Default Racial trees still suffering from the Spell Power problem

While there are many things I like about the new "get spell power for every AP you spend" approach in theory, in actual practice we're running into the same problem repeatedly: It's just not worth it to spend APs in trees that don't grant Spell Power if you're a caster.

As things currently stand, I can't find sufficient reason to invest in racial trees at all if my character is even moderately invested in spellcasting. Which is a real shame, because racial trees look all kinds of interesting! Please consider doing either of the following to rectify this:

• Go back to the old system of buying Spell Power directly. This seems like the simplest solution, and could at least serve as a placeholder until you find a way to better balance the "SP as a kicker for AP spent" approach.
    • Give racial trees access to Spell Power. This would make a lot of sense in particular for elves (and would finally give players a reason to roll up thematically-appropriate elven casters) and for Dragonmark enhancements (giving halflings bonus Healing/Light Spell Power makes a lot of sense, for example).

Overall, things are heading in a much better direction than they were in Alpha, but there are still a lot of core complaints that must be addressed, and this is one of them.
    Raever of Madness * Stormraver * Fireraver * Dreamraver * Skyraver * Solraver * Technoraver * Raverlution * Foraver
    Ghallanda ReRolled
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Turning Ghostbane into a meme is, in my book, the best thing to happen to DDO in awhile.

Agreed! This is one of the major balance issues still yet to be addressed in the enhancement system. Right now the racial trees seem relatively weak, compared to the class trees. When you combine that with a lack of spellpower, I don't think you're going to see many classes investing in their racial trees. I also think we're going to see a lot more humans next update if there is no change, since if you aren't buying up the underpowered racial enhancements, you might as well get a free feat and skillpoint per level.

I think putting spellpower directly back in the trees as a purchase, as opposed to tied to a points-spent per tree, is a great idea. This would also alleviate the similar problem that arises for hybrid caster/melee builds (mainly artificers, druids and bards) and also provide an opportunity to put positive spellpower back in for rangers and paladins.
    ~ Cheara : Raizertron : Pozitron : Higgz Bowtron : Illudium : Staphe Infection : Abraa Capocus ~
    Nooby McNoobsalot
    Ghallanda Rerolled

Quote Originally Posted by dejafu View Post

• Give racial trees access to Spell Power. This would make a lot of sense in particular for elves (and would finally give players a reason to roll up thematically-appropriate elven casters) and for Dragonmark enhancements (giving halflings bonus Healing/Light Spell Power makes a lot of sense, for example).
    I would love to see that. Even just a tiny healing spellpower for halflings.

Anyway, an easy solution for the problem would be to just give us X amount of bonus AP to spend only on racial trees, while keeping the 80AP but only for class trees.
    Cannith
    Csodaszarvas
    Valyria - Hulkie - Sillymilly - Killberry - Silvyanna - Walour - Corgak - Thalrian-1

Community Member AylinIsAwesome's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moltier View Post
    I would love to see that. Even just a tiny healing spellpower for halflings.

Anyway, an easy solution for the problem would be to just give us X amount of bonus AP to spend only on racial trees, while keeping the 80AP but only for class trees.
    Like getting an extra AP whenever we get a heroic level that can only be spent on the racial tree? I could get behind that.