Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by psykopeta View Post
    12 ic piercing(the only slashing weapon are shortswords iirc, ignore em, i use rapiers instead, ...
    Shortswords are piercing too. (Well, unnamed ones anyway.) The slashing simple weapon is the sickle.

(Since when is a sickle simpler than a hand axe, especially from the user's viewpoint? Then again, not like this game has anything at all to do with real life...)
    No longer completely f2p as of November 2014. Father of 3 more DDO players so far (I do have more children than that).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Qezuzu View Post
    You have an alright build there, though I would drop INT to 16 and raise STR just to avoid getting disabled by exhaustion debuffs. You don't need (and shouldn't shoot for) absolute maximum Assassinate DCs on a first life toon.

Feats are straightforward:
    TWF-line
    Toughness (with the new changes, this is debatable)
    Precision
    Imp. Crit: Pierce or Slash
    Combat Expertise: not a feat you see people recommending a lot, but I am a personal advocate. This is very much an end-game feat, though, meant to be paired with Dreadnought Improved Combat Expertise. The extra 20 PRR is essential.
    Hm. I was planning a stealth/self-sufficiency build myself, with the idea of having something to boost the dragonmarks too. Not even going to try assassinate, actually, going more into TWF DPS for melee and headshot for ranged...

I had planned something like, 13 Rogue \ 6 Ranger \ 1 Wizard, for extra feats, positive spellpower, and such. Assuming I read things correctly, 6 Ranger should now let me use dex for damage with scimitars and light weapons without spending a feat? (Not rapiers apparently but light maces, hammers and picks too?)

So, the full TWF line, Point Blank Shot, dragonmarks, Maximize, Sap, Dodge, Rapid Shot, Precise Shot, IC both ranged and melee, Slippery Mind and Improved Evasion. Also more healing from DWS Lesser Vigor SLA, and stealth from Archmage Invisibility SLA.

Planned to start with 10/17/14/16/8/8, level ups into dex, and take a +2 int tome from the still unopened birthday box at level 7.

The build planning is happening in this thread, not finalized but being still sort of new to this game that's probably about as good as I'll get on my own without help...

Now, I could easily replace Sap with Precision and one of the Imp Crit feats with Combat Expertise... would that be useful?
    Last edited by mna; 08-23-2013 at 07:12 PM.
    No longer completely f2p as of November 2014. Father of 3 more DDO players so far (I do have more children than that).

Quote Originally Posted by mna View Post
    Shortswords are piercing too. (Well, unnamed ones anyway.) The slashing simple weapon is the sickle.

(Since when is a sickle simpler than a hand axe, especially from the user's viewpoint? Then again, not like this game has anything at all to do with real life...)
    yup, rechecked the finesse feat, and shortsword are piercing, i was sure there was some useful weapon that wasn't piercing, and it's... kukri?! XD

also, halfling assassin rules, i'm glad of waiting for EP to build the last rogue life, lvl 10, 10d6+2 on SA not bad (and have deception,bluff and the blinding skill, so everything dies quite fast lol)
    psykopeta - hoarding pl, for the sake of hoarding, the day i become ubercompletionist will be because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS i'm not a pro, maybe if i reincarnate in RL...

first off great guide, you've inspired me to make a stealthy character
    however, there is one notion I would like to challenge:

Quote Originally Posted by Qezuzu View Post
    Stealth is not quick! Take your time.
    some testing showed me that the "Faster Sneaking" enhancements from different classes stack. currently there are 3 classes (ranger monk and rogue) that are able to take that enhancement, and with each granting +50% to sneak speed, you can end up sneaking at a high speed.
    I ended up building a 16 monk / 3 ranger / 1 rogue character, with monk speed and abundant step complementing what is already a very fast character.

this turned out to have very desirable side effects on stealth, as with the latest changes your chances to be detected are increased the longer you stand in front of a monster. moving at this super-fast speed makes you virtually undetectable and allows you to just zoom past crowded rooms before they can take a second look.
    thought it worth mentioning, and thanks again for creating this guide!

Tagged to read later
    Kill'em all and let their favorite deity sort'em out
    Quote from a shroud run "I am an idiot, not a newb"

Community Member

Default nice guide

hey, great work! nice to see people is still into stealth. It's possible to do the claw with 1 kill only (the fire giant at the start), though it requires some scaping abilities, like faster sneaking. (some giants spot you always, blame the lever. Gotta pass through them and pray to remain sneaking while they miss rying to hit you, so the roaming scorp dont see you. Then jump quickly to the mid-level)

I did it with 2 kills, with a ranger. Was a lot of fun

Default Updated for Update 19?

Great general guide.

It doesn't quite look like the guide is up to sync with Update 19's changes, specifically the new stealth AI that will pick off stealthed characters over time if they don't follow the new Spot bonus principles. I only quick-scanned the recent posts so I might have missed something.

Some thoughts in regards to Monks (it's what I play most of the time).

* Monks do gain an assassinate-like ability called Quivering Palm at Level 15. It's primary difference over Rogue's Assassinate is that it has a faster cooldown but also pulls a Monk out of stealth when using it. So ensure that other enemies aren't facing you and your target and return to Sneak immediately on using it.
    * Monks gain advantages to Move Silently since they don't wear any armor. Their natural movement speed bonuses aid Faster Sneaking a bit in the Ninja Spy tree.
    *The Ninja Spy is the quintessential infiltrator. Unlike a scout, infiltrators have better offenses and are superior in tactical fighting (small groups or isolated enemies). What they cannot outrun, they may stand a better chance to outgun. They also can go invisible at will and gain incorporeality in Heroic play. They are perfect for pure stealth play.
    *On Shadow Manipulation, you noted that you "charm a single mob." That's incorrect. I think you meant "dominate a single enemy." It's a "charm +1" in that the dominated enemy follows you and fights for 1 minute before it will likely fail a Fortitude save and die. Charmed enemies just stay in their relative location.
    Last edited by Spencerian; 10-29-2013 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Clarified
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more
    (formerly known as Spencerian)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123