Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by moo_cow View Post
    Quests xp. I have a great idea lets make a bunch of quests and have them give half as much xp as the other quests at the same level and make them take 3 times as long. Seriously, I have met 3 total people in this game that run quests 1 time each. I would love to do so myself but running every quests once would take far to long when tr ing. When I see people doing mutliple tr lives they farm certain quests and skip 65% - 75% of the game content. When we get to certain level, for instance level 9 : people farm shadow crypt and von3, and they skip everything else, because everything else is **** in comparison to xp.
    I run everything once (or twice on a second life, once hard then elite) and do not farm high-xp quests like shadowcrypt or VON3.

I see the words "running every quests once would take far to long when tr ing" and I understand them individually but together in this order I can't make heads or tails of it. To me, tring is the game; running everything once (or twice to unlock elite) and done is the full game experience for me.

Epic stuff is quite fun, but I have guild raids for that and plenty of epic alts to bring to them. Most of my game time is spent tring because that's where I think the game shines. Skipping content (either by farming, stoning, or whatever) runs completely counter to how I enjoy the game.

I have a few issues with this game, and I know for a fact that at least some people would agree.

Problem #1 & 2:

The problem with this game is lack of content, I can live with bugs, but content is just blah. There is no reason to run content outside of gianthold and eveningstar, except for a few certain quests which are worthy of running for loot. Old epic items need a complete overhaul first of all, most people got their loot from gianthold 2 + months ago. Whats to run after that with gear out there that is just ****. Secondly, content doesn't come often enough. Epic Gh came out about 4 months ago I think. 4 months time and we have 11 total dungeons to run, woohoo. Since gianthold just added 1 new dungeon it didn't even feel like a new update. To me, it feels like we haven't had much to do since update 16, and even than only 5 whole quests were added.

Problem #3 :

The addition to Epic destiny's a few update's ago ruined the fun of the game. Instead of running content 1-2 times every so often we get to run the same quest 50 000 times per toon. Hurray, good fun. If they wanted to implement epic destiny's in the first place, experience for level 5 of that destiny should have been cut way way down. The only way that this was even slightly a good idea, is if they thought everyone was gonna make a toon, get them to level 20, complete 1 destiny, than tr. No one does this thought unfortunately, its 60X faster if you just get to level 25 in a good destiny that you have done in the past and than grind 1 quest.

Problem #4 :

Quests xp. I have a great idea lets make a bunch of quests and have them give half as much xp as the other quests at the same level and make them take 3 times as long. Seriously, I have met 3 total people in this game that run quests 1 time each. I would love to do so myself but running every quests once would take far to long when tr ing. When I see people doing mutliple tr lives they farm certain quests and skip 65% - 75% of the game content. When we get to certain level, for instance level 9 : people farm shadow crypt and von3, and they skip everything else, because everything else is **** in comparison to xp.

Pretty much everything I said makes the game boring and makes people want to look for a different game.
    #1 & 2 theres a lack of end game content. theres a difference. one of the things that keep people playing and busy is reincarnating. without it, DDO as is would have fallen apart years ago. the problem also with end game content is that its easier to get named loot on hard since EH is solo/shortman friendly for some people. old epic items do need an overhaul, but at the same time, I can see why it shouldn't. with supposedly better gear that gets released constantly, it outdates the older stuff which makes it at best epic twink gear. its like trying to make TS loot still viable for level 20. gear should be good for that level range it was intended for. because its considered easy to complete quests and easy to farm for loot or the BTCoE can be easily traded/bought, people wear out the new quests within a couple months. that just leaves raids, which are 2 at the moment, that get run.

#3 I agree there is no fun in ED farming. when I did it, I wanted to get through it as fast as possible and back to having my character feel powerful again. being in an ED the total opposite of the class made it feel very weak and didn't want to burden groups with her gimpness by not being in her proper destiny. farming RB actually felt like work and in the amount of time it took me to get all my twists, I could have TR'd another character and brought it back to 20. there needs to be a more fun way to do this.

#4 the last few lives I did almost every quest once on elite. I farmed only a handful of quests and skipped just a handful. my barbs final life, I skipped all the heroic quests that could be played on epic, except Tor flaggers and Tor that I just ran once. I hit kinda of a dead end and didn't want to run slayers again to level. by doing all that and playing pretty much every day and logged on, not necessarily always questing, for 5-6 hours I always capped within 4 weeks. once in awhile I had an xp pot running, but usually not. 4-5 weeks to cap used to be considered about right a couple years ago. the grind for cap actually has gotten significantly better the past couple years with more content, higher xp pots, vip xp, crafting even gives xp, tomes of learning and BB. the grind really hasn't gotten harder, its gotten easier.

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

Well aren't you miss popular.

Actually I play on argo as well, you may know me by the name of docpeppers. Most the lfm's I see don't usually fill or they just fill slowly. When epic gianthold came out the server was very full of lmf's running it of course but, since than it has steadily declined from what I can see. Even chat channel runs seem to be down and there are people leaving constantly. These things may be just because I'm not miss popular, but I'm not quite sure.
    Maybe I am, maybe I'm not.

I'm not saying that everyones experiences do, or should match my own in game. But what I see, and what I experience I've stated as true to the fact as I am able. I simply can't see the game dying right now. I've honestly tried. Rolled alts that I told no one about and leveled them to cap un-guilded in pure pugs. and I had 0 problems most of the time. So maybe it all just boils down to luck? Who knows.

Also, of course I know you.

To be fair 95% of those abbot groups wipe and those titan runs are lead by the same person using bypasses each time.
    Can't say much on the abbot runs outside of Trix's runs, and as far as I know those go pretty well. The others I'll not comment on since I'm not friends with, or in a channel with the people in those runs that fail. And as for the Titan runs, you're right. Jaz does lead pretty much all of them, but I've been in about 10 of the runs so far and most of the spots we pugged where different people in each run, so it's not like it was just one group of people running it.

Either way, imo it's content and raids being run by people on our server. Something I'm happy about and not going to complain about.

I have a few issues with this game, and I know for a fact that at least some people would agree.

Problem #1 & 2:

The problem with this game is lack of content, I can live with bugs, but content is just blah. There is no reason to run content outside of gianthold and eveningstar, except for a few certain quests which are worthy of running for loot. Old epic items need a complete overhaul first of all, most people got their loot from gianthold 2 + months ago. Whats to run after that with gear out there that is just ****. Secondly, content doesn't come often enough. Epic Gh came out about 4 months ago I think. 4 months time and we have 11 total dungeons to run, woohoo. Since gianthold just added 1 new dungeon it didn't even feel like a new update. To me, it feels like we haven't had much to do since update 16, and even than only 5 whole quests were added.

Problem #3 :

The addition to Epic destiny's a few update's ago ruined the fun of the game. Instead of running content 1-2 times every so often we get to run the same quest 50 000 times per toon. Hurray, good fun. If they wanted to implement epic destiny's in the first place, experience for level 5 of that destiny should have been cut way way down. The only way that this was even slightly a good idea, is if they thought everyone was gonna make a toon, get them to level 20, complete 1 destiny, than tr. No one does this thought unfortunately, its 60X faster if you just get to level 25 in a good destiny that you have done in the past and than grind 1 quest.

Problem #4 :

Pretty much everything I said makes the game boring and makes people want to look for a different game.
    This I agree with pretty much 100%. Turbine seems to want to pull the game in 100 different directions, and every update they seem to focus on a different direction. It gets tiring trying to play around their indecisiveness.
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life 8/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    #1 & 2 theres a lack of end game content. theres a difference. one of the things that keep people playing and busy is reincarnating. without it, DDO as is would have fallen apart years ago. the problem also with end game content is that its easier to get named loot on hard since EH is solo/shortman friendly for some people. old epic items do need an overhaul, but at the same time, I can see why it shouldn't. with supposedly better gear that gets released constantly, it outdates the older stuff which makes it at best epic twink gear. its like trying to make TS loot still viable for level 20. gear should be good for that level range it was intended for. because its considered easy to complete quests and easy to farm for loot or the BTCoE can be easily traded/bought, people wear out the new quests within a couple months. that just leaves raids, which are 2 at the moment, that get run.

#3 I agree there is no fun in ED farming. when I did it, I wanted to get through it as fast as possible and back to having my character feel powerful again. being in an ED the total opposite of the class made it feel very weak and didn't want to burden groups with her gimpness by not being in her proper destiny. farming RB actually felt like work and in the amount of time it took me to get all my twists, I could have TR'd another character and brought it back to 20. there needs to be a more fun way to do this.

#4 the last few lives I did almost every quest once on elite. I farmed only a handful of quests and skipped just a handful. my barbs final life, I skipped all the heroic quests that could be played on epic, except Tor flaggers and Tor that I just ran once. I hit kinda of a dead end and didn't want to run slayers again to level. by doing all that and playing pretty much every day and logged on, not necessarily always questing, for 5-6 hours I always capped within 4 weeks. once in awhile I had an xp pot running, but usually not. 4-5 weeks to cap used to be considered about right a couple years ago. the grind for cap actually has gotten significantly better the past couple years with more content, higher xp pots, vip xp, crafting even gives xp, tomes of learning and BB. the grind really hasn't gotten harder, its gotten easier.
    #1 & 2- Ya I do slightly agree with you that it shouldn't be updated, there should always be better gear topping the gear that has been out for a while but, I find that once i get to level 20, it takes me 2-3 days to get to 25. With epic destiny's with leveling it makes it easy with no gear to get to 25, so I don't bother trying to get it. I just think that it would help with the current endgame because there is almost no reason to run those quests.

#4 - I didn't really mean for it to sound like I thought the grind was getting harder, I just think that it is stupid to have 4 quests out in red fens that are 11 k a piece and a von 3 that is 60 + k and doesn't even take long. And to be able to get 2 levels out of 1 quest with running a 20% pot.(farming that is) IMO bravery bonus didn't inspire what it needed to with the huge xp bonus for a first time run. It is still faster to farm the same quests multiple times. If you hate tr's as much as I do, you want to spend as little time as possible on them :P. Now if quests had around the same xp/minute so to say than I would thoroughly enjoy tr's and I would have a reason to run every single quest. I have tried the 1 quest only idea a few times but I just find it takes to long, for quests that are longer with low xp, I just feel like I'm wasting my time. I actually wouldn't care if they took away bravery bonus, it would encourage more grouping, but they just need to equalize the xp in most areas.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    I run everything once (or twice on a second life, once hard then elite) and do not farm high-xp quests like shadowcrypt or VON3.

I see the words "running every quests once would take far to long when tr ing" and I understand them individually but together in this order I can't make heads or tails of it. To me, tring is the game; running everything once (or twice to unlock elite) and done is the full game experience for me.

Epic stuff is quite fun, but I have guild raids for that and plenty of epic alts to bring to them. Most of my game time is spent tring because that's where I think the game shines. Skipping content (either by farming, stoning, or whatever) runs completely counter to how I enjoy the game.
    Equalizing the xp/minute would encourage the idea of running quests once, but most people do farm quests till there is no xp left. There is a group of people who run quests once and move on but the group of people who farm the hell out of quests and tr every week is pretty large. I don't disagree that some people run quests once, but making the xp a little more fair in some of the other quests would encourage people to run quests much fewer times when they tr.
    Last edited by moo_cow; 07-07-2013 at 01:49 AM.

Equalizing the xp/minute would encourage the idea of running quests once, but most people do farm quests till there is no xp left. There is a group of people who run quests once and move on but the group of people who farm the hell out of quests and tr every week is pretty large. I don't disagree that some people run quests once, but making the xp a little more fair in some of the other quests would encourage people to run quests much fewer times when they tr.
    To clarify, I wouldn't object to equalizing xp for all quests. I'd be very much in favor of it. All I meant is that despite the unequal xp, some of us do the once-and-done style tring. For me it's purely about running varied content.

Fathom the Depths is a good xp farm, btw. It was used as a bad example compared to VON3, but it's actually pretty good xp/min and a prime candidate for tr window farming

Problem #1 & 2:

Problem #3 :

Problem #4 :

I was going to go into a fanboy rage and disagree with you!!

But unfortunately you are right on with this.

I have been having trouble sleeping because I keep hearing a voice in my head saying "who rang the bell", but i do have a toon who has maxed out his epic destinies so I guess it was worth it... Right?

I have been whining about the stupid stones of xp, without realizing that my problem is I have tr'd so much I have run all the quest before & when I get to the lvl 16-20 3rd + life xp grind I just zerg the max xp quest and the stone was just a way to skip zerging what I have zerged a million times.

Sure hope the expansion I just bought gives me some new content to run. Or maybe they bump down the TR xp down a little as now it seems to TR'ing just means running a xp per minute farm at elite for BB due to the amount of 3rd life xp required.

Or I could pay turbine for xp stones, xp pots or xp tomes to avoid the mindless grind they have built into the game.

Post Big Brother Is Watching

Problem #1 & 2:

Problem #3 :

Problem #4 :

Hit the nail on the head with this one i'd say.
    ŦĘӍPLѦR
    Cannith

Shadowhaze-Righteouss-Technological Warfare-Lightes.
    Fear is the enemy of logic-Frank Sinatra

Community Member

Problem #4 :

I normally run everything through once, on elite, until Vale. It's not the fastest way, but hitting 20 in a month or a month and a half is a fine pace for me. Usually the players I know who TR every other week tend to get through two or three lives and then drop off the map for a month anyway.

I agree that adjusting XP up for a lot of quests would help, but part of the issue is that within days people would start to figure out the new "best XP/min" quests. And it'd be the same scenario with a different background.
    Last edited by FrancisP.Fancypants; 07-07-2013 at 02:31 PM. Reason: copypasta!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by xxHazexx View Post
    WHERE IS EVERYONE?

DDO's complicated and not very newbie friendly. It doesn't help that paths are not good builds and that the game has features where if you play for a long time your character is objectively better than a newbie's (seriously, you have to reach max level 3 times to get to the best basic build possible)

What is wrong?

No group to play with. Stuck around for a while, but eventually switched to Rift, which is now F2P as well. I also feel like I have accomplished everything that is important in DDO, since I have completed all the major quests on EE. Would want to do all the fluff stuff too, but as long as LFG looks barren I'm not coming back. Spending 30 minutes hawking for players is bad investment of time.

Community Member

I stopped playing last year at the beginning of Mabar.
    Mabar just put the nail in the coffin. I found Crystal Cove enjoyable for a while, but Mabar boring.
    As the rest of the guild I was in; "The Unearthed Arcana" on Thelanis; wanted to run in it and I didn't; I said I'll be back after the event. I haven't played since.
    Nothing to do with the guild; I miss our chats and runs. It was only a small guild and I don't know if it's still going.

I just got tired of the endless grind for new toys.

I had not run a raid for 18 months at least before that.
    I just couldn't face 1-3 hours running it and then failing at last hurdle.

With the all the changes to the game since launch it wasn't the same game.
    Some of the changes were good, but some just took away the challenge of running normal quests.

I remember when I first ran Waterworks it was a real challenge.
    You needed at least 3-4 in the group to stand a chance of completing; when I left it was possible to solo on Norm with pretty much any class.
    To my mind that took away the very thing that distinguished DDO from any other mmo.

Problem #1 & 2:

Problem #3 :

Problem #4 :

Pretty much everything you list here are problems of your own making. First you say they should add more content, though you admit yourself that you skip 50% or more of the content for the sake of efficiency in leveling. Then you complain about how boring it is. To me, this is like blaming a company that makes bricks if you decide the best use for them is to repeatedly smash yourself in the head.

Community Member

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by FestusHood View Post
    Pretty much everything you list here are problems of your own making. First you say they should add more content, though you admit yourself that you skip 50% or more of the content for the sake of efficiency in leveling. Then you complain about how boring it is. To me, this is like blaming a company that makes bricks if you decide the best use for them is to repeatedly smash yourself in the head.
    I agree with this fella.

You do not have to run every single quest in the game... let's call it 80%.

Yes, your first few attempts will be slower than you like, but that is because you are learning the quests.

I pretty much go right up the quest compendium every life, one time elite. Three-barrel and a few low level adventure areas are not popular on my server, so I do not get anal about doing EVERYTHING. If there is a group or my LFM fills, I do it.

Sometimes I hit Threnal and Sorrowdusk, sometimes I do not.

DDO is probably 3rd only to Everquest and WoW in terms of content. Break your old habits, I think you will find several quests that are enjoyable to play, and further, find yourself not caring that the exp is not optimal per minute...

Now to be honest I have done the optimal route a couple lives, but as has been pointed out, that gets old fast.

Bottom line is any game gets old after a while. Cool thing about DDO is there is a heck of a lot of room for you, the player, to not let it go that route.

I think a big part of the issue with the LFM panel is that the game is no longer a party based game aside from raiding. I started playing just after the F2P launch, and I can't think of a quest that can't be soloed in a relatively straightforward manner. You can play with a party, but it's not required. I think that this is probably good for the survival of the game, but it obviously alienates some people who wish to be in parties, but who live in non-US time zones or just refuse to put up LFMs.

I will also add that if you're not putting up your own LFMs, you have no business complaining about the lack of LFMs. I started putting up ip LFMs my last couple of lives and have no problems filling them. Usually I get a decent group that makes the quest significantly faster and easier to complete. It's been pretty rare for me to run into even 1 completely useless PUG in a group.

Community Member

Maybe it's just that my outlook on the game has been more upbeat recently, but it seems to me LFMs are up and more people are on.
    CC Casting Druid: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...C-Summer-Build
    Shiradi Wiz Plan for 1st Lifers: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...r-First-Lifers
    U25 Patch 1 Dex Halfling Assassin Build: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...x-Assassin-1-0
    Warlock DC Caster: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ld-Blast-Build

Several characters on Sarlona all starting with "Rand" in the Guild "Guardians of House Cannith". My main four characters are Randowl (18 rogue 2 artificer mechanic - hope to go back to DC casting some day), Randslar (Bard 14 / Fighter 4 / Rogue 2 Swashbuckler), Randek (Druid CC Caster 17/Fvs 3) and Randomall (Rogue 20 assassin).

Hahahahhahahahahaha

How true.

Quote Originally Posted by hsinclair
    I heard the devs hate all wizards, bards, clerics, fighters, and fuzzy bunnies and only want us to play halfling barbarian/paladin shuriken specialists!

It's totally true, I have a reliable source. You better reroll now.
    Adventurer, Bug Reporter, Mournlander.

Quote Originally Posted by slarden View Post
    Maybe it's just that my outlook on the game has been more upbeat recently, but it seems to me LFMs are up and more people are on.
    My impression (Argo) is that LFMs are up and (many) fewer people are on. It's kind of weird, actually.

During off-hours Argo was pretty steady at 400 on the Who panel, but the last month or two it's been low 200s. This morning, for example, there were 226 people on when I checked.

This.

I know there are people that agree with moo_cow but there are probably just as many that agree with FestusHood.

In response to moo_cow:

I run quests outside of Eveningstar and Gianthold most days.

You don't have to run quests 50,000 times for Epic Destinies. I have one level 25 character, with most EDs at level 4, a few at level 5. She only needs one more fate point so I can get her the twists I want so I may or may not max out all her EDs. Even so, I did not run anything 10 times, let alone 50,000 times, with one exception. She's my Challenge runner, to collect magma shards in exchange for tokens for my TRs.

Farming quests when tring - I'm on life 8 of my completionist. There are definitely some quests I farm for this character but I kind of like those quests. Monastery of the Scorpion comes to mind. For the most part, though, I run quests on elite (sometimes with an xp pot, as I seem to collect small and medium Eberron Dragonshards as collectibles quite often), maybe a hard run, and then I move on. With all the xp bonuses, I don't find I have to farm as much as before.

As to the OP, I like the game. I've tried other MMOs (LOTR, SWTOR, NWN, etc.) and they bore me after a week. There's just not enough character customization for me. DDO gives me the option to build characters my way and I enjoy the quests. I really dislike "bring me 10 pelts" quests. I'll probably try new MMOs as they come out, to see if they'll be a better DDO, but I'll continue to play DDO because it's the best version of PnP online at the moment.

Community Member

Points 1 and 2 were directed at end game content, which is why I was talking about epic content, that's also why it was separated from point 4 .... So ya, I guess it's pretty obvious that it's my fault that there isn't enough end game content worthy of running.

Point 4 is mostly my doing, but its the easiest way to do it, i rather spend a week on a tr vs 3 weeks + for a character I'm just gonna tr right away again. That's mostly how it's done for anyone who wants to do multiple lives, if you don't great, but it's faster. If content was worth the xp than ya I would gladly run it once, but most quests are worth **** xp. The original comment still stands, if they upped and or nerfed some of the xp of quests than it would make people actually want to run other quests rather than farming 10 runs on tr's.

As for point 3, there obviously isn't enough xp for 16.5 million + xp worth of running quests once. Running 16.5 million worth of xp takes a while, which is why everyone farms one quest, which is why it was a point... but yet again it's my fault, but obviously it's faster to farm one quest. The only solution to not make it boring is run every quest multiple times or level to 25 before tring so that way you need 5-6 million xp a life. My fault, yet a stupid stupid implemented system when it started.
    Last edited by moo_cow; 07-08-2013 at 03:23 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast