Community Member

Default List of quests good for rogue?

I've been playing for about a week now and got my barbarian to 7. I am really curious to play a rogue though. My problem is figuring out what quests my rogue can solo. I have a build already planned.

My barb has been great at every quest that didn't require groups. Able to solo most quests hard and elite with a hireling. I know my rogue won't be able to solo close to as well with lower damage and hp though. A lot of quests require you to fight a lot of mobs at once, which will eat my rogue up. So I was just curious if there is a link someone could post with the best quests for rogues? There are so many quests that I wouldn't be able to remember which ones was goo for rogue. And rather not die a lot to figure out if my rogue can solo it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Malkavius View Post
    I was just curious if there is a link someone could post with the best quests for rogues?
    Not as far as I know. Eventually characters need to run most content in any case either for favor or for the XP. So, while some people develop quest lists to maximize XP and the speed at which characters level, I've never known anyone to put together a list of class specific or class friendly quests.

My experience with rogues is that you can do everything that the barbarian did -- quest wise anyway -- with an adjustment in how you play the game. Barbarians (and some other classes as well) seem to manage just rushing in and fighting whatever they encounter. Rogues don't usually survive played that way.

Instead, I found that being a little more selective -- drawing mobs in small numbers, sneaking past when there's no door in the way, etc. -- is a more effective approach to running a rogue. With an adjustment in mindset and playing style there really isn't any quest that your barbarian is doing that a rogue should not be able to do as well.

I've been playing for about a week now and got my barbarian to 7. I am really curious to play a rogue though. My problem is figuring out what quests my rogue can solo. I have a build already planned.

My barb has been great at every quest that didn't require groups. Able to solo most quests hard and elite with a hireling. I know my rogue won't be able to solo close to as well with lower damage and hp though. A lot of quests require you to fight a lot of mobs at once, which will eat my rogue up. So I was just curious if there is a link someone could post with the best quests for rogues? There are so many quests that I wouldn't be able to remember which ones was goo for rogue. And rather not die a lot to figure out if my rogue can solo it or not.
    Rogue is actually a *more* self-sufficient class than barbarian. Any quest you can do on your barb, you can do on a rogue. There are just a few tricks to it:

1. Don't charge into groups of mobs. Bluff-pull them. Put the Bluff skill on your hotbar, drop into sneak mode, sneak into range, target a mob with Bluff, then sneak back around a corner or just out of detection range. That mob will follow you without alerting its buddies. Kill it. Repeat until there are only a few mobs left. You can also use Bluff to let you get sneak attacks even if the mob is targeting you, which radically increases your damage output.

2. Put points into Use Magic Device and get a Persuasion item. This will let you use wands and scrolls which radically improve your self-sufficiency. Keep your AC up via use of Barkskin and Shield of Faith potions and level 1 Shield wands, which incidentally also protect you from the Magic Missile spell--the bane of rogues because you cannot Evade it.

3. Boost up your reflex save and use conveniently-placed traps to kill nearby mobs before you disarm the trap.

4. Use Trapmaking to create traps with a variety of effects.

5. Take the Sap feat so if you get more than one mob attacking you, you can disable one of them for long enough to kill the first one. Sap has no saving throw and if the attack would be a sneak attack it lasts twice as long. Just remember not to hit the sapped target again until you are free to kill them.

6. ALWAYS carry DR-breakers. Your low base damage makes breaking DR more important than bonus damage on weapons. In particular at low levels make sure you can break DR on golems (usually adamantine, although on clay golems it is adamantine AND bludgeon) and undead (slashing for zombies or bludgeoning for skeletons). Otherwise you will find these enemies very resource-intensive to battle. If you haven't done a quest before, try to find someone you can ask about any exotic DR that might be present in the quest. Because oozes are immune to sneak attack and you have low primary damage, you will want to make sure you carry some kind of ooze-proof weapon or you will find yourself wrecking your weapons WAY more often than the higher-damage barb does. It will be necessary to switch weapons far more often than on the barb to stay effective, so be prepared.

7. Your will save is going to be very bad so ALWAYS prioritize locating casters from a position of safety and KILLING THE HECK out of them before they can hold you or otherwise screw you over bigtime.

8. USE your Uncanny Dodge. It gives you an enormous dodge and reflex boost and it has no associated resource so you can use it whenever it's off cooldown.

9. Make sure you buy AT LEAST the first level of Haste boost. It's far more valuable than damage boost and can save your bacon when kicking out damage quickly is the only way out of a hairy situation.

10. ANYTHING that lets you get sneak attack is EXTREMELY valuable. The bluff skill, Deception or anything that blinds enemies or renders them "helpless" (like stat damage) should be pursued. 4d6+9 bonus damage from sneak attack is WAY better than +1d6 fire.

11. Invest in your trap skills and make sure you get the best boosting items available. Don't wait until level 10 to upgrade your +3 items. You should have a skill boosting item with a value that is roughly equivalent to your character level until you're packing +15 items. This will make the people who party with you happy even if your combat effectiveness is mediocre. If you join a group as a rogue, people WILL expect you to DO TRAPS. AND DON'T SKIP SPOT. People like to tell rogues that "spot is useless". If you are a newbie rogue nothing could be further from the truth. You will likely not have the gear required to boost your reflex save into fail-only-on-a-one territory and you won't have the trap locations memorized. Nothing makes you look like a chump more than being one-shot by a trap when the party is expecting you to disarm the thing because you had no clue it was even there.
    I edited a book!

Thelanis player: Arekkeh, Kimberlei (heroic completionist), Lehren (heroic/epic completionist), Natheme, Terpsikhore

Community Member

Put your cleric hireling into agressive mode, in case you have to fight too much enemies at the same time. Actually I'd do this on any toon and switch to passive/guarding mode only when you want to bluff-pull single enemies, deactivate something or when it's necessary to have a second party member doing something on the other side of the map. The cleric will do a great job most of the time, both meleeing and distant fighting with her/his ray, selfhealing and healing you. And all her/his kills count to you too, if it's an optional or slayer quest.

Community Member

Thanks for the info guys. But it seems like the way to play rogue will end up taking me 2-3 times longer to do quests than my barb. Which seems kinda depressing. Also will having a hireling make mobs spot me as it follows? Also how would a rogue have any chance doing quests like kobold assault where waves keep coming in? My barb was able to do on hard but I can't see how my rogue could.

Thanks for the info guys. But it seems like the way to play rogue will end up taking me 2-3 times longer to do quests than my barb. Which seems kinda depressing. Also will having a hireling make mobs spot me as it follows? Also how would a rogue have any chance doing quests like kobold assault where waves keep coming in? My barb was able to do on hard but I can't see how my rogue could.
    There are a number of quests you can do FASTER on a rogue because you can just sneak past the vast majority of the monsters instead of fighting them. There is actually a separate XP bonus for this style of play. You get extra XP for killing a ton of mobs (aggression, onslaught, conquest)--but you ALSO get extra xp (discreet, devious) for barely killing any of them. The bluff-pulling and other tactics are to enable you to fight the monsters you absolutely must fight and skip all the others.

If you drag your hireling WITH YOU everywhere, yes, the mobs will spot the hireling and attack it, however you can still do stealthy-advance by parking your hireling in a corner (toggle follow off) and then sneaking off. If you get far enough away (particularly if you're now on the other side of a closed door or similar), they will teleport directly to you instead of walking the intervening distance. You can facilitate this by climbing up on something highish and calling your hireling while you're in mid-air, the hireling won't be able to path to you and so they will teleport. It usually doesn't work if you just jump, though, usually you have to hop up on something and jump down.

Kobold Assault in particular is often *easier* to solo on a rogue because you have evasion and thus will avoid damage from most of the lightning bolts. If you hunker in the door the melee kobolds will come to you while the ranged ones (including the shamans) hang around outside, so you can kill the melee ones and then run out and tackle the shamans when it suits you.

Every class in the game can solo, you just have to understand the strengths of that particular class and how to make use of them.
    I edited a book!

Thelanis player: Arekkeh, Kimberlei (heroic completionist), Lehren (heroic/epic completionist), Natheme, Terpsikhore