Community Member

Default Undead Need Deathblock?

Do undead need deathblock?

Does my Pale Master benefit from a deathblock item when he is undead form? Or is being undead sufficient to protect against death effects?

I know that, as undead, I do not need a fort item or an underwater action item, but I am not sure about deathblock. It seems like it should not be needed, but I am not 100% sure.

Anyone know?

Thanks!
    -Ozmar the Undead Neophyte
    I can has no signature. Alas!

You do not need deathblock/deathward as undead.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by OzmarDDO View Post
    Do undead need deathblock?

Does my Pale Master benefit from a deathblock item when he is undead form? Or is being undead sufficient to protect against death effects?

I know that, as undead, I do not need a fort item or an underwater action item, but I am not sure about deathblock. It seems like it should not be needed, but I am not 100% sure.

Anyone know?

Thanks!
    -Ozmar the Undead Neophyte
    You dont need Deathblock in Undead Form, although i would recommend having it on a swap item for quests where undead form is not favorable. (I have it slotted permanent on my 25 Wiz because i sometimes just forget to activate form ^^)

For Heroic you dont need Fortification slotted but for Epic (20+) you need it.
    All mobs in Epic reduce your Fortification in height of their CR and some also have stacking debuffs for it, so slot at least moderate Fortification.

Spell absorb items are still not working correctly with Undead spells but even so i suggest getting hold of a Spell absorb Ioun Stone, its great for TR and it has its uses in Epic.
    Taenebrae, Daemonsoul, Daemoneyes and Daemonheart of Argonessen
    Glitzakram - Trade Thread

I would carry a deathblock item and a Deathward clicky

In Undead form you are immune to level drain, and insta death spells like Finger (Effects against the non-undead) but just like undead you are subject to spells like "Undeath to Death" and implosion. Mind you they are high level spells but with the level cap raise coming it may become more common for spells like this to be available to Enemy Casters.

The other reason is for quests where being in Undead form could be considered suicidal. Such quests throw light based spells around like being in a laser tag arena with 100 other people. An example would be the first half of Running with the Devils.

On fortification keep in mind that the 100% fortification of Undead form does stack with Equipment
    At the Epic Level there are more enemies that can lower your fortification and having a 145% + fortification can greatly reduce the chance of every being critically hit by physical damage. Additionally with Yugoloth Favor you can utilize a 15 minute potion that increases your Intelligence by 2 (+1DC) at the cost of 50% fortification. So taking advantage of Heavy Fortification will mean you will still have 150% fortification while under the influence of the Yugoloth Potion.

If not using a Yugoloth Int potion you can also get away with Moderate Fortification putting you at 175% fortification.
    Last edited by Enoach; 06-28-2013 at 10:40 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    You do not need deathblock/deathward as undead.
    Thanks!

-Ozmar the Death-Immune

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    I would carry a deathblock item and a Deathward clicky...
    Cool, thanks! That's a lot of good advice.

-Ozmar the Informed