurean430; 07-11-2013 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Luxgolg View Post
    How many times has the community asked about something WAI or not? How many responses have we got? They do not communicate with us. Apart from "coming soon", there is little-to-no feedback from anyone (rare cases from MajMal). But God forbid we try and openly criticize them, then the TOS and EULA come out into full effect.

And yet we still keep coming back.
    Yep, the beautiful thing is that people CAN keep coming back, as this no longer equates to paying into the system. Those people who let their points pile up for a few years to the point where they can easily buy all new content free were the smart ones.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Founder

which explains why you're getting so hot and bothered about this because you feel duped that something delivered what it said in it's description.
    Oop...here we go again putting words - no worse, feelings - on other people...

Community Member

As the points that the OP, Full Bleed, and others have made, I don't really understand why people are trying to demonize the consumer. The OP is offering a solution for those patrons that felt wronged by the transaction between patrons who anticipated and reasonably expected a historically operating product. Please keep in mind the series of events:

1. People asked for the Otto's Box to be released for the holiday weekend.
    2. Turbine rep says not only will we offer that but we'll make it BETTER.
    3. People buy Turbine Points to stock up.
    4. A different product was released and turns out was less of a deal than just offering an Ottos and it was a different product altogether.
    5. People are frustrated.
    6. OP offers a solution

No one is asking for anything free, just fair and reasonable communication and product offering. If the statement by QuartermasterX wasn't made, sure, people would've waited for the "right" product to be released before purchasing.

So what is up with the nasty overtones to make the consumers of Turbine products look/feel bad? Is it a stretch to expect something to be as it was for over a year?

If your spouse/significant other comes home with a sex change one day after 1 year of being "the same", would you feel a little put-off? Oh wait, maybe you should ASSUME change is always the case and NO to little notification would suffice. Ok, maybe an extreme analogy but if the same Great Pizza I had purchased for 1 year got changed and I was told by the Pizza place owner that he/she would provide me with something BETTER and it is not, hell yes, I would be upset and would want what I knew as the "old" pizza.

If you don't agree with the solution provided by the OP, offer another solution, perhaps? OP wasn't looking for a debate on how the Box was suppose to work, just an option to win back the patronage of the consumers of the "new" product that felt jipped.

Money was spent here. We're not talking about the "NO" notification on my FOM cookies that I saved up from every coin festival event to use on my gimpy toons while questing. Only to wake up one day and they have become Shock weapon buffs. I, as others, were really perturbed about that but since there was no RL money exchange, I could chalk that up to terrible Turbine communication.

Now here we are with people who spent $40 per box and I expect there to be some backlash for that terrible or NON communication. Some can easily see this as even deception. People that are buying are the people that keep the existence of the game. Whether you like the box idea or not, it was a product by Turbine that was produced for revenue. Don't scr*w the pooch.

1. Please show me a statement made by a Turbine Employee regarding the stone in Otto's box being bugged, ever. I'll be waiting...
    It's Turbines policy to stay silent on exploits, even after the exploit has been fixed. Even in the release notes fixing of exploits is never discussed. Some examples: trading of BTA gear, finishing HoX in 10 seconds, barbarian past life being bugged for years. Turbine only makes an official statement when the servers are taken down to fix a real gamebreaking exploit. You are asking for a statement which they will never make...

However, considering that

1) the new stones have been fixed to bring you exactly to level 15,
    2) there has been heavy moderation in topics discussing the mechanics of getting more XP out of Otto's box,

we can safely assume that the mechanic was an exploit, or at least, not WAI.

2. Precedent is achieved by observing the multiple times the very same functioning stones have been released over a year period. Being reasonably intelligent I'd expect you to recognize this simple fact.
    That has been poor policy on Turbine's behalf, which I think is objectionable. The exploit should've been fixed right away, yet it lingered on for a long time. Failing to fix it immediately wrongfully created expectations. That, however, is no reason not to fix a problem!

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Assuming its flawed design is just as much conjecture as someone else thinking it was WAI.
    A fair point, one I'll be happy to concede; yes, assuming it was flawed is as valid as assuming it was wai.

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    Making an assumption from how something worked previously is only logical.
    I completely agree. For instance, I found it logical to assume that since none of the quest-based XP bonuses applied to other public instance sources of XP (namely the Meridia crafting tutorial) that they wouldn't apply to any others. I also found it illogical that standing at a trainer & selecting the "level up as..." option would count as a quest.

So to be fair, I'll ask:
    What is your logical reasoning that all the quest based xp bonuses should have been working & applying to a non-quest environment? Or, what is your logical reasoning that using the stone should have counted as a quest?

The incongruity of those situations is what led me to logically assume that the stone (being effected by bonus sources) was indeed not working as intended; and further, that based on the highly established precedents of the past, player benefitting bugs will be addressed & corrected.
    One would be foolish not to note how sales of the stones skyrocketed once the xp stacking nature was reported.
    Yes, and the same thing happened with the Shears. They sold them already knowing (from Lamania reports) about the issues, put them on sale and raked in some cash. The only real difference is that the Shears never came back.
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow - btw, do you have change for 10 million population?

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by EvilEssence View Post
    No one is asking for anything free, just fair and reasonable communication and product offering. If the statement by QuartermasterX wasn't made, sure, people would've waited for the "right" product to be released before purchasing.

So what is up with the nasty overtones to make the consumers of Turbine products look/feel bad?
    These people aren't "arguing", they are judging and that's why their comments are loaded with nastiness. Apparently they are incapable of discussion based purely on the facts. They loathe those who actually use the Stone of XP and would rather sling mud like they're in a political campaign than have a rational discussion. If any of the people I'm talking about denies this, then I guess they're just insulting and nasty to people they disagree with because that's how they operate all the time. But most of them have actually stated in this thread or others that they disagree with use of the XP Stones which is why you can make the connection between this opinion and their nastiness.

Community Member

A fair point, one I'll be happy to concede; yes, assuming it was flawed is as valid as assuming it was wai.

I completely agree. For instance, I found it logical to assume that since none of the quest-based XP bonuses applied to other public instance sources of XP (namely the Meridia crafting tutorial) that they wouldn't apply to any others. I also found it illogical that standing at a trainer & selecting the "level up as..." option would count as a quest.

So to be fair, I'll ask:
    What is your logical reasoning that all the quest based xp bonuses should have been working & applying to a non-quest environment? Or, what is your logical reasoning that using the stone should have counted as a quest?

The incongruity of those situations is what led me to logically assume that the stone (being effected by bonus sources) was indeed not working as intended; and further, that based on the highly established precedents of the past, player benefitting bugs will be addressed & corrected.

Yes, and the same thing happened with the Shears. They sold them already knowing (from Lamania reports) about the issues, put them on sale and raked in some cash. The only real difference is that the Shears never came back.
    That's nice that you logically believed the stone was not wai. But youre not turbine. You cant really tell us jack.

They wont be fixing any already in circulation and they havent said that it was a mistake or wai. Your logic on the matter is inapplicable in this thread.

Also, xp buffs are not tied to quests. XP EARNED only. Your quest argument is thinly veiled excuse to rubb in wounds of consumers who were swindled with a purposeful lack of communication by the seller.

Theyre not going to release a statement on it, nor do they erase any thread posts on how they stacked with xp buffs. They havent FIXED Otto's yet.

They released them at least 3 times after knowing the stones granted xp and xp buffs stacked.

We dont even know if future Otto's will be WAI. Or fixed, or what again exactly it's meant for

So, please stop it with that already, everyone. Makes you all look really salty that people were leveling to 19 and a 1/2.

Community Member

Does it matter if many is only one. A single Bigby's stone shouldnt have went on sale without Turbine saying it will not stack before release!

They stated it was bugged then fixed Otto's, or released a product labeled as better under Bigby's?

How many is lots and can you be sure of their intentions ?

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast