Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Solo Adventure - Wish you were there!

Had an interesting and exciting and frustrating adventure last night, but since I was running solo I had no one to share the fun with. Thought I'd post here to see if anyone else wanted to share some solo adventures so we can vicariously share the fun.

So I rolled up a Bladeforged and ran through a bunch of low level content to get the favor for extra backpack and bank space, and whatnot. Last night I was running the VoN chain and got to the Jungles of Khyber. Chose elite (of course, being a L9 quest and having a L15 toon). I remembered this one being super-long, so I brought a cleric hireling just to conserve resources. I think this may have affected the scaling more than I thought it would have as it ended up being a little tougher than I imagined it would be for a L15 toon.

So anyway, despite it being harder than I expected I did make it through without too much trouble until the next-to-the-end boss fight with the three red names (beholder, troll, and caster) and right away the hireling dies. All my buffs disappear thanks to the beholder, but I still have death block on my gear so I don't lose levels or get intsta-killed. However, the troll is regenerating all damage as fast as I dish it out and the red-names are apparently immune to my paralyzer and vorpal I am using. So I switch to my dps weapons but meanwhile the red-caster is launching full auto explosions at me, the troll is hacking away, and the beholder is making ray-gun noises at me and my LOH get quickly depleted and then "ding" my ghost joins the ghost of my hireling.

Well by this point (after having to run the "Pathway to Khyber" quest to get to "Jungles of Khyber") I have about 90 minutes of time invested in this adventure and nothing to show for it. I click on the "XP" button and see that I was two fights away from 16k xp. Dang!

All right, I have a Sibyres Spirit Cake in my inventory, do I chance it? All three red-names are standig on top of my stone just daring me to try and come back. Maybe I should recall and try to make it back before the 5 minute timer ticks down? Hmmmm... A /resloc shows I am still bound way back in House C. I don't think I can run from House C to House K, then (with the res sickness still in effect) battle past the trolls in "Pathway to Khyber" and get back in quest in 5 minutes...

So with great trepidation I eat the cake and try to sprint in retreat to avoid taking on all 3 bosses at once. Unfortunately all 3 are hot on my heels and either by fate or chance I get cornered in the room with the shrines and killed. I wait to see if they are satisfied with their work and head back to their own room. No luck, they stand guard over my corpse. I am still out of LOH and SP, so not much chance of using the res shrine to any good effect, but I try anyway. I res and try to quickly drink one of those healing elixirs but I don't even have time to click my hotbar before I get killed again. Rinse and repeat this scene a couple more times. Okay, this is NOT working but I hate to waste the last (nearly) couple hours and throw away 16k XP.

As a last ditch attempt to salvage this quest, I hold my breath and "release". Equip FF item and jump from the platform high above House C. Race to the market gate. Race to House K. Race to "Pathway to Khyber" entrance. Dang! Entering the quest I am still suffering from Res sickness. Use invisibility and race past trolls. Darn it, I have to kill at least the trolls in front of the "Jungles of Khyber" entrance to bring down the magical barrier. Still invisible, I race to the Rest Shrine and park myself out of view of the trolls nearby. Recover some health from resting, go invisible again, and head back to the trolls guarding the quest entrance. Kill them quickly and click on the quest entrance, very happy to see that the quest is still active! Woohoo!

All right, now inside I decide to stop messing around and grab a cheap gold seal hireling (L15 Barb for 20TP) and successfully kill the 3 red names still waiting at the rest shrine, then dispatch the end boss golem and claim my (now reduced for re-entry and deaths) 14k XP. Also hit a favor 1200 or so (multiple of 100) to get 25TP.

Anyway long story hope you enjoyed it.

Solo kind of bites in that you have no one to share the excitement with while it is happening. lol

lol well glad you pulled it off but im just wondering why did you charge all 3 bosses? why not pull them one at a time so its easier to deal with? oh well tactics are still nice solo as well :P

Quote Originally Posted by arkonas View Post
    lol well glad you pulled it off but im just wondering why did you charge all 3 bosses? why not pull them one at a time so its easier to deal with? oh well tactics are still nice solo as well :P
    I was still over confident I guess. After all I was L15 with a cleric hireling on a L9 quest. lol
    I guess tactics can be even more important when running solo.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    I was still over confident I guess. After all I was L15 with a cleric hireling on a L9 quest. lol
    I guess tactics can be even more important when running solo.
    This is one of the biggest problems with running solo toons with little or no dps. I can cruise through most any content on my cleric/bard/pally/rogue toons. But the boss fights are sometimes a challenge since they're always immune to charm/assassinate/etc. I had a similar experience in trial by fire with my cleric. I was out of sp, and the troll regenned hp faster than I could dish it out. I had a couple mnemonic pots, but even with bb going and the occasional cometfall, I could not get the the red name troll down fast enough. I finally had to release and come back with a fighter hire. Parked him at the entrance and called him for the end fight. Between the two of us, we could do it.

But trolls and cleric red names are the worst. Especially since their self healing is essentially infinite, and mine is not.

It sounds like you had a good time anyway!

Community Member

Lol... wait 'til you try to solo the Damsel.

I think I spent an hour or two trying to solo her on my rogue once, even after everything proc'd all at once with all my boosts/buffs running, I could only get her to like 500hp before she regen'd to 5k.

I have, however, soloed the Fire Bomber on a melee on Elite/BB, which took me about maybe 2+ hours at least.

That fight is great. I've been in a few underprepared parties that accidentally pull all three bosses.
    Then comes the comedy of hitting the shrine and trying to lead the bad guys far enough away so the rest of the party can rest and recoup.

Ah, the memories. Running pell mell completely naked after dying countless times, dodging beholder rays, leaping angry bosses and taking one (or several!) for the team in a glorious kamikaze run. Good stuff.
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

Easiest way I've found so far to pull them 1 at a time is poking my head around the corner so I can just see the first one(usually the caster). Make no attack or otherwise threaten it. When it sees you, it will run toward you without alerting the others. Run back towards the shrine and kill it. Repeat for the others. The 2nd one sometimes walks right beside the bee holder. Just be patient

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    It sounds like you had a good time anyway!
    I did in the end.

I must have spent 30 minutes rezzing and being re-killed, waiting to see if they would leave, wondering if I should risk a release, etc. That part was not fun. lol

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

All my buffs disappear thanks to the beholder, but I still have death block on my gear so I don't lose levels or get intsta-killed.
    Great story, I just feel compelled to point out one little thing for your soloing future with beholders. Deathblock does NOT prevent level drains, only deathward (dispellable buff) does. Deathblock will protect you from instakills (but not disintegration, which is a damage spell but often results in instakills! LOL). So having an emergency supply of res pots is still a good idea. You can (and often do) get lucky with beholders and not get level drained, but it's possible.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityTurtle View Post
    Great story, I just feel compelled to point out one little thing for your soloing future with beholders. Deathblock does NOT prevent level drains, only deathward (dispellable buff) does. Deathblock will protect you from instakills (but not disintegration, which is a damage spell but often results in instakills! LOL). So having an emergency supply of res pots is still a good idea. You can (and often do) get lucky with beholders and not get level drained, but it's possible.
    You missed another little thing. He's a bladeforged so he's immune to level drain anyways.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Krelar View Post
    You missed another little thing. He's a bladeforged so he's immune to level drain anyways.
    Ahh easy to miss though, since in my telling of the story I did mention deathblock and not losing levels or being insta-killed in the same breath.

Thanks for the comments and tips everyone! I did indeed forget about disintegration. Also nice tips on drawing them away one at a time.

Community Member

Pace off 10 seconds running from the shrine. Draw the bosses one-by-one to that point.

im assuming you missed hes a bladesworn therefore immune to energy drain :P

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Ahh easy to miss though, since in my telling of the story I did mention deathblock and not losing levels or being insta-killed in the same breath.

Thanks for the comments and tips everyone! I did indeed forget about disintegration. Also nice tips on drawing them away one at a time.
    I was simply concerned for the fate of any other toons/furture lives the way that was worded and weirdly still care enough about my fellow players to want to help them, no offense was intended! And disintegration is evil! EVIL! You are a paladin, do not interact with the evil! *Grins*
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Community Member

As a last ditch attempt to salvage this quest, I hold my breath and "release". Equip FF item and jump from the platform high above House C. Race to the market gate. Race to House K.
    I'm confused about this part - you were bound at House C, so you recalled, then took the elevator up to the floating platform, jumped down to the market gate, and ran around to House K?

Why not just go up the stairs and take the Teleporter to House K?

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    I'm confused about this part - you were bound at House C, so you recalled, then took the elevator up to the floating platform, jumped down to the market gate, and ran around to House K?

Why not just go up the stairs and take the Teleporter to House K?
    As a bladeforged you start way up there. I never changed my res location, so that's where it took me back.

I quad box often and that one is always a tough one at level... I always grab the wf barb and send him in first. Makes it a lot easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Krelar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by arkonas View Post
    im assuming you missed hes a bladesworn therefore immune to energy drain :P
    I'm assuming you missed that Krelar pointed that out 3 posts before you did.

Anyway, I got one. It's not as harrowing as the OP's story, maybe, but it was more satisfying than a Mt Dew and Snickers bar.

Was running Splinterskull Elite solo on my rogue, who IIRC was about level 9 at the time. Well, after all the hassle, and the repitition of running through the same territory over and over again to do those quests, and all the aggravation of hireling death...you know, all the usual.....I was darned ready to kill ol' High Chief Whatshiswhozit and get the heck out of Tangleroot.

So as I entered the final chamber, I came up with evil, genius plan. First, I Bluffed his guards one at a time off into the shadows, far enough away from the throne that I could finish them off good and private-like. Then, I opened the secret rooms and stole all his ill-acquired treasure. Once I had murdered all his henchmen, and taken everything he had of value, then, and only then, did I sneak around behind him and backstab him good and hard. Didn't kill him, I still had to finish him off the good ol' fashoined messy way, but it felt sooooooo good.

Payback.
    All that is wrong with DDO, life, taxes, poltics, religion, music, fast food, education, the criminal justice system, the weather, society, the universe, and previously-discontinued-but-now-on-their-way-back snack cakes, is all the fault of Wizards of the Coast. I know this because Fred told me so, and Mind Flayers are smart.

Community Member

A few tips for the OP. First off, in the fight, the troll is actually the least of the threats or close to the same as the caster anyway. The first target should have been the beholder to take the disintegrate out of the equation...and he doesn't regen so should go down faster. Next the caster as, in heroic, I believe he is an orange name rather than the red that the other two are (on epic, all three are red), so not immune to your para/vorpal weapons and also doesn't regen. The troll last as he is the heartiest of the bunch so better to fight him with the easier to kill opponents out of the way and I try to carry a fire or acid weapon just for those and ogre magi as either damage type shuts off their regen for 30 seconds.

Next, if you couldn't reach the shrine as a ghost, you should have at least ghosted as far as you could before using your rez cake. Preferably out of their sight to give a chance to heal up some, also try targeting the rez shrine and order your hire to use it to see if he was in range. Oh and if you die near a shrine and the enemies camp it, try to lead them away when you rez and ghost back to it if (when) they kill you. Hopefully they wont reagro and come back in.

Good story though.

Quote Originally Posted by Philibusta View Post
    I'm assuming you missed that Krelar pointed that out 3 posts before you did.

Anyway, I got one. It's not as harrowing as the OP's story, maybe, but it was more satisfying than a Mt Dew and Snickers bar.

Was running Splinterskull Elite solo on my rogue, who IIRC was about level 9 at the time. Well, after all the hassle, and the repitition of running through the same territory over and over again to do those quests, and all the aggravation of hireling death...you know, all the usual.....I was darned ready to kill ol' High Chief Whatshiswhozit and get the heck out of Tangleroot.

So as I entered the final chamber, I came up with evil, genius plan. First, I Bluffed his guards one at a time off into the shadows, far enough away from the throne that I could finish them off good and private-like. Then, I opened the secret rooms and stole all his ill-acquired treasure. Once I had murdered all his henchmen, and taken everything he had of value, then, and only then, did I sneak around behind him and backstab him good and hard. Didn't kill him, I still had to finish him off the good ol' fashoined messy way, but it felt sooooooo good.

Payback.
    lol that would be assuming i read every post as well. :P sometimes im just skimming through. some just skip around as well lol not to mention i didnt look at time stamps either. So maybe we were responding at the same time lol. who knows. don't care lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast