Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can a dev just break down the difference sbetween the two types of box stones?

Seriously, all these questions concerning these boxes can be prevented if someone just made a detailed post explaining the differences between them.

For crying out loud, what kind of company is this. For that many TP, I expect to know exactly what I'm buying and what the differences are. I want to know if sources of extra experience stack with the new stone, does it continue with the old one. Are both the stones changes from 7-15, or is it just the new one. Are there any bugs associated with the new stone as a result of coding the new one.
    Cetus Heroic Lives: #32/32 | Epic Completionist: #20/24 | Iconic Lives: #6/6
    Cetusz - Pure Sorcerer: Heroic Lives: #24/24 | Epic Lives: #6/12 | Iconic Lives: #1/3
    YouTube Channel HERE
    Argonnessen's DEGENERATE MATTER

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

Quote Originally Posted by Cetus View Post
    Seriously, all these questions concerning these boxes can be prevented if someone just made a detailed post explaining the differences between them.

For crying out loud, what kind of company is this. For that many TP, I expect to know exactly what I'm buying and what the differences are. I want to know if sources of extra experience stack with the new stone, does it continue with the old one. Are both the stones changes from 7-15, or is it just the new one. Are there any bugs associated with the new stone as a result of coding the new one.
    Or people could actually learn how to read.
    Damn, its so hard to read and compare by yourself...

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Bonus sources of XP do not stack with the Stone of Experience provided in the Bigby's Handy Box.
    This information was provided after the Bigby boxes were announced, and the information was not included in the announcement (although I recall the Otto's Boxes being silent on the issue as well).

Quote Originally Posted by Vellrad View Post
    Or people could actually learn how to read.
    Damn, its so hard to read and compare by yourself...
    I think I know how to read, otherwise I wouldn't be able to respond to you or make this post in the first place. Smartass comments get us nowhere.
    Cetusz - Pure Sorcerer: Heroic Lives: #24/24 | Epic Lives: #6/12 | Iconic Lives: #1/3
    YouTube Channel HERE

Quote Originally Posted by Ravand View Post
    This information was provided after the Bigby boxes were announced, and the information was not included in the announcement (although I recall the Otto's Boxes being silent on the issue as well).
    Heh, the fact that this point wasn't introduced before someone inquired kinda irked me. This is a very important point, and I'm assuming that this applies only to the bigby box, since the dev post specified. But, I hope there aren't any bugs on behalf of the otto's box as a result.

If a dev can log onto their live account and try it out to make sure, that would be nice. Nobody should take the hit to find out there's a bug.

Sorry, but with turbine's coding as of late, I assume that there will be bugs unless otherwise confirmed.
    YouTube Channel HERE

Not a dev, but I think I can break down the differences anyway:

Ottos' stone: Minimum level 8 to use. Bestows the xp necessary to reach the next level (up to 16). As you were receiving a sum of xp, boosts applied (I always assumed this was not wai)

Bigbys' stone: Minimum level 7 to use. (I suspect) Resets your xp to the minimum need for the next level (upto 15). As you do not receive a sum of xp, boosts can not apply.

Here's the bonus question: do the Ottos' stones still function as they did, or have they been retro-coded?
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

You dont need a breakdown...

Quote Originally Posted by QuartermasterX View Post
    Agreed... we will have something even nicer than Otto's Box this time around!

Quartermaster said it was even nicer.. so it is..

For comparison's sake...

Otto's Irresistible Box ( Ferarri version)
    1 Stone of Experience - Tradable/can be used on others -
    -Level 8 to 16 -XP bonus applies can level to mid 18 with various bonusses.
    5 Superior Experience Elixirs (6 hour 30%)
    5 Major Slayer Count Boosts (bta)
    5 Huge Jewels of Fortune (bta)
    5 Siberys Spirit Cakes (bta)
    3 Greater Siberys Spirit Cakes (bta)
    A choice of either 65 Astral Shards or a Cyan Gelatinous Cube Creature Companion.

Bigby's Handy Box - (Fiero version)
    1 Stone of Experience
    - Self Only -Level 7 to 15- No XP bonusses apply
    3 Sovereign I XP Elixirs (3 hour 50%)
    3 Siberys Spirit Cakes ( not sure probably bta)
    a choice of cube pet; 100 Gold Seal Elixirs of Superior Healing; 25 Superior SP Pots (not sure probably bta)

Ferarri version will get you there faster, the Fiero version has better fuel efficiency.
    No matter what you do... once you've driven a Ferarri the Fiero will never be good enough.
    Last edited by JOTMON; 07-12-2013 at 07:49 AM.
    Jotmon - Let's not forget why we play these games - to have fun - ~
    Guild: Degenerate Matter - 200 (Former Guilds: ChaosKnights, Big Damn Heroes, Shadowfiends, Order of the Drow, Unusual Suspects, Raided R)
    Argo-Jotmon(Completionist - before the Otto's/XP pots easymode), Jotmonheals(Clr17/Rog2/Mnk1-Epic Completionist), Whatthetruck.. and many many more alts..

Update 24: Champions... "whew, it's ok, it's only a red name" .. sad day when trash spawn Champions and their one-shot ignore fort attacks instill more party fear than the Red named bosses.

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

If you're wanting a dev to discuss an exploit then you're onto a no-win situation.

Suffice to say that so long as the stones work as advertised then you get what you pay for.

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council

Quote Originally Posted by Ravand View Post
    3 hours after when people starting complaining it wasn't bugged.

The post was simply to clarify that it works as advertised.

And while I get that the OP wants to start another thread to discuss these, I don't believe there is anything new to be added to the other threads that have already brought it up and we've each stated our opinions on whether it's fair/unfair/right/wrong etc etc etc.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlock View Post
    If you're wanting a dev to discuss an exploit then you're onto a no-win situation.
    Just curious: Did I miss an announcement that the XP stacking was an Exploit? Or are you secretly a Dev that you know this?

Frankly I don't believe that it can be called an Exploit since Turbine went out of their way to sell the stacking XP stones 2 more times after the stacking was discovered. Certainly exploits have persisted in the game after they were discovered, but they were Hotfixed out ASAP. I have never heard of an exploit in any game where the Developers have the option to not put the exploit in the game and they do anyway. It would be stupid to purposefully reintroduce an exploit to your own game over and over.

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    Just curious: Did I miss an announcement that the XP stacking was an Exploit? Or are you secretly a Dev that you know this?

Frankly I don't believe that it can be called an Exploit since Turbine went out of their way to sell the stacking XP stones 2 more times after the stacking was discovered. Certainly exploits have persisted in the game after they were discovered, but they were Hotfixed out ASAP. I have never heard of an exploit in any game where the Developers have the option to not put the exploit in the game and they do anyway. It would be stupid to purposefully reintroduce an exploit to your own game over and over.
    I can only speak from personal experience of having had a number of posts on the subject moderated to remove any reference to how you can get more XP than advertised. Add to that Turbine's reticence on the whole thing and it's the only conclusion I can see.

As I've said before, you can try and use their failure to address it as implied consent if you like, but to try and argue that as setting a precedent for other XP stones actually being broken because they are WAI, then that is a nonsense.

Founder

I can only speak from personal experience of having had a number of posts on the subject moderated to remove any reference to how you can get more XP than advertised. Add to that Turbine's reticence on the whole thing and it's the only conclusion I can see.

As I've said before, you can try and use their failure to address it as implied consent if you like, but to try and argue that as setting a precedent for other XP stones actually being broken because they are WAI, then that is a nonsense.
    I was simply addressing your assertion that stacking XP stones was an Exploit. Please don't put words in my mouth regarding the current stone being "broken".

However, since we are on the topic of the current XP stones, I don't remember reading anywhere an assertion that they were broken. I have seen people asking. I have seen people complaining about the way they work. I have seen people upset that they wasted their money on the new stones because the old stones worked a certain way and they (logically) assumed the new ones would also work that way.

People who claim that to assume that the new XP stones would stack is not logical don't understand logic.

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council

I was simply addressing your assertion that stacking XP stones was an Exploit. Please don't put words in my mouth regarding the current stone being "broken".

However, since we are on the topic of the current XP stones, I don't remember reading anywhere an assertion that they were broken. I have seen people asking. I have seen people complaining about the way they work. I have seen people upset that they wasted their money on the new stones because the old stones worked a certain way and they (logically) assumed the new ones would also work that way.

People who claim that to assume that the new XP stones would stack is not logical don't understand logic.
    That last line wasn't actually aimed at you, just a general facepalm at the people who are complaining that the new stones are WAI.

This all means nothing imo, if turnbine doesn't say it's not wai. It's wai. The otto's is WAI(sold a shipload of Sovereigns didn't they?). The NotsoBigbys is WAI. End of story.

All that is happening here is they are changing things on the fly because the number crunchers are re-arranging things so they possibly might come out with a more advanced stone from level 16 on. I'm pretty sure if otto's ever comes back it will be changed to be WAI, which is however they feel it should work at the time.

They have the power in the terms of service to change whatever they want when they want it. Is it fair sometimes? No...but they will have to live with the consequences of those changes this is how they operate and plow forward.

Cheers

...I have never heard of an exploit in any game where the Developers have the option to not put the exploit in the game and they do anyway. It would be stupid to purposefully reintroduce an exploit to your own game over and over.
    It's been done multiple times, sad to say...

Founder

That last line wasn't actually aimed at you, just a general facepalm at the people who are complaining that the new stones are WAI.
    Well then, facepalm back at anyone claiming that people are "complaining that the new stones are WAI". I haven't seen a single person saying "boy, I hate it that these new XP stones are working exactly the way Turbine wants them to work." Introducing this type of argumentative fallacy doesn't help your credibility at all.

People are complaining because they formerly received more for their TP and now they are receiving less. This is a valid complaint and even moreso if it is true that Turbine is doing this intentionally.

If a vendor is selling a bag of popcorn advertised as 10oz, but regularly overfills the bag, customers might like this and start buying more bags. If in the future the vendor decides to start only putting the advertised 10oz in the bag the vendor might be well within his rights to do so. But if the bag is opaque and a returning customer purchases the bag thinking (logically) that it will be the same as the other times he purchased the bag, that customer is also entitled to be upset. If that customer asks for a refund because the product is not as he expected, he should receive it. It is taking advantage of your customers to purposefully lead them to believe they will be receiving something and then not deliver AND not give refunds.

Shears. It was well known what the situation was, and they PUT THEM ON SALE FIRST, sold a ton, with the knowledge of why people were buying them, then AFTER the sale, they took them out of the store.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council

Introducing this type of argumentative fallacy doesn't help your credibility at all.
    I have no issue with my credibility, but thanks for your concern.

Nice popcorn analogy btw, I'm sure you've won hearts and minds with it.

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council

Wow, nice comeback. An Ad Hominem attack was the best you could do, huh?
    Nothing personal in it at all. I just don't think your analogy is relevant. Would you rather I attacked your credibility or accused you of putting words in my mouth?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast