Community Member

Default Please reverse puchase of Bigby's Box

In a rush of "woohoo! The boxes are back!" I purchased a Bigby's Box. Before I even opened mine, guildies let me know that the stone is 7-15 instead of 8-16 (which I should have read for myself), XP boosts are not working on it (which wasn't stated anywhere and is contradictory to previous Otto's boxes), and people are reportedly only being leveled to 14 not 15!

Unopened box is currently sitting in my shared bank. Please remove it and refund my TP.

Thank you.
    Andrialla / Archellus / Corylone / Rorifeela / Rugare / Slappi / Sylvarian
    Knight of The Silver Legion (Forum name: Rugar)
    Cannith

Community Member

Default Irony

Players have been complaining about level 15 for years....YEARS on these forums and in party chats and in tells and in channel chats and in voice chat.

And Turbine thinks we need "Iconic Classes" that start at what level? Yes FIFTEEN.

And now a box that takes us straight to what level? Yes FIFTEEN.

Some very clever strategic thinking going on over there in the control room!.

Quote Originally Posted by Maelphistez View Post
    In a rush of "woohoo! The boxes are back!" I purchased a Bigby's Box. Before I even opened mine, guildies let me know that the stone is 7-15 instead of 8-16 (which I should have read for myself), XP boosts are not working on it (which wasn't stated anywhere and is contradictory to previous Otto's boxes), and people are reportedly only being leveled to 14 not 15!

Unopened box is currently sitting in my shared bank. Please remove it and refund my TP.

Thank you.
    RTFM on Khyber, Toy Soldiers.

Toy Soldiers PD Roll Builds Guild on Wayfinder.

Community Member

I recognize that my original request was made on a holiday of a long holiday weekend so I have waited patiently for some action on this issue. Turbine has been at work now for approximately 6 hours and no response yet.

Bumping it up, hoping for a little attention.
    Cannith

Community Member

Hello Turbine.

I'm still waiting for a response.
    Cannith

Contact them directly.

Hello Turbine.

I'm still waiting for a response.
    Nobody is going to be able to do refund you because of a post on the forums. I doubt you'll get a refund at all even if you do call them.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that you only level to 14... I'm sure if that was true, there would be many more threads to that effect.

The box does what it says it does. That is not grounds for a refund.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

I love these threads. Product A was highly successful with an unadvertised side effect. Product B does exactly what they advertise it does. People don't complain about the unintended side effect of product A because it benifits them. That's cool.

Then product B comes out and people snap them up assuming , incorrectly, that the same side effect would apply to product B. When it didn't have the unintended side effect of product A they start boo-hooing and demanding their money back.

Have I gotten it about right?

So, if I buy a candy bar from a store and find a diamond inside, that's good. But if I go back a couple weeks later and buy a similar candy bar and it doesn't have a diamond in it, I can demand my money back? Not bloody fricken likely.

That being said, good luck with your "boo-hoo gimme my money back!" crusade.

Quote Originally Posted by grodon9999 View Post
    This game has been such an absurd grind that I’d rather stick my junk in a beehive than make another toon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    An expansion . .. with a set of packs for each plane to come out every month or two . . . it'll be like crack to Whitney Houston.

Community Member

Thank you all for your comments and insights. I have elevated this to a direct support request. I thought I was following the correct elevation procedure but I see now this is just a "player help" forum and not an actual "Account Management Assistance" forum.

@MalkavianX - I'm not sure about the specifics of your location, but I generally assume that customer transactions can be reversed for any reason. Not necessarily because of any law, but because it is always easier to retain a customer than it is to gain a new one. This situation may not exist in your location though so I don't know. In my personal experience, it is generally considered sound business practice to keep customers who have a demonstrated willingness to purchase your products happy. And your "candy bar" analogy is terrible. Following your theme, it would be more correct to state that people order a "Large", limited issue Candy Bar sight unseen and find that though advertised to weigh 100g, it in fact weighs 125g. Subsequent purchases of this Candy Bar are all also 125g. If after several such purchases, I eventually receive a Candy Bar that only weighs the advertised 100g instead of the now expected 125g... I am dissatisfied. I seek to have my unopened, uneaten Candy Bar refunded because it isn't what I expected. Is the seller required to refund my Candy Bar purchase? Absolutely not. They have provided exactly what was described. Would it be a sound business decision to do so? Absolutely yes. You absolutely want a paying customer to feel that they are getting value for their money and that their concerns are addressed.

Does Turbine have to refund my purchase? No, they do not.
    Will I be unhappy if they don't? Yes, I will.
    Will I stop purchasing things if they don't? Unknown. I will certainly be much more reluctant to purchase items.
    Cannith

Quote Originally Posted by MalkavianX View Post
    I love these threads. Product A was highly successful with an unadvertised side effect. Product B does exactly what they advertise it does. People don't complain about the unintended side effect of product A because it benifits them. That's cool. Then product B comes out and people snap them up assuming , incorrectly, that the same side effect would apply to product B. When it didn't have the unintended side effect of product A they start boo-hooing and demanding their money back.Have I gotten it about right? So, if I buy a candy bar from a store and find a diamond inside, that's good. But if I go back a couple weeks later and buy a similar candy bar and it doesn't have a diamond in it, I can demand my money back? Not bloody fricken likely.That being said, good luck with your "boo-hoo gimme my money back!" crusade.
    Unintended? Says who?

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Miow View Post
    Unintended? Says who?
    I would say Turbine, since they made the second box. Probably were unable to recode the original.

What I really want to know is, if you like skipping a lot of levels, why ask for a refund for a product that lets you skip 8 levels? And costs less than the one with the side effects, hence, they are not ripping you off? If you don't use a box, you have to do 20 levels. If you do use a box, you have to do 12 levels. Sure, it's not as great as having to do the 10 levels you do with the amped up Otto's, but it's still less than you have to do without using one at all. Personally I like playing the game and don't use them, but if I did, it would still seems a good deal to me. Especially since it costs less than the other one, they didn't just change it and keep it at the higher price.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Community Member

@TrinityTurtle - I like playing parts of the game. Others are a chore that I grind through to get where I want to be. Given an opportunity to skip some of the chore and spend my limited gaming time in the part I "like", I will take the opportunity to do so. Some of us are purists who think you should start at level one with nothing but what you find along your path, rerolling if you die. Others prefer to pour as much twink into the pot as possible to get characters back up to the levels we find fun. And in my case, I have characters I am invested in and would like to play in new ways / new classes, but don't want to have to go through the grind again to get them where I want.

If you don't understand why I'd rather pay 4995 points for an Otto's than 3995 points of a Bigby's... then our approach to the game is just too different to explain. The beauty of the whole thing is that no ones approach is wrong, they are just different.
    Cannith

Customer: Impulse buy!!! .... Buyer's Remorse.

Vendor: All sales are final.

Community Member

@Systern - Thank you for your helpful summation. If you will read my various posts above, you will see that I have acknowledged that Turbine may or may not legally be required to refund my purchase. Locations vary on the specifics in regards to these types of transactions. Without doing a lot more in-depth research than I am ready to go into, I can base my assumptions on legal refund requirements only on what I can easily discover in 5 minutes of searching.

1) Turbines headquarters are located in Needham, Massachusetts.

2) The refund law in Massachusetts states that "As long as the product is not defective, a merchant can choose any return policy, provided the merchant discloses this policy to the buyer before the purchase."

3) "Turbine Points" represent a virtual currency. Laws governing virtual currency are some-what in the "wild, wild west" stage of development. Certainly, the case of a virtual item being purchased via a virtual currency obtained through a combination of in-game rewards and real currency is one which as far as I know has not been argued. I could be wrong, but I think I'd remember that one.

Now... to bullet it out for you since you seem to enjoy those, let me offer two possibilities:

Possibility 1:
    Maelphistez: Between the time I purchased my Bigby's Box and before I actually opened it, I realized that it didn't do what I had expected and would like a refund of my TP.

Turbine: We understand. We have removed the unopened box from your shared bank and refunded the purchase price of Turbine Points into your account.

Maelphistez: Thank you. (Waits for Otto's box to come around again.)

Possibility 2:
    Maelphistez: Between the time I purchased my Bigby's Box and before I actually opened it, I realized that it didn't do what I had expected and would like a refund of my TP.

Turbine: We are sorry, but the Turbine Store policy as stated here (unfindable by my search-foo link to Store policy) states that all Turbine Store purchases are non-refundable.

Maelphistez: So, I am stuck with the Bigby's Box and there is no way to undo this transaction?

Turbine: No.

Maelphistez: Thank you for the response. (Uses the B-Box, but second, triple, and quadruple guesses any future TP purchases)

Hooray for illustrations!
    Cannith

Quote Originally Posted by Miow View Post
    Unintended? Says who?
    maybe for the fact turbine NEVER said this is the way it works. so yes its not intended. Until there is an official response saying hey this is the way its suppose to work. Then you can't assume anything. You can't blame them either if they say hey this was not suppose to stack either. it was an unadvertised effect.

you can only complain about it if they said its wai.

In a rush of "woohoo! The boxes are back!" I purchased a Bigby's Box. Before I even opened mine, guildies let me know that the stone is 7-15 instead of 8-16 <snip> Unopened box is currently sitting in my shared bank. Please remove it and refund my TP.

Thank you.
    Well since you did not open the box it might be possible but I'm not sure this is the direct way to get help on the issue. I'd call the support line and hopefully you'll get the issue addressed by Turbine. I don't know if you'll get the transaction reversed... good luck and next time remember caveat emptor.

Toons: Tegor - Valask - Markita - Richiurd - Morjak - Mylaphin
    Guild: The Rogue Saints - Sarlona

Community Member

Thanks all for your insight on this problem. For the record, this is *not* the appropriate place to look for resolution of an account problem from Turbine. It's more for help from other players.

With that said, once I opened a ticket via http://support.turbine.com my issues were addressed within 48 hours.

Thank you all again.
    Last edited by Maelphistez; 07-11-2013 at 06:15 PM.
    Cannith

Thanks all for your insight on this problem. For the record, this is *not* the appropriate place to look for resolution of an account problem from Turbine. It's more for help from other players.

With that said, once I opened a ticket via http://support.turbine.com my issues were addresses within 48 hours.

Thank you all again.
    so did they refund you?
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

Community Member

They did in fact refund the purchase. There is another problem with the refund that we are working through, but they did refund the TP.
    Cannith