Community Member

Default Help me decide class please!

Hey I'm practically brand new at ddo. I played a couple years ago for like 2 weeks and had to quit. So now I finally decided to come back, but I am having a very hard time deciding what class. Also what path to build, since I have always heard the optional ones are pretty bad.

I have narrowed it down to a barbarian or ranger, with the possibility of a rogue. Monk was my first choice but I'm going to be F2P for a couple months.

I'm looking for a class that can solo fairly well but also feels rewarding. I made a barb years ago, and he was alright. I really prefer purely offensive classes. In EQ my main was a beserker who I still play occasionally. In WoW my favorite classes were marksman hunter and combat rogue. Can a rogue be played like a combat rogue in WoW? I am mostly leaning towards a ranger since it has been a while since I played ranged dps. I would also prefer to not multiclass if possible. I rarely enjoy hybrids in mmos, but may give it a chance if that ups the fun factor.

Can anyone give me any ranger/rogue advice in particular? As well as some builds to link perhaps?

Community Member moomooprincess's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Malkavius View Post
    Hey I'm practically brand new at ddo. I played a couple years ago for like 2 weeks and had to quit. So now I finally decided to come back, but I am having a very hard time deciding what class. Also what path to build, since I have always heard the optional ones are pretty bad.

I have narrowed it down to a barbarian or ranger, with the possibility of a rogue. Monk was my first choice but I'm going to be F2P for a couple months.

I'm looking for a class that can solo fairly well but also feels rewarding. I made a barb years ago, and he was alright. I really prefer purely offensive classes. In EQ my main was a beserker who I still play occasionally. In WoW my favorite classes were marksman hunter and combat rogue. Can a rogue be played like a combat rogue in WoW? I am mostly leaning towards a ranger since it has been a while since I played ranged dps. I would also prefer to not multiclass if possible. I rarely enjoy hybrids in mmos, but may give it a chance if that ups the fun factor.

Can anyone give me any ranger/rogue advice in particular? As well as some builds to link perhaps?
    The problem with a barbarian is that he has to figure out to constantly be healed. Other than that, a barbarian can take damage and dish it out. You can buy hireling clerics. The best race for a barbarian is half orc but that is P2P. A dwarf will suffice.

I like to play rangers over barbarians. A ranger can heal himself with wands or a spell. A ranger gets buff spells that will help out. A ranger gets Multi Shot at 6th level which is 20 seconds of archery attacks that fires a lot of arrows. A 180 second cool down.

I have seen both classes with rogue splash of 2 levels. Rangers get evasion anyway so all you are getting is the ability to to traps.

If you do splash rogue always be sure to put skill points into SEARCH and DISABLE. Also SPOT. Pick locks is important but you get infinite chances to do locks.

Since I am a vet I always do custom builds. I put points into Strength, Constitution, Dexterity, and make your WISDOM be 11 or 12. No more. You can get tomes to increase that and loot to increase it. You want DPS and hit points over being a spell caster. Your spell casting is strictly meant to buff yourself.
    Recipemaker Guild: Top Chef School of Recipes

Event Statistics: Risia, Festivult, Midwinter, Daily Dice, Mimic Hunt

Community Member

While that info was helpful, I would like a lot more if anyone can please. Like actual builds, more info on rogues etc.

Community Member

While that info was helpful, I would like a lot more if anyone can please. Like actual builds, more info on rogues etc.
    For ranger, this comes highly recommended:
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/277496
    Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    This is a build which I keep reposting for newbies, so I figure it makes sense to just post it in its own thread for future reference. It's just a variant on tihocan's Tempest, but it lays everything out.

The part about "tihocan's Tempest" refers to an old and large thread where many of the "path" builds were redone with improvements, but it hasn't been updated in a long time (notably, before a few updates to both the game and these forums) and thus the links are broken and some detail information outdated (Armor class considerations have changed a bit, for example.) Still, once you find the actual builds, they're still quite useful.

The in-game "paths" themselves can still be used of course. That could be the easiest way to start if you're a total newbie, but they're not "optimal" usually.

The thread nowadays starts at https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/232660 and, hm... "Dark Blade" rogue for example is at https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post2782313 , and...

As for the part where you mention soloing, both barbarian and newbie-f2p-rogue (without resources) are supposed to be fairly challenging for that as you practically "need" self-healing capability, for example.

One of the best breakdowns of what you need for effective soloing I've found so far is in https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/332212 (along with a build that does at least most of it but can't be started right away as f2p - see the thread for details), other useful builds are the "Warpriest of Siberys" redone path from tihocan's thread referred above and EllisDee37's "evasion paladin" at http://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/395133 ... each has their limitations, of course.

I've at least started at least one of each specific build I've listed (and I still count myself as a newbie, my highest-level toon is at 12 now), you get two character slots on each server so you can easily experiment and see what you like best yourself.

I would like a lot more if anyone can please.
    Search out the character planner from R&J Cyberware. It is probably the most useful tool that you can get for DDO and is of great help in working out character builds.

IMO it is a mistake to plan builds around equipment because this always changes. What is more, in many cases the gear is difficult to obtain. This means that you end up trying to build something but never quite get there.

Instead, use the character planner to work out a solid concept that will work regardless of equipment. That way you are successful irrespective of what gear you have available.

A common battle rogue type build might be a multiclass of rogue 1/ranger 19. Taking rogue at L1 allows you to get all of your essential rogue skills. Ranger for the remaining levels gives enough skill points to keep critical rogue skills topped up.

Ranger is a fairly easy class to build as most of the essential combat skills are give to the character automatically. Start with a 13 DEX to qualify for the Dodge feat. Dodge is a prerequisite for Mobility and Spring Attack -- and those 3 feats are needed to get the Tempest prestige enhancement which will result in a 100% proc rate for off-hand attacks when two-weapon fighting.

Remaining build points go into STR and CON. As the character gains levels, increase STR. This gives you a character that will play like your battle rogue -- adept at melee while still able to handle traps while adventuring.

You can also go with a pure rogue and select the Assassin prestige enhancement. This is somewhat of a trickier path because the strength of this build is as a party member.

The rogue/ranger multiclass will play well whether you are soloing content or working as a group member. The rogue can prove a lot more challenging to solo with but excels as a party member.

Personally, I'd recommend the rogue/ranger multiclass. In addition to the automatic feats the ranger class gets (making it adept at two-handed fighting with a high STR, two-weapon fighting (the most raw damage for typical characters that are not yet fully geared with the best equipment) and also ranged fighting due to autogranting of most of the essential ranged combat feats) rangers also get a wide assortment of spells making them very self-sufficient.

Rogues can, eventually, develop enough skill in UMD to mimic all of that but it takes a while to build the skill high enough to guarantee success. So, for a person returning to DDO -- or the new player -- the rogue/ranger multiclass is probably a much more forgiving choice.

Racially, there are advantages to the different races that can compliment the class choice. Some of the races are probably not going to be available to you. Dwarf, halfling and human are probably top choices if you do not have the premium races. Elf is a reasonable choice but hit points will be slightly lower. IMO warforged is the least good choice because of issues with healing -- but, some people like the various immunities that are automatic with warforged.

Of the premium races half-elf is probably the best choice -- and best overall choice if available to you. Half-orc lets you push the envelope on STR which gets you marginally better damage. Drow is easy to unlock and similar in many ways to elf.

Download the character planner and play around with it some. You should be able to get a good idea of what the character will be like by doing so.

Monk was my first choice but I'm going to be F2P for a couple months.
    If you think you will like monk. drop a small amount of cash to purchase it!

I support monk!

ok im biased... its also my favorite melee class..
    Outatime Exodus
    This character is dedicated to a once great game destroyed by a greedy corperation.. Goodbye Star Wars Galaxays!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWu8NOa69vM