Community Member

Default Owlbear hireling is totally bugged. His behaviour needs rewroked.

He stands around often and does not fight, He seems to have issues crossing thresh holds of door ways, his buttons sometimes lock up. There are some other issues I have had in other areas, mainly him getting hung up and not fighting , just standing around doing nothing. Try taking him through the lords of dust quest. This is a great example. I have the Owlbear and the Black Panther hirelings both. The panther seems to work fine. But the owlbear has all the above issues. Also an option to set his cleaves to auto-attack would be great. It is very difficult to control all the hires and myself and have to target and use both the cleaves myself. The owlbear is very buggy and has horrible behaviour. Please give him a thorough look and clean him up.

Community Member

I've noticed my L17 occasionally gets daydreamy and stands there, but I can usually wake him up.

I've also noticed that his defense is much, MUCH improved from before 18.2.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Qaliya View Post
    I've noticed my L17 occasionally gets daydreamy and stands there, but I can usually wake him up.

I've also noticed that his defense is much, MUCH improved from before 18.2.
    Oh agree 100%, he is much more durable. When I do get him into action and I do get off enough cleaves to get a mob mad at him, he is mch more healable than the previous :SPLAT: "***, where did my owlbear go?!?!?" BUt I am still having the other bug issues now

I've noticed him getting stuck in doors also. It's been posted on the forums before and nothing was done in the last patch to fix his AI.

The problem should be something that Turbine can easily verify. I have not been in a single quest where it did not bug out.

I don't know if we even bug report it at this point?
    Dorian

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    I've noticed him getting stuck in doors also. It's been posted on the forums before and nothing was done in the last patch to fix his AI.
    [...]
    I believe the stuck at door behavior might be WAI. I have noticed him being too fat to go through doors. May be he is the defender type to intentionally block at all doors as to tanking?

Usually, my character will just call the Owlbear to her and then the Owlbera will come; automagically if the PC were too far away.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrande View Post
    I believe the stuck at door behavior might be WAI. I have noticed him being too fat to go through doors. May be he is the defender type to intentionally block at all doors as to tanking?

Usually, my character will just call the Owlbear to her and then the Owlbera will come; automagically if the PC were too far away.
    I pretty much agree with Tyrande here. The Owlbear usually teleports after a bit of time if it can't go through the door. If you're dropping the mobs before the Owlbear teleports to you, then you didn't really need the Owlbear for that particular fight.

But as Tyrande pointed out, it's good at blocking doors, sort of. Use that as a tactic like I do: grab aggro and run to the door then fight mobs at the door with the owlbear, it helps prevent you from being surrounded.

Community Member

Playing with him in the Devil's Battlefield today, he works well in a wilderness. It does seem he only gets stupid in dungeons. I have had no issues of his buttons not working or him just standing around in the wilderness. My only complaint here, being an arcane archer, is that his threat range even on attack mode is not very far. He will stand around if I am apart from him attacking. I gotta jump on him and tell him to get over here.

Bugs aside and I know this is a thread about the bugs, I still think being about to turn his cleaves on auto would be great and maybe a slider or something on all hirelings actually to set a threat range on them ;-)

I will trade a bit of door phobia for the vast improvements that the Owlbear just got.

Wait till you take the L17 into coal chamber.
    Characters: Celemia / Tukson / Thau (Broken link) / Atremus

“A pessimist is one who feels bad when he feels good for fear he'll feel worse when he feels better.”

You can get the owlbear into the rooms by triple clicking on the feet button.

The not being able to pass through a door is WAI... I think.
    At least it's one of the very things that make the game more realistic and follow the PnP rules more closely.
    (Monster size and confined spaces.)

One, two! One, two! and through and through. The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
    He left it dead, and with its head. He went galumphing back.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Atremus View Post
    I will trade a bit of door phobia for the vast improvements that the Owlbear just got.

Wait till you take the L17 into coal chamber.

The improvements to the owlbear's durability are indeed great. MAN! Did he just get squished before this update. The improvements are incredibly appreciated, but he still has some issues. And lets face it, a lot of us bought the deluxe edition for the kick-ass perma-gold hirelings. How many people are crying about missing out on that panther (not me, I got him! ;-) ) but yeah, I know a few ;-)

Community Member

some/most hireling movement is horrible.

Have you used the level 23/4 (i forget) Shadari Ranger???

He will stand 20' away from his target, and do his combat animations... Doing nothing but swinging at the air... it's AWESOME to behold. Now when he does hit... It's pretty awesome! But since 1/2 his time is spent swinging @ nothing, it's not terribly effective.

The owl bear can't fit thru a single door in this world, and can apparently D Door very well, while wizards cannot.

LOL @ you guys saying that the Owlbear not fitting through doors is WAI.

come on. you serious?
    Dorian