Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Hello Aaron Good to meet you and I hope to hear more about the game's future soon. I haven't bought the new expansion yet (although I probably will eventually) as I'm one of those who find the FR environment to be a bit ... generic for want of a better word. I hope some love will still be given to the Eberron setting in the future.

Anyway, good luck with your new role at DDO =)

Beth

Quote Originally Posted by Gratch View Post
    One thing I've wanted in DDO (if we can't have user created dungeons due to the engine/tool set complexity):

PVE Team vs Team Dungeons. 6v6 race to the dungeon's end. Along the way each side can see but not DIRECTLY interact with the other... but you can indirectly use levers/puzzles/cannons/cause traps/summons to delay the other team. Both sides get some reward but only the first place gets to fight the final boss.
    This and meaningful PVP. At it's simplest:
    Party forms as a raid, is then split into groups 1 & 2;
    Evil wizard hires group 1 to carry out his dastardly plan, while good wizard hires group 2 to thwart them.
    Overly simplistic story approach, but you get the idea...
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow - btw, do you have change for 10 million population?

Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

Default Welcome and good luck

Welcome, Aaron. I say it reservedly. I am still playing but not spending. That is feeling I get from many on every server; in March I started level 1 characters and been playing them up on every server to get a feel what the game is like for (the very few) new players who are coming in. It is disheartening. The fact that you are here tells me the problem is noticeable enough that management is looking to change the course of the ship. I hope you are the captain to see DDO through the choppy waters it is in now.

There have been some great points in this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Kamode_Corebasher View Post
    I second this post...heartily.
    I will 3rd it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamode_Corebasher View Post
    To expand my thoughts to this statement, DDO currently feels strictly like it's trying to make the quick buck with the least effort. Seriously. The game has felt this way since [edit for my op: f2p was introduced]. I find this feeling bad. I believe new players and old players who are not staying with this game, would stay if you focused more marketing and resources to fixes and quality. The sales will happen on their own...you really don't need all the force-feeding of the DDO Store sales. <-- please read that sentence more than once.
    Amen brother.

I would also like to add, contrary to many forum posters probably, that more than end game needs help. New players start at the beginning. Ignoring adding content to the beginning and middle game is a problem, especially when it does not incorporate new features, updates, fixes, tweaks and technological updates.

As a fellow 1st Edition players, pnp D&D questing was like a pyramid, more quests and time was spent at the bottom than the top. Lately, the game turned to rushing players to the top, encouraging them not to play content, and leaving them bored and complaining. As the playerbase shrunk and it seemed harder to apparently draw players in, there has been nothing but constant attention to end game tweaks - even as those very players leave.

In addition to more communication, a distinct and clearly laid out vision, making the game repeatable, from beginning to end, to me, is more important than trying to make end game players happy - that is pure fools gold. You will never give enough power or create enough of content for those players. Add in that higher level quests are much harder to make than lower level, you need another way. Which brings me to this - imitation is the sincerest form of flattery; please consider a Foundry system for DDO. Make it a pay system, but make it. Let the player DMs be DMs, and I think you will unlock a key feature to draw many former players back.

You have a great game with tremendous upside, I wish all the luck in making DDO a much more successful MMO.
    Last edited by Hafeal; 07-01-2013 at 09:31 PM.
    The evolution of DDO: Stormreach to Eberron Unlimited to Dungeons & Dragons Online
    -1- -2- -3- -4- -5- -6- -7- -8- -9- years & still spawning kobolds
    Who are the devs anyway? DDO Peeps Tracker

Welcome new guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hafeal View Post
    I would also like to add, contrary to many forum posters probably, that more than end game needs help. New players start at the beginning. Ignoring adding content to the beginning and middle game is a problem, especially when it does not incorporate new features, updates, fixes, tweaks and technological updates.
    In 2012-2013 we've seen changes to Korthos, low level named items reworked and low level item augments introduced. I'd say that's enough work on the low levels. The number of low level quests and wilderness areas is huge compared to the mid-high levels and epics. Players spend much more time at lvl 15+ than at lvl 1-5.

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    The Stormreach Campaign
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Welcome aboard.

I'll take it as a positive that the DDO team are getting an experienced head from the other side of the office. Hopefully this will be a residency and not a sabbatical

Given the outcry over the initial discussion of the Epic TR system, can we get confirmation that it will NOT be implemented as it was initially advertised? I appreciate that you can't give a definitive statement on what shape Epic TR will be in right now, because it'll get thrown back at you, but I'd like think that you would be able to confirm just two key points
    1. Heroic TRing will remain unchanged and work exactly as it is.
    2. Epic TRing will not wipe all "unbonded" Epic Destiny XP in return for Advantage - some new system will be devised for this, to be revealed later.

Community Member

Hi Welcome

Welcome !
    " Elize Ryd - Officer @ Band of Gypsys "

" Trapped in my skin - See the nexus in my dreams - But will you bury me within? "

Amaranthe - The NeXuS

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    This and meaningful PVP. At it's simplest:
    Party forms as a raid, is then split into groups 1 & 2;
    Evil wizard hires group 1 to carry out his dastardly plan, while good wizard hires group 2 to thwart them.
    Overly simplistic story approach, but you get the idea...
    Sorry but the fact that they wasted dev time in Module 1 to add in PvP is what caused gaps in other improvements back in 2006. No more PvP for DDO, it was not designed for it, and should stop pretending as something that has it.

Dev time needs to be spent on:
    lower level Forgotten Realms,
    more end game Eberron,
    fixing old bugs,
    proper crafting (you know like casters being able to make spells into potions, something useful),
    Gnomes,
    Illusionist,
    Psionics,
    and fixing old bugs.
    The Great Gnome Conspiracy was here!

Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Ykt View Post

In 2012-2013 we've seen changes to Korthos, low level named items reworked and low level item augments introduced. I'd say that's enough work on the low levels. The number of low level quests and wilderness areas is huge compared to the mid-high levels and epics. Players spend much more time at lvl 15+ than at lvl 1-5.

I disagree and work on Korthos alone hardly qualifies for what I was discussing, including midlevels to high midlevels (5-20). New players to the game also do not recognize what you are talking about. They think augments were always there - if anything, for vets, augments were really just enticement to re-run old content. In addition, someone new probably doesn't know NW essentially copies DDO's opening scene - but they likely think NW version is graphically nicer. If we can make a beautiful FR realm, let's have one like it at low levels to keep the graphic appeal. Making graphically appealing great content at low & mid level is as important to entice new players and keep them playing as to keep end game players happy.

In addition, TRing becomes much more fun, for example, with larger choices of low and mid level quests. Of course, let's note we also have an issue with bravery bonus - we should not be penalizing players for running normal with new players or deciding to halt a streak to help guildies out.

You spend more time at 15+. I can't speak for most players - only Turbine has the numbers. My guess though, is that many players have spent a lot more time at sub 20 than above, especially if they TR and only do so once or twice with a character. I would think so because most players are casual. Power gamers, end gamers if you like, are a minority; sure they want to be catered to, they want power and content to show off. That is a battle no MMO can win.

Again, I have never seen most end game players happy in DDO. Ever. Whether it has been level caps, lack of content, lack of challenge, too much challenge, loot nerfs, raid loot drama, epic drop rates, raids, etc. End game is not to be forgotten but it has been too much the focus for 2 years now; largely because of the decision to incorporate FR and make it 15+, no doubt. If we care about bringing in new players, and keeping them, I think the game needs attention and to be more appealing before they get to 20. Especially for casual players and most particularly casual players willing to spend a few dollars here and there.
    Last edited by Hafeal; 07-01-2013 at 09:24 PM.
    The evolution of DDO: Stormreach to Eberron Unlimited to Dungeons & Dragons Online
    -1- -2- -3- -4- -5- -6- -7- -8- -9- years & still spawning kobolds
    Who are the devs anyway? DDO Peeps Tracker

Quote Originally Posted by ProducerRowan View Post
    Q: What is your favorite setting?
    A: Dragonlance… no, Planescape. Auuugghh!*
    Hi Aaron. This is my favorite too. Good call! I look forward to reading more about what your plans are for our game we all love!

Community Member

Hello! I’m Aaron Campbell, the new Franchise Director for Dungeons & Dragons Online.

Some of you may know me from The Lord of the Rings Online where I’ve managed production (most recently as Senior Producer) since 2006. In reality I’ve only moved about four rows over, so I’m closer to Erik Boyer (Senior Producer Glin) than Kate Paiz (Executive Producer for LOTRO). Like always, I still see them both every morning.

My first day on the job, the DDO team gave me a trivia challenge. I’ve been playing D&D for almost 30 years now, but I barely passed. It went something like this….

Q: What is your favorite edition of D&D?
    A: AD&D 1st Edition, although I started with the red box “Basic” set.
    Q: What is your favorite class?
    A: Paladin (the 1st Edition version, complete with vow of poverty)

We’ve got a great year planned for you, headed into 2014. Here are some highlights.

Update 19: The Shadowfell Conspiracy! Level cap to 28, new adventure areas in Wheloon and the Stormhorn mountains, and of course new Iconic races.
    Update 20 (late 2013): Epic True Reincarnation! (We’re still gathering your feedback and input)
    Update 21 (early 2014): A new threat (complete with multiple dragons), and a tribute to a classic Forgotten Realms module.

And more…

The team is thrilled to be going strong after over 7 years online, especially as we approach Dungeons & Dragons 40th Anniversary in 2014. We owe our success to you, our dedicated fans. Thank you for loving this game – we’ll keep making it bigger and better.

*All respect to Monty Python.
    Can we ever hope to get a playable monstrous race, i.e., kobolds? I still remember when I first worked my way out of the tutorial into the game at large and was faced with the little kobold class trainer there, for sorcs I think, and I felt so sad I couldn't play one myself.

Community Member

Congratulations on your new role and thank you for taking the time to interact with us here on the forums.

I am looking forward to all 3 releases, especially update 20 with epic TR capabilities. Be sure to read the Monday Morning with Major Mal thread. I think it has a lot of good feedback on various topics from many people so I won't bother repeating the ideas here.
    CC Casting Druid: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...C-Summer-Build
    Shiradi Wiz Plan for 1st Lifers: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...r-First-Lifers
    LE Capable Int Assassin - U29: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...Assassin-Build
    Warlock DC Caster: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ld-Blast-Build

Several characters on Sarlona all starting with "Rand" in the Guild "Guardians of House Cannith". My main four characters are Randowl (20 Warlock EA DPS Build), Randslar (Bard 14 / Fighter 4 / Rogue 2 Swashbuckler), Randek (Druid CC Caster 17/Fvs 3) and Randomall (Rogue 20 assassin).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flavilandile View Post
    Welcome,

7) Did you smoke/drink/eat what the Kobold known as Major Malphunktion gave all the rest of the team so that they actually started to talk to us ?
    I see this posted a lot, and I'm guessing people here don't really understand what game devs maybe do or something. Do you really want the *entire* team to spend large fractions of their EVERY work day reading hundreds of redundant posts, just so they can see *your* one post about some particular bug or another that annoys you? There are workflows for a reason, and you're basically asking for devs to spend all day talking to you and listening to your biggest gripes, all with times that would be put towards fixing *everything* that has been reported and worked on. It's much better to have a couple forum reps that do the large portion of all the back-and-forth with the players, because it's a very time consuming position. The ratio of noise, static, and redundancy to useful feedback from players on this forum is dramatically skewed.

It's always nice for devs to have an invested involvement with communicating with players, but to imply that the *entire* team should be on the forums reading every thread and personally responding to every thread is such a monumental waste of their time and would slow things down more than fix anything faster. Players don't see any of the back-end plans, pressures, or fixes that go in frequently. People see X problem that affects themselves and prioritize it above and beyond everything else, devs have to balance that against every other player having some problem that's major to them, while also continuing to build/expand on everything else without breaking everything.

I'm not making excuses, mind you, devs can definitely do poorly at these tasks, but implying that the team spend half their days farting on the fourms would be helpful is pretty misguided.

I would just like to chime in here and say that over the last month the level of developer feedback and interaction with the players both on the forums and in general has been phenomenal compared to the last two years. PLEASE KEEP IT UP! I am really happy the dev team has changed tack a bit on the Epic TR system based on player feedback and I am really looking forward to the enhancement pass. It didn't look that impressive when it was first rolled out, but you have incorporated a lot of the suggestions which I personally felt were the best direction for the game. Developer interaction is so nice to have in an evolving game. If you have the power, I would offer incentives for more developer interaction. Some suggestions:
    1) More Q&As in Lammania.
    2) Even though the player feedback on the original Epic TR idea was almost universally negative, you showed us what you were brainstorming before implementing it. KUDOS! I would love to see more of this for large-scale changes to the game.
    3) Make the barrier for entry into Lammania easier so we can actually test what you are building. The dojo is a step in the right direction. A way to provide easy access to equipment would help things drastically. Drop rates of 100% on end reward lists in Lammania for all named loot in the quest would be a great start.

Default welcome

this game used to kick ass, now there is no way i would want any of my friends to play. games been hurting for awhile now, big list of bugs. gets nothing but bigger. most of the old devs dont talk to us much. so please try to fix this mess.

Hello! I’m Aaron Campbell, the new Franchise Director for Dungeons & Dragons Online.

*snip*

*snip*

*All respect to Monty Python.
    Does this mean we might see "2014 Expansion Pack #3: Sigil - the City of Doors"? *_*

This would be really, really awesome as Planescape is my favorite setting too
    Argonessen (mains):
    Myriellah (Stargazer II), Xryn (Pale Master), Ryaleen (Air Savant), Mayeena (Assassin)
    Leader and founder of the ShadowThieves guild

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hafeal View Post

As a fellow 1st Edition players, pnp D&D questing was like a pyramid, more quests and time was spent at the bottom than the top. Lately, the game turned to rushing players to the top, encouraging them not to play content, and leaving them bored and complaining. As the playerbase shrunk and it seemed harder to apparently draw players in, there has been nothing but constant attention to end game tweaks - even as those very players leave.

In addition to more communication, a distinct and clearly laid out vision, making the game repeatable, from beginning to end, to me, is more important than trying to make end game players happy - that is pure fools gold. You will never give enough power or create enough of content for those players. Add in that higher level quests are much harder to make than lower level, you need another way. Which brings me to this - imitation is the sincerest form of flattery; please consider a Foundry system for DDO. Make it a pay system, but make it. Let the player DMs be DMs, and I think you will unlock a key feature to draw many former players back.

You have a great game with tremendous upside, I wish all the luck in making DDO a much more successful MMO.
    Welcome to DDO!

I have to largely agree with the above post. While work on endgame is important, it's easy to overlook early and mid-game. Even as iconics are being implemented, new efforts at TR are coming as well, and the fact of the matter is that as it stands, half the fun is that after a while of playing the same old build we can go throuhg it all again with a new, more powerful build. This gets tedious after a bit, however. The point is, TR means many people going through the same content again, along with new people coming for the first time, and work for those people in mind as well certainly should be thought of.

As for the Foundry idea, I have to say that I did spend a little time with Neverwinter, and Foundry was, in fact, the best thing there. I won't lie, it doesn't look easy for producers to put together, but the end result is incredible. I believe Foundry here could be even better than Neverwinter's, in fact, as Neverwinter seems somewhat simplistically built.

I'm also excited at the idea of Psionicists as well as Monstrous Races (and not just the really humanoid ones... *Imagines playing a beholder*), but from what I'm hearing from people there are a lot of problems to be tackled in the here and now. If you need ideas, definately continue this "feedback" thing, as I've seen people bring some great ones to the table.

I heard, as well (and correct me if I'm wrong), that Turbine is owned by Warner Brothers, and that DDO is rather... undersupplied by them. If this is true, than I would like to add an additional good luck to the base good luck I'm about to give, as well as a caution, that as you try to make up for said lack of supply, you don't drive your players away; people tend not to react well towards acts of robbery or financial vampirism.

I also heard rumor of a worrying amount of enjoyment of 4th edition on the team... glad to hear you're for 1st edition AD&D.

Ah, now that I got all that off my chest, I must end with saying that I approach this new age of your reign with cautious optimism, and hope you can repair, reshine, restabilize,and enhance DDO to greater glory.

Good luck!

Default Friends

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    HI WELC..ahem :::looks over his shoulder for the banhammer...:::

Yes this producer guy "Aaron"(what kind of non de plume name is that?) and I (Major Malphunktion is a far more proper name) go back a few years. Personally I'm psyched to be working with him again.
    If he's another Bruins/Patriots fan then I'm outta here.

Go Habs!

Go Broncos!!!

At any rate, Happy Canada day to both of you and the rest of the Turbine team. Welcome aboard "Aaron".
    Bronko Lawbringer
    Founder, Guild Leader, & Official Meat Shield™ of THAC0 on Ghallanda

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    Make Gazebo cry.
    www.thaczero.net

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

Setting myself up for failure here, but I'll take my best shot.

[...]

In short, I'll work with the team to build the best game we can (based on the extensive history of DDO) while still adding things that are fresh and new. The game should keep its soul but not stagnate. [...]

Thanks for the answer, it's a nice change to actually have somebody that answers.

I suspect most of us here are agreeing with the fact that the game needs to evolve, but some of the changes in the process to be done have us worried... well extremely worried. Changes for the sake of change is bad, Changes forced on us for the sake of change are worse than bad.
    Changes with a back and forth discussion and a general agreement are Good. Sorry, but the Enhancement Pass and the First drop on the Epic TR idea both fall in the first category ( Bad Changes )
    Last edited by Flavilandile; 07-02-2013 at 04:11 AM.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Hi welcome!

MajMal was pretty excited about you taking the helm on those other forums we're not alowed to mention here. He said things were going for the better. Bear in mind this sets the expectation bar pretty high, as last year was full of dissapointment.

Your communication is much appreciated and hopefully you'll bring back the shine.

P.S. Some of us are still waiting for the 2nd raid that we pre-paid for which was promised in the MotU expansion.
    =$==$==$==$==$==$==$==ORIEN==$==$==$==$==$==$==$=
    Darthwolf **(?_?) Zendarth m(?_?m) Darthnoheals \(?_?)
    =$==$==$==$==$==$==House Do'Urden==$==$==$==$==$==$=

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast