Community Member

Default multiclassing and levels?

When you multiclass does your character only gain the skills that come with certain levels?
    For example your start off at fighter level 1 and then switch to paladin at level 2, do you miss the skills that the paladin gets at level one and you cannot gain the skills for fighter level 2?

I'm a cleric at level three right now, but I'm more use to magic characters or characters with ranged attack like the ranger. what level should I switch my character at?

I really don't care if you think I shouldn't switch to a magic or ranger character I just need advice.

Please don't use "cleric/1" ect. because I have no idea what that means because I really on just started this game two days ago.
    Last edited by misc13; 07-06-2013 at 04:51 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by misc13 View Post
    When you multiclass does your character only gain the skills that come with certain levels?
    For example your start off at fighter level 1 and then switch to paladin at level 2, do you miss the skills that the paladin gets at level one and you cannot gain the skills for fighter level 2?
    Everything adds up; you don't lose anything. You just add together all the abilities from the two (or three) classes that a single class character would get from that many levels in each class.
    Whenever you take the first level of Paladin, for example, whether at your first character level or later in multi-classing, you get the same skills as a first level Paladin and they're just added on to your character. Notable among those abilities would be Smite Evil and Aura of Good. If and when you take the second level of Paladin, whether as a single-class Paladin at second level or up to twentieth as multi-class, you get the abilities granted by level two of the Paladin class, notably Lay on Hands and Divine Grace.

One exception is that you get a bonus to skill points when you first create your character, four times the number you would at later levels. This means you should take the class with the highest number of skill points at first level to get the most bonus points (usually Rogue).

To put it perhaps a little more precisely, when you look at a class, you'll see different abilities listed under different levels, yes? So when you take a level in that class, those are the abilities you get.

So, if you start out as a fighter for your first level, you start out with the abilities that are listed under level 1 fighter, namely: +1 base attack, +2 fort save, 10 HP, proficiency with all simple and martial weapons, light, medium and heavy armor, and all shields, and a feat.

If you then take a second level of fighter, you get the level 2 fighter stuff which adds to what you already have. So your base attack bonus goes from +1 to +2, your fortitude save increases to +3, and you gain another fighter bonus feat.

If INSTEAD you choose to take a level in ANOTHER class, you get the FIRST LEVEL bonuses from that class. If you take Paladin, you get Aura of Good, Smite Evil, +1 base attack bonus, etc. etc. The purely numerical bonuses (hit points, saving throws, attack bonuses) stack with and do not OVERWRITE any bonuses you already have from other classes. Any OTHER bonuses you gain are usually based on the class you get them from. So, for classes that get a lot of abilities from class levels, heavy multi-classing is usually bad because you end up with a ton of low-level abilities and no high-level ones, and this game isn't a strictly linear one where 2 low-level abilities are just as good as 1 high-level one in many cases. (There are examples where this isn't the case because SOME abilities DON'T scale with level or are still useful without scaling, but it gets REALLY complex. Primarily what you should take away is that if you DON'T KNOW how abilities work and how they scale with class levels, DO NOT take levels in that class.)

Spellcasters (including Cleric) are THE WORST and HARDEST classes to multi-class effectively in DDO. Most of the melee classes are similar enough that even a relative newbie can multi-class them WITH OTHER MELEE CLASSES and wind up with a playable character.

If you primary enjoy offensive spellcasters and ranged characters, don't play a Cleric. In particular, don't Multi-class a Cleric. I personally have done a ranged-attacking offensive caster cleric who was an arcane archer and was highly successful, but she also had FIFTEEN PAST LIVES. Doing this on a first-life character is a recipe for disaster--you won't be able to do ANYTHING well.

It really sounds like you might enjoy playing an Artificer. They have good ranged ability by using a repeating crossbow. They also have a nice selection of spells for just about every purpose. Unfortunately Artificer is a premium class, meaning you have to either pay for it or earn it through House Cannith favor--which you can't get much of until level 18 or so, AND you have to pay for the House Cannith pack.

If you've only just started playing, though, I really, really, REALLY strongly advise you not try mixing ANYTHING with Cleric in particular--the class has its good points but it is SO complicated to play that you will gimp yourself into the Stone Age by fiddling with it unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing. If you don't like playing Cleric as-is, try starting a different character class instead and learning things that way.
    I edited a book!

Thelanis player: Arekkeh, Kimberlei (heroic completionist), Lehren (heroic/epic completionist), Natheme, Terpsikhore

Community Member

Multiclassing is for combining different classes to add some of their strength together.
    What you want to do is get rid of being a cleric.
    That is done by making a new character.
    Cleric is a class that would always be the primary class of character, meaning most of the levels would be cleric and it would mostly be played as a cleric, maybe then add archer abilities as a sideshow, worse an archer than an actual character that started as a ranger and not really feeling like playing one.

If you are totally set to not make another character and get rid of being a cleric simply stop taking cleric levels and take the rest in whichever class you want, there are no good levels to do that if you want to be an archer/mage.
    The more cleric levels you have the worse it will get as the game will have you fight enemys that are based on your total level, not considering that 3 of those and probably the starting stats as well are wasted on useless cleric levels.

I dont see any possible benefit over making a new character though as a level 1 ranger would already be an better archer than a level 3 cleric that takes a ranger level.