Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wayfinder +10% Heroic and Epic XP until 2014???? Other servers?

Was very stunned when i fired up the launcher to see this announcement....

Also, Wayfinder now has a +10% Heroic and Epic XP Bonus, now through the end of the year!

I know its ghost city over there but it seems very discriminatory to players on other servers that get nothing....

Its basically where all new players go as it is the recommended server for start-ups.... With iconics and 1st lifers the least they need is to get to cap too easily.

So i would suggest offering the other non-Wayfinder servers a 5% Heroic / Epic XP bonus until the end of the year.... Just saying its proper business ethics and would appease the trolls quite a bit too.

Proper compromise no?

Discuss.

Laters

Thelanis Server Accolyte 21 PL FVS Completionist Super Soul Accelerated 20 PL Completionist Super Sorc Accessory 3 Ranger 3 Sorc 1 Wiz PL Artificer Accusal 3 FVS 3 Wiz PL Pale Master Accxer Mathbane Barb PL Barbarian Acc 3 FVS 3 Wiz PL Pale Master Ctrl 3 FVS 3 Wiz PL Archmage Jati 3 Monk 3 Ftr PL Tactics Monk Somnath 3 Monk 3 Ftr PL Dark Monk

Quote Originally Posted by karpedieme View Post
    Was very stunned when i fired up the launcher to see this announcement....

[/b]

I know its ghost city over there but it seems very discriminatory to players on other servers that get nothing....

Its basically where all new players go as it is the recommended server for start-ups.... With iconics and 1st lifers the least they need is to get to cap too easily.

So i would suggest offering the other non-Wayfinder servers a 5% Heroic / Epic XP bonus until the end of the year.... Just saying its proper business ethics and would appease the trolls quite a bit too.

Proper compromise no?

Discuss.

Laters

No. The purpose of this targeted incentive is to try to revive a server; though in my opinion it's likely to small to have much of an impact. Regardless, your suggestion of applying a similar bonus to other servers undermines the entire purpose of this decision.
    Forcin - Orien

No.

By giving that bonus, even a smaller bonus, to other servers, it takes away from Turbine's intent: drive people to this dying server.

I wish people would stop feeling so entitled to these bonuses. Now, if Turbine was giving every other server a -10% XP penalty, in order to drive people to Wayfinder, I'd be upset. But Wayfinder getting a boost? I almost want to say it's not enough. Turbine should find some way to give people on Wayfinder 2 or 3 of their 8-16 XP stones ... now that's an incentive.

Quomodo cecidisti de cælo, Lucifer, qui mane oriebaris. corruisti in terram, qui vulnerabas gentes.
    Qui dicebas in corde tuo: In cælum conscendam, super astra Dei exaltabo solium meum.

The sick should receive the morphine, not the people that just like to get high.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FestusHood View Post
    The sick should receive the morphine, not the people that just like to get high.
    Nice analogy; very succinct.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

And this just about sums up the entire entitlement attitude so many people in this game have. XD

I'd think the better idea is to consolidate more servers. I mean, I really dont see a reason that DDO's population will increase dramatically again..and if we have empty servers now on a game that appears to have a reduction im membership and no planned big drive to gain a big boost..then why hang on to the dead servers?

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kalimah View Post
    I'd think the better idea is to consolidate more servers.
    Depending on the current contract, it may not be better. Turbine does not own the servers they rent them. Breaking contracts are very costly indeed. It can be much more profitable to attempt to revive them than to break contracts. Once contract is done, then consolidation can happen.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    Depending on the current contract, it may not be better. Turbine does not own the servers they rent them. Breaking contracts are very costly indeed. It can be much more profitable to attempt to revive them than to break contracts. Once contract is done, then consolidation can happen.
    Oh? Nice. Then Wayfinder can start absorbing neighboring servers. Orien for an appetizer, then Cannith for the main course. Muah-ha-ha-ha!
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

IMO what is even more costly than just mothballing that server (and paying the rent on an empty server) would be to leave the impression in those players minds who are on Wayfinder that DDO is dead. Keep in mind now that this is the 'default' new character creation server now. I know when i was a noob I just let it pick for me where to play. If I had gone to this server and it is flat lined, odds are I'd have gone on about my business after just a week or so and I'd hever have known about the rest of the servers being more active.

Yes yes yes you could do a bit of research but thats really not what folks do when they are out cruising for a home..do research AFTER the game takes your interest...not to try to decide how the game may be screwing you in server selection.

Far more dangerous to alienate that customer base than to pay for a dead server.

Quote Originally Posted by PLUGintoTHEpowerLINE View Post
    Turbine's intent: drive people to this dying server.
    Mind if I ask: when was Wayfinder a living server? Other than when it was first launched, and several people I know logged in to "reserve" names for toons they were never going to log in and use, has Wayfinder ever had a thriving population?
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow - btw, do you have change for 10 million population?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Mind if I ask: when was Wayfinder a living server? Other than when it was first launched, and several people I know logged in to "reserve" names for toons they were never going to log in and use, has Wayfinder ever had a thriving population?
    This is a good point. Wayfinder isn't a dieing server. If anything, it's a growing server.

Community Member

As I play on Wayfinder, personally I don't like what Turbine is doing here. I'd rather players come to the server who are trying to get away from the drama the rat races on the other servers cause, than to try to infect my server with it. To me, a low population is a small price to pay to keep the achievers and their expectations elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Gremmlynn View Post
    As I play on Wayfinder, personally I don't like what Turbine is doing here. I'd rather players come to the server who are trying to get away from the drama the rat races on the other servers cause, than to try to infect my server with it. To me, a low population is a small price to pay to keep the achievers and their expectations elsewhere.
    That backfires however when its the people who garnered a bad reputation on other more populated servers end up running to Wayfinder. They are the ones who have more incentive to move. Most others who have been playing for a while are ingrained into their servers community enough that they aren't going to move on a whim simply for 10% xp bonus.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gremmlynn View Post
    So you enjoy having 4 LFM's to join?

Personally I think they should take it a step further and start a mentor program on wayfinder and see if they can cultivate a more friendly player base there than the other servers... interesting social engineering experiment if nothing else. Maybe put in a sidekicks/mentor system like other MMO's where overlevels can group with lower levels by taking temporary level handicaps. This has worked in other MMO's.

Widen the viable LFM range to practically everyone on the server and even 50 or 60 players can fill LFM's and do a wide variety of content. Stretching that number out from 1 to 25 in 3 level wide elite BB divisions, is not working even on POPULATED servers, can't imagine how dead the games going to feel a month after the 28 level cap raise... another division sliced out of empty feeling servers = even more empty feeling servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tscheuss View Post
    Oh? Nice. Then Wayfinder can start absorbing neighboring servers. Orien for an appetizer, then Cannith for the main course. Muah-ha-ha-ha!
    Sure I'm all for it, from what I've seen ddo only has enough people for 2-3 active servers, personally I don't care who merges with who. If wayfinder people are crazy not to have their name change fine, but massive consolidation would be a good thing.

I'm amazed that someone would create a thread decrying the xp bonus on a virtually empty server. It's not permanent. Stop being greedy, it's ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonos View Post
    I'm amazed that someone would create a thread decrying the xp bonus on a virtually empty server. It's not permanent. Stop being greedy, it's ugly.
    Lol and you are here crying about it....

Nonetheless you may think what you want.

When I joined DDo back in 2007 I researched the forums beforehand to see which server had a cool vibe.... I chose Thelanis. Not the whatever recommended server if there was one at the time.

The point being is that you become a better player by running with better players and people who can help you along your path. I was very fortunate to run with some great players with mentoring abilities and Thelanis is reputed for that.

Where this is going is that Turbine is baiting new players to head on over to Wayfinder with the other enthusiastic people who are coming to the game.

Its not just about the 10%, yes its a bait and swith tactic with their agenda possibly as Missing Minds mentioned.... But its the fact that new players who are not so aware of DDO or research it beforehand will end up on some deadbeat server which in most cases does not help DDO down the line with new player retention. They come along shell a few bucks on F2P model then see nothing is going on then leave.

Different scenario... X player come to Thelanis or another server with a decent population. get to run with a lot of knowledgeable folks and shortens his learning curve. The possibility of customer rentention at that point increases dramatically.

If I had joined at the tme the Whatever Wayfinder Server X, without my DnD background and enthusiasm I quite possibly would still not be here.

So what it cmes down to is to have the player choose his home not juts be defaulted to one that needs to be made profitable..

I look forward to see new players come to Thelanis and learn from hard knock by running with veterans and thus becoming better players and fueling their DDO stoke.

So yeah making bonuses exclusive to one specific server is not proper business sense and will most likely annoy an already annoyed player base.

The XP bonus is a 6 month thing its not permanent in any way but in MMO duration that is quite long.

BTW ppl have decryed far worse than this in starting threads

Just feeding the trolls.

Laters

The sick should be moved to bigger and better hospital.

Community Member

I have everything I had yesterday, and everything I expected to have today! But someone else got something unexpected! What I have isnt good enough anymore! I want! Gimme gimme!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast