Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Why I havent left DDO

Quite simple - I enjoy it as much today as I did when I first started playing, bugs and all
    Corazonroto
    Soultrax
    Mantrax
    The Spellswords - Ghallanda

Hi

talking about standarts...

I am trying to play NWO. Still searching a fun there. I still have some hope, that highter levels and dungeons will be less boring.

Thelanis: Shewind the Airbender (Sorc20/Epic5 -> Bard20/Epic8 -> Rog20/Epic8/Epic2 -> Harper_FvS20/Epic4 -> Art20/Epic8/Epic8 -> Rng10), Azaxe (Rog18/Wiz2 -> Sorc20/Epic8/Epic8)

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    If you're still logging in to play, then you have the same "low" standards.

The fact is, there are two dozen different MMOs you could be playing out there, and yet you're playing this one. Actions speak louder than words. You obviously think DDO is the best MMO on the market, bugs and all.
    DDO can be the best option but still have room to improve. I love the game, but I'd love it much more with fewer bugs. The fact that people still play this game despite the bugs is a testament to how good the core of the game is. Take away the bugs and you not only still have a good game, but probably a lot more players as well.

There is always room to improve, which is why you'll always have people complaining on the forums. It's not that they hate the game. They enjoy the game, but want it to be better.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    post deleted, so deleting the quote
    Personally, after getting tired of DDO's sinking quality (my standards may be low, but they're high enough that I'm not bothering to log onto DDO now) and being bored with NWO for now (more so because none of the classes are overly interesting to me now that my control wizard is capped and decently geared than anything), I'm getting quite tired of the MMO market as a whole..thinking I'll give ESO a try (preferably without spending money), but quite honestly, I'm finding the MMO market as a whole pretty lacking.

I will honestly say this, though: with the current direction of DDO, I do not see myself renewing my VIP next year, or logging in anymore...which is sad, as I was a diehard fan for so long, but continuously having my favorite content broken, asinine design decisions for high difficulties (monsters with ridiculously high saves, melee attacks for >300 damage from a NORMAL enemy), a forced enhancement pass that (as of what I see on lam now) doesn't do much appetizing, a despairing update 18 (seriously, pre-expansion update to get interest for the expansion, and the quests are hardly worth running more that once for favor), and an "expansion" that doesn't even deserve to be called that (seriously, 2 quest packs and NO raid is sad as hell)...all these things give me little reason to log on, and for a lot of people, only a few reasons are necessary.

Add in even more questionable decisions (sending new players to a nearly empty server in an MMO, for example, is a really bad decision)...and I'm starting to wonder if things like me saying I won't renew will hold water - it almost seems like there won't be a game here to which I can cancel my subscription before too long. I seriously hope that I'm wrong, though...in fact, I'm hoping that in May next year, when it's time to renew or not, the game's taken an even more awesome direction...unfortunately, every time I check, I see stupid decisions instead (such as the secret door change - I mean seriously, what's the point of doing something like that when secret doors aren't even random)...so I sadly have little hope for this.

In the mean time, Path of Exile is keeping me well entertained, as well as the new Tiny Tina DLC for BL2, and a decent backlog of Steam games (especially because of humble bundles, this backlog grows faster than it shrinks)...but I do quite miss the really fun time of DDO (specifically, how the game was before u14, where some of my favorite components of the game functioned - for example, AC mattered).
    Last edited by WruntJunior; 06-30-2013 at 10:08 AM.
    Eternal Infinity: Wruntjunior ~ DI Sorc // Youngwrunt ~ Survivalist Paladin // Wruntarrow ~ Monkcher // Wruntsonmonk ~ Wis-Based Monk

I enjoy the game, bugs and all too. I don't mind spending $9 a month on it.

If you are getting bored with DDO, and want something different, may I suggest Eve Online. It's pretty much a completely different take on MMO.

Community Member

I was talking about this last night with the guildies.
    Hard to believe I've been playing for almost 3 years. Most games don't hold my attention anywhere near this long. Unless they come out with DDO part deux, I will be playing this game for at least 3 more.

I love this game, bugs and all, even though I complain from time to time about them.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by WruntJunior View Post
    Personally, after getting tired of DDO's sinking quality (my standards may be low, but they're high enough that I'm not bothering to log onto DDO now) and being bored with NWO for now (more so because none of the classes are overly interesting to me now that my control wizard is capped and decently geared than anything), I'm getting quite tired of the MMO market as a whole..thinking I'll give ESO a try (preferably without spending money), but quite honestly, I'm finding the MMO market as a whole pretty lacking.

I will honestly say this, though: with the current direction of DDO, I do not see myself renewing my VIP next year, or logging in anymore...which is sad, as I was a diehard fan for so long, but continuously having my favorite content broken, asinine design decisions for high difficulties (monsters with ridiculously high saves, melee attacks for >300 damage from a NORMAL enemy), a forced enhancement pass that (as of what I see on lam now) doesn't do much appetizing, a despairing update 18 (seriously, pre-expansion update to get interest for the expansion, and the quests are hardly worth running more that once for favor), and an "expansion" that doesn't even deserve to be called that (seriously, 2 quest packs and NO raid is sad as hell)...all these things give me little reason to log on, and for a lot of people, only a few reasons are necessary.

Add in even more questionable decisions (sending new players to a nearly empty server in an MMO, for example, is a really bad decision)...and I'm starting to wonder if things like me saying I won't renew will hold water - it almost seems like there won't be a game here to which I can cancel my subscription before too long. I seriously hope that I'm wrong, though...in fact, I'm hoping that in May next year, when it's time to renew or not, the game's taken an even more awesome direction...unfortunately, every time I check, I see stupid decisions instead (such as the secret door change - I mean seriously, what's the point of doing something like that when secret doors aren't even random)...so I sadly have little hope for this.

In the mean time, Path of Exile is keeping me well entertained, as well as the new Tiny Tina DLC for BL2, and a decent backlog of Steam games (especially because of humble bundles, this backlog grows faster than it shrinks)...but I do quite miss the really fun time of DDO (specifically, how the game was before u14, where some of my favorite components of the game functioned - for example, AC mattered).
    I took a look at Path of Exile, looks like a Diablo clone. But I heard they have outstanding customer support. A guildies brother installed the game and got a virus from it, and it destroyed his pc. The Path of Exile folks set up a conference call with him and are sending him a newer, moar badder-asser machine and a bunch of swag for his troubles.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey1 View Post
    I took a look at Path of Exile, looks like a Diablo clone. But I heard they have outstanding customer support. A guildies brother installed the game and got a virus from it, and it destroyed his pc. The Path of Exile folks set up a conference call with him and are sending him a newer, moar badder-asser machine and a bunch of swag for his troubles.
    Yeah, it feels a lot like a new Diablo 2, but a bit better (and much harder, once you get to merciless). I'd highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys ARPGs, and everyone to whom I've recommend it has quite enjoyed it. They're also planning out to around 10 acts (currently half-way through with act 3) over the next several years, so it should stay awesome for quite a while.

The support is indeed amazing, including getting actual responses to support emails within minutes to hours generally instead of within days...and even better, dev interaction is rather high with PoE (they even chat with players in-game when they're playing sometimes, which is awesome).

I actually rather wish Turbine would adopt some of GGG's policies, such as responding quickly and effectively with customer support, and actually listening to players with design decisions (and fixing bugs - bad bugs rarely go a week without being fixed, unlike some in DDO that stay for months or years more).
    Eternal Infinity: Wruntjunior ~ DI Sorc // Youngwrunt ~ Survivalist Paladin // Wruntarrow ~ Monkcher // Wruntsonmonk ~ Wis-Based Monk

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by WruntJunior View Post
    Yeah, it feels a lot like a new Diablo 2, but a bit better (and much harder, once you get to merciless). I'd highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys ARPGs, and everyone to whom I've recommend it has quite enjoyed it. They're also planning out to around 10 acts (currently half-way through with act 3) over the next several years, so it should stay awesome for quite a while.

The support is indeed amazing, including getting actual responses to support emails within minutes to hours generally instead of within days...and even better, dev interaction is rather high with PoE (they even chat with players in-game when they're playing sometimes, which is awesome).

I actually rather wish Turbine would adopt some of GGG's policies, such as responding quickly and effectively with customer support, and actually listening to players with design decisions (and fixing bugs - bad bugs rarely go a week without being fixed, unlike some in DDO that stay for months or years more).
    I think the devs are hamstrung by management.

I still play this game after almost five years because of one fact: I enjoy interacting with family and friends who also play. Any bugs, game mechanic changes, irritations and annoyances are well beyond my control or influence. Accepting my lack of control and focusing on making the most of what limited time I have to play has made all the difference in how I view things. Certainly bugs are annoying, but compared to how much pleasure I derive from running quests or merely shooting the breeze with my guildies makes what are, after all, minor complications all the more unimportant.

Some may view my attitude as defeatist. Others may berate such views as being those of a "sucker" to Turbine's evil, manipulative machinations. Honestly, I don't care. I get what I want for a price that pales in comparison to many other forms of entertainment or communication. Nothing else really matters.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

I've no plans to leave DDO as I'm still enjoying it

I only wish I had a newer machine to play it on.

I am also not planning to leave DDO. I am happy with my premium account. Just buying adventure packs only and soon or later i will have whole collection to play really F2P

I don't like these "I am leaving DDO" threads. Why they want to say this to everyone?

Yes, I'm also playing other MMO games, this is not leaving. Everybody can play other MMOs.
    Last edited by Wanesa; 06-30-2013 at 01:43 PM.

Thelanis: Shewind the Airbender (Sorc20/Epic5 -> Bard20/Epic8 -> Rog20/Epic8/Epic2 -> Harper_FvS20/Epic4 -> Art20/Epic8/Epic8 -> Rng10), Azaxe (Rog18/Wiz2 -> Sorc20/Epic8/Epic8)

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

About now deleted post:

I saw you posting this thing dozens of time:

"If you play DDO, this means you must think its best MMO."

It makes no sense.

Does that means, if I log into DDO I bellive its the best, and 5 minutes later when I'm playing Rift, I automagically think Rift is the best thing ever made?
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Random Person #2 View Post
    People who exploit bugs in code are cheaters cheaters cheaters. And they are big fat ****yheads too.

Community Member

I tried NWO, hated it due to being locked in place while casting a spell. Found it very boring and bland as well. Every once in a while I dabble in SWTOR but that is leaving a bad taste in mouth due to them pushing a sub harder than anything, that added to the no new story line quests. Jist got into Rift when it went F2P, seems a bit bland but still holds my attention so far. IMHO nothing can come close to DDO and it's amazing combat. Sure the game is not perfect, but nothing or no one is.

Default The State of the Game

I've been playing DDO since 12/06. I've watched it go through server merges, multiple owners, sub to f2p, and two paid expansions. I love the game, how it plays, the character details, and the overall feel of it. However, I find myself playing less and less because of the bugs and lack of community.The state of the game is pretty sad now. Argo used to be a busy server but now it's like a ghost town. The first time I logged in after a three month break I thought I selected wrong and went to Wayfinder. Not sure exactly what happened, but it seems as though it is beginning a slow decline. Still I have faith in the development team. They have always been community friendly even if the customer service side has gone to squat.

Still, it is pretty bad when I log in and need to use hirelings to fill a party because I don't have the elite byoh mentality. Aside from the bugs, the community itself is killing things for me. You need this type of gear, this many hit points, byoh, and bravery bonus a must to get into almost any group. People complained the quest were to easy and now that they have been made harder, people still complain. A community can bring a game down just as quickly as a poor development team. Within the last year or so, the community has done more to run people off, both new and old, than anything the developers could do. The bugs and lack of cs just add to it. I love the game, but I think that it is going to come to an end by this time next year unless a lot of changes are made by all parties involved.
    If you have a group with only DPS in it and are shouting "LFM, need healer and tank"; you aren't Looking for More, you're Looking for Group.

Quote Originally Posted by sebastianosmith View Post
    I still play this game after almost five years because of one fact: I enjoy interacting with family and friends who also play. Any bugs, game mechanic changes, irritations and annoyances are well beyond my control or influence. Accepting my lack of control and focusing on making the most of what limited time I have to play has made all the difference in how I view things. Certainly bugs are annoying, but compared to how much pleasure I derive from running quests or merely shooting the breeze with my guildies makes what are, after all, minor complications all the more unimportant.

Some may view my attitude as defeatist. Others may berate such views as being those of a "sucker" to Turbine's evil, manipulative machinations. Honestly, I don't care. I get what I want for a price that pales in comparison to many other forms of entertainment or communication. Nothing else really matters.
    I feel almost the same way. This is my first MMO, and I have made a ton of friends and they are the main reason that I continue to play. I also enjoy the nostalgia of running redwillow and a few other quests after all these years. It would be hard for me to ever leave DDO simply because of these two things.

Sometimes I am too harsh on certain aspects of the game, but as I sit here and think; will having a team rework how detect secret doors be what draws friends and guildies back from NWO? This is a bit rhetorical; I just wonder sometimes the direction the game is going.
    Flabby-Flaber-Flabo--Heifer-Oinks

LEGION

Community Member

Smile

I haven't left because I can tr at level 20 without loss of ED and can avoid the content made by developers who are ok with EE CR55+ spiders, dogs, wolves, rats, scorpions!

Quote Originally Posted by kwyjibo_lol View Post
    I haven't left because I can tr at level 20 without loss of ED and can avoid the content made by developers who are ok with EE CR55+ spiders, dogs, wolves, rats, scorpions!
    Dont forget the top-of-art traps in the whole realm: Bear traps. A single bear trap is more dangerous than a dozen 5-ft-long-spikes puncturing you from the wall.
    Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist (12/14) [<o>]
    Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Kensai, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Community Member

I have played other MMOs and the fact is this one seems to have easily the most diverse character planning and building and the most immersive combat of all those I have played.

These two reasons alone are enough for me not to go and play something else.

Factor in online friends and some other things and it's pretty easy to overlook the bugs. (Bugs are present in all the other games too)

I feel that Turbine need to look at reinvigorating end game raiding as well as some more end game content and start listening to the customers a bit more.

If turbine released a pack that was just 5 end game raids scattered across the forgotten realms I imagine we would see a large influx of old players.
    Toons:
    Smallmans Syndrome, Rovac, Dragnipur, Prettyhater Machine, Lubed, Castinfist
    Emmpeethree, Hyperkill Hyperthrill and Greyvegas (All on Khyber)

Endgame endgame endgame endgame endgame endgame endgame.

Why are people so obsessed with this?

Starting to sound like WoW around here.

So if endgame's all that....so you get to endgame...and you do what? play it till you cant get anything out of it....then you TR...then you....what? Go back to lvl 1 and...run the saaaaaaaaame old quests youve been running for years just to....get back to endgame again.

High time some fresh low-level and mid-level content was put into this game. Thats probably the reason so many people are so high on "endgame" stuff. The only new content that comes out is for higher and higher-level characters.

I'd say "you're too much in a hurry to get to the end, you forget to enjoy the trip"...but I guess it is kindof hard to enjoy the trip, when its the same trip youve been on so many times. We NEED more low and mid-level content.
    All that is wrong with DDO, life, taxes, poltics, religion, music, fast food, education, the criminal justice system, the weather, society, the universe, and previously-discontinued-but-now-on-their-way-back snack cakes, is all the fault of Wizards of the Coast. I know this because Fred told me so, and Mind Flayers are smart.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast