Question Cleric heavy armor question

I'm playing a multi class drow cleric 8c/1ran/1rog. I stopped wearing heavy armor. I noticed that I would fail casting certain spells. If I take it off I can cast the spells. I now wear med armor and sometimes light If I find a really good 1.

was hopping for some advice so I can wear it without spell failure.

thanks

Sorry Spadeathome I cant personally help you out on this one but um....just to add to the questions on the exact topic......um.....

Isn't spell failure only supposed to affect Arcane spells? Isn't that why it's abbreviated ASF?

Seems to me there might be a chance there's some kinda bug at work here.

To my knowledge, Divine spellcasters are NOT supposed to be affected by Spell Failure chance while wearing heavy armor. 'Course, I only recently returned to the game after an absence of over a year. And I dont play many (read:any) divines. So my knowledge on em is far from perfect.
    All that is wrong with DDO, life, taxes, poltics, religion, music, fast food, education, the criminal justice system, the weather, society, the universe, and previously-discontinued-but-now-on-their-way-back snack cakes, is all the fault of Wizards of the Coast. I know this because Fred told me so, and Mind Flayers are smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Philibusta View Post
    Sorry Spadeathome I cant personally help you out on this one but um....just to add to the questions on the exact topic......um.....

Isn't spell failure only supposed to affect Arcane spells? Isn't that why it's abbreviated ASF?

Seems to me there might be a chance there's some kinda bug at work here.

To my knowledge, Divine spellcasters are NOT supposed to be affected by Spell Failure chance while wearing heavy armor. 'Course, I only recently returned to the game after an absence of over a year. And I dont play many (read:any) divines. So my knowledge on em is far from perfect.
    Your knowledge is spot on. Divine spellcasting should NOT be affected by armor spell failure chance. This means clerics, druids, favored souls, paladins and rangers can wear any armor they want. If you are casting a spell from your spell list and it makes a roll for arcane spell failure, it is a bug and you should report it.

I know there is a loophole on the game code about scrolls with spells that are arcane and divine (like Protection from Evil), and works as if they were cast by arcane characters, even if you are divine. Those suffer chance of failure if scrolled while wearing armor. But I doubt this is the case.

I think what happened it that you were trying to cast while in combat and failed your Concentration check. This can misfire a spell.
    Main: Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist [<o>]

Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

It seems you are having problems casting ranger spells.

You should have no problem casting cleric spells when using Heavy armor, but if you are using a full plate and cast a ranger spell, now that can fail (I think).

If ranger spells are not affected by spell failure when using heavy armor, then it may be a bug as others have said.
    [Ghallanda]
    [Nemessi sorcerer][Helenya cleric][Riita cleric][Myrhea artificer][Shunrei monk][Sverlana rogue][Lillyannn paladin]

Quote Originally Posted by msdesign View Post
    It seems you are having problems casting ranger spells.

You should have no problem casting cleric spells when using Heavy armor, but if you are using a full plate and cast a ranger spell, now that can fail (I think).

If ranger spells are not affected by spell failure when using heavy armor, then it may be a bug as others have said.
    Ranger spells are not affected by arcane spell failure since they are divine. Furthermore, one level of ranger does not let you cast ranger spells.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSlugger View Post
    Ranger spells are not affected by arcane spell failure since they are divine. Furthermore, one level of ranger does not let you cast ranger spells.
    I forgot that rangers get spells only at level 4 like palis.... So, must be a bug then.
    [Ghallanda]
    [Nemessi sorcerer][Helenya cleric][Riita cleric][Myrhea artificer][Shunrei monk][Sverlana rogue][Lillyannn paladin]

Quote Originally Posted by nibel View Post
    Your knowledge is spot on. Divine spellcasting should NOT be affected by armor spell failure chance. This means clerics, druids, favored souls, paladins and rangers can wear any armor they want. If you are casting a spell from your spell list and it makes a roll for arcane spell failure, it is a bug and you should report it.

I know there is a loophole on the game code about scrolls with spells that are arcane and divine (like Protection from Evil), and works as if they were cast by arcane characters, even if you are divine. Those suffer chance of failure if scrolled while wearing armor. But I doubt this is the case.

I think what happened it that you were trying to cast while in combat and failed your Concentration check. This can misfire a spell.
    the few ties it happened was b 4 combat. happened a couple time when I was casting all my buffs at start of a quest

Quote Originally Posted by BigSlugger View Post
    yes no ranger spell till lev 4. was cleric spells.

I did notice the game was as buggy as I've ever seen it after last update. has been a lot better for last few days. maybe ill buy some heavy armor and see what happens.
    Last edited by Spadeathome; 07-03-2013 at 05:01 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spadeathome View Post
    the few ties it happened was b 4 combat. happened a couple time when I was casting all my buffs at start of a quest
    This sometimes happens to me (Mage, wearing robes only) too, but then it was not a failed cast, but I didn't cast the spell at all, when I click the buff spells one after the other too fast. You have to wait half a second between casting the buffs if you want to be sure to get all of them. Your combat log should give information about a failed spell in case of asf.

Quote Originally Posted by Spadeathome View Post
    I'm playing a multi class drow cleric 8c/1ran/1rog. I stopped wearing heavy armor. I noticed that I would fail casting certain spells. If I take it off I can cast the spells. I now wear med armor and sometimes light If I find a really good 1.

was hopping for some advice so I can wear it without spell failure.

thanks
    My guess if your getting the spell failure because of the one level of Ranger. But I have also gotten Spell Failures due to lag or some other unexplainable occurrence at quest entrance like Lanhelin said on my PM. The best of luck to you, I wish I could be more help.

My cleric has 1 level of wizard, wears heavy armor, and never ever fails with any of his cleric spells. No ASF checks happen at all. ASF checks are hard to miss; they show up as a die roll with a different die symbol than what normal die rolls look like.

My advice would be to try hard-targeting yourself (by pressing F1) before casting your self-buffs.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    ...ASF checks are hard to miss; they show up as a die roll with a different die symbol than what normal die rolls look like...
    It's generally a good idea to keep the die in a spot you can easily see. Mine for instance is located about 3cm to the left of my mouse target marker, so basicly in the middle of my screen! It's amazing how much information it can give you that you would otherwise miss out on (you know, those disintegrates you didnt even see flying but apparently saved 5 times before you finally rolled that 1 and died)
    Sarlona Deluxe
    Axess (high dps/versatility [TR1]) ~ Nimmuz (cleric) ~ Roboboogie (spellsword [TR1])
    Partydeluxe (bard [TR1]) ~ Partywiz (WF AM [TR1])