Community Member

Default So is the old "epic" shard seal scroll system now defunct?

So I've started playing after a 7 month or so break. I notice that the new quests, the new zones, and the new gear no longer uses the HORRIBLE shard/seal/scroll system.

In fact I don't see any of that in most the new content.

Are we to assume all that gear is mothballed, and that system of attaining the "epic" items is no longer?

If so, I'm glad to see it go. I never got a single piece. Same with the old green items. Another setup of huge grinds, and just random luck to see if you get items.

Is there a plan to finalize their death, and just hand them out upon 6th completion, or something to get rid of the last bit of that loot system?

it would seem the devs are no longer going with the old system. its still there, but with more and more new shinies and the more gear choices we have, the less desirable that old Eberron epic loot will be. at best, it will be epic twink gear and maybe some will epic out an item if they happen to have all the pieces. theres been some thoughts and ideas by people here of making the shard/seal/scroll easier to get since its becoming more and more outdated, but haven't seen a comment by a dev about it or heard of any possible changes.

Community Member

It's just silly to keep the system in at all.. When it will take weeks of grinding to obtain, and hours to get level 23 you won't need that stuff. I'm sure the people who took the time to acquire that gear has all the top end gear already.

IMO the S/S/S system was defunct from the start, but it was all we had. Now? A lot, if not most, of the old epic gear has been relegated to "dofer" (do-for-now for those not familiar with the idiom) status, if you already have all the parts while questing for the better end-game stuff. Sure, there's exceptions like the Phiarlen Mirror Cloak, as light resistance exists nowhere else; but for the most part it's twink epic leveling gear.

If the devs really wanted to show us some love, I'ld think it wouldn't be too hard to whip up an exchange similar to what you can do with 'sands scrolls but extended to the whole system: seals for seals etc, perhaps broken up by "bundle" ie only Carnival shards can be swapped for Carnival shards, something like that...
    I would still like to see... Something that tests character versatility and player adaptability rather than character focus strength and quest knowledge.
    I play the quests for the content of the quests not just as an XP/min merry-go-round.
    Actual play experience is worth infinitely more than theorycrafting...

The old epic system used to work because we used to sit at level 20 forever and there wasn't anything else to do but farm for epic items and we got a lot of use out of them.
    Now we are level 20 for about an hour and the epic items aren't useful for very long.

We have lots more to do now than farm for hard to get items we won't use for long. It definitely needs to be looked at.

I totally support they allowing us to trade every scroll, seal and shard we have for an epic token (sands shards, chrono pieces and VoN shards for a raid token), and from now on put the finished epic items on the chests instead of seal/shards.
    Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist (12/14) [<o>]
    Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Kensai, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Community Member

For some items, sure. But there are still a lot of items that I think are worth farming for. Epic Antique Great Axe for one, Epic Midnights Greetings, those monk bracers that I can't ever remember how to spell.
    There are many more I can't think of right now because I'm still on my first cup of coffee.

ESoS, EAGA. Both are a lower minimum level and (IMO) better than the new epic 2handers. Sure, your chronoscope set isn't worth it now, but you can always use one of the epic claw items and the epic gem of many facets. I'm really unlucky when it comes to pulling all of the items needed to epic something, but I'd still take an eAGA any day.
    --Pealea, Peawee, worldpeas, givepeas achance, and whoopea on Khyber

The old system sucks but many of the items are still worth it.
    They have multiple Augment Slots, many of them have a Green or Blue slot which the new epic items are lacking.

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    The Stormreach Campaign
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Default Removing redundant systems

I'd propose the following to deal with the legacy epic system

• Allow us to trade tokens of the twelve and greater tokens of the twelve for Heroic Commendations.
    • Allow us to turn in existing shards and seals for tokens of the twelve.
    • Allow us to turn existing scrolls in for fragments of the twelve.
    • Change it so we get token instead of seals and shards.
    • Change it so we get fragments instead of scrolls.
    • Allow us to epic "old" items at a cost of just 1 Heroic Commendation.
    • You've removed the old legacy hangover and given a single system where things have value.
    • Change old raids to give a chance of dropping Heroic Commendations to make them relevant again and broaden the end-game from just 2 raids that get done to death.

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post

If the devs really wanted to show us some love, I'ld think it wouldn't be too hard to whip up an exchange similar to what you can do with 'sands scrolls but extended to the whole system: seals for seals etc, perhaps broken up by "bundle" ie only Carnival shards can be swapped for Carnival shards, something like that...
    WHOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that would be awesome Epic rings of spell storing and ESOS's for EVERYONE!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    WHOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that would be awesome Epic rings of spell storing and ESOS's for EVERYONE!!!!!
    Which isn't as gross as it sounds, really.

How many monks, TWFighters, or S&B tanks want either of those? How many who would benefit from one, don't want the other? The ring is just better version of an existing swap, hardly game breaking; and ESoS... Well, personally I've never seen what the big deal is. Sure, it's got a couple big numbers, but I'm not using it against undead or anything that requires non-adamantine DR. It's a great baseline trash beater, but that's about it IMHO. Not to mention, you still need the base item...
    I would still like to see... Something that tests character versatility and player adaptability rather than character focus strength and quest knowledge.
    I play the quests for the content of the quests not just as an XP/min merry-go-round.
    Actual play experience is worth infinitely more than theorycrafting...