Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Rate the classes in order of Strongest to Weakest

In your opinion and experience, what are the strongest classes (can include races or multiclass builds i.e. Wiz/rogue, Evoker Fvs, Cold Warf Sorc) and what are the weakest? I understand the beauty of classes is that theyre different and play diff. roles in a team, but overall, what is the easiest and what is the hardest to get to 20, or 25, given that you sometimes will need to solo, which are the ones that frustrate you, which are the ones that feel like easy buttons.

Just interested in hearing your thoughts and discussion about this

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by supott View Post
    In your opinion and experience, what are the strongest classes
    Not including specific builds and stating destinies because far too many things would have to be listed. Best destiny for the class/build assumed.

EE endgame, every man for himself type questing, Survivability + DPS being the main factors:

Tier 1) Arti, Sorc, Wiz, Monk (including "'monkchers"),

Tier 2) Fvs, Paladin, Druid

Tier 3) Rogue, Fighter, Ranger, Cleric, Bard

Tier 4) Barbarian

Rankings change as the game changes, but casters commonly find themselves near the top because of the ability to be ranged and self healing.

1. sorc/druid
    2. fvs/wiz/cleric/arti
    3. monk
    4. anything with a deep monk splash
    5. anything with a deep druid splash
    6. bard/pally/ranger
    7. rogue
    8. fighter
    9. barbarian

the list does not take into consideration gear which can greatly alter things, such as having a rad II rapier for a rogue life makes things much easier, or having silver flame pots, or a tr buddy that happens to be doing a cleric life would make barb and fighter much much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by FlaviusMaximus View Post
    Not including specific builds and stating destinies because far too many things would have to be listed. Best destiny for the class/build assumed.

EE endgame, every man for himself type questing, Survivability + DPS being the main factors:

Mainly agree, except please qualify these with:
    Warforged Artificer, Juggernaut builds
    Warforged Sorcerer
    Warforged Archmage wizard
    Furyshot Monkchers

drop Fleshie Sorcerer, Palemaster Fleshie Wizard and non-ranged monks to tier 1.5 or tier 2.

Why is Cleric not tier 2? Its as good as a FvS with the Angel Of Vengeance destiny, is it not?

May be move Ranger and Cleric to tier 2. Rangers can be very good with good bows and good healing enhancements and good multi-class builds with 6 levels of monk or the exploiter builds.

Tier 4) Barbarian
    Move Bard down to tier 4. Their DPS not as good as a fighter or a barbarian; their healing are not as good as a divine class like cleric, favored soul or a druid and their crowd crontrol takes too long to sing and breaks easily when someone hits the mez monsters.

Barbarians can move up to tier 3 when they have UMD or a half elf with cleric dilly.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Community Member

Rankings change as the game changes, but casters commonly find themselves near the top because of the ability to be ranged and self healing.
    This really is the truth. But beyond that, what is 'strongest' while getting from 1-cap is not the same as what is strongest while playing DDO's version of endgame grinding while at cap. They have substantially different gameplay.

Since I've only played with a few friends, I'll just have to rate the classes based on how I've seen them (Edit: Based on GENERAL gameplay from levels 1-20, since I feel "endgame" is TRing and not sitting at cap farming EE a la WoW-style gameplay):

1&2) Monk or anything with a 2+ Monk splash. Especially since that's all ANYONE runs these days...
    3) WF Sorc/Wiz/Art. Survivability and adaptable to almost every situation.
    4) Everything but Barbarian
    5) Barbarian. I hear more *PING!*s with a Barbarian in the party than without.
    6) Dex Trap Monkey Assassination Rogue.

Community Member

1-20
    1 ) warforged sorc, caster cleric/fvs, caster heavy arty
    2 ) warforged wizzy, any PM in 18 -20, top evasion + umd melees, good melee divines
    3 ) self hjealing melees
    4 ) everything else ... I have no experience with druids

EE
    1 ) warforged shiradis, monkchers, best juggs, arties
    2 ) Top DC casters, melee divines, self healing melees + wisdom dark monks
    3 ) lol, reroll

I will always be a barb, sorcs, fvs, arti get boring.

In my opinion? There is no class worth playing except Rogue. It's the most fun. Sometimes its ok being a Cleric, but I can do more on a Rogue than I can with any other class.
    The problem is never how to get new, innovative thoughts into your mind, but how to get old ones out. Every mind is a building filled with archaic furniture. Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it.
    Dee Hock

For me:

1-20
    1. Wf sorcs
    2. Pale masters / divine evokers / Artis
    3. Melee divines, druids and all those monk splashed melee builds who use stunning fist.
    4. Non sp-healing melees (except monk)
    5. Cha based bard and very low dps builds

EE
    1. Any build that uses melee (THF preferably) + manyshot and can self heal a bit. I'm assuming this build will switch between dreadnought (master blitz) and fury. Im also including well played rogues and fighters.
    2. Wis based monks and Monchers.
    3. Geared (and tons of past lives) casters: pale masters, wf archimage, wf sorcs and some druids.
    4 Evoker divines / Fleshie archimages or sorcs
    61. People that always use unyelding sentinel just to have 200ish more hp
    Argo: - Trolls Lair / Intransigence

Tier 4) Barbarian

You've got to be joking about paladin. They are by far the most useless class in DDO (post U19).

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    You've got to be joking about paladin. They are by far the most useless class in DDO (post U19).
    I havent tried it out myself, nor have I seen it in action, but they say the synergy between smite evil and adrenaline over load, basically lets you one shot any trash in EE, that and endless lay on hands makes you hard to kill, plus the best saves...

When the expansion comes out, I'm expecting to see some paladins build out of a purple dragon knight iconic to make use of the purple dragon knights ability to use cha as a damage and att mod for max cha builds with huge adrenaline smites.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    I havent tried it out myself, nor have I seen it in action,
    So you're speaking with ASOLUTLEY no clue as to what you're talking about.

but they say the synergy between smite evil and adrenaline over load, basically lets you one shot any trash in EE, that and endless lay on hands makes you hard to kill, plus the best saves...

I have tried it . . . was hoping the synergy with very good self-healing would pay off.

it sucks. It's absolutely terrible. On Sobrien beatdown tests with similar gear it couldn't out-DPS my Stalwart defender.

When the expansion comes out, I'm expecting to see some paladins build out of a purple dragon knight iconic to make use of the purple dragon knights ability to use cha as a damage and att mod for max cha builds with huge adrenaline smites.
    They will still suck.

So you're speaking with ASOLUTLEY no clue as to what you're talking about.
    Harsh way of putting it but yeah, and I mentioned that I havent tried it because I don't want to come across as if I was some kind of expert on the subject, but still thought it relevent to the discussion that others had said it was good.

I have tried it . . . was hoping the synergy with very good self-healing would pay off.

it sucks. It's absolutely terrible. On Sobrien beatdown tests with similar gear it couldn't out-DPS my Stalwart defender.
    Worse than a stalwart is surprising.

They will still suck.
    It would probably be worse overall than a str pally, since even if the adrenaline smites are huge, they are only getting 100% of their cha mod instead of 150% of their str mod and you can get cha to about half of what you can get str to. I still expect people to roll them.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrande View Post
    Why is Cleric not tier 2? Its as good as a FvS with the Angel Of Vengeance destiny, is it not?
    Cleric's don't have AoV, for any direct damage build... the spell power boost plus archon places FVS ahead of clerics.
    For melee builds, I might go with cleric's being a little bit ahead.
    Last edited by Ancient; 06-28-2013 at 04:20 PM.

Community Member

i haven't played all classes and i have yet to dig into Epic Elite, only mostly epic hard, but these are my ratings:

1) WF Sorc - Haven't tried one yet but it seems to be obvious. (Tried fleshie sorc)
    2) Palemaster - Haven't tried AM yet. With or without evasion. Can be better than Sorc on EN,EH
    2) WF Artificer - I haven't tried one yet but just based on watching/reading about them.
    2) FVS (High / Decent wis) - Blade Barrier best spell for me for leveling. Sucks that their effectivity drops down on EE.
    3) Monk - Haven't seriously invested / capped one yet.
    3) Druid - Currenty playing one. I have to say its "Good enough" but feeling the lack of power compared to above.
    3) Cleric - I find FVS better just by spell points and what you can afford to do with it, and wings.
    4) Ranger, Paladin, Rogue - Have yet to seriously play
    4) Bard - I agree with above commenter.. Very slow to fascinate. Cha based sucks - You're worse than a wizard and with not much else. Sure you contribute something unique to the party with buffs, but that's about it.
    5) Fighter, Barbarian - Have yet to seriously play

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

it sucks. It's absolutely terrible.
    I have a fury smiting KOTC pally in my rotation. It's a one hit kill in EH quests but not in EE.

I could see moving pally down to tier 3, but not because of the DPS. A lack of tactical bonuses/room for tactical feats and the need to be in melee would be my reasoning.

In your opinion and experience, what are the strongest classes (can include races or multiclass builds i.e. Wiz/rogue, Evoker Fvs, Cold Warf Sorc) and what are the weakest? I understand the beauty of classes is that theyre different and play diff. roles in a team, but overall, what is the easiest and what is the hardest to get to 20, or 25, given that you sometimes will need to solo, which are the ones that frustrate you, which are the ones that feel like easy buttons.

an experienced player behind the character of any build are the strongest. doesn't matter if its solo or full party. I don't believe in 1 class or 1 build is stronger or better than another. its really how you play them. of course, some classes may seem easier than others because they can CC and self heal with mana only the player limits himself to. other classes can still be just as good without that, but only if the player is willing to use skill, patience and knowledge.

ya no, a piece of * class is always that. I don't care if baby Jesus reincarnated as chuck Norris was behind the class, it's still gonna suck.

And no, theirs only one definition to survivability and dps. This ain't the 100 definitions of human interaction mr Clinton has rolling around up there.

Survivability is splashes/arcane robotics/amped self heals instant, along with the ability to not be anywhere near swinging range in EE unless some way of locking them down while avoiding 8 attacks out of 10. And of course dps is killing the ee trash in a moment.

So for that barbs are always at the bottom getting screwed by the limitations of rage, then it's mostly a climb from the bottom of classes thats dps sucks even sacrificing everything for it, to classes that have self heals but even with ED's have mediocre dmg at the best of epic moment times. And then finally to your everyday you take this this and this for maximum efficiency kill alot builds.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

Community Member

1. Rogue was the easiest I ever took to cap.
    2. Barbs are next easiest, if you keep a well-managed healer in tow.
    3. Other melees.
    4. Casters? Too many hotbars.

Haven't done Ranger, so don't know where it will fit.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast