Community Member

Default Trying to decide if it's worth keeping an elite streak...

I'm level 13 now on my 5th life and I've kept an elite streak so far.. In the past I normally would drop my streak from elite to hard at about this level. I solo almost the entire time, and by this point a hard streak feels like faster XP to me because it's so much easier to die in elite (everything from rolling a 1 to forgetting a trap).

At what level range do you think it's faster XP if you drop your elite streak to hard (for soloing / pugging)?

I quad box a lot and have found I can complete up to Vale quests on Elite if I have the appropriate time available. Past that I drop to hard streak.

I'll drop to a hard once I'm done with the vale and most of IQ, but I only drop to hard if I see a good ETK farming group up or for certain amarath quests.
    --Pealea, Peawee, worldpeas, givepeas achance, and whoopea on Khyber

I drop to hard at 20. I have dropped to hard a few times at level 18 when I joined groups for Acute Delirium, but I think those were the only times. I would easily pick elite back up again though. for me, its not about time or xp/min. I can normally keep elite up to level 20 by soloing and joining pugs or jumping into guild groups taking me 3-4 weeks to cap on a 3rd+ life character. I don't actually feel the difficulty of elite until level 13, but doesn't become really challenging solo to me until level 16 when I do elite level 14 quests. than it depends on the quest from that point on if I feel challenged in a decent group or soloing.

Quote Originally Posted by Laeelin View Post
    I'm level 13 now on my 5th life and I've kept an elite streak so far.. In the past I normally would drop my streak from elite to hard at about this level. I solo almost the entire time, and by this point a hard streak feels like faster XP to me because it's so much easier to die in elite (everything from rolling a 1 to forgetting a trap).

At what level range do you think it's faster XP if you drop your elite streak to hard (for soloing / pugging)?
    It depends on class, build, and gearing on the toon for me, I'll drop it anywhere between after vale to when epic starts.

The people I generally run with when I'm in a TRing mood farm level 19-20 off Vale and (sometimes) some Reaver's Refuge, and we keep our Elite streak until we're done with heroic levels. Every once in a while one of us will derp ourselves to death but that first-time Elite bonus is just too big to pass up.

Of course, we do a TR in 3-4 days instead of 3-4 weeks. I think our record thus far is pulling down something like 2.1M xp in one day, but that was during a 20% xp weekend running levels 9-16 where the really big, fast xp quests are.

If you can find ONE other person to TR with who is reasonably reliable, it cuts your time down ENORMOUSLY even if you don't have crazy amounts of free time for playing. It also makes maintaining that elite streak a lot more viable, particularly on lives where you have limited self-sufficiency.
    I edited a book!

Thelanis player: Arekkeh, Kimberlei (heroic completionist), Lehren (heroic/epic completionist), Natheme, Terpsikhore

When I solo, I usually drop the Elite bravery bonus after having done vale, except Running with the Devils, and do this quest on hard since it can be a bit tedious on elite. Then I just continue on hard until lvl 20.

When U19 comes, I might continue my streak in RwtD as well, since they are then nerfing the spell damage in there quite significantly, making it much easier to solo.

When TRing with good groups/buddies, I just continue streaking to 20.
    Proud officer of Spellbinders: http://spellbinders.shivtr.com/
    Lyrandar(EU)->Devourer(EU)->Cannith

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

In my personal opinion, you can drop an elite streak any time and replace it with a hard streak if you know which xp/minute quests to repeat or grind to make up for it. It all depends on whether or not dropping a streak speeds things up for you or slows you down overall. Your build, experience, support network (people you group with), and knowledge of the xp efficiency of quests mostly determine this.

It sounds like you have already determined that a hard streak will be faster for you. Seems like a solid decision. Godspeed.
    Last edited by FlaviusMaximus; 07-04-2013 at 02:09 AM.

Community Member

it depends, mainly I solo or pug...occasionally run some quest with guildies.
    After hitting liv 16 there are some quest that on solo are a lot faster on hard (especially for a non trapper build), if I find quick a decent PUG or some guildies for them we run it on elite, if not i drop streak... usually i drop it after necro 4

Community Member

Default cow cmp

Mr cow did a comparison last year between full hard streak and full elite streak for a solo sorc from lvl 1 to 20.
    He is an incredibly skilled player, but the XP/min was almost the same with both strategy.

I try to break elite streak at lvl 10 for the coyle stuff. This way I feel free to join any group and don't cry if I need to break my BB from time to time.

I don't let BB reducing my freedom (at the expense of XP).

2014 DDO Players Council

Personally, the XP bonus is only one reason for an Elite streak. I also like the challenge, and getting full favor on a once-and-done basis. I generally keep my Elite streak all the way to cap, be it 20-and-TR, or all the way to 25 if I'm staying capped a while.

But if/when you start having severe difficulty completing on Elite, maybe that's when you should drop to a Hard streak.

I don't really put xp/min at the top of my priorities... fun/min is usually the goal.

Yeah, I've done the TR train with other folks, and it is a little faster. But holy guacamole is it boring to just zerg quests over and over.

As the above poster mentioned, I usually keep an elite streak primarily because I like the challenge. I will drop the streak anytime I feel like it, mostly to run with other players who don't want to/can't run on elite. It's not that hard to get the streak back, especially at lower levels.

But yeah, when you PUG you have to take into consideration the group. And there have been a lot of wipes while pugging Spinner, the various Reaver's Refuge quests, RWtD, etc. Sometimes, it's just smarter to drop the streak and get a completion and most of the xp rather than waste an hour (or two) trying in vain to complete one of these quests with a PUG of random people.

The unfortunate part is that so many people in PUGs feel like elite is the only difficulty option, even when it's pretty clearly going ti be impossible with the current group. It's like a macho thing, or a "I need to fit in with the uber" mentality. It's extremely frustrating, as it's generally pretty easy for me to determine if a PUG can complete some of the more difficult quests on elite.

But yeah, it's much more likely to drop the elite streak after vale. Before Vale it's generally not even a concern.

My opinion is that it's rarely worth it to keep an elite streak if doing so means sitting around and not playing.

If there are two or more LFM's up for a quest I want to run, and one is on elite (which will maintain my streak) and the other is not, I'll hit the elite group.

If there aren't any LFM's in my level range I'll start one and run whatever the group wants to run, though I'll usually post it as Elite. Or I'll join any group that's ready to go regardless of what difficulty they are doing.

It just doesn't take that much to rebuild a streak, and I vastly prefer playing to sitting around and waiting.
    All on Thelanis: Archenpaul Sixblade, Archernicus Thornwood, Gregorovic Redcloak, Hermanius Brightblade, Jaklomeo Evermug, Jonathraxius Kane, and Praetoreus Silvershield.

Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Quote Originally Posted by mobrien316 View Post
    My opinion is that it's rarely worth it to keep an elite streak if doing so means sitting around and not playing.

These are very true words here...

My personal opinion is that anything beyond the #5 is actually fluff. Dropping the streak should never be a deterrent to having fun. There are usually enough quests to regain the streak later on.

Don't get me wrong the challenge of running a quest on Elite is still there, and you will still have access to the First Time Difficulty XP for a later run.

If you mostly solo and PUG as I do, dropping elite streak happens somewhere around finishing Gianthold. I just can't solo the lvl 15's and above on elite, but I can fly through them on normal or even hard two or three times in the time it takes to get a PUG together.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Laeelin View Post
    On my casters I generally keep Elite Streak going through Vale, then drop it down to Hard if no one in my channel happens to be at the point to run Acute Delirium and The Lord of Eyes with me on Elite. And after getting through that I go back to Elite for most stuff.

Melee are not nearly as easy to solo in a time efficient manner on Elite, so most melee builds I drop to Hard after Gianthold. I find that the time saved clearing trash as a melee just doesn't justify the increased XP from Elite Streaks.
    Last edited by ForumAccess; 07-04-2013 at 03:31 PM.

Community Member

Lightbulb

For me, never break it. There have been a hanful of times I had an over leveled toon/panther in first time so I can farm on hard/elite, but that's it. When I hit 20, it's EDA or challenges for tokens. I might do a handful of EE's but that is it.