Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Community Member

Default 1st login bug workaround

Edit: Login bug still happening despite my best efforts, i musta just gotten lucky a few times?

This bug apparently doesnt happen to everyone, tho i have gotten it many times on 3 different computer, basically the first time you attempt to log in the game crashes.

Ive found that if i select another character at selection screen then select the character i want to log on with the game doesnt crash, so far its worked 100% of the time since ive started doing this.

While messing around in character selection i found that if i switch characters right when its loading avatar onto screen that i can have one character selected while it displays another characters avatar, this MAY be linked to the bug somehow. When this happened i had to select several different characters before it started selecting correct avatar, so theres some sort of mixup in the pointers(records, fields, not sure how they have it set up), possibly causing the crash, hard to say.

Has saved me a few minutes since i started doing this, that and occasionally the crash is bluescreen, so could harm windows and needs to be avoided.
    Last edited by 01000010; 06-30-2013 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Workaround not working

I think this has more to do with awesomiumprocess.exe *32 when i log in i have 2 processes going but when i click a character it increases to 7 awesomiumprocess.exe *32. Can someone tell why?
    Last edited by SirShen; 06-29-2013 at 01:08 PM.

I think the game crashes when it takes too long to load: there is a connection timeout on the server or client side
    (not responding because still loading data).

Quote Originally Posted by SirShen View Post
    I think this has more to do with awesomiumprocess.exe *32 when i log in i have 2 processes going but when i click a character it increases to 7 awesomiumprocess.exe *32. Can someone tell why?
    Each awesomemium process is said to be one instance of an ingame browser (DDOstore, Help, ... whatever else ... founder guilds list?)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SirShen View Post
    Because once you log in there are more windows (Store, Help, ex-MyDDO) that use the browser than when just at character select.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 01000010 View Post
    This bug apparently doesnt happen to everyone, tho i have gotten it many times on 3 different computer, basically the first time you attempt to log in the game crashes.
    Seriously, if you want to actually help Turbine, stop calling it crashing. The game does not crash, it closes after losing connection.

Closing after losing connection is acceptable behavior in and of itself.

The fact it is happening on first log in, is aggravating as much as swearingly possible. I do not argue that fact. The problem is a great number of factors for this IS dependent upon player PC.
    Can Turbine change the heartbeat about for logging into characters? Definitely. Should they? I think so. But given the FACT that the majority of issues related to this are player PC dependent, it is unlikely that any manager at Turbine will give it the visibility/priority that it honestly needs.

Turbine managers have huge issues that they do not fix highly visible bugs in any form of a timely manner.
    Frankly, Turbine, you should have monthly bug fixes. This is what your players EXPECT from you. (You can blame Microsoft.)

Community Member

Default Well

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    Seriously, if you want to actually help Turbine, stop calling it crashing. The game does not crash, it closes after losing connection.

Closing after losing connection is acceptable behavior in and of itself.

The fact it is happening on first log in, is aggravating as much as swearingly possible. I do not argue that fact. The problem is a great number of factors for this IS dependent upon player PC.
    Can Turbine change the heartbeat about for logging into characters? Definitely. Should they? I think so. But given the FACT that the majority of issues related to this are player PC dependent, it is unlikely that any manager at Turbine will give it the visibility/priority that it honestly needs.

Turbine managers have huge issues that they do not fix highly visible bugs in any form of a timely manner.
    Frankly, Turbine, you should have monthly bug fixes. This is what your players EXPECT from you. (You can blame Microsoft.)
    90% of the time it only crashes ddo, but twice now it has crashed computer, once bluescreen, once black. On bluescreen crash i had to safemode just to get windows to resume proper startups. There is no doubt that the bluescreen was caused by ddo, and very likely this bug since it was on login with same symptoms.

But all that aside, i dont think anyone can help turbine but themselves, they either take this game seriously or not.

Community Member

Yeah, when I saw this happening on another account/pc, it was a full-on system lockup. Imo "your pc needs a hard boot" counts as a crash, whether or not you want to nitpick the phrasing.

The above was fixed through an uninstall and reinstall, although client crashing (OK CLOSING ) upon login on that machine still happens. The system doesn't need a reboot however.

90% of the time it only crashes ddo, but twice now it has crashed computer, once bluescreen, once black. On bluescreen crash i had to safemode just to get windows to resume proper startups. There is no doubt that the bluescreen was caused by ddo, and very likely this bug since it was on login with same symptoms.

But all that aside, i dont think anyone can help turbine but themselves, they either take this game seriously or not.
    90% of the time huh? What is the error code it is giving you. Sounds like you have something really screwed up if it is actually crashing like that.

Community Member

Default hmm

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    90% of the time huh? What is the error code it is giving you. Sounds like you have something really screwed up if it is actually crashing like that.
    Either you misread or youre trying to be sarcastic or calling me a liar. But believe what you want, if I had to put place blame on population drop recently this bug would be near the top.

To make it very clear, when this bug does occur, approx 90% of the time it just drops me to desktop, therefore approx. 10% of the time it crashes my computer. Since it only happens on 1st login after fresh comp start the sample size isn't that high, maybe 30ish since update 18 where this started happening.

Seems pretty clear to me.

What was the bluescreen stop code?

Community Member

Default if i wrote it down

If i wrote it down or could remember id tell you, only thing i noted was it was read/write related. When any game crashes to desktop it has the potential to cause a bluescreen error if it happens to be accessing the wrong thing before crashing to desktop, at least thats been my experience with windows.

I dont consider ANY crash of any program to be safe, unacceptable in my book.

Community Member

Default geez

Back to the drawing board, i mustve just gotten lucky a few times in a row, its back to not working despite screwing around in character screen.

PITA

Community Member

If i wrote it down or could remember id tell you, only thing i noted was it was read/write related. When any game crashes to desktop it has the potential to cause a bluescreen error if it happens to be accessing the wrong thing before crashing to desktop, at least thats been my experience with windows.

At the beginning of the week I completely reinstalled Windows (Which was a double kick in the nuts because a: It took two days to finish updating and b: It was Vista *spits*) once it was done updating and I'd reinstalled my Anti-virus and a better browser (I seriously dislike Internet Explorer) I downloaded DDO and installed it. I was somewhat surprised to find that Turbine had actually linked an up to date version of the game, once it was installed it took literally 20 minutes to update.

Anyway, fresh (If somewhat dated) computer, fresh game etc. I logged in. I played for a bit and switched characters three times. When I went to switch a fourth time the client crashed to desktop then my computer crashed with a BSOD, I didn't catch all of it but I did catch "Page Fault In Nonpaged Area error". Apparently my system was calling for resources which had somehow been stored somewhere they shouldn't have been.

I'm somewhat curious to see if anyone else has experienced this.

BSOD always points to a HW problem in your computer. Check for power supply, memory, HDD, graphic card, temperature and update all drivers. None of common application (DDOclient is ordinary application) can make computer crash to BSOD.

Thelanis: Shewind the Airbender (Sorc20/Epic5 -> Bard20/Epic8 -> Rog20/Epic8/Epic2 -> Harper_FvS20/Epic4 -> Art19), Azaxe (Rog18/Wiz2 -> Sorc20/Epic6)

Your event log should have the information in it. And it should have created a dump file you could use to analyze the issue (unless of course you turned off dumping). Blue screen do usually indicate something more than just a programming issue. If you have a dump file, I can help you examine it if you like. It may help point you in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel_666 View Post
    At the beginning of the week I completely reinstalled Windows (Which was a double kick in the nuts because a: It took two days to finish updating and b: It was Vista *spits*) once it was done updating and I'd reinstalled my Anti-virus and a better browser (I seriously dislike Internet Explorer) I downloaded DDO and installed it. I was somewhat surprised to find that Turbine had actually linked an up to date version of the game, once it was installed it took literally 20 minutes to update.

Anyway, fresh (If somewhat dated) computer, fresh game etc. I logged in. I played for a bit and switched characters three times. When I went to switch a fourth time the client crashed to desktop then my computer crashed with a BSOD, I didn't catch all of it but I did catch "Page Fault In Nonpaged Area error". Apparently my system was calling for resources which had somehow been stored somewhere they shouldn't have been.

I'm somewhat curious to see if anyone else has experienced this.
    Did you have updated your drivers before launching the game?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus-Hawkeye View Post
    Did you have updated your drivers before launching the game?
    Yup. Completely updated drivers. I'd also spent a few hours running diagnostics on my hardware and found no faults whatsoever.

Oddly I never get this issue with other programs/games, even those which leave DDO eating dust for hardware requirements.

*Edit* The only difference really between my last install of the game and my current one was the /3G Switch in Vista. Haven't activated it yet.

*Edit* The only difference really between my last install of the game and my current one was the /3G Switch in Vista. Haven't activated it yet.
    Did it help? DDOclient can run out of 2GB reserved address space. It requires 3GB address space. I can't prove this, because i have 64bit Windows where this is turned on by default

Thelanis: Shewind the Airbender (Sorc20/Epic5 -> Bard20/Epic8 -> Rog20/Epic8/Epic2 -> Harper_FvS20/Epic4 -> Art19), Azaxe (Rog18/Wiz2 -> Sorc20/Epic6)

Either you misread or youre trying to be sarcastic or calling me a liar. But believe what you want, if I had to put place blame on population drop recently this bug would be near the top.

To make it very clear, when this bug does occur, approx 90% of the time it just drops me to desktop, therefore approx. 10% of the time it crashes my computer. Since it only happens on 1st login after fresh comp start the sample size isn't that high, maybe 30ish since update 18 where this started happening.

Seems pretty clear to me.
    You stated that you crashed 90% of the time not me. Therefore I am neither being sarcastic nor calling you a liar.

And my response to that is that if you are actually crashing there would be an error code being recorded in Event History. What is it?

Closing because connection is lost is NOT crashing. Crashing implies there is an unexpected issue arose and the program is being shut down to protect the system. Losing connection is an expected issue and therefore the program will close gracefully (We hope.) rather than just dumped.

So now you have choices. Do you continue to rant and rave, do you list off the error code and the issue it states, or do you actually admit that the game isn't crashing on you. (Note I've never once stated that the game losing connection on login is not an issue.)

Yup. Completely updated drivers. I'd also spent a few hours running diagnostics on my hardware and found no faults whatsoever.

Oddly I never get this issue with other programs/games, even those which leave DDO eating dust for hardware requirements.

Willing to post your dxdiag? Speaking of which, what are your graphics settings set to?
    What's your antivirus software. Did you try it without it? Are you running the firewall component of your AV? Is windows firewall enabled? Do you have a hardware firewall in a router or a modem?
    Also I'd check the prerequisite software and make sure it's not malfunctioning. I can't recall (or even find a list) exactly what DDO needs and I can't find it specifically. I think it was .NET 2.0 and maybe a Microsoft C++ 2005 redistributable? I've found if those aren't installed properly that the game gets buggy.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast