Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Default Why still 5HP per class level not character levels?

So with the new Heroic Durability giving you +5 HP per 5 class levels, I was expecting this to be changed after the last alpha preview to be based off your character level rather than class levels.

So a 4/4/12 would only get +10 HP while a 5/5/10 would get the full +20 HP.

I can't think on any good reason to keep this.

What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlock View Post
    So with the new Heroic Durability giving you +5 HP per 5 class levels, I was expecting this to be changed after the last alpha preview to be based off your character level rather than class levels.

So a 4/4/12 would only get +10 HP while a 5/5/10 would get the full +20 HP.

I can't think on any good reason to keep this.

What am I missing?
    There are two theories I have

1. The devs are using "dartboard" design. They tied it to class levels by random chance and decided to go with it. No logic. No reasoning other than that's the way it is. Much like assigning possibilities to areas on a dartboard and tossing away.

2. It was done intentionally with the knowledge that it pushes players toward certain class splits. Multiples of 5 being the best way to go for max hp. They made a conscious decision to push players into 20/0, 10/5/5 and 10/10 type splits to maximize their hp. This is directly contrary to the desire to want to be a multiple of 6 for the innates in trees, which forces choices. More hp or more class options?

I want to think that it's number 2, but we see enough of number 1 that I wouldn't put it past them.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Could be. Other suggestion from party chat was that someone stuck in a line of code in the level-up script that they've never gone back to. Something that says

if ((DNTTBD % 5) == 0)
    {
    Character.AddHP(5);
    }

Another design choice that would benefit from being part of a dev diary to explain what their overall approach to character HP was from the new enhancements.

I read something ridiculously stupid that part of the reason for the Toughness nerf was because characters with more HP are making low HP characters feel inferior ... which seems to suggest that the design objective is to reduced everyone to the same HP as CON dumped rogue?

I did have to facepalm when I read the dev post on it saying that HP have become divisive ..... remind me again who it was that added specific numbers to the red bar and making them visible to everyone in the party?

So rather than give everyone more opportunity to get HP to address the problem, we start a design rush to the bottom.

I have to think that it being 5 per class level instead of 5 per overall level is an error that will hopefully be fixed.

As for the amount - 5 hp - I wouldn't mind it being a higher number.

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

I have to think that it being 5 per class level instead of 5 per overall level is an error that will hopefully be fixed.

As for the amount - 5 hp - I would like to see that be a higher number so as to not hurt classes that currently get more hp from toughness enhancements.