Default maybe they can make more types of stone :D

1 lv 1 -5, that way we can all put on our lv 5 gear
    1 lv 5-11 that way we can all put on our 11 gear
    1 lv 12-16 " "16 gear
    1 lv 16-18 " "18 gear
    1 lv 18-20 " "20 gear
    1 lv 20-23" "23 gear
    1 lv 23-25" "25 gear

then a stone to do the work of getting a heart of wood and making our toon for us

or just sell a past life

Community Member

My biggest issue with these stones is NOT the reduced lvl. That would still be fine with me, at least they are cheaper, BUT that you cant get bonus xp applied on them is a real pageturner.
    And i can now confirm that at least one person used the stone and didnt even reach lvl 15, but lvl 14. so a whole lvl is missing.

Seems like Bigbx's Bugs should be taken down and fixed before any more faulty items are released.
    Thelanis: Errtu-1, Cherubael, Nararian, Seyria, Yarrrkk, Apothecarius, Tarcus-1, Kheradruakh, Evesor, Experimentum

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by UurlockYgmeov View Post
    Thank you Cordovan for quick and informative answers!
    I really think Turbine has been exemplary about communicating directly with the community recently and I think it is great that it is not just me noticing, I really hope that this trend continues and it does not have an adverse effect on morale.

I know how hard it is to make a change like this but it is nice to know that Turbine will make a decision to expand the playerbase and not just the bottom line. I take back everything I ever said about bean-counters controlling everything! LOL

Let me give an example of ANOTHER company that did it wrong! Turbine is starting to come around, unlike Sony and MTG:Tactics! Here is a sad story about MTG:Tactics and poor playerbase communication:

[The original MTG:Tactics tree system was deeper but there were abilities in certain trees that were completely unbalancing, and THAT game had a tournament element to it where you could win cards. Unfortunately, the people who played in the tournaments were also the ones spending the most with Sony. So, it seems the bean counters at Sony made the decisions on what to do and it completely destroyed the game. The lack of communication happened shortly after Sony simplified the talent tree system to contain only 8 talents per color and very little diversity!

Sony rolled out new forums in March '13, and people asked about the primary POC (point-of-contact) for the game as we had not heard from developers since OCT '12 and the only response was from the person responsible for the Sony forum roll-out, not anything to do with the game! Instead of using the new forums to engage the community, it seemed the game had been abandoned!

I understand that acquiring cards was the model and the major cash cow was PvP and since tournaments were tied to a broken talent tree system, they decided to just scrap the talent tree system entirely instead of fix what was broken! So, the whole house of cards fell down, because Sony never communicated if the changes to the talent trees were temporary while they fixed the problems with balance.

The final nail in the coffin for me?? It didn't stop SONY from advertising a Father's Day special in JUN '13 even though after NINE MONTHS we had not received any meaningful developer contact.

Needless to say, Sony will not get any more money from me, once bitten, twice shy.]

Now, I do see similarities that the people at WB and Turbine could take a lesson from:

Company/Game_____________Sony/MTG:Tactics______Turbine/DDO

Wizards of the Coast IP. . . . . . . . . Check!. . . . . . . . . Check!
    F2P. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Check!. . . . . . . . . .Check!
    New Talent Tree System. . . . . . . . Check!. . . . . . . . . .Check!
    Bean Counters Made Decisions. . . . .Check!. . . . . . . . . .Up until now, I would say, "YES!"
    Negatively-Affected Diversity. . . . . Check!. . . . . . . . . .Changes increased diversity!!
    New Forum Roll-out. . . . . . . . . . . .Check!. . . . . . . . . .Check!
    Community-Building Opportunity. . . .Wasted!. . . . . . . . .Turbine is taking advantage of it!
    Decision Benefited Big Spenders. . . .Check!. . . . . . . . . .Decision grows player-base
    Developers stopped posting. . . . . . Check!. . . . . . . . . . NEW commitment to communication!
    Destroyed Goodwill of Community. . .Check!. . . . . . . . . .A New Producer is the right step!
    Product Development Ended. . . . . . Check!. . . . . . . . . .Development is above expectations!

Do you see why I might be a little nervous since situations are similar?? lol

When we stop getting communication from devs and start hearing from bean-counters, it creates a huge rift in the community though! When that happens, it feels like we are talking to a new face with the same agenda, please do not let that happen to DDO and I will continue to spend my money here!
    Last edited by Panserbjorne; 07-04-2013 at 12:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Bonus sources of XP do not stack with the Stone of Experience provided in the Bigby's Handy Box.

Was thinking of buying a couple thanks for saving me some money

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Community Member

Perhaps the Otto's box could cover a DIFFERENT part of the level range than the Bigby's box covers?

Bigby's box to go from 7-15, and Otto's to go from 15-20.

Level 15 to Level 20 is currently 850,000 XP for a first-lifer. The Otto's box currently gives 930,000 xp on a first-life character but the amount of XP needed to get to 20 is going to increase. So, the amount for a second and third life is going to increase even more. At least this way, any extra experience from XP stones could be split between Epic Levels and EDs evenly.

More importantly, if they make the Otto's box grant a very similar amount of experience as it used to, but slightly more, no one will feel like it is a huge nerf. Both stones of experience could coexist and when used together could put you right back into Epic content!

Also, a bundled pricing for both stones of experience in a single box might make the total TP cost cheaper than buying XP pots to level from 15-20 when all things are considered. The Bigby's Stone would truly be "Handy", in leveling quicker, but Otto's stones would still be "Irresistible" for those that want nothing more than to get straight back to Epic questing.
    Last edited by Panserbjorne; 07-04-2013 at 01:05 AM.

Community Member

From this threat alone id say this box is a solid loss. People planned on spending several hundred bucks, but they wont. Words fly fast, and this here is just a small percentage of players.
    Thelanis: Errtu-1, Cherubael, Nararian, Seyria, Yarrrkk, Apothecarius, Tarcus-1, Kheradruakh, Evesor, Experimentum

Community Member

Im normally very pro DDO/ Turbine .

However in this instance I am not.

I wanted a few of these so I could get some FvS lives on my Wizard but I dont think I'll bother now.
    Corazonroto
    Soultrax
    Mantrax
    The Spellswords - Ghallanda

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

I was considering buying one, as I've a few lowbies that could have been able to use one...

But just to 15 ? No reason to buy one, it's the after 16 that was great with the Stones.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Bought a box and a pot prior to reading the forums and was disappointed not to reach a higher level. Would have appreciated a warning on the box. Not the end of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    I cant imagine they wouldn't, if they ever release another Otto's Box. The Stone was never meant to take you all the way to 20 by stacking up a bajillion XP bonuses. It was supposed to get you to 16, so you can focus on endgame content and skip the midgame grind. It wasn't supposed to be an "instant TR in a box"
    Lol.

Cause skipping 2,4 millions xp wasn't an instant TR?
    Cannith: Hazrael--Nyal--Thalax

Community Member

Bonus sources of XP do not stack with the Stone of Experience provided in the Bigby's Handy Box.
    Well i agree with the others here that's a no go for me, i bought the Otto boxes explicity so that on TR's i could skip nearly all the heroic stuff if I so chose to.
    I hope the Otto stones stay the way they are, since i got 2 left over, otherwise i'd be pretty upset.
    Did you ever think about selling something like 4-20 stones ?

Ohh thanks for being forward I wont be buying the Bigby's Handy Box then. Will the Otto's still be released in the future and continue to stack with outside sources?

Unhappy

Thanks for being honest before I bought one. However, I agree with most post and will not be buying Bigby's Handy Box. I used a Otto's box with voice and 50% pot on my last life and it was nice to get over that hump of having to grinding out XP. I TR'ed one of my toons. I really don't like running that class so I been waiting for another Otto's box. So I can TR him again. I guess that toon will keep sitting on the shelf. Very disappointed.
    Last edited by punisher032; 07-04-2013 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Panserbjorne View Post
    Perhaps the Otto's box could cover a DIFFERENT part of the level range than the Bigby's box covers?

Bigby's box to go from 7-15, and Otto's to go from 15-20.
    so pay to play 6 levels of heroic? I could see completionist accomplished in a week. wouldn't put it past Turbine to do something like that if they knew it would make them a profit, but it would make more sense to combine the 2 boxes and call it Past Life in a Box. I think we already have enough ways to pay to not play.

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    so pay to play 6 levels of heroic? I could see completionist accomplished in a week. wouldn't put it past Turbine to do something like that if they knew it would make them a profit, but it would make more sense to combine the 2 boxes and call it Past Life in a Box. I think we already have enough ways to pay to not play.
    Some of our uber completionists have admitted to using ottos boxes allready. Besides its a good idea selling good stuff in the turbine store rather than mostly junk. Look at the neverwinter store, thèy sell epic gear there! The game store made several million dollars just in its beta, the Devs should think about that and add shroud large ingredients etc. to the store.

Time is money, some of us with higher paying jobs our time is more valuable. I play DDO for fun and endgame. To someone else a 40hr TR grind is fun and not a serious loss in revenue. For me that's a several thousand dollar loss in revenue, so YES I would rather pay 50 bucks to avoid that.

P.S. irregardless to my disappointment i do want to say a big thank you to the Dev who responded. The Devs are starting to talk more to the community (hope the trend continues) and the community is starting to perk up as a result!
    Last edited by Delacroix21; 07-04-2013 at 10:34 AM.
    Making DDO a better game 1 post at a time!

Triple EVERYTHING Completionist= Heroic 39/39, Iconic 12/12, Epic 36/36

Community Member

I didn't realize until all the complaining that people were using these things to get to not level 16 but level 19. Frankly, I'm glad they changed it. The item is intended to take you to a specific level, not one 3 above it.

Of course, I hate that they sell these things in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Delacroix21 View Post
    Some of our uber completionists have admitted to using ottos boxes allready. Besides its a good idea selling good stuff in the turbine store rather than mostly junk. Look at the neverwinter store, thèy sell epic gear there! The game store made several million dollars just in its beta, the Devs should think about that and add shroud large ingredients etc. to the store.

Time is money, some of us with higher paying jobs our time is more valuable. I play DDO for fun and endgame. To someone else a 40hr TR grind is fun and not a serious loss in revenue. For me that's a several thousand dollar loss in revenue, so YES I would rather pay 50 bucks to avoid that.

P.S. irregardless to my disappointment i do want to say a big thank you to the Dev who responded. The Devs are starting to talk more to the community (hope the trend continues) and the community is starting to perk up as a result!
    I don't know about NWO, but I know in DDO its not set up to support the boredom that would happen when you can get PLs in such a short time. theres just not enough end game to do that. the way its been for a long time now is short gain. we have already seen an increase in boredom threads since Ottos was released. couple that with the P2WAH and pay for your ubers lootz and boredom is sped up. bad enough the lfm is pretty sad looking with pugging only as high as EH and very little EE. those who don't really do much endgame, its their money but confused why they would spend to hurry up and level when heroic levels haven't grown much either. the power gamers have always done whatever they can do to speed things up and the only real affect they have on the general population is when they are done with leveling and just running raids.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    Well, it isn't any different that what was already occurring, if you think about it. People were purchasing the Otto's Boxes and leveling to 19ish anyway, this would just require them to purchase another box to achieve the same amount of progress.

You make it seem like having two of them would be an additional way to pay not to play. They were already achieving this by simply using an XP pot, this makes it more difficult by increasing the number of TP points it will take to accomplish the same thing.

If you are against the ease with which people are doing it, then you should be in favor of my idea, because this makes it more expensive which would tend to curtail it a little bit, while not eliminating the revenue stream, in fact, it would broaden the revenue stream overall.

So, I am a little confused that you sound opposed to it. Isn't increasing the TP cost to nearly 9000 TP for the same amount of progress significant enough to discourage it?? I don't think the cost it too high, but a 11% discount for buying both would put the cost @ 7995 TP. Either way, it is about keeping everyone happy and giving more options.

IDK if you noticed but I suggested combining both the stones in one box, but rather than a derogatory name like "Past Life" in a box, perhaps they could be called Circle of Eight boxes or a "Greyhawk Wizard's Box Pack". That way, they could add an additional box that might have another effect entirely with different bonus items based on content.

I suggested a Mordenkainen's Box might also fill a niche in another thread:
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...63#post5034763

In addition, the additional XP that people are given for XP pots, if they choose to allow it to still apply could be split between Epic levels and ED experience, if Turbine chooses to continue to allow XP pots to stack with Otto's boxes.

I would predict that the total amount of people purchasing boxes, in general, go up, but people that are willing to purchase BOTH boxes go down, in my estimation, that is good for the community as a whole.
    Last edited by Panserbjorne; 07-04-2013 at 04:51 PM.

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Well that's really unfortunate. First, thank you for answering a direct question so quickly.

However, since I don't frequent the boards like I used (great change btw) I didn't know this until after I had purchased one. Right now, I am feeling inbetween Bait and Switch and Buyer's Remorse. Yes, it was an impulse buy, and correct I could've researched this thread. But, to be fair you should have changed the name of the stone of xp or put a warning on it available to be viewed before purchase.

The item was a Stone of Experience, same name as previous versions. If you were going to change the way it worked one of the above would have been a more honest way to do business. Not doing that was a bit shady on your part (Turbine) and expect me to be especially wary of anything you peddel now.

/dissatisfied customer.
    Git off mah lawn!

If, If's and But's was Candies and Nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by punisher032 View Post
    Thanks for being honest before I bought one. However, I agree with most post and will not be buying Bigby's Handy Box. I used a Otto's box with voice and 50% pot on my last life and it was nice to get over that hump of having to grinding out XP. I TR'ed one of my toons. I really don't like running that class so I been waiting for another Otto's box. So I can TR him again. I guess that toon will keep sitting on the shelf. Very disappointed.
    You're paying to not play the game. Maybe it's time to find a game you enjoy more.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast