Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by goodspeed View Post

Animal wise (wolf) splash deep. Preferably monk as I hear somehow the stunning fist works in wolf form. And maybe fighter for the speed boosts stacked with haste, or rog for the speed with the added SA. I'd say LD but im not sure if animals can cleave or not.
    That's pretty specific advice from someone who has clearly never done it themselves. And yes, animals can cleave. The wolf does a cool backflip and spanks everything in it's radius of control. It's ridiculously fun and can be done on the run, jumping, etc.

Almost everyone splashes monk. I tried it and it does have some nice advantages. But you give up a good bit too. It just depends what you want. Most of the people that I've talked to that didn't like druid, tried it once splashed heavily with monk. They liked monk, were full twitch video game folks that had no time or concern with role playing, strategy, teamwork, or any real adventure. They just wanted to run through everything faster than everyone else, and the druid levels interfered with the monk levels. What they really wanted was monk. My advice for those who are really interested in druid is to play it pure first, and then decide about splashes.

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Hmmm a Druid thread...quick to the Opinion Mobile Robin!!!

Positives

- OMG the animations I love them so much, cleaving and intimidating as a bear is so awesome, face kicking everything as a wolf makes me giddy I run around quests yelling FACE KICK!!!, FACE KICK!!!

- Entangle..oh what a glorious spell...oh oh and Call Lightning...crack crack boom...I love lightning spells in this game.

- The "Pack" spells really allows for alot of versatility

- Oh forget it ALL THE SPELLS the druids have an awesome spell line-up it's got some many unique and fun spells to play with the only issue is which element to go with and thats a me issue not a you issue :P

- The special form abilities (again see face kick) they all have really unique and fun animations as well as some cool secondary abilities

Negatives

- Bear is severely underpowered the defensive bonuses aren't enough to notice a difference let alone make a Tank, his attacks feel REALLY slow especially since the bear has to "charge up" his first attack

- I have to use my Animal Companion to pull levers and open doors because the "Lens Flare" that covers switching from Animal form to human makes my eyes bleed..I liked the old version where a tranparent "soul" would interact with things...alternatively my Arty's construct and my Druid's Animal companion can interact with things just fine why can't my Bear/Wolf form do the same w/o using the human form temporarily

- This ones HUGE for me because its the one of two main reasons I purchased Druid...My Bear Form (and Wolf Form) abilities DO NOT work whilst raging. Why can't I roar or rend people when I'm angry? Also why does roaring require wisdom to work? and why does it use caster level instead of Druid Level...this is a PHYSICAL ability not a spell despite you guys putting it in the spell list instead of sub feats of the druid forms.

- The other HUGE one is Druid/Monks a VERY iconic PnP build. Why doesn't the Unarmed damage stack...the progression from monk unarmed damage should increase Wolf/Bear from damage not overwrite it. Wolf form currently does 1D6/1D10 damage and bear form currently does 1D8/1D12...during normal progression monks are 1D6 than straight receiving 0.5[w] bonuses as they level instead of having the 1D6 overwrite the druids unarmed damage just have the increased [w] damage apply to the wolf/bear forms damage (ie. a Druid12/Monk8 would do 2 [1d10] damage instead of 2[1D6])

- The Regen spells...please make the durations longer they last like 8 seconds basically meaning a healing druid can do NOTHING other than healing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

I took my Druid to 25 and farmed out a few destinies for her. I went strength/con based and took the shield feats and used as many tricks as possible to get a lot of double strike and up my AC. Melee Druids are really nice up until about level 18 or so and then I started wishing I had gone caster. I had a lot of fun, but if I had my Druid life to go through again, I think I would've made a dot tank build.
    --Pealea, Peawee, worldpeas, givepeas achance, and whoopea on Khyber

Have not read all replies yet, so I may be repeating someone else.

I abso-freaking-lutely love my caster druids. I have a bunch, also. I have tried every tweak of build design and found a build I love. I think whatever people it was at Turbine that designed it and decided what to do deserve a raise and a promotion. SERIOUSLY.

Now, I think those people need to go look at clerics. Those people know how to balance a toon to either be able to do melee, offensive cast, or heal. Not do all 3, but to have to choose and be able to be competent. Druids are what clerics should have been all along with those choices.
    Orien: Zizie, Zeelee, Zeeny, Zeety, Zeleste, Zeeby
    ?

I agree that the Druid class is a fun class and good when played well, using its versatility to its advantage. Mine is 25, with some nice gear, and I love running as a bear. Bear does need more damage at epic levels. I mainly run EE content, and bear form mainly needs better damage multipliers. Being stuck at essentially heroic level damage stats is not good. Even if animation and attack speed stays the same, higher [W], more str, and prr would equalize the class for that form.
    Gwhyn Saige - heroic and epic completionist, loving the EK build
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...elee-wizard-EK

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post

- The other HUGE one is Druid/Monks a VERY iconic PnP build. Why doesn't the Unarmed damage stack...the progression from monk unarmed damage should increase Wolf/Bear from damage not overwrite it. Wolf form currently does 1D6/1D10 damage and bear form currently does 1D8/1D12...during normal progression monks are 1D6 than straight receiving 0.5[w] bonuses as they level instead of having the 1D6 overwrite the druids unarmed damage just have the increased [w] damage apply to the wolf/bear forms damage (ie. a Druid12/Monk8 would do 2 [1d10] damage instead of 2[1D6])
    They fixed this a couple patches after the release of druid, probably been fixed for 6-8 months now.

- The other HUGE one is Druid/Monks a VERY iconic PnP build.
    As if WotC&D (the game that resulted when Wizard of the Coast bought TSR and proceeded to eff the game all up) has even been around long enough to have anything "iconic".

Sorry, I know it's been around for a while. But I'm oldschool. It was a sad day for me (and alot of other oldschool players I know) when 3E was released. Death to WotC.

Thanks for the laugh though
    All that is wrong with DDO, life, taxes, poltics, religion, music, fast food, education, the criminal justice system, the weather, society, the universe, and previously-discontinued-but-now-on-their-way-back snack cakes, is all the fault of Wizards of the Coast. I know this because Fred told me so, and Mind Flayers are smart.

My main is a strength based druid splashed with 1 ranger level and 2 monk levels either as a water or fire elemental, THF with manyshot and his spells are useful to with proper debuffs even earthquake works on a lot of mobs in EE.

I have no intention on TR´ing him because I have to much fun playing him I just need a lot of commendations to see his full potential.

Going to TR 1 of my sorcs to a caster druid because they are just that much fun

But they are a sp sponge, Torq and con op were great while leveling but not really useful in EE where you are always displaced.
    Argonnessen: Hilmir - Purkilius - Jinu - Vignir @ Blood Assassin´s

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    That's pretty specific advice from someone who has clearly never done it themselves. And yes, animals can cleave. The wolf does a cool backflip and spanks everything in it's radius of control. It's ridiculously fun and can be done on the run, jumping, etc.

Almost everyone splashes monk. I tried it and it does have some nice advantages. But you give up a good bit too. It just depends what you want. Most of the people that I've talked to that didn't like druid, tried it once splashed heavily with monk. They liked monk, were full twitch video game folks that had no time or concern with role playing, strategy, teamwork, or any real adventure. They just wanted to run through everything faster than everyone else, and the druid levels interfered with the monk levels. What they really wanted was monk. My advice for those who are really interested in druid is to play it pure first, and then decide about splashes.
    I never had the angst to try for a pure druid melee. I saw the comparisons, the spreadsheets, and then punched it all into the calculator what worked and what didn't and from everything I saw pure druids melee was just mediocre. And Ive never been to much of a fan for flavors without reason for it.

The cleaves though would open up LD, mixing in sense weakness along side teir 5 for jacking the dmg of helpless, mixed with a good stun, and the destinies haste wouldn't be half bad with the wolf going a mile a minute forcing all SA add ons onto the monster though. I think it would work out to be like the rog monk builds with some magic tossed in.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

I never had the angst to try for a pure druid melee. I saw the comparisons, the spreadsheets, and then punched it all into the calculator what worked and what didn't and from everything I saw pure druids melee was just mediocre. And Ive never been to much of a fan for flavors without reason for it.
    Never understood the need to always play the "uber-super-min-max it doesnt matter if the character is fun to play or not as long as it's optimized in every concievable way" kind of playstyle or thinking. Not knocking it. If that's your personal playstyle and you actually gain enjoyment from sitting over a calculator crunching numbers just to play a game, well, have fun with that, I guess.

I just don't get it. I just wanna play the game and have some fun.
    All that is wrong with DDO, life, taxes, poltics, religion, music, fast food, education, the criminal justice system, the weather, society, the universe, and previously-discontinued-but-now-on-their-way-back snack cakes, is all the fault of Wizards of the Coast. I know this because Fred told me so, and Mind Flayers are smart.

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Philibusta View Post
    As if WotC&D (the game that resulted when Wizard of the Coast bought TSR and proceeded to eff the game all up) has even been around long enough to have anything "iconic".

Sorry, I know it's been around for a while. But I'm oldschool. It was a sad day for me (and alot of other oldschool players I know) when 3E was released. Death to WotC.

Thanks for the laugh though
    Well to be honest I started with 3rd Edition my only experience with older system is through the Infinity Engine Games and NWN I can assure you Monk/Druids were Iconic in 3e as well...I even enjoy playing 4e although it is fairly limiting recently we've switched to Pathfinder. Playing a Synthesist Summoner and a Magus "Kensai/Bladebound" at the moment
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Well to be honest I started with 3rd Edition my only experience with older system is through the Infinity Engine Games and NWN I can assure you Monk/Druids were Iconic in 3e as well...I even enjoy playing 4e although it is fairly limiting recently we've switched to Pathfinder. Playing a Synthesist Summoner and a Magus "Kensai/Bladebound" at the moment
    I'm sure that's cool for ya and all but....lol...I got no clue what any of that is. I mean, I know what a Kensai is, from DDO, but other than that I'm clueless on all that Synthesizer whatsiwhozit stuff. I haven't played PnP since...well, since 3E came out.

And yes, I did try 3E, kept an open mind and gave it a chance. Repeat: Death to WotC.

See, that's the thing... there are so many ways to play the druid. I've found that playing a melee druid that can spam lightning or creeping cold, or whatever before and during melee was far more capable than pure melee with ranger and monk classes splashed. And yes, I tried the monk splash melee druid too. The dcs on all the spells were so bad, I just quit using them and the dog had no survivability so I simply never used him. But with the pure druid, EQ, lightning, storm of vengeance, etc hit often enough to be very effective to spam them while fighting. I can even use FoD and it hits about 80% of the time, and does ~800-1000pts of damage even on a save. It more than made up for the slightly lower melee dps, and was a lot more fun... for me, anyway.

Not to mention the fact that if you're simply TR'ing through druid lives, you get those spells 2 or 3 levels earlier and the dog has more usefulness. The dog gets improved evasion just before 20th level. You don't get that with a splash, and your dog will have significantly fewer hit points as it will be missing those levels you take as another class. With a couple druid pls, the pack endurance spell, some armor with con and false life augments slotted, you can get the little wolf pup close to 1000 hps. And with the extra fort added from the other pack spell, some white dragonhide armor or whatever, you can get the ac and prr up pretty nice too. Still useless for EE, but he's pretty survivable in most other difficulties. And the dog's evasion helps out with springing traps and opening trapped doors and chests, since the pure druid doesn't get evasion. The capstone not only helps with casting offensive spells more quickly, but really helps the healing as well, especially if you didn't invest a lot into it as you can spam the heals faster when you really need it.

It's just not that cut and dried. The numbers on your calculator may indicate that a splash offers better melee dps, but it can't see the big picture. A couple more points of damage per swing is easily made up with a much better dog, spell dps and crowd control, and it makes the toon a lot more versatile and fun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12