Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Rainbow's too dark

There are three or four things that help you see in rainbow in the dark:
    The Radient Arc, spell summoned archon, SLA summoned archon, and maybe shadowwalk.

I propose expanding that list to include some of the following:
    -Summoned fire elemental
    -Fire elemental form
    -Body of the Sun
    -Radient Servant aura
    -Fire shield
    -Flame turret
    -Radient forcefield
    -Hypnotic pattern (?)
    -Undersun goggles
    -Faerie Fire (lesser radius)
    -Flaming weapons
    -Flame blades
    -Flaming Sphere
    -Wall of Fire
    -Fire seeds

The illumination from some of those could be of a reduced radius, but as it stands, it seems very odd that near-epic characters in a high-magic setting don't have more light sources available.
    Someone got it wrong. Everyone expected the Spanish Inquisition because they were required to give 30 days notice, by law.
    I can be found on Orien. My more active toons are Cilon, Solstone in Your Pack, and sometimes Acroyer.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSpacePony View Post
    The Radient Arc, spell summoned archon, SLA summoned archon, and maybe shadowwalk.

-Summoned fire elemental
    -Fire elemental form
    -Body of the Sun
    -Radient Servant aura
    -Fire shield
    -Flame turret
    -Radient forcefield
    -Hypnotic pattern (?)
    -Undersun goggles
    -Flaming weapons
    -Flame blades
    -Flaming Sphere
    -Wall of Fire
    -Fire seeds

The illumination from some of those could be of a reduced radius, but as it stands, it seems very odd that near-epic characters in a high-magic setting don't have more light sources available.
    The Undersun Goggles would make sense, though the wiki says they only work in the underdark.

The issue with the other ones is that they would have to be modified to produce actual light. I remember an old dev post from around the Carnival update talking about how the engine has trouble with light sources. The jist was that there is only allowed to be a certain number of sources hitting an object. If all of those started producing light, it would cause problems in other dungeons.
    Last edited by AZgreentea; 07-07-2013 at 09:01 AM. Reason: DDOwiki
    The problem is never how to get new, innovative thoughts into your mind, but how to get old ones out. Every mind is a building filled with archaic furniture. Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it.
    Dee Hock

the problem I have with the summoned archon is that it rubber bands to you, not follow and its very weak. that was my experience when I soloed it on my paladin lives. after awhile I just switched between weapons and flashlight and threw away the scrolls.

not sure if underdark goggles should work in there though. is there underdark radiation in Rainbow?

Community Member

-Summoned fire elemental
    -Fire elemental form
    -Body of the Sun
    -Radient Servant aura
    -Fire shield
    -Flame turret
    -Radient forcefield
    -Hypnotic pattern (?)
    -Undersun goggles
    -Flaming weapons
    -Flame blades
    -Flaming Sphere
    -Wall of Fire
    -Fire seeds

most of what you put dont give off enough light to see. Usually blast AOE's suck as fireball and such work alot better then any of the above (apart from the main 4). i've found that the wand of blasting works well (10 uses recharges every few seconds). but honestly, whats the point of adding more? there is the arc, which if your not with the person whose got it, and they wont come back to get you then your in the wrong group.

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

Why?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

-Summoned fire elemental
    -Fire elemental form
    -Body of the Sun
    -Radient Servant aura
    -Fire shield
    -Flame turret
    -Radient forcefield
    -Hypnotic pattern (?)
    -Undersun goggles
    -Flaming weapons
    -Flame blades
    -Flaming Sphere
    -Wall of Fire
    -Fire seeds

fireball, lightning rod(arti spell), some aoe can enlighten an area(like ice storm and discoball)

and, also, the objective in the quest is quite easy to understand: stay together
    psykopeta - hoarding pl, for the sake of hoarding, the day i become ubercompletionist will be because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS i'm not a pro, maybe if i reincarnate in RL...

-Summoned fire elemental
    -Fire elemental form
    -Body of the Sun
    -Radient Servant aura
    -Fire shield
    -Flame turret
    -Radient forcefield
    -Hypnotic pattern (?)
    -Undersun goggles
    -Flaming weapons
    -Flame blades
    -Flaming Sphere
    -Wall of Fire
    -Fire seeds

Is this quest really too hard for you? I recommend joining a guild or asking for advice on the forums if you are having a hard time with Vale quests.

Quote Originally Posted by Satyriasys View Post
    Is this quest really too hard for you? I recommend joining a guild or asking for advice on the forums if you are having a hard time with Vale quests.
    Not sure where in my OP I said the quest was too difficult.

It just makes little sense to me that an archon lights the area, but glowing clerics and flaming elementals do not.
    Someone got it wrong. Everyone expected the Spanish Inquisition because they were required to give 30 days notice, by law.
    I can be found on Orien. My more active toons are Cilon, Solstone in Your Pack, and sometimes Acroyer.

Should fire effects produce light, yeah they should but like mentioned there is probably a technical reason for it, I'd rather not have them mess with it and break five other quests. If you really hate the quest and the light, turn your gamma up for this quest and you can see regardless.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Violith View Post
    most of what you put dont give off enough light to see. Usually blast AOE's suck as fireball and such work alot better then any of the above (apart from the main 4). i've found that the wand of blasting works well (10 uses recharges every few seconds). but honestly, whats the point of adding more? there is the arc, which if your not with the person whose got it, and they wont come back to get you then your in the wrong group.
    Actually a couple of shots from the eternal wands like acid splash and spark flinger work pretty well as tracers that emit light. 2-4 shots are normally plenty for me to make my way around stuff. Granted at times I have to let them recharge. Which is why I go in with SMIV scrolls normally.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Should fire effects produce light, yeah they should but like mentioned there is probably a technical reason for it, I'd rather not have them mess with it and break five other quests. If you really hate the quest and the light, turn your gamma up for this quest and you can see regardless.
    I agree that I wouldn't want to see anything broken. On the other hand I don't see how difficult it would be to make fire elemental form produce the same illumination as an archon in the one quest only.

Where is this "I hate the quest" coming from? I like rainbow and farm it most lives. I'm just trying to make a design suggestion here.

Default runearm fire effect works too

it's been a nice "feature" im sure the interns did not plan on it working

Community Member

It would be nice if Drow could see without the flashlight. The player character Drow, I mean. The npc Drow seem to see just fine in the dark wherever.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    Actually a couple of shots from the eternal wands like acid splash and spark flinger work pretty well as tracers that emit light. 2-4 shots are normally plenty for me to make my way around stuff. Granted at times I have to let them recharge. Which is why I go in with SMIV scrolls normally.
    Do you have to target an enemy?

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mindos View Post
    Do you have to target an enemy?
    nope, just pew pew.

Calculating numerous sources of light with shadows would probably induce lag... That is a no-no in my book. But the OP is right, a huge fire elemental should produce enough light to see in the dark.
    -= Proud member of the MAC guild on Khyber =-
    Aganthor (Completionist (4/13), Human Paladin, L7)
    Alts: Caitlan (Ftr) / Gimlinas (Barb) / Chakmar (Sorc) / Shureyoucan (Monk) / Nessyia (Ranger), Dystran (Cleric), Karkwa (Rogue-Acrobat), Mekkanik (WF FvS), etc.

Not sure where in my OP I said the quest was too difficult.

It just makes little sense to me that an archon lights the area, but glowing clerics and flaming elementals do not.

you are correct. however, the correct fix would be to suppress the "Light" from the archons.

Rainbow in the dark is not dark just because you forgot to bring torches. Its darkness is a magical effect.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    you are correct. however, the correct fix would be to suppress the "Light" from the archons.

Rainbow in the dark is not dark just because you forgot to bring torches. Its darkness is a magical effect.
    I disagree about the Archons.

I would like to think that an Outsider... an Archon no less... with the name of "Lantern Archon".... could make a special light.

I also like that there "are" some options for this quest.

Actually, I am torn between what I think about this quest.

How nice it would be if groups were forced to stay together....
    But in reality people just get left behind.

.. and a party wipe here used to be almost impossible to re-enter and keep going. (not that anyone does that anymore...... )

So on one hand, I like that there are work-arounds and options.

But on the other hand, I love this quest and would hate to see it nerfed so that no one ever needs the "light" equiped to run this quest.

Probably best just to leave it alone.....
    Last edited by Talon_Moonshadow; 07-07-2013 at 09:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Community Member

The entire point of Rainbow is that it's very hard to do without the arc. Add in a dozen ways to bypass it, and it's just another quest.

Would be a bad idea, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaliya View Post
    The entire point of Rainbow is that it's very hard to do without the arc. Add in a dozen ways to bypass it, and it's just another quest.

Would be a bad idea, IMO.
    I considered this point before posting the OP. I mostly agree, but after farming in on 3 consecutive cleric lives, it never felt right that my prestige didn't make a dent in the darkness while archons did.

Admittedly the list I proposed is very inclusive and if I were a dev, I would not include many of the things on there, but I would consider each of them. I would probably add cleric and fire elemental auras as light sources. If I could easily make other things give off less light, I'd do that with many of the other items.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast