Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    it's about reworking the Harbor. This is the place that people bounce out of the game because they are give very little direction to go. It isn't a matter of retooling quests and whatnot but about streamlining the experience for a little while to get people into the deeper parts of the game, and help them understand how the quests were broken up in the mid game. There is such a dramatic dip at level 4, it needed to be addressed.
    If that is your goal,

Consider making past life feat scale better.
    TR are demi gods in the harbor, not so much at epic levels.
    Fine tune the power curve.

Consider dumping purchasable past life feats while improving auto grant scaling.
    You might need to recycle those ideas as you are going to be tripling or more the number of past
    life auto grants someday.

Default i had to log in for this one...

Quote Originally Posted by ProducerRowan View Post
    Confirmed, our tribute module is Haunted Halls of Eveningstar.

I realize it takes away your current story scenarios (like they really get fleshed out anyway) but I would love that every other/third update would be an original 'old school' D&D module straight from the archives to our desktops.. that i'd pay $10 a module to add the content, VIP or not. It gets to the core of what this game is SUPPOSED to be about! you don't need to come up with a story line the Campaign is set just add loot and graphics!

I say hold a contest where players submit their favorite Campaign, level modifier if needed and loot that would drop! Winner gets to work /add input with the designers as their Campaign is created...
    Last edited by Zzevel; 07-02-2013 at 01:44 PM.

Community Member

Expect this to be at a higher level than the original module.
    Great choice!

Any chance of Ed Greenwood DMing this?
    Glenalth Woodwalke ■ Preston the Ranger ■ Brisqoe the Dentist ■ Prescription Liberator
    AoK @ Argonnessen

Community Member

Default Hope, if not credulity

Setting myself up for failure here, but I'll take my best shot.

1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Usually
    4. Yes
    5. Within reason
    6. Fix first, finish second
    7. Mal is an old friend, I passed the treats around
    Welcome, and I sincerely hope you can pull this off. We've heard the empty promises of "Improved quality of life" and "better communication", so pardon the skepticism you'll encounter here, we really do want you to succeed.

I think #6 is key, DDO is a Cadillac of a game that your predecessor drove for 100,000 miles without changing the oil. I play Neverwinter now, along with my entire guild. A guild, I might add, that has spent over $1000 on DDO over the past years. In fact, I'm delighted Neverwinter Gateway had maintenence today or I would have been there at lunch instead of here and I would have missed your post entirely. I've been hoping for just such a message for a year now, and just when I'd given up here it is!

If you really do fix up the game, I know I'd come back, and I think most of my guild would as well. We'll be checking back to see how you're doing, and if in 6 months you're still active in the forums and seem to be keeping your promises maybe we'll come back and give it a run.

I'd like to leave you with a caution I haven't seen voiced much here, and that's to be careful of too frequent changes. This game's biggest competetive advantage is its complexety, it rewards people who plan out their characters months in advance. If you make frequent changes to the rules, you break people's characters before they even get to finish them, and that's just frustrating. Similarly, if you leave something broken for months that they planned their build around, that's frustrating. Nobody plays a game for frustration.

I like what you've said here, and I like that you've stayed in the conversation.

Good luck, and may the Silver Flame light your path
    I'm only an occasional player since ShadowFell, please forgive me if I'm not up to speed on anything that's changed since then.

Founder

Welcome Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Broken_0ne View Post
    Simply steal those Lock Boxes they have in Neverwinter! Means on level 1 you get a clickable chest/lockbox that when you open it contains things like: 500 Cure Moderate Pots, 50 Remove Curse/Disease/Poison/Para Pots, 50 Lesser Restoration pots and so on. And in this chest there is another that you can open at level X where you then get lets say Cure Serious pots and so on. You could throw in some DDO Store gear in small amounts to show them off and useful items ppl should have while leveling up. This would help newbies and even give you the opportunity to show them advertise some DDO Store Stuff. Perhaps you could include short guest passes that ppl can use on themselves to test content and see if they like to buy them.
    LotRO has similar "leveling" boxes.

Welcome to our "humble" home Aaron but it should be prudent that you pick a more DDO name as you are setting an example for all of your employee's and customers. Maybe "Sage", "Traveler". "Storyteller" or some other appropriate surname.

Anyways, welcome and good luck.

Somewhere in the land of rain, trees, and flannel. Could it get any worse? lol

Setting myself up for failure here, but I'll take my best shot.

1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Usually
    4. Yes
    5. Within reason
    6. Fix first, finish second
    7. Mal is an old friend, I passed the treats around

In short, I'll work with the team to build the best game we can (based on the extensive history of DDO) while still adding things that are fresh and new. The game should keep its soul but not stagnate.

Take Epic TR as an example. Our goal is to build another system that people enjoy (like TR) but leverages all the types of advancement we have in the game (Epic Destinies). Your feedback has already changed the team's approach to this features, which is why we're evaluating multiple approaches to respect the investment you've already made and design a feature that is fun but doesn't feel punishing.

It could have been more elegant, but we'll make choices around the game as it is.
    Oh dear, you might have not wanted to share that you have those kinds of powers. But, too late now so welcome to the jungle Producer Rowan; please don't feed any of the animals, keep your arms and legs inside the car and watch out for troll crossings.
    Khyber - Flirtybratt (8/6/6 rogue/ranger/monk), Bratttt (pure rogue assassin) & various other toons with brat in the name. I am, of course, the brat in BrattyTop!

Of course it will be. Cause the Gods of Eberron forbade the creation of any new low- or mid-level content.

All the New Things need to be for high levels (and let us not forget the ultra-uber-wondrous-special Epic levels). Cause we all enjoy it so much TRing and going back to level one, life after life after life....and running though the same content again...and again...and again.......
    All that is wrong with DDO, life, taxes, poltics, religion, music, fast food, education, the criminal justice system, the weather, society, the universe, and previously-discontinued-but-now-on-their-way-back snack cakes, is all the fault of Wizards of the Coast. I know this because Fred told me so, and Mind Flayers are smart.

Community Member

Iirc, the 1992 version was low level (1-5?). Just how much higher will the tribute module be? If you can say, that is.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

So I went and read about what this was. I understand the nostalgia factor for players that played this as a pnp campaign. That said, I can not imagine a way this could turn out in a creative way in a video game that is set up the way ddo is at anything other than korthos/harbor level. The design that is talked about in the descriptions of the module I read are very low level and honestly boring to high level toons of a fast paced action game. It works as a pnp campaign but I really don't see how it could work and be engaging and fun for high level toons in ddo. You have your work cut out for you to make this good as you are starting on a shaky foundation with this pack.

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tscheuss View Post
    Iirc, the 1992 version was low level (1-5?). Just how much higher will the tribute module be? If you can say, that is.
    At a guess I'd make it 10-15... They have been lowering the level of Eveningstar sided quests regularly since MoTU.
    That's the next range to cover after Shadowfail is out.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Community Member BinyaminTsadik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lerincho View Post

How about some insight into ... New classes (Psionics)?
    ^This

Community Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by enochiancub View Post
    Welcome, and thanks for the letter.

I sincerely apologize for what this thread is about to become.
    Couldn't have put it better myself Enoch
    Welcome to DDO Aaron, give Fernando a slap on the back for me

Community Member

Default Another vote for a better Harbour

Welcome, hang on in there, and Illegitimi non carborundum!

I just want to add a vote for attention to the Harbour and Level 4ish quests, although I personally spend most of my time in Epic levels.

And a heartfelt plea - somehow bend the Korthos Island experience to cover the Social Panel, LFMs and how to form groups. If you make it easier for your new customers to discover the fun of playing together, Skyrim will seem much less alluring.
    www.LegendsGuild.eu - on Thelanis
    Brunhildha (Stroppy healer); Niwareka (Sneaky Ranger); Hiacynthe (Happy Monk); Juss (Hitty Healer); Sharkee (Dirty old Shenanigan); Kawariki (Confused drow wizzy)

it's about reworking the Harbor. This is the place that people bounce out of the game because they are give very little direction to go. It isn't a matter of retooling quests and whatnot but about streamlining the experience for a little while to get people into the deeper parts of the game, and help them understand how the quests were broken up in the mid game. There is such a dramatic dip at level 4, it needed to be addressed.
    A dip in what exactly? There is plenty of xp, and tons of stuff to do at low level. Besides that, it only takes a couple hours to get to level 5, while levels 18-25 take an extremely long time and require many many repeats of quests.

Please put some time and effort into the parts of the game which are actually lacking. And make some raids.
    Shmuel Xadin Xadins Errand Mohnster Yitzhak

Quote Originally Posted by Flavilandile View Post
    At a guess I'd make it 10-15... They have been lowering the level of Eveningstar sided quests regularly since MoTU.
    That is a good guess based on what they have been doing. Sadly, what they ought to be doing is focusing exclusively on endgame till there are about 5 Giantholds worth of epic quests and raids at level 25-28.
    Shmuel Xadin Xadins Errand Mohnster Yitzhak

Quote Originally Posted by Flavilandile View Post
    Level 16 with an Epic option would be perfect. MOAR QUESTS for streakers, more to do at end-game, best of both worlds.

I really think having content below level 16 in FR at this time is just stupid as it's a level 16 chain that gets us there.

Also, put a "guild hall" in the FR so people never have to leave if they don't want.

And change ship-buffs to last until death. Rebuffing is such and immersion killer.

Community Member

If there's a major dip in new player retention in the harbor or level 4, I might have a suggestion that could help.

When Update 9 happened, I made a suggestion that the Chronicle Newsboys scattered throughout Ebberon content should hype quests to players.

When players interact with the Newsboys, why not have them talk about level appropriate content for the player? When players are under level 5, the Newsboys could talk about the harbor infestation of Kobolds. The Newsboy could even point out the Saga guy for the harbor quests (if the Saga stuff is going to be tied in this way). At level 4, the Newsboys could talk about the Depth quests and point to the Depth Saga giver (if there is one). And so on...

So the Newsboys could replace the cluttered quest posts that are scattered throughout Eberron. Actually, looking for the posts now in the game, it appears that those posts were removed so maybe there's something in the works going on.

Community Member

Your move to DDO seemed to happen about the same time many of noticed increased communication and improved communication with customers. It also seems like the devs are more willing to listen to our concerns. Guild decay break, Wayfinder xp bonuses and the dialogue about enhancements and epic tr come to mind.

If you are responsible I just want to say it's noted and appreciated. If it's just coincidence, you came at a time when your team seems to have taken a more outward focus. This gives me great confidence that DDO will be a great product for years to come.

Thank you

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast