Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Ravenguard Press

Smile Quest & Raid Etiquette

I’m doing research on some of the more common things experienced DDO’ers would like for newer players to know about Quest & Raid etiquette. I know there are a lot of actions we all wish people wouldn’t do, but I want to focus on the positive things that they should know; how AND why these things are important, and the bigger picture of how it impacts the success of the quest or raid.

Would love to hear everyone’s positive input on this
    Last edited by MuleAxe; 07-03-2013 at 09:25 AM. Reason: minor readability edits

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````
    MuleAxe~1 | Occidere~1| MuleRaptor | MuleFort | MuleParts

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    The Stormreach Campaign
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

If in doubt, do nothing and ask. Don't be afraid to ask and ignore any jerk who mocks you for asking. Better than keeping your mouth shut, pretending you know a quest, saying nothing and causing untold hell to the party.

Don't pick up a crest or a key, pull a lever, open a door or get ahead of the main party in any quest you are not completely familiar with.

Always carry cure/repair serious wound pots and drink these out of battle to save SP for any healers in your party. Always carry lesser restoration, remove curse and remove disease potions and drink them whenever afflicted.

Keep up with the group.
    If you're new to a quest this can be a bit harrowing if people are running through the quest quickly. Don't run ahead. It's not a bad idea to either stay in the middle of the group or trail behind slightly. Then contribute as you come across fights and such. You don't want to get left behind (which isn't fun for you), take a wrong turn and walk into a trap or group of monsters and die (not fun for anyone). That is really bad etiquette. If you fall behind, communicate this with the group and ask for directions so you know how to catch up. To help stay with the group try to get yourself a good set of striders or use expeditious retreat. For new players at low level, the best thing to do is run the quest "Sacrifices" on Korthos Island, given by the mayor. As an end reward, take "Anger's Step", which are a pair of boots with an expeditious retreat clicky (2 charges for 5 minutes each). For any new characters I make, I always run this quest 2-3 times just so I can get 2-3 sets of these boots.
    The best part of the 10th Anniversary of DDO...the description on the Oatmeal Raisin Kookie,
    "From a distance you thought this was a chocolate chip kookie. Now you're sad."

The advice I would give to any first time Raider -

Gear Recommendations not 100% requirements

First carry with you the ability to cure poison, curse, disease, and minor stat damage potions.

Second carry with you the ability to do some self healing no matter how minor - cure pots can keep you alive just long enough for a heal

Third carry with you the ability to raise dead if you can - You can get access to this through UMD, rare loot, Tier 2 Positive Greensteel weapon/Item or even turning in Planner shards to the twelve.

===============================

Inform the group or at least the party leader that you are new

Follow instructions given and ask questions. Try to ask your questions before and after encounters to minimize group distractions. But don't wait if you feel that not getting the answer to the question in the encounter could be detrimental to success.

Stay with the group - I recommend not following Monks or Barbarians, but to stick close to the Experienced Primary Healing Source. I say this because the Monk and Barbarian will move faster than other members. Most groups won't leave the Primary Healing Source behind.

Most of this is already covered, but I'll repeat as these can be important to making a good impression when new to the game.

Be prepared. Cure blindness, remove disease, remove curse, remove poison, and lesser restoration pots can help keep you going in many situations. Cure serious wounds are a must, as someone already pointed out they might keep you alive until the healer can get to you. Full spell component stacks for casters, as well as some mnemonic pots which can be the difference between contributing and being useless to the party.

Make sure your gear is all repaired before starting the quest/raid. I've had new people who didn't repair after every quest end up with broken gear, especially weapons, in the middle of simple runs because of this issue.

Ask about loot rules before starting the quest. Some groups, or leaders, will tell everyone in advance that a rare item, or all rare items, are up for roll when questing. Other groups/leaders go with the your-loot-is-your-loot perspective, and that's ok too. Just be sure you know in advance rather than make a mistake and pick up something the group/leader wants up for roll. If you need to know how to roll for an item, ask the party.

Stay with the group, and if the group splits stay with the party leader. Simpler to follow the person who invited you, and let them manage the people who run off, than to follow someone who has their own agenda and isn't being a team player. Also, sometimes a group will split and forget you're new, so stay with the leader unless you're told to do something different.

Feel free to break crates and barrels, but be careful not to break exploding barrels up close. Also, when using ranged to break exploding barrels, be sure other party members are far enough away to avoid the explosion. Feel embarrassed to admit this, but before I learned I actually killed the cleric in a group by triggering an explosive barrel while she was too close to avoid the explosion.

Ask questions when you need to, but not in the middle of combat. There are always times while running, or stopping at a shrine, or recovering from combat, when questions can be asked and answered without distracting from the primary purpose of the quest. Decent folks will take time to answer most questions without being sarcastic or otherwise rude to a new player. People who are rude, sarcastic, or make you feel stupid can be avoided in the future.

Above all, have fun! If you're not having fun in a group, decide why and remember the people who aren't fun for you to play with for future times. Then, you can avoid those people, and stay with the people who help you enjoy playing DDO.
    Once upon a time, I was part of a team, and we saved some children. What have you done with your life?

You do not have to be self-sufficient I guess, however.

Have some resources as if you needed to be. Remove Curse, Remove Disease if desert tombs maybe? Cure poison? Lesser restore? Haste potions? Cure Serious wounds? You usually won't be popping a hireling...

Of course if you can cast spells/scrolls wands - preparation can be slightly different. Assume you are getting nothing and then appreciate everything you are given from the other team members instead of the opposite mentality.

Try to be diplomatic - if you are certain you have a much better way to do the quest, offer to the group, otherwise honor what you signed on for. You can always choose to have your own LSM for that quest going forward.

Try to have ears at least...Be available to listen to instructions and follow them, if you can't maybe you just need to wait for another time to do this quest (this is assuming it is a new one for one) We all have real life and I have really found guilds to be extremely excellent and 90% of pugs to be as well... if you get unlucky with a 10% pug...just dust yourself off and try again... tell the group what is going on briefly rather than just trying to hide in a corner... most will understand.

JOIN A GUILD -- maybe do not rush into this, but joining a group really helps you progress in game and have people to ask questions etc. They may also run/teach/be willing to explain a lot more about the game than a random group.

I waited 6 months before deciding I needed to be part of a guild and 6 more before I talked to them much...lol In hindsight I would of been much further along if I tried to get involved a tiny bit faster...

Take 10 seconds to wiki the quest if you are planning on jumping in the next pug doing x-quest... you can find out the giver, the location, a map, preparation items that might be vital, etc. This can really help you feel more comfortable and seem less "new" to the group. Careful about selling that you "know-it" if you don't it will become obvious in many quests...just admit you are new.

Be aware of scaling - it can be a rude awakening to do a normal quest solo with a cleric hireling... and then go to a 6 person quest on hard or elite with full scaling and no "personal" nanny bot. Also, sometimes clerics have to make a tough call and let certain resource drains die rather than put the whole main group in danger... if you ignored the advise up until here. *** Tactics can also be a LOT different in a full scale version vrs. a solo-hireling version...
    Jeremiiah - Isaiiah - Zephaniiah - Ghallanda - Old Timers Guild

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

And for the love of my sanity stop brining pets into raids and ee's. I'm not talking about the cute little cosmetic ones, do whatever you want with those, but stop bringing the agro-control destroying summons that get everyone killed or make my job as a healer insanely ridiculous. They are not controllable by the player, they ag everything and bring large groups of mobs on people's heads, destroy fascinates if you have bards in the group, and generally make it harder than it has to be. And I still continually see them whenever I pug raids/ee content. And when you ask if the person could stop summoning them, they often get really rude about it or just ignore you entirely. And then their pet draws too much agg or destroys a crystal in shroud and no one gets loot and it just gets ugly.

Just ask the group first, and respect the group if they say no. Honestly, we're not being mean to your summon.

Artie dogs and druid wolve are controllable and can be made passive, so they are a different deal as long as you are controlling them and not creating giant ag fests summon away.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlock View Post
    If in doubt, do nothing and ask. Don't be afraid to ask and ignore any jerk who mocks you for asking. Better than keeping your mouth shut, pretending you know a quest, saying nothing and causing untold hell to the party.

Don't pick up a crest or a key, pull a lever, open a door or get ahead of the main party in any quest you are not completely familiar with.

Always carry cure/repair serious wound pots and drink these out of battle to save SP for any healers in your party. Always carry lesser restoration, remove curse and remove disease potions and drink them whenever afflicted.
    omg this this this. I was teaching a new guy some quests and he was of course so undergeared but he tried to mimic my tred fvs at the time. So yeah i was always ahead of the party trying to gather mobs or just kill some of them to help out. we were showing him epic hard. So while he was dying a lot and lack of dps because of no weapons breaking dr and stuff. i had no issues running with him until one day were doing a quest and he starts running off on his own. one of those quests that a barrier goes up and no turning back thing. that is what made me a little annoyed. So with him trying to mimic me and think he can go ahead i was like *** are you doing?

He flips out on me saying i zerg but then go slow i cant keep up my mind. Ugh i change playstyles when needed or for a quest. A first life who is new do to quests with 0 gear really, cant survive if a kobold smacked them, and 0 clue of quests. Yeah that was a bit much. i want people to learn their own styles but they should NOT go above their abilities.

Community Member

A little help for new raiders in general, and more so for Sarlona players:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...24#post4208724

Community Member

1. Be willing to learn.
    2. Be willing to listen.
    3. Read your chatbox.

Everything else grows out of those 3 things.

Intergalactic Space Crusader
    Treasure Hunter

Default To the dogs!

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityTurtle View Post
    Artie dogs and druid wolve are controllable and can be made passive, so they are a different deal as long as you are controlling them and not creating giant ag fests summon away.
    Foremost all these posts have been very informative and I enjoyed the reading of them. Thank you for the great advice!

To the dogs I raise a toast! My arty dog has saved many a pug, but it requires controlling the dog and using it based on the enhancements you picked. You can reset your dogs enhancements for plat if you need to change styles at a trainer.

Failing to control or use your pet effectivly can bring ire from other players. Some players are very anti-pet because of this. What I want to mention here is if the party/group leader says no pets on a quest/raid, then honor and respect that. Even if you are an uber pet user, please honor it. Its not worth your time and the parties time to argue about it. You don't want to start the quest/raid off on the wrong foot or with contention amongst the players.

If you're an uber pet user sometimes people recognize that if you pug with them enough times. Build a good reputation with your pet and some of those anti-pet folks won't mind you breaking out the dog when they know your pet is going to help with mobs/aggro or carry everyone's stone to the rest shrine.

Building a good reputation with your arty dog or druid wolf benefits all us other pet users

2015 DDO Players Council
    Ravenguard Press

Default Timid players

You guys have given some very insightful and helpful information, thank you very much!

Keep em coming, this is a great help
    Last edited by MuleAxe; 07-03-2013 at 02:56 PM.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````
    MuleAxe~1 | Occidere~1| MuleRaptor | MuleFort | MuleParts

Never ever reenter a quest or raid. If you die and no one's around you, type or say,"I need help." In party chat. Most people would rather trek halfway across the map and back to get you to a shrine than take the reentry penalty.
    --Pealea, Peawee, worldpeas, givepeas achance, and whoopea on Khyber

Quote Originally Posted by wildbynature View Post
    Never ever reenter a quest or raid. If you die and no one's around you, type or say,"I need help." In party chat. Most people would rather trek halfway across the map and back to get you to a shrine than take the reentry penalty.
    There are also quests and raids (especially raids) where you simply can't reenter- a barrier went up behind you or something to block you from getting back to the party. So I second this advice.

However reentry is mainly just a penalty to xp only, so there are times the group will allow it if they aren't running for xp (still, ask first).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by wildbynature View Post
    caveat: EE.
    no one does EE quests or raids for XP. OK OK, some people do, must most pugs do it for fav or loot. and sometimes it's expected that the casters/ divines will do a quick recall to shrine.
    ~~ Adrunil - Rogue. Halfling, big guy you can't miss him. ~~
    ~~ Adrunel - Monkcher. (Moncher?) ~~
    Robodoc - FvS Evoker-Healer. Post 19: Ended up LRing into 13/7 forc
    Orien server.

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arnhelm View Post
    Feel free to break crates and barrels, but be careful not to break exploding barrels up close. Also, when using ranged to break exploding barrels, be sure other party members are far enough away to avoid the explosion. Feel embarrassed to admit this, but before I learned I actually killed the cleric in a group by triggering an explosive barrel while she was too close to avoid the explosion.

Err.. are you sure about this?
    Because me and the people I run with constantly go out of our way to try and get each other killed with exploding barrels, traps, Mobs, Potions of Wonder, Kormor's Belt... ;D

But back on topic, mostly I'd say just listen, follow directions, and ask questions. And always, ALWAYS pick up the docent in POP. Always. No exceptions.
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life10/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin, 2xMonk
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

Community Member

For newer players?

Don't play as though you're soloing. Don't pop hirelings or summons without asking. Don't run off by yourself. If the trapper is working, just wait two seconds. If you're new to the quest, don't touch levers, open doors, or pick things up without asking first- if it needs doing, someone else will probably get to it.

If you're brand spanking new to something, say so. If you've got sense enough to speak up, it usually means you have the capacity to follow directions. You will likely get some instructions when they're needed, especially if someone in the party is on a mic. This is particularly important in raids.

For everyone:

No one likes your hezrou; leave it at home. Your loot is your loot, but if you leave something good to rot in a chest you've just made 11 peoples' lists.

Main Rule: Get out my way! I GOT THIS!

It has already been stated a few times, but cannot be said enough:

If you are new, say so.

If you are not familiar with the quest, say so.

Most people are willing to help and offer advice and direction, but they need to know that you need it.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Quote Originally Posted by DynaTheCat View Post
    Main Rule: Get out my way! I GOT THIS!
    lol Dyna. I just thought of another one. If someone offers to help you, its in your best interest to take it gracefully. I was in an elite proof is in the poison no heals run and offered to buy someone a stack of potions to help keep them alive because they were dying a lot. The response I got was, "I stay alive with a healer, not with some red ****(rather crude word for a viscus fluid you can extract DNA from)"

Now I"m not saying all help should be listened to, or that vets are almighty gods that pity the small folk from time to time and offer to buy them things. BUT, if someone is offering to take time out of their day to do something that benefits you, the least you can do is gracefully decline. Attitude is everything in this game, and if you start making enemies, you're not going to last long.
    --Pealea, Peawee, worldpeas, givepeas achance, and whoopea on Khyber

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast