Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Whats wrong with this game?

Besides the occasional bugs. Occasional being the understatement of the year "Polite". Anyway, I love this game even after the continuous shenanigans that still takes place whether it be my issue or someone else's. The UI gives the player the freedom of having hotbars anywhere you want them on your screen and a good amount of them at that. The graphics aren't spectacular but aren't bad. The instanced dungeons makes the game unique from any other current mmo vs the vast run around from npc to npc and the "occasional dungeon". Crafting is a bit complex but completed with a little bit of work and possible generosity from friends/guildies. The in-game voice chat server gives new players the chance to meet others if they don't like typing and it's an opportunity for a better social experience. SO the questions still remain the same. WHERE IS EVERYONE? granted it is summer and i understand that. However, The game has slowly been declining in player population for awhile. Is there a better mmo i don't know about? if so, why is that game better?. I wont deny the fact that the game is playable with hirelings for most situations and maybe one other person but i play this game to compete with many others and play with many other friends. Thus being a Massively Multiplayer Online Game. Off to play CoD Black Ops 2 i'll bbl to check on my post. Have a nice day and a good weekend everyone!
    ŦĘӍPLѦR
    Cannith

Shadowhaze-Righteouss-Technological Warfare-Lightes.
    Fear is the enemy of logic-Frank Sinatra

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by xxHazexx View Post
    Is there a better mmo i don't know about? if so, why is that game better?

Yes.

It's better because it gives you a beautiful sparkly trail to follow your entire career, so you do not get lost.

Also, you have only a few, non crucial choices to make about your toon, so all that frustrating rebuilding stuff doesn't happen later in life.

*shrugs*

Quote Originally Posted by Seere View Post
    Yes.

It's better because it gives you a beautiful sparkly trail to follow your entire career, so you do not get lost.

Also, you have only a few, non crucial choices to make about your toon, so all that frustrating rebuilding stuff doesn't happen later in life.

*shrugs*
    LoL...

Get used to this. There are now a (seemingly) endless amount of quality free to play games out there. People are game hopping and new content gets released, people flock to a game play it to death, then move on to the next one. Remember DDO hasn't really had any content in almost 6 months, and really (not counting the Gianthold retread) you have to go back to 2012 to really get anything new (and no, I don't count those bland teaser quests in U 18).

People will be back when the Enhancement system comes out (to actually check it out themselves, not reading about the moaning and groaning of the mix/maxxers on the forums) and with the Expansion. Then if Turbine can actually follow up the Expansion with some quality content, people will stick around.

Basically its a low point in DDO's development cycle, coupled with summer and lots of other games to play.
    Magical Rings are well... magical. - Gandalf

Quote Originally Posted by xxHazexx View Post
    WHERE IS EVERYONE? (...) Off to play CoD Black Ops 2 i'll bbl to check on my post.
    Well, you pretty much answered your own question. Even if it is still the best MMO in the market, people just don't get enough satisfaction from playing it anymore and go play/do something else.

Personally I believe Turbine never heard of the saying "never change a winning team" and apparently is on a rampage of stripping everything DDO has in commom with the D&D rules, and this means taking out the joy of half of the playerbase.

I will use my guild for example

1) very few new players. We have a number of guys who TR all the time and try to recruit new people for the guild they have told me they see fewer and fewer new players, Although I meet 2 new players yesterday who just joined the guild. So who knows.

2) Older players getting upset with Turbine DEVs and leaving. We have lost a number of guildies, some of the reasons
    a) The belief that Turbine spends too much time worrying about fixing exploits or things that benefit the players, but leaving tons of bugs unfixed for years. Ladders, the duplicate screen when you enter the 12 are a couple of ones of the top of my head. I have been playing the new content lately and IMHO it does not seem to have the problems some of the older quest do.
    b) We lost a couple when they nerfed the challenge xp. We had a group of 5 guys who really enjoyed that aspect of the game and focused on it, when that happened they said they were mad and I have not seem any them since, which is a bummer.
    c) NeverWinter, SWOTR, Guild Wars 2, We always seem to lose people when a new game comes out. Some come back, other's do not. But attrition from new games takes its toll.
    d) Some people are really gun shy about changes Turbine makes, probably justified, these guys are just playing other games until they see how the Epic TR and the enhancement changes shake out. If Turbine screws that up, then they probably will be gone also.

So basically, the game seems to not bring in new players at a higher rate of those leaving, hence the population goes down.
    That might be quite natural with a 7 year old game.

Hopefully the new stuff coming in August will bring some people in!

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

I've noticed a distinct increase in activity on Argo in the past 2 weeks or so. Full LFM's for all level ranges. Most of which had 4-6 people in them.
    Every LFM I've posted for anything has filled in 10 minutes or less, this includes unguilded and unfriended brand new alts I've told no one about, my TR that's at level 16, and my all of my capped toons (2 at 25, 1 at 21).

I've also seen in the past few weeks

At least 2 Shroud a day
    At least 3-5 FOT a day
    At least 3-5 CITW a day
    At least 3 VOD a week
    At least 2 HoX a week
    1-2 TODs a week
    SO MANY TITAN RUNS! (Seriously, I know of at least 40ish runs in the last 3 weeks alone.)
    At least 2 EADQ
    At least 5-10 VON a week

And these are just the raids I've seen while I'm online.
    I've also noticed my friends list has an average of 20-30 people online at any given time.
    11-12 people in Guild on at any given time.

So I know Argo is picking back up from it's pretty small drop last month.
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life 8/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

Community Member

Default Orion

It's getting bad on Orion as well. Gradually the amount of players is decreasing. It takes about half an hour to find at least one person, one hour to get a full group. Meaning i spend 75% of my time in the game waiting. So much fun. From my point of view, the problem is that there is too much p2p content. It's too hard to find people for f2p dungeons, since they are each doing the one/two adventure packs that are appropriate for their level. And as I've said, they wait for an hour to make a group. The players are far too separated, so it really feels like playing on empty servers. Unless you are a VIP, you are not going to find a group.

Now i know Turbine need to make money, but I'm not sure if are being as successful as they would want to be. With they way things are now, you are forced to buy pointless low level adventure packs if you want to enjoy the game. Most people are not willing to do this. With the way things are no

But here is the thing. Turbine is releasing fairly expensive end game adventure packs, that they put a lot of effort into. So how about, and this may sound crazy, make some more low level content f2p? People would have a chance to get more immersed into the game, they would have a better experience from the early levels, and would actually get to the point where they might want to spend money on the high end stuff for. And if a majority of players bought the endgame content, the minority would probably abide.

And before you say "Oh, but what about the people that bought the pointless low level content? Woudln't they feel cheated?" They would feel a lit better if they actually got to play the content with other players than just waiting for hours. Or maybe give them a cookie.

With the way things are now, I don't see myself playing this game in the future.

I would really like to hear what the developers viewpoint is on the situation in the game.

Thelanis is fine. Everyone go to Thelanis.

Post -5 GMT "I Think"

I'm east coast and play on Cannith and in the mornings the game used to thrive with things to do. I've already paid for the collectors edition of the new xpac and am now regretting my purchase being i've probably played literally 2 times since then. The new content still looks cool but i guess i'll start looking at Bethesda's new project TBR in a few months.
    ŦĘӍPLѦR
    Cannith

Shadowhaze-Righteouss-Technological Warfare-Lightes.
    Fear is the enemy of logic-Frank Sinatra

Quote Originally Posted by Abdaka View Post
    It's getting bad on Orion as well. Gradually the amount of players is decreasing. It takes about half an hour to find at least one person, one hour to get a full group. Meaning i spend 75% of my time in the game waiting. So much fun. From my point of view, the problem is that there is too much p2p content. It's too hard to find people for f2p dungeons, since they are each doing the one/two adventure packs that are appropriate for their level. And as I've said, they wait for an hour to make a group. The players are far too separated, so it really feels like playing on empty servers. Unless you are a VIP, you are not going to find a group.

Now i know Turbine need to make money, but I'm not sure if are being as successful as they would want to be. With they way things are now, you are forced to buy pointless low level adventure packs if you want to enjoy the game. Most people are not willing to do this. With the way things are no

But here is the thing. Turbine is releasing fairly expensive end game adventure packs, that they put a lot of effort into. So how about, and this may sound crazy, make some more low level content f2p? People would have a chance to get more immersed into the game, they would have a better experience from the early levels, and would actually get to the point where they might want to spend money on the high end stuff for. And if a majority of players bought the endgame content, the minority would probably abide.

And before you say "Oh, but what about the people that bought the pointless low level content? Woudln't they feel cheated?" They would feel a lit better if they actually got to play the content with other players than just waiting for hours. Or maybe give them a cookie.

With the way things are now, I don't see myself playing this game in the future.

I would really like to hear what the developers viewpoint is on the situation in the game.

The Devs have already tried a form of what you're asking for...A PAID Form of course:
    The MotU Expansion came with a number of OLDER packs as a Bonus.

Of course - MOST of the People who bought that Expansion {Myself incl.} were either ALREADY VIP AND/OR Had ALREADY Bought Most or all of those Packs!

EVERY TIME this point comes up on these forums {usually in threads about Threnal/3 Barrel Cove and Restless Isles} It gets attacked by people saying that "They've already paid for it so Newbies should too".

I've already Bought {on more than one account} EVERY Low and Mid Lvl + some to Most High Lvl content...
    I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO ISSUES With that Low Lvl Content being made Free to Newer Players.

In fact I've suggested on multiple occasions on these forums...That 3 Barrel Cove {a pack I adore!} be merged with Vet 1 Status and made the Default Starter Zone for Vet 1s and TRs.
    I've also asked for TR1s to be allowed to start at Lvl 4 and TR2+ at Lvl 7 {Less TR Only LFMs in the Harbour - Ringleader is the worst low lvl quest for this!}.
    ACTUALLY I've even recently {yesterday} seen TR only LFMs in KORTHOS for crying out loud!

BUT The Devs seem to be going off in a different direction unfortunately...
    GET EVERYONE TO LVL 15 ASAP AND WHO CARES ABOUT Low Level quests eh?

Well Devs...I for one DO CARE!

Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DynaTheCat View Post
    Thelanis is fine. Everyone go to Thelanis.
    You must play during peak hours, I can only play during off hours, I spend 2/3rd of my available play time not playing DDO even though I want to. This time is composed of: filling, waiting to fill my or others LFM's, looking at 1 or 2 highlighted LFM's in various level ranges that are undesirable for any number of my 14 alts in various level ranges, and often enough: watching movies checking the LFM panel occasionally not seeing anything to do.

On the bright side I'm catching up on my back catalog of unwatched movies... As this plays out I expect I'll start catching up on my back catalog of steam games and other MMO's.

The sad part is there are clearly still people in the game, they are just spread out thin and diced up into Elite BB sized 3 level ranges.

Sarlona is somewhat stable too. Unless I'm running a bad paid quest (like Valak Mausoleum), all my LFM fill in a reasonable time (10 minutes or less). Has been like that for the last 3 months.
    Main: Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist [<o>]

Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Quote Originally Posted by nibel View Post
    Sarlona is somewhat stable too. Unless I'm running a bad paid quest (like Valak Mausoleum), all my LFM fill in a reasonable time (10 minutes or less). Has been like that for the last 3 months.
    Strangely enough I've rarely had issues getting a group together for Dead Girl's Spellbook...

It seems that there's usually quite a few people online like yourself who actually want it when I put my LFMs up BUT I could just have been lucky with that one quest.

Delera's Chain itself however has suffered quite badly from BB...
    The First quest being Lvl 5 and Pt 2-3 being 7 and Pt 4 being 8 is an issue that I'd like fixed...

Simple Suggestion - Move Pt 1 to Lvl 6 so people can run the WHOLE Chain in ONE go!

Quote Originally Posted by Ironclans_evil_twin View Post

The sad part is there are clearly still people in the game, they are just spread out thin and diced up into Elite BB sized 3 level ranges.
    No they're spread out among 8 servers instead of the 2 or 3 ddo can realistically support at proper levels compared to other mmos that aren't dying.

Quote Originally Posted by Grosbeak07 View Post
    People will be back when the Enhancement system comes out (to actually check it out themselves, not reading about the moaning and groaning of the mix/maxxers or the "it will all be flowers and sunshine and candy when the enhancement pass goes live" drivel of the fanboi crowd on the forums) and with the Expansion. Then if Turbine can actually follow up the Expansion with some quality content, people will stick around.
    Fixed That For You.
    Last edited by Philibusta; 07-06-2013 at 02:48 PM.
    All that is wrong with DDO, life, taxes, poltics, religion, music, fast food, education, the criminal justice system, the weather, society, the universe, and previously-discontinued-but-now-on-their-way-back snack cakes, is all the fault of Wizards of the Coast. I know this because Fred told me so, and Mind Flayers are smart.

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

You must play during peak hours, I can only play during off hours, I spend 2/3rd of my available play time not playing DDO even though I want to. This time is composed of: filling, waiting to fill my or others LFM's, looking at 1 or 2 highlighted LFM's in various level ranges that are undesirable for any number of my 14 alts in various level ranges, and often enough: watching movies checking the LFM panel occasionally not seeing anything to do.

On the bright side I'm catching up on my back catalog of unwatched movies... As this plays out I expect I'll start catching up on my back catalog of steam games and other MMO's.

Wait, let me get this right, for a while now you've been complaining on any thread that even slightly brings this issue to bear that the game is dead, server population is down, and that it's impossible to fill a group.

And you're not even playing the damn game?
    I mean, I'm sorry but I find it hard to take anything you say on this matter serious any longer.
    If you want to run something, run it! Don't watch a movie waiting for someone else to put up an LFM for you.

/sigh This is why we can't have nice things.
    If YOU aren't prepared to run something unless someone else puts up the LFM for you, you have no right to complain that the game is "dying".
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life 8/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

Community Member

DDO has players from around the world. Isn't possible that your off hours are someone else's peak hours? Have you checked each server to see whether one of them has peak hours that match your schedule?
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

don't forget DS that has been dumbed down too. I solo at least half of the heroic quests from 1-20 on elite because its just that easy for me. why join a group or try to fill a group to add DS and players who take over groups solo zerging taking the fun out of it? I also like to maximize my xp in each quest and a lot of groups think its a waste of time. that includes Home Sweet Sewer too.

First, a disclaimer:
    I am not recomending or suggesting the following should happen, as I absolutely believe it would do more harm than good, it's purely hypothetical...

I find it interesting that a metric many people use to determine population (loss) is the LFM panel. What if all the guild & channel only folks were forced to strictly use the LFM system and soloing wasn't possable due to a grouping requirement that also somehow prevented multiboxing? Essentially, a system where the entire questing population was visable beyond the "who" list? Would we have this same impression of a growing emptiness?

As I said, it would be terrible to implement, but I've often noticed that even when LFMs are lean, the who list rarely is... On Thelanis anyways...
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by TheLegendOfAra View Post
    /sigh This is why we can't have nice things.
    If YOU aren't prepared to run something unless someone else puts up the LFM for you, you have no right to complain that the game is "dying".
    Rofl too right... If a quarter of the people watching & waiting for an lfm would post one, the pug scene would explode!
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast