Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    DDO Producer

Quote Originally Posted by Ykt View Post
    Welcome new guy.

In 2012-2013 we've seen changes to Korthos, low level named items reworked and low level item augments introduced. I'd say that's enough work on the low levels. The number of low level quests and wilderness areas is huge compared to the mid-high levels and epics. Players spend much more time at lvl 15+ than at lvl 1-5.

it's about reworking the Harbor. This is the place that people bounce out of the game because they are give very little direction to go. It isn't a matter of retooling quests and whatnot but about streamlining the experience for a little while to get people into the deeper parts of the game, and help them understand how the quests were broken up in the mid game. There is such a dramatic dip at level 4, it needed to be addressed.

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

Maj, if it's possible for you ( I hope it is ) have a look at the old Harbor... The original one where most of the Korthos quests where in place of the Inspired Quarters.
    Where Kobold Island was an explorer area ( without the name of explorer area ) that people stumbled upon by sheer luck.
    Where you had either to bribe the guard or go through the Low Road to leave the lower Harbor...
    Where you had the Euphonia's Challenges to learn what your class could do. ( and get killed as a rogue by the trap you were trying to disarm, because you dumped CON )

Korthos is a real paradise compared to that...

Now I agree that the change from the Old harbor removed the railroad that existed originally, when out of the lower Harbor you were sent to the Dinghy to do the quests there, then you graduated to the Lobster, and the pinnacle was hunting the Harbormaster in his house to get the letter of commendation ( by surviving Waterworks ) so that you could enter the Market ( without having to bribe the guard... again )

Maybe recreating that string of places to go and people to see is just what is needed.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by ProducerRowan View Post
    Hello! I’m Aaron Campbell, the new Franchise Director for Dungeons & Dragons Online.

Some of you may know me from The Lord of the Rings Online where I’ve managed production (most recently as Senior Producer) since 2006.

What on earth is Lord of the Rings Online? It it a cosmetic item I can equip and take on the Black Knight*?

*All hail the mighty JC
    Don't let common sense stop you...
    Qualified Devil's Advocate ` Refugee Boldrei '06 / Keeper '09

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Hello! I’m Aaron Campbell, the new Franchise Director for Dungeons & Dragons Online.
    Hi! Welcome to the madhouse :P

Some of you may know me from The Lord of the Rings Online where I’ve managed production (most recently as Senior Producer) since 2006. In reality I’ve only moved about four rows over, so I’m closer to Erik Boyer (Senior Producer Glin) than Kate Paiz (Executive Producer for LOTRO). Like always, I still see them both every morning.
    LOTRO...thats the game thats not DDO right...any chance you brought the visual cosmetics and crafting system with you...cause all we have right now is an under developed version of WoWs "Enchanter" craft class...although to be fair the cosmetic stuff DID just get a huge improvement.

My first day on the job, the DDO team gave me a trivia challenge. I’ve been playing D&D for almost 30 years now, but I barely passed. It went something like this….

Q: What is your favorite edition of D&D?
    A: AD&D 1st Edition, although I started with the red box “Basic” set.
    Is it weird playing the newer editions where your AC goes up instead of down?

Q: What is your favorite class?
    A: Paladin (the 1st Edition version, complete with vow of poverty)
    Paladin's are pretty cool I usually prefer them over fighters in PnP but unfortunately avoid them like the plague in the Infinity Engine and Neverwinter Nights games due to said Vow of Poverty...anyways the class could use some Love in DDO so hopefully your love of em will encourage some of that.

Q: What is your favorite setting?
    A: Dragonlance… no, Planescape. Auuugghh!*
    You heard it everyone Turbine is bringing DDO into Dragonlance...maybe even Planscape...lol I kid I kid. My two favorite settings are Eberron and Dragonlance (when it still has gods) I know the Gener-errr Forgotten Realms is quite popular just try not to forget Ebberon

We’ve got a great year planned for you, headed into 2014. Here are some highlights.

Update 19: The Shadowfell Conspiracy! Level cap to 28, new adventure areas in Wheloon and the Stormhorn mountains, and of course new Iconic races.
    I was dubious about the new Iconic races at first but the ability switch to a different class and the fact you not forced to level to 15 like Vet Status forces 4 and 7 makes it really great for playing Iconics with friends I can just roll my Bladeforged Pally up and go chill with some level 1s in Korthos than just level as they do. It's great for introducing new people to the game or helping them catch up to your other buddies regardless of their Level (Any chance this can be applied to Vet Status 4/7?)

Also a Warforged without a Cha penalty instead a Dex one OMG guess I know my next Battle Mage will be actually I'll likely be TRing my Dwarven Wizard/Fighter/Rogue "Wakut Mindfilleter" into a Bladeforged Sorc18/Pally2...normal TR for now...maaaaaybe Epic TR depending on changes.

I'll also likely make a Shadar-Kai Rogue once the new Sneaky update comes out to chill with my friends sneaky Druid/Rogue.

Oh and my friend is salivating over the Morninglord...it's really nice to see some Bludgeoning weapon love for the Cleric.

Not sure what I'll do with the PDK...ironically a Paladin18/Fighter2 build with Cha as his main stat might work....actually alot of builds take 2 Fighter for extra feats so this one will be quite flexible...maybe a Bard18/Fighter2 or Bard16/Fighter2/Bard2...although Skaldic rage will make the Barb splash less necessary since it doesn't stack so maybe a Bard16/Fighter4. I dunno that one will take me a bit to try out various builds...and for that reason alone I can't wait.

Update 20 (late 2013): Epic True Reincarnation! (We’re still gathering your feedback and input)
    If you haven't yet I suggest you check out Sigfried Trent's idea...he's the host of DDO-Cast and had some really good ideas

I'd post it hear but it's fairly long so here's a link: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5024405

Update 21 (early 2014): A new threat (complete with multiple dragons), and a tribute to a classic Forgotten Realms module.
    Ooooo...Dragons...Classic Module hmmmm....well Tomb of Horrors is Greyhawk so it's not that...I'm thinking probably from the Drizzt series his "curious" popularity is the reason were in FR...let's see any chance we'll be taking back Mithral Hall with Bruenor Battlehammer?

And more…
    OMG REALLY!!!!! WOOOOOO!!!! BEST DAY EVA!!!!!.....sorry I'm in a weird mood. :P

The team is thrilled to be going strong after over 7 years online, especially as we approach Dungeons & Dragons 40th Anniversary in 2014. We owe our success to you, our dedicated fans. Thank you for loving this game – we’ll keep making it bigger and better.
    To be honest for all the complaining,suggesting,etc. I do this is the only MMO I can stand...I love it because it's different I love that it's a proper active battle system without the annoying "reticule combat" other action MMO insist on, I love that there's flank, I love that it's DnD, I love that there's multi-classing...I can make a Wizard Tank or a Cleric that can take a beating, or a Bard that can wield a giant axe along with the barb his signing for. I love DDO.

About weapon types, we've discussed whips and chains. Shadar-Kai get the first taste of this. It fits thematically.
    Wait chains as in spiked chains as in we finally will be getting a 2-handed piercing weapon...woot

We've also discussed Gnomes, but the way we'd have to distort Dwarf bodies is quite disturbing and may violate the Geneva convention. So this one is not on the roadmap (at this point).
    Oh bummer...how about the highly requested Kobolds? (with "house ruled" stats of course -2Str, +2Cha or -2 Str/Con, +2 Dex/Cha...something like that)
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 07-02-2013 at 08:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Welcome to DDO
    There is no free lunch.

Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    This is the place that people bounce out of the game because they are give very little direction to go. It isn't a matter of retooling quests and whatnot but about streamlining the experience for a little while to get people into the deeper parts of the game, and help them understand how the quests were broken up in the mid game. There is such a dramatic dip at level 4, it needed to be addressed.
    IMO, after the bravery bonus was implemented, new players were not thought about. New players, short of jumping in as ViPs, probably the exception, cannot open quests on anything but normal. From my experience, across every server, running Korthos, the Harbor and Marketplace on Normal, at any time of day, is a lonely experience. You can join Hard and Elite runs, sometimes - but they are zerg fests and there appears to be a high level of intolerance for new players and mistakes. When I have been able to speak with players who were brave enough to let me know they were new, they were extremely grateful to get advice and feedback.

I believe you need to give vets incentives to take new players in hand and not penalize them for 'slumming'. Whether this involves tweaking the bravery bonus or redoing xp in general, that is where the heart of the problem lies, imo. This is an MMO, I believe it should be encouraging grouping, not discouraging.

The devs corrected themselves a long time ago and took away death penalties, clearly understanding how negative it was. To me, for example, losing xp in a quest due to a death - everyone rolls a 1 - is not a positive, especially when you see players yelling at each other about it. Adding more quest post boxes or bright arrows (ala NW) is not attacking the problem at the heart of the new player experience. Maj, I encourage you (or anyone else) to roll a new character on other servers, no twinking, and run Normal only - use open lfms and say all welcome and see what happens. When I am finished with this process (getting all my characters to level 7; the Vet II, option), I will post my results; I am probably a little more than half way done. The bottom line for me so far is that for an MMO, the grouping friendliness is not where it should be in DDO.
    Gamma Tester, Dungeons & Dragons Online
    Beta Tester, DDO: Eberron Unlimited
    Alpha Tester, DDO: Stormreach

Welcome and thanks to talk with us!

Community Member

it's about reworking the Harbor. This is the place that people bounce out of the game because they are give very little direction to go. It isn't a matter of retooling quests and whatnot but about streamlining the experience for a little while to get people into the deeper parts of the game, and help them understand how the quests were broken up in the mid game. There is such a dramatic dip at level 4, it needed to be addressed.
    one of the biggest missing elements to newbie training is telling them about DDO's fantastic grouping tool. many MMO players have no such expectation that such a tool should even exist.

i've sent many an /advice message selling the benefits of the grouping tool to newbies trying to party up in general. initially there doesnt seem much use for it when everyone at your level is in the same chat zone, so i always make the point that the grouping tool will reach server wide for when you are out of the starter areas
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Play DDO in 3D, for fweeeee! how to use coloured 3D glasses with DDO.
    East? West? Which way's that? Putting East and West back on the (mini)map
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!

Another thing to address is that when someone uses a search engine to find out information about DDO, maybe even before they set foot in the world, the search results lead to mostly 404 errors. And I'm not referring the ex-employee. That looks bad. Way worse than the 7 year old harbor. The forum change really screwed a lot of stuff up. Badly. You should fix that.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hafeal View Post
    IMO, after the bravery bonus was implemented, new players were not thought about. New players, short of jumping in as ViPs, probably the exception, cannot open quests on anything but normal. From my experience, across every server, running Korthos, the Harbor and Marketplace on Normal, at any time of day, is a lonely experience. You can join Hard and Elite runs, sometimes - but they are zerg fests and there appears to be a high level of intolerance for new players and mistakes. When I have been able to speak with players who were brave enough to let me know they were new, they were extremely grateful to get advice and feedback.

I believe you need to give vets incentives to take new players in hand and not penalize them for 'slumming'. Whether this involves tweaking the bravery bonus or redoing xp in general, that is where the heart of the problem lies, imo. This is an MMO, I believe it should be encouraging grouping, not discouraging.

The devs corrected themselves a long time ago and took away death penalties, clearly understanding how negative it was. To me, for example, losing xp in a quest due to a death - everyone rolls a 1 - is not a positive, especially when you see players yelling at each other about it. Adding more quest post boxes or bright arrows (ala NW) is not attacking the problem at the heart of the new player experience. Maj, I encourage you (or anyone else) to roll a new character on other servers, no twinking, and run Normal only - use open lfms and say all welcome and see what happens. When I am finished with this process (getting all my characters to level 7; the Vet II, option), I will post my results; I am probably a little more than half way done. The bottom line for me so far is that for an MMO, the grouping friendliness is not where it should be in DDO.
    Any bonus they can give to a vet grouping with a new player can also be obtained by my new FTP account that I box and ignore the noobs with.

So, may we lynch the new Producer when we're angry? Or are we to be limited to these darned forum posts, expressing rage through caps and exclamation marks? (Please say yes! I'll even buy a pitchfork from the DDO store!)

In regards to this "dramatic drop" stated by MajMalphunktion, I posted yet another text well. I don't try to, but something about these forums makes me go into high-school-essay mode.

In regards to new players, I started playing DDO recent enough that I remember a good deal.
    I don't know why you're reworking the harbor, at all. Once I understood more about the game (and had a stock of pots) harbor was fun. I have a MMORPG background, which is part of it. (Well. That and I wanted to play with my gf, to spend more time with her. So I would've dealt with the hell of early-game for that. And no, she's mine. You cannot haz her!)

That drop-off of players you mention? I'd argue that's due to poor planning on your side. Partly due to updates affecting game play, but none the less, still something that you should take the blame for.
    New players have these options. 1) Solo. Not fun, soloing is just boring. 2) Join a normal/hard Korthos/Harbor group. Rare. I've seen very few on any life. 3) Join elite runs with TR trains.

I almost quit, simply due to how frustrating elite was with no gear to speak of, but I wanted to play with my girl (can ya blame me?). Also, I figured it'd get better. It did, eventually.

My recommendations: Change the creation. The paths are flawed and down-right outdated. I actually chose one, I completely regret it. Change the info on abilities: I thought dex was GOOD on a Tempest ranger (I wanted DPS). Dex is good in a wizard for AC? Hah! Ditto on skills. Y u no mention UMD?

Change the starter gear: Even adding acid instead of acid touch (irrc) would be nice. Some better gear than +5 hp. Really? These people are pretty much forced to play with TR's on elite. Even the non-zergs aren't noob friendly, sadly enough. Good gear would ease the transition.
    Give new players potions, just do it. They need them, and they can't afford cure serious. 500 Cure Moderate Wounds would've helped so much.

Consider changing the BB system. If I don't run elite, I'm wasting time. If I do, new players are pushed aside.
    If I could run normal with a new person and TEACH them, without slowing down TR time, ruining streaks, etc, I would.

While I'll teach any new player, as much as I can, I shouldn't need to explain the basics. I shouldn't have to tell a wizard to dump dex. That should've been explained in the creation process. I want to keep new players, they're the blood of any MMO. Just make it easier to help them, that's all I really want. Better gear, better BB system, better pre-set paths. Please.

On another note, I had NEVER heard of DDO before my gf admitted she was as nerdy as me, and told me about it. (More so, D&D is for nerds, we all know this!) I'm very pleased to see DDO Shadowfell Conspiracy banners on some websites now. (Or is that just being filtered for me? Damn the modern internet!) If you read this far, thanks.

Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ytuy View Post
    Any bonus they can give to a vet grouping with a new player can also be obtained by my new FTP account that I box and ignore the noobs with.
    I not sure what you are saying. There are many solutions, some which may apply to what you are saying, some which would not. I do not think you appear to be the type of vet who would be targeted. If you wish to TR and zerg early and avoid noobs, you always have that option. I know many vets who would slow their roll and help - if- it didn't mean breaking "their streak." See Soulfurnace's post as an example.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfurnace View Post
    I don't know why you're reworking the harbor, at all. Once I understood more about the game (and had a stock of pots) harbor was fun.
    I agree; the Harbor, per se, is not the problem.

New players have these options. 1) Solo. Not fun, soloing is just boring. 2) Join a normal/hard Korthos/Harbor group. Rare. I've seen very few on any life. 3) Join elite runs with TR trains.

I almost quit, simply due to how frustrating elite was with no gear to speak of, but I wanted to play with my girl (can ya blame me?). Also, I figured it'd get better. It did, eventually.
    This again re-affirms what I have been seeing for new players. Thanks for sticking through - many do not.

My recommendations: Change the creation. The paths are flawed and down-right outdated. I actually chose one, I completely regret it. Change the info on abilities: I thought dex was GOOD on a Tempest ranger (I wanted DPS). Dex is good in a wizard for AC? Hah! Ditto on skills. Y u no mention UMD? ... While I'll teach any new player, as much as I can, I shouldn't need to explain the basics. I shouldn't have to tell a wizard to dump dex. That should've been explained in the creation process. I want to keep new players, they're the blood of any MMO. Just make it easier to help them, that's all I really want. Better gear, better BB system, better pre-set paths. Please.
    I have long advocated for an official character planner as well. Even if we have to pay for it. In a game as complicated as DDO is (and has become), it is a complete and utter failure not to have an official planner, with all due respect to Ron and his great efforts.

Consider changing the BB system. If I don't run elite, I'm wasting time. If I do, new players are pushed aside.If I could run normal with a new person and TEACH them, without slowing down TR time, ruining streaks, etc, I would.
    Yes, the entire xp system could use a recall. It has needed one for a long time. The patching over the years has been disproportionate.

Well said Soulfurnace, +1; thanks for posting.
    Gamma Tester, Dungeons & Dragons Online
    Beta Tester, DDO: Eberron Unlimited
    Alpha Tester, DDO: Stormreach

Community Member

Agreed 100% to what was said here.

Hey Aaron! Welcome to our side of the fence! The grass may not be greener, but it is at least still there.

Got a quick question about your letter. You showed something of a timeline for upcoming updates. I noted that after the x-pac, there was no new content mentioned until 2014. Am I to interpret this as really no new content until then? Just a yes-no answer is needed if there is something you aren't ready to speak of just yet.

Another question: I noted on logging in today that the WB logo disappeared from the initial DDO page. Is this trying to tell us something?
    Orien: Zizie, Zeelee, Zeeny, Zeety, Zeleste, Zeeby
    ?

^This
    Orien: Zizie, Zeelee, Zeeny, Zeety, Zeleste, Zeeby
    ?

Franchise Director ProducerRowan's Avatar

Confirmed, our tribute module is Haunted Halls of Eveningstar.

Expect this to be at a higher level than the original module.

Community Member

Lightbulb

Change the starter gear: Even adding acid instead of acid touch (irrc) would be nice. Some better gear than +5 hp. Really? These people are pretty much forced to play with TR's on elite. Even the non-zergs aren't noob friendly, sadly enough. Good gear would ease the transition.
    Give new players potions, just do it. They need them, and they can't afford cure serious. 500 Cure Moderate Wounds would've helped so much.
    Simply steal those Lock Boxes they have in Neverwinter! Means on level 1 you get a clickable chest/lockbox that when you open it contains things like: 500 Cure Moderate Pots, 50 Remove Curse/Disease/Poison/Para Pots, 50 Lesser Restoration pots and so on. And in this chest there is another that you can open at level X where you then get lets say Cure Serious pots and so on. You could throw in some DDO Store gear in small amounts to show them off and useful items ppl should have while leveling up. This would help newbies and even give you the opportunity to show them advertise some DDO Store Stuff. Perhaps you could include short guest passes that ppl can use on themselves to test content and see if they like to buy them.

On another note, I had NEVER heard of DDO before my gf admitted she was as nerdy as me, and told me about it. (More so, D&D is for nerds, we all know this!) I'm very pleased to see DDO Shadowfell Conspiracy banners on some websites now. (Or is that just being filtered for me? Damn the modern internet!) If you read this far, thanks.
    Yesterday I went to the official wizards of the coast DND page. And all over the place they have advertisments for Neverwinter Online. Really did they had those for DDO or can't they put some up, too? You have to catch people that drop out of Neverwinter, and they are, and get them to try DDO. Neverwinter is hardly lacking in end game content and people are moaining all over their forums. Do something to catch those people advertise as an alternative game with a great D&D Lisence that includes Faerun/Forgotten Realms stuff and with content that got more and more over 7 years. Sure your graphics are kind of worse, except for the new dragons, props for this, but still your game has a lots that people might like better than Neverwinter Online which is advertised all over the place

Greets,

Broken One

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by susiedupfer View Post
    Another question: I noted on logging in today that the WB logo disappeared from the initial DDO page. Is this trying to tell us something?
    I suspect it means they are fully integrated now... a brief tour at the bottom of this page told me that Turbine and it's Logo are Trademarks or Registered Trademarks of WB...
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

First off Welcome to the game

Secondly I am going to beat a dead horse one more time since you are a fresh face. Please consider working a revamp of the Inventory UI into the plans for this game.

Suggestions:
    1. Account wide Inventory UI with item swapping between characters
    2. Flexible Search Tools. Search by item type, level range, status (bta, btc)
    3. Different shared storage options for ingredients and collectibles.

This game promotes swapping items between your characters. Spending game time logging in and out of a dozen (or in my case two dozen) different toons just to find something is painful....

Thanks
    Argonessenn -Officer of Storm Shadow-
    Olen Anteres

Confirmed, our tribute module is Haunted Halls of Eveningstar.

Expect this to be at a higher level than the original module.

/mancrush!

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wik...of_Eveningstar
    Last edited by Hendrik; 07-02-2013 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hsinclair
    I heard the devs hate all wizards, bards, clerics, fighters, and fuzzy bunnies and only want us to play halfling barbarian/paladin shuriken specialists!

It's totally true, I have a reliable source. You better reroll now.
    Adventurer, Bug Reporter, Mournlander.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast