Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why did you join a guild?

What was the main perk to being in a guild that lead you to make the choice to join when invited to be in one or lead you to petition to be in one?

I ask because when I am invited to join a guild, I always ask what the advantages are and I never hear anything I find all that compelling. I suppose there are social reasons (being part of a group and identifying with that group), but you don’t necessarily have to be in a guild for this.

Regardless, I am curious as to why you decided to be in a guild; what was it that the guild offered that you felt you needed/wanted to join?

for the social aspect. I just joined a guild that runs raids twice a week and also sort of play together if they can.
    I really dont care about the shipbuffs.
    Real join date: Update 7

I joined a guild long before Guild Level and Ships and Buffs existed

My reasons

1. To join a group of people that shared a common playstyle and goal
    2. To find a group of people that I get along with

Advantage being that you can have a good chance of finding people to quest with and are willing to do quests with you.

To me the benefit of a Guild comes down to the people that make it up. A group of people that can be a support group in your questing and in turn I can support in their questing. The other advantage is that they eventually become a "known" in that you learn how to Synergize your play to get the maximum enjoyment, you know how they will react and they know how you will react to situations.

I look at it as an extended gaming family with all the good and warts.

Every other benefit of a guild is pure fluff to me and has no barring on if I would join or not.

Basic Reasons to Join a Guild:

Ship Buffs - Very useful, in my opinion, especially the xp buff.

Everything in one place - Higher level guilds can get access to bankers, a mailbox, bartender, greensteel crafting alters, etc. All that can be accessed elsewhere, but it is a nice "perk"

Guild Chest - Can be useful as a place to store loot that you don't need but others might.

Faster Transportation

Access to Guild Vendors

Access to Guild Slots

Why I joined a guild:

I like being in small guilds as the members become kind of like a mini, online family. You can always depend on them to help you out in searching for loot, getting flagged for a quest, doing raids together, etc. It is nice to have that group of people who are kind of a constant in the ever changing sea of PUGs. Some of my guildies and I are good friends now and will contact each other outside of DDO. I LOVE my guildies and probably would not even play DDO if it weren't for them. It makes the game more enjoyable, in my opinion, to be in a guild. Plus, where else can you have awesome dance parties than guild airships???
    Kobold say, "Yark Yark!"

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    I joined a guild long before Guild Level and Ships and Buffs existed

The other advantage is that they eventually become a "known" in that you learn how to Synergize your play to get the maximum enjoyment, you know how they will react and they know how you will react to situations.
    This is an excellent point! I love the Attack on Stormreach adventure pack, but have more fun running Undermine, for example, when I can use the demolition charges (by accident of course! hehe) on my guildies. That satisfying DING DING DING, as each of them die and I'm standing far away laughing at their soul stones. But they don't get mad and it gives quests a new experience from PUG groups to Guild Groups.
    Kobold say, "Yark Yark!"

Community Member

Stability and accountability. Joining a guild is like having a ready to go friends list of people you can rely on not to think of them self first, last and always. At least not for long. It is also a stable group that I can learn what to expect from others and play to that.

While a guild isn't necessary for this, it is a lot faster and simpler than to try to make all those contacts individually.

The ships and buffs are just a distraction added to this IMO.

Community Member

I agree with most of the previous posters.

I started with random pugs
    I moved to having a large friends list
    I noticed I'd log in and go straight to my friends list
    I rather enjoyed playing with the same people
    I found a group of like minded players, and joined their guild

Ever been in that pug where you thought "wow, if only all groups were like this" No matter what your play style, there is a guild out there which can give you that experience.

Community Member

Several reasons.
    Chief among them being that it sucks running only pugs.
    I could not imagine playing this game without being in a guild.
    Could care less about the ship really. Though it does make traversing the world much easier, it is not vital.
    I have been in 3 guilds since I started this game.
    The 1st one sucked. The 2nd one I was kinda sad to leave, but it was time. This one I'm in now, is smaller, and I like it that way.

Acquaintances that became Companions that became Friends.

It's a pool of people I know and care about. Both for helping in game and in real life.
    It's how D&D is supposed to be played. With a group of people interacting.

The fast travel and buffs are a nice bonus as well.
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

When I join a guild it's because I already have friends that are in the guild that I like to run quests with.

Why I join a guild is to run raids. There is no better way to get a good group of people that can get raids done. I'm not huge into raiding or anything but I like running them occasionally and running them in a guild is the best way.

The ship buffs I don't care about and sometimes don't use to up the game difficulty or because I can buff myself.

The social aspect is nice and I've been in guilds that were mostly just social and fun but if I can't ever talk my guildies into running raids or anything difficult then I might as well be using my friends list and pugging.

Default This is much better than my answer.

Quote Originally Posted by danotmano1998 View Post
    Acquaintances that became Companions that became Friends.

It's a pool of people I know and care about. Both for helping in game and in real life.
    It's how D&D is supposed to be played. With a group of people interacting.

The fast travel and buffs are a nice bonus as well.
    My first response was going to be "Guild chat. period. to talk about the noobs dying in the quest and causing me 10% behind their backs."

But then i read this and realized this is more along the truth. We have our guild of four so that we can run whatever we want so that we can have fun and make fun of each other when someone (looking at you Rob) faceplants in a quest in a laughable manner.

in game aquaintences became guildmates became friends and even though we are in 4 seperate states i would help them both in game and IRL in whatever they needed... as the old saying goes 'Friends help you move, REAL Friends help you move bodies."
    Darkrune TRx2 lvl 20 FvS, Darkdivinity lvl 20 cleric, Darkaxe lvl 20 fighter, Darktune TRx1 lvl 4bard, Darkbow lvl 20 AA Ranger, Darksoldier TRx1 lvl 20 Barb, Darkspells TRx2 lvl 20 Wizard, Darkbattle TRx1 lvl 20 artificer, Darktemper lvl 17 Ranger, Darkfists TRx1 lvl 20 Monk, Darkherald lvl 5 paladin Guild Leader of No Politics Thelanis Server

When I joined my first guild, I had no idea really what guilds were about. It died off.

When I joined my second guild, it was pretty cool. I had a group of people that I reguarly ran with, and leard stuff from. I decided thats what I wanted from a guild.

I thin left that guild on really bad terms (long story short, a lot of nasty people started joining).

My third guild was pretty much the same way, though I was unable to find friends to run with. That guild disbanded. A fairly bug guild too.

So I decided to split my toons up into different guilds given that 2 of the last 3 guilds went belly-up. They, in turn, went belly-up.

Finally I got into the guild I'm in. We want to make it a social guild, but it seems like that's not the way a lot of the members in it want it to be (lots of people who solo, and time differences). So me and the guild leader (and maybe a couple of other guildies on rare occasion) run together with a couple of other people.

if I had to give a reason to join a guild, it would be to find what I had when I got into guild #2. I mean, the guild vendors are nice, and the ship buffs don't suck, but having people to run with on content is probablty the best reason.

Quote Originally Posted by AsburyParker View Post
    Regardless, I am curious as to why you decided to be in a guild; what was it that the guild offered that you felt you needed/wanted to join?
    I hate playing a D&D MMORPG solo.

The friend list and the custom channels are too limited to create ingame communities.

I joined my first guild because I was in Korthos and someone sent me a blind invite. I don't really recommend this reason because you miss out on the best parts of being in a guild.

When I started running with a fixed group, we made a couple guilds as the group evolved. People would join or quit playing. It was fun, but there were only ever six of us at a time. Eventually the core members of our group wound up leaving the game.

The next guild I joined was a huge guild. I knew some people in it, and it gave me a chance to make connections with people I might not have run into in a pug. I learned a lot, and I still have many friends in that guild. I still recommend it to new players who are looking for a group of people to help them along.

When I joined my current guild, I was looking for a change of pace. Belonging to that big of a group of people is like being in a big, loud, noisy family. This one is smaller and quieter. Everyone in it is very capable. We group together because we like and respect one another, but I don't group with Tuileries very often.

Anyway, I guess my point is that I've joined different guilds for different reasons.the ship buffs are a perk, but I guess I joined for the experience.
    --Pealea, Peawee, worldpeas, givepeas achance, and whoopea on Khyber

Cause i love the ppl in it
    How to revamp past life reward system <--- working again
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We absolutely planned for Fighter to still have Haste Boost. It's absolutely a bug. Any similar issues that look "wrong" to any player should be bugged.
    Developers should fix this

The first guild I joined was like 5 people, mainly just the founder and me, and he eventually stopped playing so it was just me in a level 25 guild.

I was then recruited by a medium-sized guild, joined and had a blast. Made a lot of good friends I still have on the server, but once decay no longer counted number of accounts the better players in that guild went over to an uber elite guild. I was granted leadership by the outgoing leader and stayed behind along with ~20 others, keeping our then-67 level guild going.

A month or two later we were offered and agreed to be absorbed into a level 90 guild of very good but not uber elite players. While my old guildies had moved on to an EE raiding guild, this guild is more of an EH raiding guild. I love it, have made a ton of new game friends I quite like, and we run 2 raids a night 5 days a week.

As silly as this sounds, the main reason I decided to absorb the remainder of our medium guild into the large one I'm still a part of today is because they run LoB, and I really wanted alchemical gear.

Community Member

I got an invite from a real-life friend, what was I going to do say "no"?

My P&P D&D group decided to check out MMOs after 3 of us played Lego Universe with our kids and thought an adult version of that type of game may be fun. Since we are all avid D&D players we decided to try DDO. We formed a completely unbalanced party of 4 fighters and went on our way running level 1 quests on casual. Within a few hours I got a guild invite from one of my friends that figured out how to make a guild. So we built our guild from level 1 up and expanded a little bit from there. As a few of our kids got older they started playing and joined us from time to time. We also added a few people in the game we met along the way but many of the online friends I met were already in other guilds and it stayed that way.

Not all that exciting of a story, but our guild does mean a lot to me.
    CC Casting Druid: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...C-Summer-Build
    Shiradi Wiz Plan for 1st Lifers: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...r-First-Lifers
    LE Capable Int Assassin - U29: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...Assassin-Build
    Warlock DC Caster: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ld-Blast-Build

Several characters on Sarlona all starting with "Rand" in the Guild "Guardians of House Cannith". My main four characters are Randowl (20 Warlock EA DPS Build), Randslar (Bard 14 / Fighter 4 / Rogue 2 Swashbuckler), Randek (Druid CC Caster 17/Fvs 3) and Randomall (Rogue 20 assassin).

I joined a guild for several reasons. First, I was tired of playing alone and soloing most of the time. Next, I wanted to meet more people on a regular basis and form some friendships in-game. Also, I admit, I wanted the ship buffs and quick travel options. Another way to put it, I was looking for a home with good people, and that's what I eventually found after several attempts with different guilds.

In Tyrs I found everything I was looking for in a guild -- Good folks, lots of activities, a running mate for the majority of quests. As a plus, I've developed friendship with several of my guild mates that goes outside the game. That's huge for a socially-challenged person like me.
    There is no free lunch.

I started my two-man a guild so I would stop getting guild invites, so I could have a custom title floating above my head, and so my brother and I could have a private chat channel without having to /tell each other all the time. The ship buffs and vendors that we earned after awhile are a nice bonus.
    Furthermore, I believe that the bugs and lag must be fixed.

i join a guild for many reasons.

*constant groups for parties/raids
    *friends
    *new people if the guild recruits
    *similar people/styles

ship buffs are just a perk to me. now if some of the things vanish from my list of why i joined initially then i might think to myself its time to move on. im not going to join a guild who doesn't have a sense of humor or think this game is a job. Or just another number in their guild where no one helps each other.

yeah sorry no thanks that wont get me ever. Everyone's needs of course will be different from each other. Those are mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast