Community Member

Default Pure lvl 20 druid caster vs. 18 druid/ 2 monk

I am looking to create basically a pure casting build for druid and wondered if it would make sense to take 2 levels in a monk splash.
    I would probably be using a human race, and so essentially it gets down to:

Pure Druid - 2 caster levels (spell DCs and dmg), 1 lvl 7 spell slot, 1 lvl 8 spell slot, 2 lvl 9 spell slots, capstone, couple additional benefits

18/2 Build - Higher AC, Evasion, potentially higher wisdom and saves with Ocean stance, 2 additional monk class feats (toughness & lightning reflexes/dodge)

Thoughts on which path I should head? Personally I am leaning towards the monk splash, but still definitely open to suggestions.

Community Member

I ran a 18druid/2monk and had a blast. That second feat should probably be Stunning Fist, though. Even if you are going to try to be pure caster, it's good to have a back-up plan.

-- Eli Bolas
    There is no chance I'm reading that grammatical disaster.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by strebster View Post
    I am looking to create basically a pure casting build for druid and wondered if it would make sense to take 2 levels in a monk splash.
    I would probably be using a human race, and so essentially it gets down to:

Pure Druid - 2 caster levels (spell DCs and dmg), 1 lvl 7 spell slot, 1 lvl 8 spell slot, 2 lvl 9 spell slots, capstone, couple additional benefits

18/2 Build - Higher AC, Evasion, potentially higher wisdom and saves with Ocean stance, 2 additional monk class feats (toughness & lightning reflexes/dodge)

Thoughts on which path I should head? Personally I am leaning towards the monk splash, but still definitely open to suggestions.
    You actually only lose 1 DC on your spells with 2monk vs pure (assuming you take heiroplant capstone) because you get +2 wisdom in water stance. Remember DCs only apply to highest level spell you can cast (i.e. lvl 9 spells), which you get at lvl 17 on wizard, cleric and druid. I think the 2 monk is well worth sacrificing 1 DC on EQ for, and having a good stunning fist is a bonus.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by jskinner937 View Post
    You actually only lose 1 DC on your spells with 2monk vs pure (assuming you take heiroplant capstone) because you get +2 wisdom in water stance. Remember DCs only apply to highest level spell you can cast (i.e. lvl 9 spells), which you get at lvl 17 on wizard, cleric and druid. I think the 2 monk is well worth sacrificing 1 DC on EQ for, and having a good stunning fist is a bonus.
    Edit- Your quake DC will be the same (its evocation), as only conjuration and transmutation spells benefit from the extra DC with capstone.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

With the changes to the AC system, I wouldn't automatically presume a Drunk has higher AC than, say, a pure druid wearing dragonscale. And don't forget PRR is partially based on armor; med armor would give a pure druid ~16 PRR at endgame if I'm calculating right (a bit more w/Divine Power clickie to up your BAB). Also, this should go without saying, but Evasion is only useful if you have good Reflex saves and druids have low Reflex, so make sure you factor that in, too. Finally, if you want to use Ocean stance, it means your caster gear will have to be ki weapons (i.e., staves, kamas, etc.) or go into your other equipment slots; the Cannith Challenge gear is great for Drunks if you get Frozen Tunic+Wind Bracers+Flame Cloak, which covers your 3 major elements and adds a few other nice bonuses (Blurry, Awareness, a couple of guard effects).