Hybrid View

Community Member

Default Feasibility of a DDO emulator?

I stopped playing the old EQ around the time of Planes of Power which felt like it had already jumped the shark before then. There seemed to be quite a few folks who felt the same way so they started work on an EQ emulator to recreate the original era of the game and it continues on today.

What are the chances of this happening with DDO?

I'm not sure what the legal issues are but if such a thing were to happen it would play so differently from how DDO works I doubt they would lose any customers since they are not aimed at the same people.

Every update takes us further away from the base D&D rules - I would gladly pay extra for a 'core rules' server or character option but I don't see that happening as they seem set on catering more to the WoW type crowd. If they won't make a real D&D game then an emulator that does shouldn't bother them right?

Just a note: When I say I want a core rules game I mean in every detail – permanent lvl drain, xp loss, the correct attack iteration, no enhancements or destinies, etc etc.

Community Member

They already have one. It consists of books, paper, and pencils/pens.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tscheuss View Post
    They already have one. It consists of books, paper, and pencils/pens.
    Don't forget dice, I like dice.
    Toons:
    Smallmans Syndrome, Rovac, Dragnipur, Prettyhater Machine, Lubed, Castinfist
    Emmpeethree, Hyperkill Hyperthrill and Greyvegas (All on Khyber)

Default here you go

Community Member

You guys is so funny!

So you funny peoples have no interest in a real D&D mmo, but some of us would love it. Does anyone have anything actually useful to say?

Quote Originally Posted by Zakharov View Post
    You guys is so funny!

So you funny peoples have no interest in a real D&D mmo, but some of us would love it. Does anyone have anything actually useful to say?
    DDO is a emulator based on the pen and paper D&D. So making an emulator from an emulator is kinda redundant. This is about as real of a D&D mmo as your going to get not unless you want to go play that Joke of a D&D game Neverwinter.

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

I stopped playing the old EQ around the time of Planes of Power which felt like it had already jumped the shark before then. There seemed to be quite a few folks who felt the same way so they started work on an EQ emulator to recreate the original era of the game and it continues on today.

What are the chances of this happening with DDO?.
    I suspect you are not talking of the tabletop version all the other told you ( I can probably add my two cents on that topic too, as I've got Several Editions of (A)D&D on my shelves. ( D&D Rule Cyclopaedia, AD&D 2, AD&D 3, AD&D3.5, D&D 4 ).

Well first, do you have any idea of what happened to the few the openly posted about information gathered about the internals of the game ?

The answer is that they were instantly banned both from the forum and the game.

Second there's a lot of 'plug-ins' available for the other games around, but look at what's available for DDO...

There's almost nothing, the only things you will be able to find are :
    - The LoTRO Dat Unpacker that works not that well on DDO files ( well it works fine on sound, but that's it ).
    - The Custom UIs, but those are just pictures in a directory
    - The LoTRO Dat Defragmenter that allegedly doesn't work anymore and is officially not needed anymore. ( both allegations are to take with a grian of salt )

You see the trend : The things are made for LoTRO and eventually some works with DDO.
    Now, there's nothing more from LoTRO that seems to work with DDO.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

What are the chances of this happening with DDO?

I'm not sure what the legal issues are but if such a thing were to happen it would play so differently from how DDO works I doubt they would lose any customers since they are not aimed at the same people.

Every update takes us further away from the base D&D rules - I would gladly pay extra for a 'core rules' server or character option but I don't see that happening as they seem set on catering more to the WoW type crowd. If they won't make a real D&D game then an emulator that does shouldn't bother them right?

Just a note: When I say I want a core rules game I mean in every detail – permanent lvl drain, xp loss, the correct attack iteration, no enhancements or destinies, etc etc.
    You can't legally use anything from Turbine. Nor can you legally use any intellectual property of Wizards (the D&D name, exact rules, etc). And at any rate, doing what you propose, legal issues aside is a lot of work. It'd be easier just to start from scratch and write your own MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisdinus7 View Post
    You can't legally use anything from Turbine. Nor can you legally use any intellectual property of Wizards (the D&D name, exact rules, etc). And at any rate, doing what you propose, legal issues aside is a lot of work. It'd be easier just to start from scratch and write your own MMO.
    It has been done in the past and there is some kind of way around such legal problems as it's been done with swg and star wars has the same kind of brand copyrights as dnd.

http://www.swgemu.com/forums/content.php?r=173

To see what I'm talking about.

That said the biggest problem imo would be deciding when was the period of this game you'd want. u13? u9? mod 1? everyone would have a different opinion.

There's more to DnD then the player's handbook or the dungeon masters guide.

Second edition is a collection of 40+ books.

Personally I think that DDO is the closest things to it (all those books).

And if you don't like enhancements and/or destinies, you can always opt for not taking them.

One, two! One, two! and through and through. The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
    He left it dead, and with its head. He went galumphing back.