Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Gremmlynn View Post
    As I play on Wayfinder, personally I don't like what Turbine is doing here. I'd rather players come to the server who are trying to get away from the drama the rat races on the other servers cause, than to try to infect my server with it. To me, a low population is a small price to pay to keep the achievers and their expectations elsewhere.
    Most computer gamers are urbanites. They are not well suited to frontier life.

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    That backfires however when its the people who garnered a bad reputation on other more populated servers end up running to Wayfinder. They are the ones who have more incentive to move. Most others who have been playing for a while are ingrained into their servers community enough that they aren't going to move on a whim simply for 10% xp bonus.
    "Escape from Wayfinder" the prison server.

Quote Originally Posted by karpedieme View Post

So i would suggest offering the other non-Wayfinder servers a 5% Heroic / Epic XP bonus until the end of the year.... Just saying its proper business ethics and would appease the trolls quite a bit too.

Proper compromise no?
    No, that's not "proper business ethics", in fact its a horrible ethical and financial decision.

The real problem with the 10% bonus is it should be 40-50%. They need to drive population there, and that's the RIGHT thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Gkar View Post
    The real problem with the 10% bonus is it should be 40-50%. They need to drive population there, and that's the RIGHT thing to do.
    Yup, I went over there three or four times, just to try it out ... and the 10% really wasn't enough to keep me interested.

You'd think there'd be a couple of lowbie LFMs for people who were hopping over to test the Kool Aid, but no. Every time I've been over there's been 0-4 LFMs, with a heavy tendency toward the 0.

Quomodo cecidisti de cælo, Lucifer, qui mane oriebaris. corruisti in terram, qui vulnerabas gentes.
    Qui dicebas in corde tuo: In cælum conscendam, super astra Dei exaltabo solium meum.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

Qui non proficit, deficit.

Adding this dieing server a bonus is wrong, first because they get something other paying customers don't, second, because it won't work.
    They should finish off the server, send toons to g-land (like earlier), and then give them something for their trouble.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vellrad View Post
    Qui non proficit, deficit.

Adding this dieing server a bonus is wrong, first because they get something other paying customers don't, second, because it won't work.
    They should finish off the server, send toons to g-land (like earlier), and then give them something for their trouble.
    All players have access to this bonus if they choose to play on Wayfinder. No customers are being denied. Please don't start false rumors.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vellrad View Post
    they get something other paying customers don't
    My pure Ranger cant cast Artificer spells either.

Its not a freebie, its a balancing. You get +10% XP, but you have to put up with a stagnant community. If you play on another server, you dont get bonus XP, but you get an active AH, more LFMs, more active and advanced guilds, etc.

Its a tradeoff, just like choosing anything else in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Tscheuss View Post
    All players have access to this bonus if they choose to play on Wayfinder. No customers are being denied. Please don't start false rumors.
    His first part may be wrong, the second part isn't. The bonus isn't big enough to work and even if it was they'd just be stealing from other servers and lowering the population there. The only solution is server merger and I think it should be merged down to 2 or 3 servers at this point.

That backfires however when its the people who garnered a bad reputation on other more populated servers end up running to Wayfinder. They are the ones who have more incentive to move. Most others who have been playing for a while are ingrained into their servers community enough that they aren't going to move on a whim simply for 10% xp bonus.
    You really think it will turn into a haven for the undesirables? lol.

I hope the 10% xp bonus works out..........I don't really care that I don't get it meh...... if it helps wayfinder and the rest of the game thumbs up.

Why so gloom. Does no one else see the potential here?

That's correct. Wayfinder is now THE 100 favor farm server lol.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

Community Member

That's the thing. I'd rather the server be be known, and attract players, for it's more relaxed play style and lack of concern over xp/minute, day, week, etcetera.

For example, just yesterday, in a Delara's run one of our new migrants seemed to get a bit disappointed that, even after explaining what window farming was to those who didn't know, nobody saw a lot of point to doing the same quest twice in a row just for xp that every quest gives. So, yes, we are seeing some come for the xp, I just don't think many will be staying due to the lack of concern over it that many already there feel. That or so many will come as to change the whole flavor of the server to be the same old "work the game" flavor the other servers seem to have.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ironclans_evil_twin View Post
    So you enjoy having 4 LFM's to join?

Personally I think they should take it a step further and start a mentor program on wayfinder and see if they can cultivate a more friendly player base there than the other servers... interesting social engineering experiment if nothing else. Maybe put in a sidekicks/mentor system like other MMO's where overlevels can group with lower levels by taking temporary level handicaps. This has worked in other MMO's.

Widen the viable LFM range to practically everyone on the server and even 50 or 60 players can fill LFM's and do a wide variety of content. Stretching that number out from 1 to 25 in 3 level wide elite BB divisions, is not working even on POPULATED servers, can't imagine how dead the games going to feel a month after the 28 level cap raise... another division sliced out of empty feeling servers = even more empty feeling servers.
    4 LFMs or 400 LFMs are all the same to me really as I see pugging as the worst of many grouping options.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FestusHood View Post
    Most computer gamers are urbanites. They are not well suited to frontier life.
    Which would explain why there are 7 times as many servers for them. Unless you can say all computer gamers are urbanites and nobody enjoys frontier living, your point pretty much supports what we currently have.

Quote Originally Posted by FestusHood View Post
    The sick should receive the morphine, not the people that just like to get high.
    Wayfinder needs Dr Kavorkian.

Community Member

I appreciate this iniziative of Turbine (no, I dont play in Wayfinder) but dont think that will solve the problem.
    Server merging is the only solution

Quote Originally Posted by karpedieme View Post
    Lol and you are here crying about it....

Nonetheless you may think what you want.

When I joined DDo back in 2007 I researched the forums beforehand to see which server had a cool vibe.... I chose Thelanis. Not the whatever recommended server if there was one at the time.

The point being is that you become a better player by running with better players and people who can help you along your path. I was very fortunate to run with some great players with mentoring abilities and Thelanis is reputed for that.

Where this is going is that Turbine is baiting new players to head on over to Wayfinder with the other enthusiastic people who are coming to the game.

Its not just about the 10%, yes its a bait and swith tactic with their agenda possibly as Missing Minds mentioned.... But its the fact that new players who are not so aware of DDO or research it beforehand will end up on some deadbeat server which in most cases does not help DDO down the line with new player retention. They come along shell a few bucks on F2P model then see nothing is going on then leave.

Different scenario... X player come to Thelanis or another server with a decent population. get to run with a lot of knowledgeable folks and shortens his learning curve. The possibility of customer rentention at that point increases dramatically.

If I had joined at the tme the Whatever Wayfinder Server X, without my DnD background and enthusiasm I quite possibly would still not be here.

So what it cmes down to is to have the player choose his home not juts be defaulted to one that needs to be made profitable..

I look forward to see new players come to Thelanis and learn from hard knock by running with veterans and thus becoming better players and fueling their DDO stoke.

So yeah making bonuses exclusive to one specific server is not proper business sense and will most likely annoy an already annoyed player base.

The XP bonus is a 6 month thing its not permanent in any way but in MMO duration that is quite long.

BTW ppl have decryed far worse than this in starting threads

Just feeding the trolls.

Laters
    How am I crying about it? I'm all for it and so what I say still stands, stop sounding so greedy. 6 months is a long time if you are a young person but when you get older 6 months, even in an MMO, is very short. Let them have it, and as Gkar mentioned, it should be even higher to entice people to go there.

Don't worry about what other people have or don't have.

That's the thing. I'd rather the server be be known, and attract players, for it's more relaxed play style and lack of concern over xp/minute, day, week, etcetera.

For example, just yesterday, in a Delara's run one of our new migrants seemed to get a bit disappointed that, even after explaining what window farming was to those who didn't know, nobody saw a lot of point to doing the same quest twice in a row just for xp that every quest gives. So, yes, we are seeing some come for the xp, I just don't think many will be staying due to the lack of concern over it that many already there feel. That or so many will come as to change the whole flavor of the server to be the same old "work the game" flavor the other servers seem to have.
    There wont be any boundries enforcing a laid back "play the game -vs- only caring about xp/min" atmosphere on that server, just as there are not on any other server. This is something that is done on a player by player basis and each server has its own communities of folks who play different ways. I know who the players are who like to play the entire game on the servers I play on, and those communities of folks who do so are alive and well. In fact I will go as far as saying they are better off than those who simply like to work the game because the game has more replay-ability for folks who enjoy playing 100% of it -vs- folks who play the same 8quests/2raids.

Which would explain why there are 7 times as many servers for them. Unless you can say all computer gamers are urbanites and nobody enjoys frontier living, your point pretty much supports what we currently have.
    These players on WF also come from the other servers and not just from outside the game, so if "the other 7" servers are infested with grinders as is being implied, this is what will end up on Wayfinder anyhow since most of the players who take Turbine up on this offer will be from "the other 7" servers - regardless of incentive.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Njohrd View Post
    I appreciate this iniziative of Turbine (no, I dont play in Wayfinder) but dont think that will solve the problem.
    Server merging is the only solution
    I could see merging as a solution if Wayfinder had ever had a largish population. But as it hasn't, those who don't like low pop servers likely either tried it and left for a more populated server or never even bothered to try it at all. Those who actually established themselves their, it would seem, like the lower population so I don't see what merging would be a solution to. Except maybe getting rid of us degenerates who don't like the rat race, I at least, see the other servers as.

I've played on every server and Wayfinder is by far the one I like best.

Not to completely rabbit trail this solution, but keep in mind Wayfinder was launched and billed as the German language server.
    Which always seemed a bit odd to me.
    I'd rather see (and this can TOTALLY be done player side) a few chat channels established and promoted on each server.

/joinchannel german
    /joinchannel french
    etc

Log into any server you like, join the channel and BOOM! lingual hookup achieved.

That being said, I speak english solely and would probably only join said channels to augment my foreign language studies. :P

Now back to the small point I wanted to make.

With such a selective audience at launch, is it any wonder the population is smaller than not?
    I wouldn't like to see the server merge anywhere, though - first time completion TP per server is still something I like to hit when the need arises in my budget and it's even more of a necessity for certain other players.
    "I gots me a bad feeling about this..."

Community Member

These players on WF also come from the other servers and not just from outside the game, so if "the other 7" servers are infested with grinders as is being implied, this is what will end up on Wayfinder anyhow since most of the players who take Turbine up on this offer will be from "the other 7" servers - regardless of incentive.
    Yes they will. Then they will will turn around and go back when they find that even with a 10% bonus leveling is generally slower, trade is nearly non-existent and there isn't a crowd to hide in. Unless entire guilds move over, which a few months at +10% isn't likely to cause, it shouldn't make a major impact on the server.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12