Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mobrien316 View Post
    For all non-epic levels, is anyone using them for anything other than Vitality?
    Wisdom for spell casting on rangers and paladins. Esp when TRing.

Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastrd View Post
    The Gift is for early levels when you can't use Voice or Mantle and for very high levels when Voice and Mantle are too weak to merit a gear slot.
    Voice is in a slot for 5 seconds before quest completion, and Mantle only for the odd beholder/neg absorption need. I know what you're going say "but optionals" I've been in this argument already side quests and optionals barely give enough incentive to put the voice on, amounts to a few hundred XP per quest. Over the life of a couple TR toon that only does the odd optional, you're probably losing more XP per minute running to the twelve to craft it than you get from optionals, unless you're a "every optional" kind of player, which is fine.

If you don't like swapping gear go for it, I consider that augment a waste of 5 extra absorption charges personally. as I get 99% of it's benefit without using a clear slot up or any gear slots. I also seem to only ever have about 3-4 clear slots, and find 20 vitality and +4 or +6 (even +7) to an off ability to be far more valuable that having a "no gear swap lazy mans Voice" version of Voice taking one of those slots up.

This is to say nothing of the utility of having +7 stats slotted for off abilities... All of a sudden a dump stat becomes:
    8 + 3 tome +7 = 18

That's a 6 modifier swing for a cheap 350k tome and some eGH relics. 6 better reflex save, 6 better will save.

I guess it's cool for a couple levels before you can equip Voice, between the ML of the item and the ML5 of voice, which is going to be something like what 3 levels unless you cannith craft a blank "gift holder" with master craftsmanship and no other affixes? Personally I wouldn't throw 5 raid tokens at that but whatever.

Then of course If you want to go really min/max or you're doing some sort of crazy completionist that will get +4 tomes in every stat; there's 8 stat, +4 tome, +7 clear augment +1 exceptional clear augment (or one that happens to be on your gear, I have 1 or 2 of these on most characters). = a 20 dump stat.

Knock yourself out if you don't like swaping gear, but IMO there are better things to do with a clear slot. and I like having 5 extra charges for emergency use (like you just rezed near a beholder who already used up your plis, cloak or SF talisman charges).

For me the Gift takes gear I only ever slot for a moment, a moment where it is very nice to have, and turns it into an augment that permanently takes up augment slots I would rather use for more powerful full time applications.

Community Member

Nope. It's usually 2 GS slots, heavy fort, 5 resists, LGA x2 with something, Torc+2 necro, gfl, 6 con and twinked primary stats. Or something like that. Nat armour, deflection on melees or whatever .
    ML 12 augment is + 3, ML 16+5, clear stat+ 6 item is usually ml 9. In other words, if you gonna twink, twink hard !

Quote Originally Posted by Ironclans_evil_twin View Post
    Voice is in a slot for 5 seconds before quest completion, and Mantle only for the odd beholder/neg absorption need. I know what you're going say "but optionals" I've been in this argument already side quests and optionals barely give enough incentive to put the voice on, amounts to a few hundred XP per quest. Over the life of a couple TR toon that only does the odd optional, you're probably losing more XP per minute running to the twelve to craft it than you get from optionals, unless you're a "every optional" kind of player, which is fine.
    I would actually use the xp augment, but i dont own threnal, so it isn't an option. On my tr's, i usually am an all optionals kind of player, and i get a kick out of getting large amounts of xp from single quests, rather than farming them for xp/minute.

Also, the number of times i forget to swap in my voice would make you think i was addled.

Intergalactic Space Crusader Livmo's Avatar

Default Heart the augments

I use allot of augments and iI don't mind putting one in a slot that already has one.

I get augmest failry easliy from the AH, GH augment vendors (L12-24), and from Lahar (red elemental) next to the 12 Altair of Epic Rituals. You can find augments other places as well, but these are my main sources.

Also, a good place to slot your Gift of Master augment is this item:

http://ddowiki.com/page/Epic_Ring_of...aneer_(Tier_3)

You get the same bonus as the the Gift with the Good Luck and it frees up the trinket slot if you dont like switching. So, once I hit L20 and equip the ring I can forget about it till I TR. Once I hit L20 I equip the ring never taket the ring off.

--

The colorless augments are great for maxing some stat and consildating items as I level.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by nibel View Post
    That is not a problem. On your primary stats it is expected that you devote a gear slot for it. The colorless slots are for tertiary stats.

I mean, sure, you can have all stats +6 items by level 9 crafting or 11 on pure items. But to do so you need to invest six gear slots. Instead, you can use named/random items with colorless slots to get more in a single slot than just a single stat increase.
    That's just it though; find me a better piece of gear than a +6 stat at level 9, and I'll craft around it.

If a subpar plus to a stat is sufficient, then it's probably not necessary at all. If it's the best you've got, or you happen to have an empty slot and an appropriate augment, then sure; otherwise, it's not worth the effort.

It makes a bit more sense at 20 while you're shuffling epic gear around, but then you've got to take exceptional stat gems into account. I hate to sound so negative about it, but I've been trying to figure what the benefit of colorless augments are to heroic toons since they implemented the system, and either it's totally eluded me or there really isn't one; it's frustrating to see so much gear with a slot that's just sitting there like a sad lump, raising the ML like it's got anything important to be doing.

Maybe if Turbine ever fixes whatever the issue was with skill gems...
    Last edited by FrancisP.Fancypants; 07-05-2013 at 11:58 PM.

Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FestusHood View Post
    I would actually use the xp augment, but i dont own threnal, so it isn't an option. On my tr's, i usually am an all optionals kind of player, and i get a kick out of getting large amounts of xp from single quests, rather than farming them for xp/minute.

Also, the number of times i forget to swap in my voice would make you think i was addled.
    Eh, happens to me too, took me a while to really drill the habbit of swapping back... I did it by hovering the mouse over the main trinket the moment after I click the voice... "bwaziiIIIINGA" 15,000xp click main trinket again. I am bad at getting into good habbits but this mostly works for me. occasionally (usually when my trinket is kind of lame) I will go to click voice and it's already been equipped the whole quest. Not a big deal, as we've obviously completed without me needing the optimal trinket

2015 DDO Players Council Sebastrd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ironclans_evil_twin View Post

If you don't like swapping gear go for it, I consider that augment a waste of 5 extra absorption charges personally. as I get 99% of it's benefit without using a clear slot up or any gear slots. I also seem to only ever have about 3-4 clear slots, and find 20 vitality and +4 or +6 (even +7) to an off ability to be far more valuable that having a "no gear swap lazy mans Voice" version of Voice taking one of those slots up...
    You and I just have different playstyles. I slotted mine in a Jade Ring and was using it from the time I stepped off the boat in Korthos. Instead of farming XP/min, I tend to run everything, within reason, on elite all the way to 20. I level fast enough, get bonus XP from all the optionals - most of which, I do - and I earn max favor toward TP every life without having to favor farm anything later. Past 20 I still wear an XP item for leveling EDs.

Astreya the Unturning

It's always a shame when the hammer of poor design choices smashes the fun of player tactical adaptation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12