Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Henshaw135 View Post
    For Protection From Evil, I have a clickie with 3 charges, so I'm not sure if I should take it at all.
    As a general rule, any buffs you can cast from clickies / wands / scrolls and which don't scale in effectiveness (only duration) with caster level, it's worth doing it that way on a sorc to preserve those precious spell slots for other things. Esp. since the min. duration of a lot of lvl 1 spells is now 5 mins. instead of one (e.g., Shield, Expeditious Retreat).
    If Stoneskin is stronger cast instead of from scroll/clickie, then that's the obvious choice. Thank you for pointing that out.
    One perk of Earth Savant is the caster level (CL) bonus applies to Stoneskin too, IIRC; considering how expensive the reagent for Stoneskin is, the more mileage you get outta each cast, the better, IMHO. Stoneskin does come on wands, but they're only CL:7 and no cheaper than the reagents, IIRC (tho they do drop in quests).
    Resist Energy I see in about every spell list, but as I get 10 points protection from my gear for almost everything (fire is from a clickie, 1/day only), I didn't see it as important.
    Resist Energy scales up twice: it provides 20 pts of protection at CL:7 and 30 pts at CL:11. Unfortunately, it doesn't go any higher than that; it just lasts longer. You can wand-whip it, but CL:7 and CL:11 Resist Energy wands aren't available from vendors, only as quest drops (which also means Auction House or trades w/other players).
    For Knock I thought I had a Clickie, but don't, so I will have to fit it in. Thank you for noticing.
    Knock also comes on wands, but the highest I've seen is CL:15; since the Knock DC scales with the CL, so you'll probably want it on your spell list eventually.
    Protection from Elements seemed to be left out from most spell lists, but I didn't really see the reason for that... I thought it looked very good, so I will re-think including it, especially as I will have to take care of my survival myself.
    Probably because it's rare to need protection against more than one or two elements at a time, so it's kinda overkill; you can cast or wand-whip Prot. from Energy instead (tho again CL:10 wands aren't available from vendors). Though I notice a lot of arcanes gets Mass Prot. from Elements so they can buff the party once then ignore them `til the next shrine.
    Still, my Tempest Trapmonkey takes double the time and get's damaged more, even with the Leathermail of Invulnerability (my Sorcerer is jealous for that, for sure), so I think I am doing quite well on the Sorcerer so far. :-)
    Check the AH and see if you can find Life Shield & Invulnerability shards. Or go to the crafting hall in House K; odds are you can find a friendly crafter willing to make them for you in exchange for plat and/or essences. Then farm for a BtA robe and craft yourself a Life Shield of Invulnerability robe. You've now got a nice survivability robe which never takes permanent dmg and can be passed to all your alts (if you have a shared bank, natch).

2015 DDO Players Council Dodoroq's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Check the AH and see if you can find Life Shield & Invulnerability shards. Or go to the crafting hall in House K; odds are you can find a friendly crafter willing to make them for you in exchange for plat and/or essences. Then farm for a BtA robe and craft yourself a Life Shield of Invulnerability robe. You've now got a nice survivability robe which never takes permanent dmg and can be passed to all your alts (if you have a shared bank, natch).
    Just a quick note, if you are going for the BtA robe/outfit, it drops as an end-reward of one of the Sharn quests, Dirty Laundry. It might be worth farming the chain somewhat anyways for nice no-ML BTA clickies...

And, not sure about how Sarlona goes, on Cannith shouting in a crafting hall with a request for help with the shards is usually successful after few minutes, in exchange for used essences. You need a crafter with Arcane school of 19 at least (pretty much everybody, you might even consider doing that on your own, won't take too long, and it's even lower for your own crafter) and Divine school of at least 74 (this might take some time). It should cost you 9 Greater body essences and 17 Greter Good Essences, pretty cheap :-).
    Characters on Cannith: Daian of the Tree, would-be completionist (life 12); Tirain Hawksong (4th life Monkcher), Sorain Hawksong (2nd life Wizard), several mules.
    Recruitment Officer and proud member of The Silver Legion on Cannith. Feel free to PM me about the guild!

Thanks for the info on the robe. I ran the Waterworks last night on Normal for the robe, and already got a Life Shield Shard. What I'm wondering about is, that when I used the Cannith crafting planner, it shows the lowest level to use as 9... That would mean I would have to run 2 levels without it, and I would guess those 1-2 first levels to be the critical ones as I am still getting used to the class (I'm learning fast though, and starting from level 1 wouldn't really help, as the character starts doing it's "real" job at 7 anyway).

So am I missing something in the crafting, or is the planner wrong?

I have a bid going for a level 7 Robe of Invulnerability on the AH which I can use until level 9, but if I lose the bid, I will look into crafting ASAP. I will definitely be making it in any case as I now have the base Robe for it.

As for the Spells:

I will definitely have to add Knock in. This informations is again exactly what I need, as the spell description doesn't really tell anything about CL.

As I have most resistances either in my gear, or as clickies/potions, I will leave the Resist Energy out for now, and re-think about it when it would actually give me 20 points. I will have to look into Protection from Energy/Elements later on, as it looks very nice to add on top of the Resist.

Thank you again for great info. I have done as much research as possible, but still some things seem to have eluded me. I guess my Spot isn't high enough. :-)

P.S: I got my DDO account merged to my LotRO account, so my Forum Name changed, if any of you have been wondering. :-)
    Last edited by Henshaw135; 07-11-2013 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Removed comment about Stoneskin, found it out myself

Quote Originally Posted by Henshaw135 View Post
    What I'm wondering about is, that when I used the Cannith crafting planner, it shows the lowest level to use as 9... That would mean I would have to run 2 levels without it, and I would guess those 1-2 first levels to be the critical ones as I am still getting used to the class (I'm learning fast though, and starting from level 1 wouldn't really help, as the character starts doing it's "real" job at 7 anyway).
    Skip the +1 shard; that's adding +2 to the ML for no discernible improvement. AC is pointless on a sorc, at your level, anyway; later on, you may want to pick up some Greater Twilight armor of <something something> - more for the PRR than the AC, though. EDIT: maybe combine w/Skyvault; use the augment slot(s) for Spellpower bonuses.
    Last edited by unbongwah; 07-11-2013 at 09:07 AM.

Community Member

If not running with a frozen tunic, I typically make a robe that has just invulnerability on it (ML1) then later apply a Life Shield Shard which makes it ML 7. You do not need to apply all the shards at once, so just wait until you are high enough level before adding the second effect.

Invulnerability by itself is plenty for low levels.

Down the road, if run up a crafter of your own, you can add a master craftsmanship shard, which reduces the ML by 2, making LifeShield of Invulnerability a ML 5 item. Unfortunately there is no unbound Master Craftsmanship shard, so you have to be able to craft it yourself.
    TPICKRELL forum identity still broken, 15 weeks and counting... So yet another throw away Forum identity

Good points, Grubbby, but OP started lvl 7 (Vet II), so he doesn't need to worry about that.

I find myself alternating between my LSoI and Frozen Tunic; the former is better protection, while switching to the latter is better for ice spells, ofc.

Thanks again for the info, it's been a great help. :-)

I got myself a Life Shield Robe of Invulnerability, and even all the shards and empty BtA Robe for a second one, so I can upgrade the one I have with AC bonuses later, or whatever comes to mind. Or make a Leather Armour for my Treapmonkey. :-) The Armour really performs very well, although I don't get hit that much in the first place, as I keep moving. Still being able to trust my gear let's me enjoy the stories in quests and the athmosphere more, as I don't have to concentrate on my healthbar all the time. :-)

Only thing that is lacking now, is my Spellpoints. I had to drop all spell damage buffing toggles as I get very low even without on Normal quests, but then again, I only use magic. I guess that will get better though later on. Spellpoints are at 755, so there's not that much to do to get them higher either. I do have the Archivist Necklace for panics though. I have gone as low as 250 in short level 4 quests on Hard (still getting used to how the character plays).

Most importantly, I am having a blast with the character. With all your help I have been able to make a build that fits my playstyle perfectly. :-)

At your level (sorc 6 / pal 1), the only thing you should be meta'ing regularly is your SLA, because it doesn't affect its SP cost; rt-click its icon on your toolbar and select "Always On" for your metas. Everything else should be switched off, except maybe for boss fights.

Thank you for mentioning the right-click. I can't believe it isn't done more obvious. :-)

Did some more questing today, doing level 4-5 quests on Elite (ones without defence) and almost all of the lower level quests that can be run on Elite, and I have to say the character rocks. Need to run Tangleroot Gorge in the weekend to see how well it plays on-level on Hard. Probably can't do that chain on Elite yet though. Will probably try anyway. :-)

I spread some +Rep around for thanks. :-)

Ok, I have now spent some time playing the character, and I have to say it's great fun. :-)

The second level of Paladin was a complete game-changer, as was level 9 with Blur and Displacement. All of a sudden the toon went from squishy to god-mode. Also the Life Shield + Invulnerability has made a huge difference. I ended up making another Robe with Fearsome + Invulnerability, and it makes most quests with humanoids and animals a breeze, even on Elite. Especially quests with lots of Dogs, Worgs or Wolves (knocked down doesn't matter if the enemies run ;-) )

What I still am not sure of, is my spell list... There are more than 4 spells I would want for most levels, especially before I get better ones for the purpose later on. I have had to make some very painful compromises, like dropping Web (I know it's almost vital, but I feel I need other spells even more). All in all, I have had to leave all crowd control out, and rely on the Fear from my Robe instead. That doesn't work against Undead though.

If I could get opinions and comments on my spell list, I would appreciate it greatly.

Here's what I have so far at Sorcerer 7 / Paladin 2:
    Code:
    Level 1:
    Burning Hands
    Jump
    Niac's Cold Ray
    Nightshield

Level 2:
    Blur
    Melf's Acid Arrow
    Scorching Ray (switched in to replace Web, as needed even more single-target damage against Undead, and wasn't really using/needing Web)

Level 3:
    Acid Blast
    Displacement (haven't used a single time yet... haven't had a need. will be great later anyway)
    Then the list of spells I have been thinking about, with some notes on the reasons:

Code:
    Level 1, 4 slots:
    ?Charm			1 Doesn't work on everything
    *Jump			1
    ?Detect Secret Doors	1 Can Wand
    ?Hypnotism		1 Doesn't work on everything
    ?Protection From Evil	1 Have Clickies and Trinket
    *Burning Hands		1 Could switch out, but very nice still at 9
    Niac's Cold Ray		1** Switched out at 13
    *Nightshield		1
    ?Ray of Enfeeblement	1 Should be very useful against Beholders at least, and maybe melees later on?

Level 2, 4 slots:
    Resist Energy		2 Can Wand, and have most resistances in gear. Should take at 13 or 19
    Knock			2 Can Scroll, Wand at 10, but might need later?
    ?Gust of Wind		2 For clearing out AOE:s?
    *Blur			2
    *Melf's Acid Arrow	2** Switched out at 14
    Scorching Ray		2
    ?Scorch			2 Would replace Burning Hands?
    ?Web			2 No room, but would be very nice

Level 3, 4 slots:
    *Haste			3
    *Displacement		3
    ?Hold Person		3
    ?Rage			3
    *Acid Blast		3** Switched out at 20
    *Fireball		3** Switched out at 16
    Protection From Energ.	3** Switched out at 19 for Mass Protection From Elements?

Level 4, 4 slots:
    *Wall of Fire		4
    Stoneskin 		4 Can Scroll, but much weaker
    ?Solid Fog		4 Have already Blur and Displacement, so not sure if viable at all
    Fire Shield		4 Can Scroll
    Acid Rain		4
    *Dimension Door		4
    Phantasmal Killer	4** Switched out at 17 for Finger of Death / Can Wand, but very weak esp. later on

Level 5, 4 slots:
    ?Hold Monster		5?
    *Niac's Biting Cold	5 Replaces Niac's Cold Ray
    ?Cone of Cold		5 Would be replaced by Otiluke's Freezing Sphere
    *Teleport		5
    *Cloudkill		5
    Dismissal		5 Required if not taking Banishment

Level 6, 3 slots:
    *Disintegrate		6
    ?Acid Fog		6 Worse than Cloudkill?
    *Greater Heroism	6
    Otiluke's Freez. Sphere 6

Level 7, 3 slots:
    ?Banishment		7 Required if not taking Dismissal
    Mass Prot Elements	7 Replaces Protection From energy?
    *Delayed Blast Fireball	7 Replaces Fireball
    *Finger of Death	7 Replaces Phantasmal Killer

Level 8, 2 slots:
    *Black Dragon Bolt	8
    ?Polar Ray		8 Would replace Niac's Biting Cold?
    ?Sunburst		8 Against Undead, but already have DB Fireball and Wall of Fire
    Otto's Irresist. Dance	8
    Greater Shout		8

Level 9, 1 slots:
    *Meteor Swarm		9

*SpellName	Mandatory
    ?SpellName	Nice, but not mandatory
    #**		Switched out later

So some levels are easy, but some have way too many good sounding spells, for which I need some opinions and knowledge as why some would be better than some others. :-)

What bothers me the most is the lack of CC, but after the spells I really want to include, I don't see where to get it from. Still, if some spells would help me more than what I have thought as mandatory, I really am open for suggestions.

Thank you in advance on any knowledge you might be able to share. :-)
    Bravery calls my name, in the sound of the wind in the night. My sword will drink blood. And I will fight, yes I will fight. In the Dawn of Battle!
    - Manowar, Dawn of Battle

Community Member

You can still use irresistible dance for CC.

I made a 2 pally / 18 sorc Bladeforged that went fire and force specced. Fire damage is resisted a lot, but force isn't so I have enough back up, and my meteor swarms do a lot of damage. I also have a pre nerf belashyras sceptre with major kinetic and fire lores, combustion 84, greater evocation focus and efficient empower. I invested in all three maximize cheapening enhancements, and two empower ones, and having both empower and maximize on together is only +15 spell points together with maxed out force and fire lines.

I didn't take any HP enhancements though, just relying on a brute con score, toughness and later on epic toughness and gear for HP.

If splashing paladin, Bladeforged are very powerful for this as they get 18 Cha, and additional +1 to all saves, 20% slashing damage resist, and soon a 25 SP reconstruct racial SLA.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    What is your goal with the build?

People present ideas all the time.. then ya get folks saying "that'll work"... but nowhere in this post does it say what the op Expects from the build?

Do you plan on drinking tons of Mana potions?

Do you plan on running only Casual and Normal content?

Cause thats the only way I see these builds being "do-able"

Give me an idea of what you want to do with the build and I can then give advice.
    2 paladin / 18 sorc is vastly superior to a straight 20 sorc throughout the game and especially in end game EE content where saves absolutely do matter. Shiradi negates having to make a DC caster anymore, and in EE DC casters already struggle to land any of their spells, while a 2 pally / 18 sorc can enjoy still having full DPS capability and 50+ in each save.

The build however is useless on a fleshie sorc, it works too much better with bladeforged now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12