Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

Default What new builds are you planning?

For those of you that have been paying attention to the lamannia stuff and taking advantage of the dojo, what new original builds are you planning to try out when the enhancement stuff goes live?

Quote Originally Posted by FlaviusMaximus View Post
    For those of you that have been paying attention to the lamannia stuff and taking advantage of the dojo, what new original builds are you planning to try out when the enhancement stuff goes live?
    Only thing I'm planning on is waiting until the live release.

From alpha to bata they made several changes: lowered point costs, doubled the number of selectable class trees from 3 to 6 and added another tree to Clerics, just to name a few...

I've heard no word on how many (if any) more "preview" revisions there will be, so it seems a bit too much like counting my chickens before they've hatched.

Making plans now just affords extra opportunities for disappointment later...
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Only thing I'm planning on is waiting until the live release.

From alpha to bata they made several changes: lowered point costs, doubled the number of selectable class trees from 3 to 6 and added another tree to Clerics, just to name a few...

I've heard no word on how many (if any) more "preview" revisions there will be, so it seems a bit too much like counting my chickens before they've hatched.

Making plans now just affords extra opportunities for disappointment later...
    Cool, thanks for playing.

Community Member

I was very excited about trying out a repeater arti 14/rgr 6, to take advantage of the new clickable ranged attacks granted in AA/DS being multiplied x3...and, while they are immensely cool, the bug where you have to manually reload your repeater after every special attack (and the subsequent fact that you cant use special attacks while auto-attacking) killed that idea, for all practical intents. If they fix that mechanic, I definitely like that build, though Inferno Shot at 3SP gets expensive really fast since repeaters don't get the temp-SP proc from AA.

Consequently I'm very excited now about a 6rgr/14 druid, or maybe a 6 rgr/6 mnk/8 druid, haven't entirely decided....but bow archery, with all the RGR autogrants like MS, plus either 10KS to alternate with MS and some low-level Druid heals, or no 10KS but Heal/Regenerate and some nice Druid DOTs.

Druid also gets Beguile as a L1 enhancement, which I cant possibly rave about enough when you're fighting tough targets, it turns bosses into training dummies, especially if you have an attack that interrupts - and when they have 8 second attack animations, its reeeal easy to interrupt.

No plans for any new builds; converting my existing builds to the new enhancements is plenty to worry about.

Community Member

9 Arti, 9fighter, 2mnk - Dwarf, you work the rest out........
    Toons:
    Smallmans Syndrome, Rovac, Dragnipur, Prettyhater Machine, Lubed, Castinfist
    Emmpeethree, Hyperkill Hyperthrill and Greyvegas (All on Khyber)

i don't plan on making any builds until the enhancement pass is done
    and from the looks of it, it's FAR from done =\
    PS: Greensteel RUINED the game! and you all know it!
    less buffing, more nerfing!!!
    to make it easier for those of you that wants to avoid me in game, all my characters are in "Bladesworn Mercenaries"

I'm already leveling a human 13/7 FvS/wizard, but I think I'll TR it quite quickly into 12/6/2 of either warforged sorc/wizard/FvS or human FvS/sorc/wiz.
    Owy Evoker FvS / Praledric Completionist Qstaff Rogue/Monk/Druid / Laraeph DC Wizard / Laraelph AA Monk/Ranger/Pally / Gaenry Shiradi Sorc/FvS/Wiz / Reasis SWF Pally & numerous others
    The Leveller for DDO!

I agree with the people waiting until the new system is done before planning builds. Too many variables yet undecided. Too many possibilities for disappointment and rework for the build because the devs changed their minds at the last minute.
    There is no free lunch.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arnhelm View Post
    I agree with the people waiting until the new system is done before planning builds. Too many variables yet undecided. Too many possibilities for disappointment and rework for the build because the devs changed their minds at the last minute.
    Neh? Isnt the complaint always that Turbine stubbornly pushes things out half-done and doesn't change anything from Lamannia that people told them about?

Aside from a few minor tweaks/rebalances, I don't expect (at this point in the process) that there will be any substantial change to the form of the EP, unless a gamebreaking exploiter build is found. Ie, what you see is basically what we'll get, with maybe just a few values tweaked up or down.

Not sure what the heck I'm doing with my pure ESOS Horc bard.

My 18/2 Stalwart will be LRing/TRing into one of those over-powered 12/6/2 monk-splash builds with 100 PRR while weilding a two-hander with no DPS penalty. it's a better tank than my Stalwart and sacrifices no offense.

The rest of my toons aren't that bad off. Pure Wizard is fine, clonk is fine, etc . . .

2015 DDO Players Council FuzzyDuck81's Avatar

As a new build, cos i liked Jade Empire, the Black Whirlwind - dwarf 12monk/6fighter/2something using axes while centered in dreadnaught destiny.. or depending on whether the racial PrE lines get implemented maybe look into a drow version cramming as much tempest in as possible.

But mainly adapting some existing builds:
    My 12fvs/6fighter/2monk, hes currently a heavily armoured dwarven axe & board guy... again, assuming racial PrE lines get implemented then go with stalwart defender, defender line plus some AoV & a load of standard racial enhancements for a nicely durable & self-sufficient "alternative paladin"
    My dragonmarked elves - the shortsword-using ninja 12monk/6fighter/2arty & the 12monk/6fighter/2arty quarterstaff user.. potentially freeing up 2 feats to take marks through the racial line will add a nice extra bit of ability to them & the new monk & kensai abilities (switching from stalwart as theyre currently using on live) will boost their dps capability & dodge etc. nicely too.
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Default from what ive seen so far.

going pure ranger. MIGHT try my beloved rangerficer later but as of now. rangerficer would not be able to get endless. still might be doable.

Community Member

Default people will probably laugh...

But I'm looking forward to making a loosely Juggernaut based bastard sword & board build (16 Arti / 2 Monk / 2 Pally). I know he won't be max DPS, but I think S&B looks cool. Plus my "melee" toons are bards, so I'm used to bringing up the rear of the kill count.

Playing around on Lamannia, it looks to not be a total pile-on. The new Battle Engineer enhancements up the bastard sword damage a bit, and the Sacred Defender and Ninja Spy trees have some useful stuff in the first 2 tiers. I hope this is WAI, but the Sacred Defender core enhancements don't require Paladin class levels, so even a 2 splash of Pally lets you get the Sacred Defense stance.

It will be even better when you can TR into a Bladeforged, and get a second reconstruct as an SLA (and look even cooler).

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyDuck81 View Post
    As a new build, cos i liked Jade Empire, the Black Whirlwind - dwarf 12monk/6fighter/2something using axes while centered in dreadnaught destiny.. or depending on whether the racial PrE lines get implemented maybe look into a drow version cramming as much tempest in as possible.

My 12fvs/6fighter/2monk, hes currently a heavily armoured dwarven axe & board guy... again, assuming racial PrE lines get implemented then go with stalwart defender, defender line plus some AoV & a load of standard racial enhancements for a nicely durable & self-sufficient "alternative paladin"
    My dragonmarked elves - the shortsword-using ninja 12monk/6fighter/2arty & the 12monk/6fighter/2arty quarterstaff user.. potentially freeing up 2 feats to take marks through the racial line will add a nice extra bit of ability to them & the new monk & kensai abilities (switching from stalwart as theyre currently using on live) will boost their dps capability & dodge etc. nicely too.
    Very nice builds. Just a heads up - I believe the Kensai tier 5 centering ability is currently requiring greater weapon focus (because of a lower tier ability that connects to it), meaning you would need 8 levels of fighter if the system goes live as is. You will need to double check me on that, but it's worth looking into.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyDuck81 View Post

Very nice builds. Just a heads up - I believe the Kensai tier 5 centering ability is currently requiring greater weapon focus (because of a lower tier ability that connects to it), meaning you would need 8 levels of fighter if the system goes live as is. You will need to double check me on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post

My 18/2 Stalwart will be LRing/TRing into one of those over-powered 12/6/2 monk-splash builds with 100 PRR... .
    What classes, out of curiosity?

Euro-Founder and Keeper Refugee Dexraven's Avatar

Wind stance Kophesh Monk/fighter. Because i can
    Leader of the Unearthed Arcana