Community Member

Default Dwarf Rogue Questions

I made dwarf rogue, currently level 6. Since they have the axe damage and attack bonus I thought it be cool use hand axes. Im going weapon finesse but I was disapointed to find out rogues arent proficient with Hand axes. Is it feesible to use those scrolls of the master to gain proficiency with them or am I better off spending a feat to do so?

It's certainly possible to use scrolls of master's touch to gain proficiency with hand axes. Is it recommended? I wouldn't. You'll do more damage with a pair of rapiers. Given most of a rogue's damage will be coming from sneak attack it wouldn't be a big loss to go with hand axes. But it seems like a lot of trouble to go through just to do less damage.

I wouldn't spend a feat on proficiency. Feats are too hard to come by. If you really want to have access to other weapons consider taking one level of fighter. That would give you all the martial weapon proficiencies as well as a bonus feat.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodySunday View Post
    I made dwarf rogue, currently level 6. Since they have the axe damage and attack bonus I thought it be cool use hand axes. Im going weapon finesse but I was disapointed to find out rogues arent proficient with Hand axes. Is it feesible to use those scrolls of the master to gain proficiency with them or am I better off spending a feat to do so?
    Problem with rogues is that they are an extremely feat starved class. For that reason, i wouldn't suggest the profficiency feat. I'd also suggest dropping finesse, to-hit is not a problem atm in the game and most of the best end-game weapons for rogues have a dexterity to-hit and dmg modifier anyway. You can also get some of these early in the game - lvl 10 i think is the first one.

If i was to go trough the trouble of scrolling masters touch (inconvenient) i'd make sure to have an exteme weapon in mind. Dwarwes can even scroll masters for normaly exotic dwarwen axes, just something to keep in mind, tho there are none worth the trouble at end game imo atm.
    NESALOMLJIVI, Thelanis

If you plan on going this way-I would suggest a splash of Fighter 1 or 2 levels for the additional feats and Martial Weapon Prof's.

You may even want to change to STR Based and Dual D. Waraxes or a Great Axe

My Dwarf Rog. went 12 Rog-8 Fighter and I could get prettty much any trap in the game.

My elf rogue has 1 level of fighter just so he can backstab people with a falchion. XD That being said, if you take 1 level of fighter you, as a dwarf, will gain access to dwarven axes. Imo, wacking someone from behind with a D-axe would be fun AND effective.

But, as always, one should never just pick up a level of anything without planning for it before hand. If you're only level 6 you might want to consider a reroll.

Quote Originally Posted by grodon9999 View Post
    This game has been such an absurd grind that I’d rather stick my junk in a beehive than make another toon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    An expansion . .. with a set of packs for each plane to come out every month or two . . . it'll be like crack to Whitney Houston.

Btw, don't use a two hander weapon. Make sure you get all the two weapon fighting feats.
    NESALOMLJIVI, Thelanis

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

FWIW, here's an old dwarven rogue build of mine. It's pre-MotU, so I'm not sure how I'd tweak it to add Imp Sneak Atk.
    Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 03.16.01
    DDO Character Planner Home Page

Level 20 True Neutral Dwarf Female
    (20 Rogue) 
    Hit Points: 282
    Spell Points: 0 
    BAB: 15\15\20\25\25
    Fortitude: 11
    Reflex: 15
    Will: 6

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
    Abilities        Base Stats          Modified Stats
    (32 Point)       (Level 1)             (Level 20)
    Strength             16                    23
    Dexterity            15                    17
    Constitution         18                    20
    Intelligence         12                    16
    Wisdom                8                    10
    Charisma              6                     8

Tomes Used
    +2 Tome of Strength used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Constitution used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Intelligence used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Charisma used at level 7

Level 1 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Selected) Two Weapon Fighting

Level 2 (Rogue)

Level 3 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Selected) Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Dwarven Waraxe (swap for Power Atk or Precision later)

Level 4 (Rogue)
    Ability Raise: STR

Level 5 (Rogue)

Level 6 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Selected) Toughness
    Enhancement: Rogue Damage Boost I
    Enhancement: Rogue Damage Boost II
    Enhancement: Rogue Haste Boost I
    Enhancement: Dwarven Axe Damage I
    Enhancement: Dwarven Spell Defense I
    Enhancement: Rogue Subtle Backstabbing I
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness I
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness II
    Enhancement: Rogue Assassin I
    Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Accuracy I
    Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Training I
    Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Training II
    Enhancement: Improved Hide I
    Enhancement: Improved Hide II
    Enhancement: Improved Move Silently I
    Enhancement: Improved Move Silently II

Level 7 (Rogue)

Level 8 (Rogue)

Level 9 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Two Weapon Fighting

Level 10 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Rogue Bonus) Improved Evasion

Level 11 (Rogue)

Level 12 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons
    Enhancement: Rogue Haste Boost II
    Enhancement: Dwarven Axe Damage II
    Enhancement: Dwarven Spell Defense II
    Enhancement: Rogue Assassin II
    Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Accuracy II
    Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Accuracy III
    Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Training III
    Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Training IV
    Enhancement: Rogue Wand and Scroll Mastery I
    Enhancement: Rogue Wand and Scroll Mastery II

Level 13 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Rogue Bonus) Opportunist

Level 14 (Rogue)

Level 15 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Selected) Greater Two Weapon Fighting

Level 16 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Rogue Bonus) Crippling Strike

Level 17 (Rogue)

Level 18 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Selected) Hamstring

Level 19 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Rogue Bonus) Skill Mastery

Level 20 (Rogue)
    Enhancement: Rogue Extra Action Boost I
    Enhancement: Rogue Extra Action Boost II
    Enhancement: Rogue Haste Boost III
    Enhancement: Rogue Haste Boost IV
    Enhancement: Rogue Deadly Shadow
    Enhancement: Dwarven Spell Defense III
    Enhancement: Rogue Assassin III
    Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Accuracy IV
    Enhancement: Rogue Wand and Scroll Mastery III
    Enhancement: Rogue Wand and Scroll Mastery IV
    For 28-pt build, I would either drop INT to 8 or CON to 16. Once you have a ready supply of Master's Touch scrolls, you can swap d.axe prof. for Power Atk or Precision. [Another option: start with g.axe prof. @ lvl 1 and swing them until you're ready to swap it for TWF.]

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by PrimalConcreteSledge View Post
    Problem with rogues is that they are an extremely feat starved class. For that reason, i wouldn't suggest the profficiency feat. I'd also suggest dropping finesse, to-hit is not a problem atm in the game and most of the best end-game weapons for rogues have a dexterity to-hit and dmg modifier anyway. You can also get some of these early in the game - lvl 10 i think is the first one.

If i was to go trough the trouble of scrolling masters touch (inconvenient) i'd make sure to have an exteme weapon in mind. Dwarwes can even scroll masters for normaly exotic dwarwen axes, just something to keep in mind, tho there are none worth the trouble at end game imo atm.
    Duergar waraxes are very nice, same crit profile as a khopesh, though less versatile than a khopesh.

My personal recommendation is rapiers, and get yourself a balizarde when you get that far.

Again, most of your damage is from sneak attack anyway. For this reason you definitely want to dual wield I would say (more attacks = more sneak damage). There's some very good rogue builds/guides around if you want to read up on them, with various styles and builds. Some rely heavily on assassinate (int based assassin build), some on DPS (max DPS rogue build - str based), some focus on stealth, acrobat builds, etc. read up on what's effective and fun... then build your own build with that new knowledge (or copy one, we don't care).

Quote Originally Posted by Inoukchuk View Post
    My personal recommendation is rapiers, and get yourself a balizarde when you get that far.
    Typically the only weapon-specific feats rogues take are Improved Crit and maybe khopesh prof. Balizarde is keen already, so no need to take IC:Piercing for it; and every Assassin should go for eMidnight, IMHO, which does benefit from IC:Slash. So it's easy to use d.axes (w/Master's Touch) on a dwarven rogue and mix it up with eMG & Balizarde later on.

easier way would be to splash in one fighter level, you'll even get a bonus feat and better attack bonus, I doubt it will hurt your current build

Splashing an assassin costs you -4d6 SA and -2 Assassinate DC (1 for the splash, 1 for losing +2 INT capstone). I wouldn't do it without a really good reason and "one extra feat" is not a sufficiently good reason, IMHO.