Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 69
  1. #41
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rest View Post
    If it was +50%, it MIGHT be worth it. If I want 10% more XP, I just won't group with newbies and get a death penalty. Which is exactly the opposite of what you want people to do, innit?
    This was exactly my thought as well. Right direction, but 10% is too small a motivator to get people to move to a dying server.

  2. #42
    Community Member MartinusWyllt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Citzen_Gkar View Post
    This was exactly my thought as well. Right direction, but 10% is too small a motivator to get people to move to a dying server.
    10% plus a one-time free character copy might tempt me to at least show-up and check it out.

  3. #43
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,923

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rest View Post
    If it was +50%, it MIGHT be worth it. If I want 10% more XP, I just won't group with newbies and get a death penalty. Which is exactly the opposite of what you want people to do, innit?
    Seems to be a success then. Provides bonus xp to those who want to experience a new server while keeping the undesirables away.

  4. #44
    Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,355

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eris2323 View Post
    Gee. Thanks. I guess the rest of your paying customers who have put hundreds into this game don't deserve that, huh?
    I think this is a good idea. It partially make up for the fact that those players have to play on Wayfinder.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

  5. #45
    Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    588

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arkonas View Post
    failed statement right here. This was to encourage new people and anyone who wants to play on the server. so therefor you're just an elitist by that comment. congrats.
    You're quoting Rest, an admitted and unabashed "elitist" who likes to brag about how seriously he takes the game and how restrictive, judmental and expectant of other people he is in his LFM's I.e. the last type of person you want mixing with new players, and all this is pretty much by his own admission, so don't think I'm trying to troll him or something.

  6. #46
    Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    588

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eris2323 View Post
    That is so incredibly unfair to the rest of us.
    Imagine that, I had to tell my 6 year old that life is not fair (not for the first time for sure) just before I sit down to check the forums and do the same thing for someone here.

    I agree the other servers have population problems, and I'm even pretty annoyed that Turbine is doing nothing about it. But the low hanging fruit is not yet merging servers. It's making the LFM system more inclusive by widening the level ranges, modifying BB so that a 3 level range is not the default on 99% of every group you see, and making impediments like flagging and quest meta knowledge less impactful.

    Here's an idea pick up stakes and EVERYONE play on Wayfinder, be nice to new players (or at least keep any anti-social "look I'm anonymous on the internet and no one can pop me in the nose" jerkiness you are prone to to yourself), laugh off -10% death XP penalties (because 99.9% of the player base dies on some sort of semi-regular basis or so, and the other 0.01% is full of it). Start DDO fresh on a new server and make it the most grown up server in the game.

  7. #47
    Community Member Tscheuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5,981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironclans_evil_twin View Post
    Imagine that, I had to tell my 6 year old that life is not fair (not for the first time for sure) just before I sit down to check the forums and do the same thing for someone here.

    I agree the other servers have population problems, and I'm even pretty annoyed that Turbine is doing nothing about it. But the low hanging fruit is not yet merging servers. It's making the LFM system more inclusive by widening the level ranges, modifying BB so that a 3 level range is not the default on 99% of every group you see, and making impediments like flagging and quest meta knowledge less impactful.

    Here's an idea pick up stakes and EVERYONE play on Wayfinder, be nice to new players (or at least keep any anti-social "look I'm anonymous on the internet and no one can pop me in the nose" jerkiness you are prone to to yourself), laugh off -10% death XP penalties (because 99.9% of the player base dies on some sort of semi-regular basis or so, and the other 0.01% is full of it). Start DDO fresh on a new server and make it the most grown up server in the game.
    Very nicely said. *\o/*
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

    Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

  8. #48
    Community Member eris2323's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    2,369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironclans_evil_twin View Post
    Imagine that, I had to tell my 6 year old that life is not fair (not for the first time for sure) just before I sit down to check the forums and do the same thing for someone here.

    I agree the other servers have population problems, and I'm even pretty annoyed that Turbine is doing nothing about it. But the low hanging fruit is not yet merging servers. It's making the LFM system more inclusive by widening the level ranges, modifying BB so that a 3 level range is not the default on 99% of every group you see, and making impediments like flagging and quest meta knowledge less impactful.

    Here's an idea pick up stakes and EVERYONE play on Wayfinder, be nice to new players (or at least keep any anti-social "look I'm anonymous on the internet and no one can pop me in the nose" jerkiness you are prone to to yourself), laugh off -10% death XP penalties (because 99.9% of the player base dies on some sort of semi-regular basis or so, and the other 0.01% is full of it). Start DDO fresh on a new server and make it the most grown up server in the game.
    I have no interest in paying money to transfer characters to a dead server that should be merged with a more lively server, instead of harming the rest of the population of servers by offering incentives such as extra experience to certain servers. I sincerely hope they removed the dead server as the default server for all new players; why any company would send all of their new customers to a dead server is just.... well, something that turbine does; I guess, and totally beyond me.

    Don't much care what you have to tell your 6 year old.

  9. #49
    Community Member Tscheuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5,981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eris2323 View Post
    I have no interest in paying money to transfer characters to a dead server that should be merged with a more lively server, instead of harming the rest of the population of servers by offering incentives such as extra experience to certain servers. I sincerely hope they removed the dead server as the default server for all new players; why any company would send all of their new customers to a dead server is just.... well, something that turbine does; I guess, and totally beyond me.

    Don't much care what you have to tell your 6 year old.
    Haven't found this 'dead server' you keep carrying on about. I have found some lag-heavy servers that could benefit from exporting some of their players, though.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

    Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

  10. #50

    Default

    I think it's gonna be funny when all the new Wayfinder players come rushing to the forums when they notice they're no longer getting the XP they used to after year's end.

  11. #51
    Founder Hambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sacramento, Ca.
    Posts
    3,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SisAmethyst View Post
    I think it is a great move, and I say this with Wayfinder not being my main server! The 10% is neither game breaking nor overpowered and really don't call for an outcry of unfairness. As rest said, on other servers one probably just won't group with others and get a death penalty.
    Funny thing... The XP bonus has absolutely zero effect on anyone NOT on Wayfinder. The only possible disadvantage is someone playing on Wayfinder, then assuming character transfer is working by then paying what? $20 to move that character to a more populated server?

    I will start playing the one Alt I have there in hopes of getting in with a good guild and grouping up again after 3 years.
    Carpe D.M.! (Sieze the Dungeon Master!)
    Founder #2003 - Interocitor Repair - Call for discount prices

  12. #52
    Community Member FranOhmsford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Posts
    16,492

    Default

    -SERVER MERGE AND RENAMING CHARACTERS

    Merge Wayfinder with either Cannith OR Orien and you'll STILL have a server with a SMALLER Population than either Khyber OR Thelanis - If you go by the last pop. stats we have available {DDOracle before MyDDO was trashed by Turbine}.

    Allow ALL Wayfinder Characters to KEEP their names BUT stick an "Of Wayfinder" on the end to distinguish them from same-named characters on the chosen server.

    Considering Cannith's Known large European Population - incl a High Lvl German guild of some repute - this would be the Perfect fit for a merger with Wayfinder in my opinion!


    -CHARACTER TRANSFERS TO {And From} WAYFINDER

    I've personally paid for a number of Character transfers between servers!
    At one point I had MULTIPLE Characters on EVERY Server {incl Wayfinder!}.

    I now have 27 on Cannith, 10 on Sarlona, 4 on Khyber, 2 on Wayfinder and 1 on Thelanis.
    I have vacated Argo, G-Land and Orien.

    I have been waiting since the Character Transfer system was made unavailable to move my last remaining character on Thelanis to Sarlona.
    HOWEVER I would happily transfer said character to Wayfinder if a FREE Transfer was made available.

    The one thing I've always disliked about Wayfinder however is the lack of a Character Transfer OFF said Server!
    If that had been made available I'd have transferred my ONE {At the time} character on Wayfinder to Khyber without delay!

    Basically:
    If A FREE TRANSFER TO Wayfinder was made available - I would vacate Thelanis and just maintain my presence on 4 servers {Cannith, Sarlona, Khyber and Wayfinder}!
    IF A FREE TRANSFER FROM Wayfinder was made available however - I would vacate BOTH Wayfinder and Thelanis {Paying for the Transfer from Thelanis to Sarlona AND using the FREE Transfer from Wayfinder to Khyber - My newer character on Wayfinder would be deleted and remade elsewhere}.

    So:
    For me...This is a question of which would I prefer:
    Maintaining a Presence on 5, 4 OR 3 Servers?
    I think you all know the answer to that question.


    Just to be exact:
    I am FOR the Merging of Wayfinder with Cannith {My First and Main Home in DDO as well as being the least populated of the main Servers}
    BUT I will take ONE FREE TRANSFER PER ACCOUNT to WAYFINDER as an acceptable second choice
    AND if that's seen as being too much for Turbine then the FINAL Option would be to allow players FREE Transfers OFF Wayfinder for a Limited Period - I suggest January 1st to 31st 2014 {i.e. AFTER the Current Bonuses the Devs are trying are proved to have NOT WORKED!}.
    Last edited by FranOhmsford; 07-04-2013 at 04:04 PM.

  13. #53
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    458

    Default

    i would have placed a, 20%xp +2loot, double chance to get named

    and also gave on every created character on every server a class gift box, based on their lvl 1 class
    this box would have inside a ml3 gift box, 100 cure light wound potions and an item based on the class...
    paladin,ranger,bard,cleric,fvs... could get a ml1 wand of cure light wounds...

    the ml3 box could have 100 cure moderate wound potions and 50 curse removal potions and a wand of cure moderate wounds if paladin,ranger,cleric,bard,fvs

    etc... :P

    up to ml7

  14. #54
    Community Member Tscheuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5,981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    -SERVER MERGE AND RENAMING CHARACTERS

    Merge Wayfinder with either Cannith OR Orien and you'll STILL have a server with a SMALLER Population than either Khyber OR Thelanis - If you go by the last pop. stats we have available {DDOracle before MyDDO was trashed by Turbine}.

    Allow ALL Wayfinder Characters to KEEP their names BUT stick an "Of Wayfinder" on the end to distinguish them from same-named characters on the chosen server.

    Considering Cannith's Known large European Population - incl a High Lvl German guild of some repute - this would be the Perfect fit for a merger with Wayfinder in my opinion!


    -CHARACTER TRANSFERS TO {And From} WAYFINDER

    I've personally paid for a number of Character transfers between servers!
    At one point I had MULTIPLE Characters on EVERY Server {incl Wayfinder!}.

    I now have 27 on Cannith, 10 on Sarlona, 4 on Khyber, 2 on Wayfinder and 1 on Thelanis.
    I have vacated Argo, G-Land and Orien.

    I have been waiting since the Character Transfer system was made unavailable to move my last remaining character on Thelanis to Sarlona.
    HOWEVER I would happily transfer said character to Wayfinder if a FREE Transfer was made available.

    The one thing I've always disliked about Wayfinder however is the lack of a Character Transfer OFF said Server!
    If that had been made available I'd have transferred my ONE {At the time} character on Wayfinder to Khyber without delay!

    Basically:
    If A FREE TRANSFER TO Wayfinder was made available - I would vacate Thelanis and just maintain my presence on 4 servers {Cannith, Sarlona, Khyber and Wayfinder}!
    IF A FREE TRANSFER FROM Wayfinder was made available however - I would vacate BOTH Wayfinder and Thelanis {Paying for the Transfer from Thelanis to Sarlona AND using the FREE Transfer from Wayfinder to Khyber - My newer character on Wayfinder would be deleted and remade elsewhere}.

    So:
    For me...This is a question of which would I prefer:
    Maintaining a Presence on 5, 4 OR 3 Servers?
    I think you all know the answer to that question.


    Just to be exact:
    I am FOR the Merging of Wayfinder with Cannith {My First and Main Home in DDO as well as being the least populated of the main Servers}
    BUT I will take ONE FREE TRANSFER PER ACCOUNT to WAYFINDER as an acceptable second choice
    AND if that's seen as being too much for Turbine then the FINAL Option would be to allow players FREE Transfers OFF Wayfinder for a Limited Period - I suggest January 1st to 31st 2014 {i.e. AFTER the Current Bonuses the Devs are trying are proved to have NOT WORKED!}.
    Wayfinder is not dead. Wayfinder is not dying. Wayfinder is not a collection of refugees to be forced off their home onto another server.

    Play Wayfinder or not, as you will. Those who call for the death of Wayfinder do NOT speak for Wayfinder.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

    Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

  15. #55
    Community Member Singular's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,996

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironclans_evil_twin View Post
    Imagine that, I had to tell my 6 year old that life is not fair (not for the first time for sure) just before I sit down to check the forums and do the same thing for someone here.

    I agree the other servers have population problems, and I'm even pretty annoyed that Turbine is doing nothing about it. But the low hanging fruit is not yet merging servers. It's making the LFM system more inclusive by widening the level ranges, modifying BB so that a 3 level range is not the default on 99% of every group you see, and making impediments like flagging and quest meta knowledge less impactful.

    Here's an idea pick up stakes and EVERYONE play on Wayfinder, be nice to new players (or at least keep any anti-social "look I'm anonymous on the internet and no one can pop me in the nose" jerkiness you are prone to to yourself), laugh off -10% death XP penalties (because 99.9% of the player base dies on some sort of semi-regular basis or so, and the other 0.01% is full of it). Start DDO fresh on a new server and make it the most grown up server in the game.
    Sorry, I disagree with you. I don't want to group with people 4 or more levels below me. I'd have to carry them through whatever quest I was in, and that would take more time. I'd much rather quest with people my own level.

    I guess, though, that if Turbine opens up the lfm I can simply choose to restrict it myself. That would allow guildies to power level lower guildies, or power level their dual-boxed accounts. So, I suppose if that's what you're after, by all means, good luck.

  16. #56
    Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    588

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Singular View Post
    Sorry, I disagree with you. I don't want to group with people 4 or more levels below me. I'd have to carry them through whatever quest I was in, and that would take more time. I'd much rather quest with people my own level.

    I guess, though, that if Turbine opens up the lfm I can simply choose to restrict it myself. That would allow guildies to power level lower guildies, or power level their dual-boxed accounts. So, I suppose if that's what you're after, by all means, good luck.
    Wow what a ridiculous and defensive implication. I often wonder how many people who "dont want to carry" or who put "selective" or "know it" in their LFM's actually do so because they aren't secure enough in their abilities to risk having a lower level player or someone who doesn't know the quest.

    The norm before bravery bonus was a 4 level range and we did just fine, Sure their was the occasional insecure type that would start over level and restrict the range to two levels. Kinda of a pathetic way to play a game if you ask me.

  17. #57
    Community Member Tscheuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5,981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironclans_evil_twin View Post
    Wow what a ridiculous and defensive implication. I often wonder how many people who "dont want to carry" or who put "selective" or "know it" in their LFM's actually do so because they aren't secure enough in their abilities to risk having a lower level player or someone who doesn't know the quest.

    The norm before bravery bonus was a 4 level range and we did just fine, Sure their was the occasional insecure type that would start over level and restrict the range to two levels. Kinda of a pathetic way to play a game if you ask me.
    One of the best things about DDO is its flexibility with play styles. Some people want to run it as a FPS, others as co-operative RP, and still others at various points in between, and they can all do this in the same game - DDO. For whatever reasons people have to play the way they do, they have the ability to do so in this game. Usually I am more interested in the play and the socializing than the xp, but there are times I just want to level without anyone else relying on me.

    If one were to roll a new toon on Wayfinder, they would be able to run with new players at their level, or with 2 or 3 or 4 level spread. However they wish to play. Not everyone is cut out to be a mentor, so maybe we should just let them stay out of the Welcome Committee.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

    Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

  18. #58
    Community Member jellyfish21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    SW Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    511

    Default Something good happened

    I created a bard, bought a box and leveled him up to 15 right away. The first thing I did was win in the weekly gold dice: a flawless red dragon scale. That's right folks, a flawless red dragon scale. Then, I advertise to join a guild, which a real nice crew accepted me into. Then, I go to my first quest: Cabal for One. My end reward: 1000 guild renown was my first end reward on the server. Then, joining a party, we did Mired in Kobalds, defeating the mother black dragon, which defeating a black dragon on my first day on the server was really cool.

  19. #59
    Community Member Ykt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    July 2009
    Posts
    1,160

    Default

    I laughed when I saw this in the launcher news.

    Just get rid of your failed experiment, stop trying to Raise the Dead server.

  20. #60
    Community Member Fedora1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,659

    Default

    I doubt too many new people are going to quit due to an under-populated server. If they start on Wayfinder and see that it is hard to find a group, most are savvy enough in this day and age to know that they can try another server, ask if other servers have larger populations, or whatever.

    To me a server that lags out due to over-crowding or has plenty of LFM's up but with "BYOH", "Know-it", or otherwise non-newbie friendly messages are much worse. There is a good middle-of-the-road somewhere and the 10% xp bonus might be enough to get Wayfinder closer to the middle.

    My mains are on G-land, but for about 3-4 months that server had a habit of crashing a couple of times every weekend (Friday or Saturday) and I was very tempted to start over somewhere else. I currently have toons on Orien and Argon as well (Argon was my main server when I first started before taking a 2 year leave of absence) though I only log in to make the daily rolls. I have a static group on Thelanis I play on Sundays.

    If there was a free transfer service I would be tempted to vacate either Orien or Argon and move to Wayfinder. I'd like to revisit some of my original toons and start playing them again.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload