Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Default To reroll or not to reroll or quit altogether?

So, current situation is this. I have my most played and most emotionally connected character sitting in Orien server. Im in GMT +2. Mostly in my timezone evening times the lfg is pretty emptyish. 1 or 2 groups per level range is lucky number. This week I was home because I broke my leg and had nothing better to do then play ddo. Of course couple nights turned into allnighters since I quite literally cant to jack right now. Pointless to attempt to go to beach or anywhere with cask. But I noticed the amount of people in lfg groups spiked monumentally about 4 a.m. in my time. Its about the evening time in US which explains the sudden spike of people. There were tons of groups in lfg. I punched through levels like it there was no tomorrow. However in my prime time its like ghost town. I slapped lfg up for delera chain and... 2 hours counted by ship buffs later i just closed game client. Waiting is not fun. And this life im all out nannybot so my own dps to do the quests is near non existant. It gets worse when im facing quests my class/build/whatever has issues with.

So I have been considering maybe reroll to another server. Where you guys would suggest GMT +2 timezone would fit in best for after work playing time? Im interested in active public grouping. I like people not hirelings or soloing. Dont care if they are newbies or vets. Id just have humans attached to other end of internet.

Otherwise im thinking of quitting because mmo without people for me is no fun.

It is cheap to make a new/temporary character on different servers. Each has different populations at different times.

I would recommend spending 1 week (7 days) on different servers during your Prime time. Find the one with a good population during that time and stick there.

Then when you are happy consider the character move feature.

i heard Wayfinder is hiring.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    i heard Wayfinder is hiring.
    "the'

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    It is cheap to make a new/temporary character on different servers. Each has different populations at different times.

I would recommend spending 1 week (7 days) on different servers during your Prime time. Find the one with a good population during that time and stick there.

Then when you are happy consider the character move feature.
    Character transter has been closed for some time now and there is no ata when it will ever come back.

Community Member

DDO is a single player game with a multiplayer option. It isn't a standard MMO. This is something that many of us like about DDO, and wouldn't change it for the world. If you're looking for the standard MMO, you may not find what you're looking for with DDO.

For all new players it is smart to create a L1 character on each server and to log on at the times you think you'll be playing to see what the population is like.

AFAIK the server population is extremely low on all servers at the moment. My take on Wayfinder is that it must be a waste land -- the bonus XP offered there thru the end of the year seems a last-gasp effort to save the server.

IIRC Wayfinder was designed to be a German server so Euro players should find groups in their most active hours. But, in spite of Germany being one of the largest gaming communities in the world, my take on it is that there isn't enough population to justify the server.

Orien is the next newest server (Wayfinder is newest), followed by Cannith. The others have been around since I started playing and are the survivors of the server merger several years back. Probably would be beneficial to merge Wayfinder, Orien and Cannith to get a reasonable server population -- although that will cause all sorts of issues with character names. The reason I went to Orien was to get names that I wanted.

Overall, the best situation for new players is to test out each server to see what the LFM situation is like during their prime playing times.

Quote Originally Posted by Jalgratas View Post
    So I have been considering maybe reroll to another server. Where you guys would suggest GMT +2 timezone would fit in best for after work playing time? Im interested in active public grouping. I like people not hirelings or soloing. Dont care if they are newbies or vets. Id just have humans attached to other end of internet.

Otherwise im thinking of quitting because mmo without people for me is no fun.
    I would suggest Khyber, the most populated and lots of drama server. If you like people to chat and fight with; that is. It has 700 logins according to DDO Oracle at around 9pm your (GMT+2) time.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Have you tried going with a melee hireling? I know the hireling ai is akin to that of your average frog (if you're lucky!) but at least that's an option.

Quote Originally Posted by grodon9999 View Post
    This game has been such an absurd grind that I’d rather stick my junk in a beehive than make another toon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    An expansion . .. with a set of packs for each plane to come out every month or two . . . it'll be like crack to Whitney Houston.

Might want to check the Ghallanda server too. It's the server that the original European servers were merged into a few years ago.

Another issue is many people have joined Guilds, or have friends, and appear to only play with the same groups of people. That seems to be greatly reducing the amount of LFG posts. With so many guilds, and large guild, a lot of players don't ever need to look at the LFG anymore, which is unfortunate for the rest of us.

As someone else pointed out in the forums, Cordovan announced on 6/25 that wayfinder has become the default recommended server for new players. I am not sure if that means there is some message on login for new players, or if it just defaults to select that server.

ddo also posted that they are currently running +10% xp bonus through the end of the year for wayfinder server.

it is a great way to push the server, I have not played that server in a long while, but it was a ghost town when I did -- empty auction house and no groups. I would be curious to know if it has changed with these recent efforts to promote it. I wonder if they are promoting this in order to have players access a server where there might be less lag due to less players??

all servers (despite wayfinder originally being a german server) are hosted in the home base of boston, right?

Cordovan: 06-25-2013, 03:30

We have taken a couple of steps today that may have an impact on Wayfinder's population. We have removed the [DE] text from the launcher, since Wayfinder is no longer a German-language-specific server. We have also made Wayfinder the default "recommended world" for new players.
    Quote Originally Posted by Therigar View Post
    For all new players it is smart to create a L1 character on each server and to log on at the times you think you'll be playing to see what the population is like.

AFAIK the server population is extremely low on all servers at the moment. My take on Wayfinder is that it must be a waste land -- the bonus XP offered there thru the end of the year seems a last-gasp effort to save the server.

IIRC Wayfinder was designed to be a German server so Euro players should find groups in their most active hours. But, in spite of Germany being one of the largest gaming communities in the world, my take on it is that there isn't enough population to justify the server.

Orien is the next newest server (Wayfinder is newest), followed by Cannith. The others have been around since I started playing and are the survivors of the server merger several years back. Probably would be beneficial to merge Wayfinder, Orien and Cannith to get a reasonable server population -- although that will cause all sorts of issues with character names. The reason I went to Orien was to get names that I wanted.

Overall, the best situation for new players is to test out each server to see what the LFM situation is like during their prime playing times.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post

/agreed

I think this is the best advice you can get.

You might want to start with Wayfinder. I don't hold out high hopes for it, but given the xp bonus and the defaulting of new people there at this particular moment in time it might actually not be a bad place, especially for someone with a +2 GMT timezone.

Community Member

You might want to give Ghallandia a try. It's been a few years since I played there regularly, but when I did there were quite a lot of people online in your time zone.

Hope you find some good people to play with. Those interpersonal connections are what really make or break a game.

2015 DDO Players Council FuzzyDuck81's Avatar

Ghallanda is where all the characters from the old European servers ended up so there's a good population there, also Thelanis was where a lot of the other Europeans moved themselves after DDO went F2P so there's a thriving population there too
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jalont View Post
    DDO is a single player game with a multiplayer option. It isn't a standard MMO. This is something that many of us like about DDO, and wouldn't change it for the world. If you're looking for the standard MMO, you may not find what you're looking for with DDO.
    That's weird because to me DDO is a multiplayer FPS with swords and D&D character building. Just as I "open the sever browser" in CS, or Quake, or Tribes: Ascend, or TF2 (etc.). I open the LFM panel in DDO, just as I "look for maps I want to run/enjoy running" in no particular order or story arc in those FPS games.

Now being a well played gamer I wouldn't dream of treating DDO as a single player game, it's a lousy single player experience, it's no more on my radar for single play than Deer hunter is. Skyrim, playing old expansions and modules in Neverwinter Nights (I spent a good bit of my year long "DDO break" playing Undrentide and various player made modules), the Baldurs gate reboot, the Planescape: Torment "spiritual successor" that got backed on kickstarter recently... those are single player RPG's worthy of the name.

So I'm looking for other people to play with, saying that DDO which was thriving not that long ago, is suddenly a single player MMO or something is just excuse making I'm afraid.

Khyber tends to spike at USA east coast not in bed / west coast done with dinner.

Enoach has a good idea, go fishing and remember weekends and holidays will alter things.
    Last edited by Silverleafeon; 07-05-2013 at 01:30 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ironclans_evil_twin View Post
    That's weird because to me DDO is a multiplayer FPS with swords and D&D character building. Just as I "open the sever browser" in CS, or Quake, or Tribes: Ascend, or TF2 (etc.). I open the LFM panel in DDO, just as I "look for maps I want to run/enjoy running" in no particular order or story arc in those FPS games.

Now being a well played gamer I wouldn't dream of treating DDO as a single player game, it's a lousy single player experience, it's no more on my radar for single play than Deer hunter is. Skyrim, playing old expansions and modules in Neverwinter Nights (I spent a good bit of my year long "DDO break" playing Undrentide and various player made modules), the Baldurs gate reboot, the Planescape: Torment "spiritual successor" that got backed on kickstarter recently... those are single player RPG's worthy of the name.

So I'm looking for other people to play with, saying that DDO which was thriving not that long ago, is suddenly a single player MMO or something is just excuse making I'm afraid.
    Nothing about DDO is designed like an MMO. You don't need parties to do anything. A staple of MMOs is the holy trinity and the need for a group to complete content. There is none of that in DDO. I know you wouldn't dream of treating DDO like a single player game. You've made a lot of posts complaining about the lack of LFMs. The fact that you refuse to acknowledge the design choices Turbine has made and the design choices that the majority of the playerbase likes, doesn't mean they don't exist. It's clear that you want to play a traditional MMO and it's clear from your posts that Turbine isn't providing that with DDO. I don't know what to tell you.

Nothing about DDO is designed like an MMO. You don't need parties to do anything. A staple of MMOs is the holy trinity and the need for a group to complete content. There is none of that in DDO. I know you wouldn't dream of treating DDO like a single player game. You've made a lot of posts complaining about the lack of LFMs. The fact that you refuse to acknowledge the design choices Turbine has made and the design choices that the majority of the playerbase likes, doesn't mean they don't exist. It's clear that you want to play a traditional MMO and it's clear from your posts that Turbine isn't providing that with DDO. I don't know what to tell you.
    Hmm. Would you consider WoW to be an MMO? Because I was easily able to get to the top level allowed for a F2P account in less than 24 hours, all solo playing.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cleanincubus View Post
    Hmm. Would you consider WoW to be an MMO? Because I was easily able to get to the top level allowed for a F2P account in less than 24 hours, all solo playing.
    Haven't checked lately, but isn't that just lvl 20? Out of about 372 lvls? Not quite the same comparison.

you don't need groups to do most anything in DDO if you are skilled enough to accomplish it. that's the direction DDO has been going in the past couple years. it wasn't like that before that and grouping actually ranged from required to supported.

the player base adjusted to the changing of the game. at first people were welcoming that we could solo elite content and didn't need a group, full or shortman, or a designated healer to complete. hirelings became the substitute for healers if you wanted to solo/shortman and weren't good at self sufficiency. eventually, many people saw how this affected them when they actually wanted to group with other people. it has gotten to the point that it can be difficult to fill or form a group for quests/raids and the lfm is half what it was a few years ago. theres many other reasons behind the cause of that too like BB, decline in population and why group if i can handle it myself?

Turbine is constantly shooting themselves in the foot over design choices. a lot of decisions they make are for short gain profit and give in some form what the players want. sometimes, its in the best interest of the overall game to not give what players really want. look at all the rage over Bigbys Boxes because they "lost" 2ish levels with xp boosts. changing the game so DDO became more solo friendly actually alienated some players who enjoy the company of others in groups or cant complete certain quests because its too difficult for them. the lfm panel most times shows the same quests over and over, giving the illusion that the lfm is active. most lfms feature the same notes like "IP", "BYOH" and "Know It". not very new player friendly and just shows how "easy" DDO has become.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast