Thread: Epic Gianthold

Default Epic Gianthold

I've just come back to the game after being gone for over two years and tried to do the final quest in Gianthold with a group. I quickly found out that I was not flagged for it because they were doing the epic version of that quest. Thus, my question is exactly how do I become flagged for it? Do I need to redo all of the Gianthold quests but on Epic difficulty now?
    Pirating's much more my style.

Community Member

You must reflag on epic.
    return to cabal for one
    return to prison of planes
    return to madstone crater
    return to gianthold tor
    then you can do fall of truth raid
    (crucible is no longer a flagging requirement, heroic or epic, thank goodness)
    the quest givers are different for the epic versions, and note the difference in quest name
    make sure you talk to the chain quest giver (three chalaces above her head by the farshifter) and then I think she tells you to talk to another giant near her who might also serve to advance the chain.
    There is a chain reward now for doing cabal, pop, madstone, and tor -- each time you complete all 4. just make sure you pick up the chain quest.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

So am I correct in thinking that my toon that skipped gianthold leveling this life (I skip all quest with an epic version while leveling my trs so I have plenty of epic xp to play with instead of grinding one or two quests til the end of time) I am actually not flagged for Reaver's fate and would need to do the heroic versions with her to be so? I confess gianthold is not my favorite place, and I'm not fully conversant with the new mechanics.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Quote Originally Posted by Catteras View Post
    You must reflag on epic.
    return to cabal for one
    return to prison of planes
    return to madstone crater
    return to gianthold tor
    then you can do fall of truth raid
    (crucible is no longer a flagging requirement, heroic or epic, thank goodness)
    the quest givers are different for the epic versions, and note the difference in quest name
    make sure you talk to the chain quest giver (three chalaces above her head by the farshifter) and then I think she tells you to talk to another giant near her who might also serve to advance the chain.
    There is a chain reward now for doing cabal, pop, madstone, and tor -- each time you complete all 4. just make sure you pick up the chain quest.
    I... think I understand. I went to Gianthold earlier and picked up one of the quests although I honestly can't tell if it is the regular or epic version. (Madstone Crater) I'll have to head back there and poke around with some of the quest givers to see if there is a difference.

I'm so glad to hear that the Crucible is no longer required. I remember pugging that one to be a nightmare.
    Pirating's much more my style.

Quote Originally Posted by Scherwiz2 View Post
    I... think I understand. I went to Gianthold earlier and picked up one of the quests although I honestly can't tell if it is the regular or epic version. (Madstone Crater) I'll have to head back there and poke around with some of the quest givers to see if there is a difference.

I'm so glad to hear that the Crucible is no longer required. I remember pugging that one to be a nightmare.
    nono

madstone crater is heroic version

return to madstone crater is epic version

a cabal for one is heroic versionn

return to a cabal for one is epic version

also, the chain giver for epics is a giant, not cydonie

to do reaver you'll need to flag with the heroic chain, to do fall of truth you'll need to flag with the epic chain

also skipping heroic quests with epic version is pointless, only useful if you wanna farm all ED in 1 life and think that will be bored of grinding ssame 2 quests for xp, keep in mind that xp/min is what really cares to ppl when farming ED

so you can farm 1 ED today, in 2-3 days farm another ED

meanwhile always can do raids or try to get some ****** scroll/seal/shard, im almost capped and didn't skip any quest at heroic lvl nor have farmed anything to cap, in fact think only have done EH runs and some snitch/small problem/big top for guildies seals/shards

von5/6 and adq give plenty xp every run, also tod, vod and other heroic raids give xp if done on elite
    psykopeta - hoarding pl, for the sake of hoarding, the day i become ubercompletionist will be because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS i'm not a pro, maybe if i reincarnate in RL...

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by psykopeta View Post

also skipping heroic quests with epic version is pointless, only useful if you wanna farm all ED in 1 life and think that will be bored of grinding ssame 2 quests for xp, keep in mind that xp/min is what really cares to ppl when farming ED

so you can farm 1 ED today, in 2-3 days farm another ED

meanwhile always can do raids or try to get some ****** scroll/seal/shard, im almost capped and didn't skip any quest at heroic lvl nor have farmed anything to cap, in fact think only have done EH runs and some snitch/small problem/big top for guildies seals/shards

von5/6 and adq give plenty xp every run, also tod, vod and other heroic raids give xp if done on elite
    It's not pointless, and I find it a lot of fun. I basically can do most quets without an epic option once on elite with my group and move on to the next, only having to do a repeat on hard of a few in the teen levels. And then when we hit epics we do the same thing, start doing all of those once (this works on ehard and enormal, not just ee for once) til we cap and then every epic in the game has only one repetition penalty for us. We LIKE it that way, and get nice experience doing anything we went, not depending on raids.

And since they are changing tr's to tr'ing epic levels also soon, it's a good system to be in the habit of for our group(and I'm not saying every group, this is the preferred method of our group for our trs and fun levels), as well as the sheer amount of fun (which I posit IS the point) we have of running the entire game and not just popular high xp/per minute quests. And it reduces the boredom factor of the inherent repetition of the game because there are only so many quests in the game, period, and there are NO quests or raids we haven't done enough times to make our eyes bleed. LOL I'll just go and blow my capped toons through heroic gianthold for any who care about Reaver's Fate.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Gianthold is a little bit different though than other epic version. It is probably easiest/best to simply see the quests as two entirely different chains. Ie:

The Reaver's Bane (heroic chain)
    ================================
    Bestowed by: Cydonie

* Madstone Crater (bestowed by Blaze ar'Rhind)
    * The Prison of the Planes (bestowed by Nimbus ar'Yorg)
    * A Cabal for One (bestowed by Jorgundal ar'Grund)
    * Gianthold Tor (bestowed by Crag; requires all three dragons to be defeated for flagging)
    * The Reavers Fate (raid; bestowed by Cydonie)

The Fall of Truth (epic chain)
    ==============================
    Bestowed by Draznok ar'Athad

* Return to Madstone Crater (bestowed by Hworrl ar'Bryssan)
    * Return to the Prison of the Planes (bestowed by Maragogg ar'Mawn)
    * Return to Cabal for One (bestowed by Ysba Stonespear)
    * Gianthold Tor (bestowed by Phorrus ar'Kerl; does /not/ require dragons to be defeated for flag)
    * The Fall of Truth (raid; bestowed by The Stormreaver)

So, basically, even though the heroic and epic content takes place in the same locale, each of the quest have different quest givers and are part of a different chain.
    Characters on Sarlona: Ungnad (Morninglord, Wizard 17 / Favored Soul 2 / Fighter 1) -- Baerktghar (Dwarf, Paladin 18 / Fighter 2) -- Simulacruhm (Bladeforged, Artificer 16 / Paladin 3 / Wizard 1)

No matter what side of the argument you are on, you always find people on your side that you wish were on the other.
    -- Jascha Heifetz