Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    the player base adjusted to the changing of the game. at first people were welcoming that we could solo elite content and didn't need a group, full or shortman, or a designated healer to complete.
    You seem to be confusing effect for cause. At the time when soloing became viable, DDO was more than dwindling. It was dead. The change over to F2P and the viability of soloing are the only things that brought the game back from the dead.

Quote Originally Posted by ForumAccess View Post
    You seem to be confusing effect for cause. At the time when soloing became viable, DDO was more than dwindling. It was dead. The change over to F2P and the viability of soloing are the only things that brought the game back from the dead.
    DS was not reduced during F2P launch. it was many many months later before the average player was able to solo quests at level above normal. elite was considered more of an accomplishment. there were a small per cent of players that were able to solo elite, but definitely not many.

Quote Originally Posted by Jalgratas View Post
    So, current situation is this. I have my most played and most emotionally connected character sitting in Orien server. Im in GMT +2. Mostly in my timezone evening times the lfg is pretty emptyish. 1 or 2 groups per level range is lucky number. This week I was home because I broke my leg and had nothing better to do then play ddo. Of course couple nights turned into allnighters since I quite literally cant to jack right now. Pointless to attempt to go to beach or anywhere with cask. But I noticed the amount of people in lfg groups spiked monumentally about 4 a.m. in my time. Its about the evening time in US which explains the sudden spike of people. There were tons of groups in lfg. I punched through levels like it there was no tomorrow. However in my prime time its like ghost town. I slapped lfg up for delera chain and... 2 hours counted by ship buffs later i just closed game client. Waiting is not fun. And this life im all out nannybot so my own dps to do the quests is near non existant. It gets worse when im facing quests my class/build/whatever has issues with.

So I have been considering maybe reroll to another server. Where you guys would suggest GMT +2 timezone would fit in best for after work playing time? Im interested in active public grouping. I like people not hirelings or soloing. Dont care if they are newbies or vets. Id just have humans attached to other end of internet.

Otherwise im thinking of quitting because mmo without people for me is no fun.
    2 things:

1st thelanis, there're gajillion european players and guilds, ofc lfm too

2nd get a hire: if u are a healer get a melee one, if you're a melee, get a healer one, if you're arcane, get a wf melee one XD

waiting for 2 hours isn't fun, that's reason enough to do selfsufficient builds, and non nannybots builds, because waiting for a healer or someone to kill the mobs for you, isn't fun

also, soloing, taking your time, will learn the quests well, then you'll be able to run em faster, or ven zerg!!

my 1st life was nannybot, never, ever, again, im gonna do a focused healer, is just a waste of time and resources(pots) because if someone needs a healer in heroic or epic hard content, they're doing it awfully wrong
    psykopeta - hoarding pl, for the sake of hoarding, the day i become ubercompletionist will be because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS i'm not a pro, maybe if i reincarnate in RL...

In the green heart of GERMANY - where wilderness means the next village is 3 klicks away.

Quote Originally Posted by Therigar View Post
    IIRC Wayfinder was designed to be a German server so Euro players should find groups in their most active hours. But, in spite of Germany being one of the largest gaming communities in the world, my take on it is that there isn't enough population to justify the server.
    Wayfinder simply came too late, much too late.

After all the german/euro-players players had already spread over the different servers and put down roots in the community there. Then they open up a dedicated german server and wonder why so few people do not just leave all their friends and guildies behind and start anew on an new server with in addition very low population numbers.
    Erzskalde (Warchanter) / Erzmarschall (melee FvS) / Erzsoldat (waiting for TR-time) / Erzschmied (ranged Artificer)

AOK - From Argonnessen

As a fellow GMT+2 player, I've had similar experiences to you, but I realised that I needed to stay sane and stop playing DDO at 4am.

I've found Ghallanda to be the best for eurozone players and there are some 'super' guilds with high level airships always picking players up in the harbor if you want ship buffs from the get-go.

I've also started on Wayfinder since the new scheme to repopulate it. The number of LFMs can be pretty bad there BUT I've found that so far if I put up a LFM, it gets joined and I've been having fun in the last couple days as a result during daytime/evening GMT+2 time. I've been using the auto join LFM option, rather than waiting for a group to fill before stepping in. That seems to work better. People seem happier to join a quest already begun.

Whether this continues as I reach the higher levels remains to be seen. Fingers crossed.
    Last edited by Zillee; 07-05-2013 at 04:14 PM.

Community Member

you don't need groups to do most anything in DDO if you are skilled enough to accomplish it. that's the direction DDO has been going in the past couple years. it wasn't like that before that and grouping actually ranged from required to supported.

the player base adjusted to the changing of the game. at first people were welcoming that we could solo elite content and didn't need a group, full or shortman, or a designated healer to complete. hirelings became the substitute for healers if you wanted to solo/shortman and weren't good at self sufficiency. eventually, many people saw how this affected them when they actually wanted to group with other people. it has gotten to the point that it can be difficult to fill or form a group for quests/raids and the lfm is half what it was a few years ago. theres many other reasons behind the cause of that too like BB, decline in population and why group if i can handle it myself?

Turbine is constantly shooting themselves in the foot over design choices. a lot of decisions they make are for short gain profit and give in some form what the players want. sometimes, its in the best interest of the overall game to not give what players really want. look at all the rage over Bigbys Boxes because they "lost" 2ish levels with xp boosts. changing the game so DDO became more solo friendly actually alienated some players who enjoy the company of others in groups or cant complete certain quests because its too difficult for them. the lfm panel most times shows the same quests over and over, giving the illusion that the lfm is active. most lfms feature the same notes like "IP", "BYOH" and "Know It". not very new player friendly and just shows how "easy" DDO has become.
    These changes have actually probably increased the life of DDO. People need a reason to group, and that reason in MMOs is usually that people need to actually group to complete content. This playerbase would never ever go for that. Imagine, Divines that only had healing ability. Melees that couldn't keep themselves alive. Squishy casters with an actually limited number of spell points. None of this would ever fly. Ever. In this case, the playerbase set the tone and Turbine evolved DDO to fit what was wanted. These are good things. People that want a traditional MMO have 1000 places to go. This is a niche where DDO has limited competition.

Quote Originally Posted by jalont View Post
    These changes have actually probably increased the life of DDO. People need a reason to group, and that reason in MMOs is usually that people need to actually group to complete content. This playerbase would never ever go for that. Imagine, Divines that only had healing ability. Melees that couldn't keep themselves alive. Squishy casters with an actually limited number of spell points. None of this would ever fly. Ever. In this case, the playerbase set the tone and Turbine evolved DDO to fit what was wanted. These are good things. People that want a traditional MMO have 1000 places to go. This is a niche where DDO has limited competition.
    i don't think making a game that says its supposed to be social, making it intentionally anti social is a good thing. if it was, we would have a lot less threads on DDO is dying.

Bring your own party with you. Multibox!

Community Member

i don't think making a game that says its supposed to be social, making it intentionally anti social is a good thing. if it was, we would have a lot less threads on DDO is dying.
    Was there ever a time where there weren't threads decrying the death of DDO?

Nothing about DDO is designed like an MMO. You don't need parties to do anything.
    You need parties to do high level raids, which is where a large portion of the good, high level gear is. I've played my share of MMORPGs. I could run around solo in them the majority of the time but then grouping was necessary for specific stuff. This is no different.

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

Nothing about DDO is designed like an MMO. You don't need parties to do anything.
    You need parties to do high level raids, which is where a large portion of the good, high level gear is. I've played my share of MMORPGs. I could play solo the majority of the time but then grouping was necessary for specific stuff. This isn't too far off from that.

That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing more stuff that demanded parties and specifically certain roles to complete.
    Last edited by FlaviusMaximus; 07-05-2013 at 07:39 PM.

Come to Thelanis, a lot of people are from Europe and active daily like me.

Was there ever a time where there weren't threads decrying the death of DDO?
    there will always be DDO is dying threads, but didn't see many until after P2W started to become a regular item in the store and when the F2P rush finally settled down. its my understanding that the old timers from pre-F2P were calling doom and F2P would be the death of DDO. it seemed to rise a lot and just increase more over time about 2 years ago. this is why there will always be a post in those threads saying "is it that time of the week already?"

if ya want bodies its cannith/kyber and then arg i think. theyre about the most living servers at most times of day.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

Community Member

On Orien?
    I am exclusively on Orien, also a +2 GMT player and never have a problem. I actually think there are plenty of Euros on the server.
    Sent me a msg and Ill try to help you.
    ~~ Adrunil - Rogue. Halfling, big guy you can't miss him. ~~
    ~~ Adrunel - Monkcher. (Moncher?) ~~
    Robodoc - FvS Evoker-Healer. Post 19: Ended up LRing into 13/7 forc
    Orien server.

you cant transfer servers, and this upcoming enhancements nerf to basically all the central support classes is going to drive away TONS of players. why would healers and sorcs, who are already expending resources to support other players, continue to play if they are nerfed into oblivion? expect the melee and other primary damage classes to follow suit.

turbine has a steady streak of good ideas followed by HORRIBLE implementation. they were trying to improve the GUI but instead they are going to essentially kill the sorcerer and healing classes. unfortunately this has been a recurring pattern and with the recent dev statement that they will not be revisiting the sorcerer class until launch is testament to how little the devs care about improving this game.

i would say watch until update, and if theres no change, quit altogether.

Community Member

Guess ill try Thelanis and Khyber for a week or two then see.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrande View Post
    I would suggest Khyber, the most populated and lots of drama server. If you like people to chat and fight with; that is. It has 700 logins according to DDO Oracle at around 9pm your (GMT+2) time.
    I don't think khyber is the most populated now. Most of the life I see anymore seems to be on thalanis and cannith. Expecially once you start getting into the late evening early morning.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

Community Member WilliamBraveheart's Avatar

DDO is a single player game with a multiplayer option. It isn't a standard MMO. This is something that many of us like about DDO, and wouldn't change it for the world. If you're looking for the standard MMO, you may not find what you're looking for with DDO.
    no, DDO was brought into being as a social mmo where grouping is the norm but changes over the last couple of years giving soloists an easy button has dramatically changed this.

Lookin for sumthin to kill!!

ghallanda is slightly more people then cannith and orien at gmt+2.
    a large amount of euro guilds had already moved to a server either as single persons or as whole guild when turbine moved the euro people to ghallanda so i dont think it would wise to assume that ghallanda has the highest number of players at gmt+2 based on that alone.

id reccomend against you moving to cannith were i am most of the time since i consider that server close to dead at +1gmt, you can get a low lvl party but the capp is dead unless u get a guild

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast