Default Really, really love the new enhancement system (explained)

I'm going to keep this relatively brief, but I was very excited and apprehensive about the new enhancement system, so I downloaded Lammia for the first time and checked it out. I was very surprised and satisfied by what I saw.

First, it's constantly improving. I expected to have to take Wand DC enhancements, for example, as an artificer; that's already been scrapped (which isn't updated on the DDO Wiki, where I'd been drawing info from). Some things are not working yet, but it all looks amazing so far.

Almost every PRE is being fleshed out. Is it exactly what every single player wants/expect/demands? No. I'm particularly sad over Arti's not getting UMD enhancements. But overall, they've done an amazing job with the revamp.

Classes like Clerics seem to be upset about certain PREs (for example, the Protection tree), but the truth is that the tree itself (for example, if you wanted to play a tanky cleric) is often pretty well designed (if that tree represented your focus/interest). All three trees for rogues, for example, look amazing.

The redesign seems to provide more flexibility (versus less) than many people might lead you to believe. Some builds will likely be broken. It's also extremely unlikely you will end up with the same everything you had before. But you will likely have more to work with afterward (even if it's new stuff you did not ask for) than you previously had.

Multiclass and FoTM characters are most likely to be hit the hardest by the changes in new system, which is by no means dumbed down or killing flexibility. In fact, multi-classing in this system will provide almost endless customization. If you're willing to give up a pure capstone, you can pick from so many other things to replace it. Add in the fact that many abilities are tied to class levels (evasion, paly auras, bard songs, rune arm use, etc) and not directly to enhancements, and it makes the entire system feel even deeper and more complicated.

The new enhancement system will actually multiply the number of viable, interesting options people will have in building their characters.

Finally, as far as new systems and coding goes, it seems to me that focusing on new vs. existing code is actually a big deal, but not necessarily in the way people argue. If they're able to completely rewrite older code to be cleaner and better designed, I think they should go for it. Assuming the programming team is new/better, they have a chance to replace old, buggy programming and completely short-circuit the problems they were having trouble finding/correcting.

Instead of searching for weeks to isolate a bug that's been a problem, they can rewrite the code so it functions properly (and smartly) to begin with.

I'm actually pretty excited about the new expansion, and my continued time with DDO. All of this is only my opinion, and it is not meant to convince anyone who has made up their minds about anything. But, if you weren't sure about the new enhancement system--like I was before Lamma this morning--you might want to pause before panicking. Get on Lamma yourself and check it out. As of July 4th, 2013, it looks amazing to me; really, really wonderful job Turbine!

Community Member

I am looking forward to the enhance pass too, sure it will break some builds (how are we going to fix multi life characters???) but it is going to open up a whole new avenue of character building, I really think this pass was required for the evolution of DDO.

My only real issue is are we going to get some way of fixing all of our characters (remembering that many are built to fill specific rolls with specific class/race splits etc) without having to drag each one through 4.378mil of Heroic XP?
    Toons:
    Smallmans Syndrome, Rovac, Dragnipur, Prettyhater Machine, Lubed, Castinfist
    Emmpeethree, Hyperkill Hyperthrill and Greyvegas (All on Khyber)

Community Member

I am looking forward to the enhance pass too, sure it will break some builds (how are we going to fix multi life characters???) but it is going to open up a whole new avenue of character building, I really think this pass was required for the evolution of DDO.

My only real issue is are we going to get some way of fixing all of our characters (remembering that many are built to fill specific rolls with specific class/race splits etc) without having to drag each one through 4.378mil of Heroic XP?
    Toons:
    Smallmans Syndrome, Rovac, Dragnipur, Prettyhater Machine, Lubed, Castinfist
    Emmpeethree, Hyperkill Hyperthrill and Greyvegas (All on Khyber)

Community Member

awesome!

Community Member

ive only checked out the wiki on it but i am not too worried that it will be bad.. Just that it might break some builds and I would be happy if we were given a +5 heart of wood or a similar option as compensation as for multiclasses, just a +0 wouldn't cut it..

I hate the new system. I have tested 8 builds in lammania, and seven are worse as in live. We need class trees and give up the “points spend in tree” thing. Racial requirements are criminally high too. Quite disappointed.
    English is not my native language. Sorry for the mistakes.

Do I love it or hate it?

Depends on the class.

My caster druid is far stronger on Llamaland than live.

My FvS? Unchanged, but more force spellpower is always welcome. However, she's eyeing Divine Disciple jealously, and a third life as a Cleric is possible.

My rogue is more awesome.

My monk is incredible.

Even my Juggernaut is better on Llama.

You couldn't pay me to roll a sorcerer now, though.

My paladin feels "meh."

So...yeah. I'm excited overall, but some stuff needs work.
    Thelanis - Dragons of the Shire
    Naeryna (Sun Elf 24 FvS Evoker) // Dianocia (Drow 11 Buckler o' Swashes) // Valissia (Elf 22 Shiradi Druid)
    Nae haz a story. Go read it.

Founder

If the situation with sorcerers was different I would have a lot more love for it.

Quote Originally Posted by dlsidhe View Post
    So...yeah. I'm excited overall, but some stuff needs work.
    Quote Originally Posted by maddong
    If the situation with sorcerers was different I would have a lot more love for it.
    I sincerely hope they keep at it until the system is polished for each of the classes. I can understand the disappointment people must feel when their favorite classes don't seem fun anymore. *hugs*

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iriale View Post
    I hate the new system. I have tested 8 builds in lammania, and seven are worse as in live. We need class trees and give up the “points spend in tree” thing. Racial requirements are criminally high too. Quite disappointed.
    The problem is that you're fighting the system instead of working with it. There's no use in trying to replicate builds in the new system. For the vast majority of builds, that won't work. What you want to try and do is create a NEW build that does the same thing equally or better than the build on live. That's the difference, and there's so much more build options in the new system, that's it's very unlikely that you'll find an overall power nerf.