Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default My last login until you fix it.

Well.

4 years is a pretty good run for being able to log into a game, select a character, wait 4 minutes while Windows is "not responding" after character selection before the game decides to load. I usually get anywhere from 3 to 9 hands of Free cell as I wait for windows to "respond" when I attempt to utilize the game client.

Unfortunately, 4 excellent years of only having to be patient and wait it out, minimizing the client so it loads quicker then not minimizing it loads, play some Freecell until I heard the game sounds is completely and totally lost in the new and not improved and completely recent (within the last 1 week...less I am told) of being DC'd and given a total white screen immediately after selecting my character.

See the biggest problem is you have some quests in this game, and they are so utterly dark that for some people, the absolute only way to run them is to up the bright and up the gamma in the game (basically, all the sjadow quests in Necropolis) so one can see just enough to play them. When one does this, I assume it to be adjusting the Gamma at least, and I could be wrong, but I'm not, anyway, when one does this, (me) even after finishing the chain and resetting the visual settings back to default, once one DC's at ANY TIME the gamma screw up that follows the DC carries over to the computer as a whole. Meaning, I DC, and my desktop is almost a white screen from the gamma.

I didn't believe this myself when I was told by family it happened for the first time last Friday on character selection, as they said they uninstalled the client (and he wouldn't lie about it) uninstalled ALL the clients, redownloaded, re-removed Pando, Re-blocked Awesomium, Re-burnt new CD's and fixed it. Except now, reinstalling the client as a last resort does not fix the problem with the gamma carrying over to infect the entire computer (read that as video card) requiring a complete system restart to fix it.................Right up until you log on again and that first login after restart is an instant DC. Again.

So, until you fine folks at Turbine HQ decide this is a problem and fix it, I will not be logging into the game except for an occasional login to get the free stuff you give away, once my gamma is screwed, I may as well get the freebies right? I think I may even just log on once a week for a free roll, free dialy token and free store deal.

I truly appreciate all the dev interaction these days. But not fixing the fundamental problems with the game that keep people from being able to even log in and play without it causing grief afterwards is too much for me.

I will still be here, on the forums. The rest of the family can do what they like, as long as they re-start the computer after a DC, which has been a rule for 3 years now anyway. Just being DC'd before I can even get to the game in the first place is enough for me to throw my hands in the air and say enough is enough of playing a broken game. Frankly I get the same waste off time from Freecell and MineSweeper and the DDO forums as I do DDO. And they don't spam me to go spend money in the windows store every time I make a click.

So, see you all here, but not there, and I truly pray that you Trubine folks will FINALLY COMMENT ON THIS ISSUE PLEASE> instead of just ignoring the players, and the threads that post about this. This is a game FLAW, and as such, DESERVES TO BE EXPLAINED TO US>>>>> THE PLAYERS.

Good weekend wishes to all, I am just tired of the no comment attitude from our community representatives on issues like this that continually crop up and get ignored.

Until it is fixed, no more game log ins from me Turbine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Codog View Post
    [*]Small evolutionary change that can be completed in shorter stretches of time is more readily achieveable for us than large _revolutionary_ change. Revolutionary change can be rather destabilizing from an engineering and balance perspective.

Community Member

Default Uninstall

Quote Originally Posted by forummuleonly View Post
    Well.

4 years is a pretty good run for being able to log into a game, select a character, wait 4 minutes while Windows is "not responding" after character selection before the game decides to load. I usually get anywhere from 3 to 9 hands of Free cell as I wait for windows to "respond" when I attempt to utilize the game client.

Unfortunately, 4 excellent years of only having to be patient and wait it out, minimizing the client so it loads quicker then not minimizing it loads, play some Freecell until I heard the game sounds is completely and totally lost in the new and not improved and completely recent (within the last 1 week...less I am told) of being DC'd and given a total white screen immediately after selecting my character.

See the biggest problem is you have some quests in this game, and they are so utterly dark that for some people, the absolute only way to run them is to up the bright and up the gamma in the game (basically, all the sjadow quests in Necropolis) so one can see just enough to play them. When one does this, I assume it to be adjusting the Gamma at least, and I could be wrong, but I'm not, anyway, when one does this, (me) even after finishing the chain and resetting the visual settings back to default, once one DC's at ANY TIME the gamma screw up that follows the DC carries over to the computer as a whole. Meaning, I DC, and my desktop is almost a white screen from the gamma.

I didn't believe this myself when I was told by family it happened for the first time last Friday on character selection, as they said they uninstalled the client (and he wouldn't lie about it) uninstalled ALL the clients, redownloaded, re-removed Pando, Re-blocked Awesomium, Re-burnt new CD's and fixed it. Except now, reinstalling the client as a last resort does not fix the problem with the gamma carrying over to infect the entire computer (read that as video card) requiring a complete system restart to fix it.................Right up until you log on again and that first login after restart is an instant DC. Again.

So, until you fine folks at Turbine HQ decide this is a problem and fix it, I will not be logging into the game except for an occasional login to get the free stuff you give away, once my gamma is screwed, I may as well get the freebies right? I think I may even just log on once a week for a free roll, free dialy token and free store deal.

I truly appreciate all the dev interaction these days. But not fixing the fundamental problems with the game that keep people from being able to even log in and play without it causing grief afterwards is too much for me.

I will still be here, on the forums. The rest of the family can do what they like, as long as they re-start the computer after a DC, which has been a rule for 3 years now anyway. Just being DC'd before I can even get to the game in the first place is enough for me to throw my hands in the air and say enough is enough of playing a broken game. Frankly I get the same waste off time from Freecell and MineSweeper and the DDO forums as I do DDO. And they don't spam me to go spend money in the windows store every time I make a click.

So, see you all here, but not there, and I truly pray that you Trubine folks will FINALLY COMMENT ON THIS ISSUE PLEASE> instead of just ignoring the players, and the threads that post about this. This is a game FLAW, and as such, DESERVES TO BE EXPLAINED TO US>>>>> THE PLAYERS.

Good weekend wishes to all, I am just tired of the no comment attitude from our community representatives on issues like this that continually crop up and get ignored.

The game stores all of the user preferences somewhere in the user directory and does not delete them on uninstall. Find that directory and delete it.

Community Member

Default uninstall worked before.

Quote Originally Posted by gzargel View Post
    The game stores all of the user preferences somewhere in the user directory and does not delete them on uninstall. Find that directory and delete it.
    We have been using the same set of disks that we burnt after Assault on Stormreach was released, and they always fixed the problem. Those disks are now obsolete and no longer even allow connection to the server to update (this I do believe has to do with the URL changes of the forums/game, but I have no empirical truth).

I do not dispute what you state after the forum update (which is when I believe the changes took place, likely caused by a less expensive domain carrier, but I shoot guns, not program computers), but as far as before the forum update, at least since December of last year, uninstalling and reinstalling cleared the DC Gamma issue for this machine. The disks were burnt because it took too long to download the client.

EDIT: Correction, the burnt disks work for a single client, but only after downloading the new client and using the workaround where you need to replace a folder with the backup folder. The disks do not have a backup folder in them since they are so old and the workaround of adding the backup folder to other clients from the disks didn't activate the other clients.

Anyhoo, I am going back to my game of pong for a little bit, what a great and inexpensive way to waste some time.
    Last edited by forummuleonly; 06-28-2013 at 12:15 AM.
    [*]Small evolutionary change that can be completed in shorter stretches of time is more readily achieveable for us than large _revolutionary_ change. Revolutionary change can be rather destabilizing from an engineering and balance perspective.

how old is the computer? I ask this because it sounds very similar to the behavior I've had at various times in the past when my video card was dying, weird gamma problems, crashes when playing a game, ext ext ext.

Man do I miss neg rep it went well with popcorn

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Bottom line. Your computer has issues.

It's not DDO's issues. It's your computer's issue so you can wait until the dinos return for them to fix your problem but it isn't going to happen.

Since 2006 I've installed DDO on probably at least 12+ computers. On XP, Vista, 7, and 8. Probably 15+ different graphics cards in all. HTPC's, laptops, work stations. And I've experienced nothing like the hardships and technical complications that you've experienced. It, frankly, sounds like the most outdated, slowest, piece-of-**** computer I ever installed this game on (a laptop, xp, 4200 rpm drive, with integrated graphics and only 2 gigs of memory) would have blown your computer out of the water when it comes to loading into the game... and believe me, it was pretty slow.

If you just want to vent and complain. Great, have fun. But if you want to fix the problem, I can tell you now that your best shot wont be in waiting for Turbine to figure out what's wrong with your computer... it will be for you to figure it out yourself.

I'd give 10 to 1 odds that if you upgrade your OS and replace your graphics card most of the problems go away. Though, given the description of your load times and dc's, you could have an issue with your memory, HD, and/or network card as well.

Otherwise, good luck, and have fun playing pong and freecell.

Quote Originally Posted by Full_Bleed View Post
    I'd give 10 to 1 odds that if you upgrade your OS and replace your graphics card most of the problems go away. Though, given the description of your load times and dc's, you could have an issue with your memory, HD, and/or network card as well.
    I've read, in these forums no less that some people who also have had problems with load times and/or mystical DC's have managed to fix some of them with... adding DDO directory to virus scanner ignore list.

Each dat file contains thousands of smaller files
    on loading character, game wants to load game data.
    on accessing that data, virus scanners want to scan that data first.
    DDO waits only certain time until it DC's and doesn't understand why file access is so slow.

well, that is the theory anyway. some have fixed it with putting DDO on SSD (so fast that virus scanning is almost "instant") or reinstall (dat files less fragmented, load faster) but i've not tried either and thus I'm not sure if either way works. some posters have claimed they do.
    Amazing, they actually managed to fix forum account post count and stuff without me bug reporting it!
    O.o there is hope out there yet!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Full_Bleed View Post
    ...Since 2006 I've installed DDO on probably at least 12+ computers.,,
    Have you tried removing Pando and blocking Awesomium to see if it causes any issues?

Community Member

It really does sound like you need a new pc. I need 1 desperate.
    I use an old amd 64x2 5200 with 2gb ram and a hd6670 graphics card with xp.
    It takes several mins to load windows and the same 4 mins as you to load ddo. This is not ddo's fault its my old pc.
    I have dc's some of which are ddo's fault BUT it does'nt help again because of my old pc and i'm sure half of those would stop if i had a better one. More importantly i'd be re-logged and playing again in 1 min not 10.

I'm no computer expert but i built this pc myself and will be building me a better one within the next few days AT LAST!

It amuses me a lot when i'm asked now and again to 'have a look' at my friends pc's.
    They have a brand new leather sofa. BIG tv, new kitchen, posh car. AND a 5 year old pc that was 5 yrs out of date when they bought it special offer. Get it?

One thing i have learnt is ddo(and mmo's in general) are cpu and memory heavy not graphics card so much.
    My new pc i5-3350, 8gb ram and a 128gb ssd with win 7 or 8. I'l be using my old dvd drive sata II hd and graphics card which will work good enough for me. With just an OS,anti virus and ddo on the ssd I wont care if i dc anymore :-)
    Just awestruck, wether it be a Dragon flying overhead Stormreach, that glowing character who just zoomed in'n'out of the Pub, or that i can drink a Beholder under the table and best of all rescuing Damsels in distress.

so this has been happening for the last 4 years and its the first time you thought something was wrong ?

wow. okay, the problem is your PC and setup and basic lack of understanding.
    when was the last time you re-installed Windows? how much **** do you have running in the background? im guessing a lot. lots of bloatware sitting in the background that has never been cleaned up.

jump to this page http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner and install it.
    Run it,
    go to TOOLS,
    click on StartUp and
    disable anything that doesnt need to be running all the time. You can re-enable something if its really needed.

Im imagining that your web browser has about 10 extra toolbars that arnt needed.
    Real join date: Update 7

Community Member TempestAlphaOmega's Avatar

........So, see you all here, but not there, and I truly pray that you Trubine folks will FINALLY COMMENT ON THIS ISSUE PLEASE> instead of just ignoring the players, and the threads that post about this. This is a game FLAW, and as such, DESERVES TO BE EXPLAINED TO US>>>>> THE PLAYERS.

If you really enjoy playing the game then I think you should explore some of the options others have provided you in this thread. If you no longer enjoy playing this game then no logging in is the best option available to you.

I kow you have already decided that this issue is on Turbine's side but your description if the issue(s) truley does sound like something on your side.

Turbine can only fix an issue if they are aware of the details. Note I am not saying they will fix it even with all the details but there is no chance of them addressing something without them.

Now you may have already done this but if not perhaps if you supplied them with actual details about your set up, hardware, OS, driver versions (they are all up to date right?) and what else is truley running (people often are unaware of what other family members may have accidently loaded into the computer) you might find a solution.
    Shapshap, League of Extraordinary Ham, Sarlona and a bunch of alts that all have names begining with Sha or Sho. Of course Shapshap could be the alt and one of the others the main, it just depends on what day it is.

You really can't go years and years on the same PC without at least re-installing the OS (I mean completely wiping out the hard drive and starting completely from scratch).

I have to do this every year on my kid's PC, and every 2 years on mine... It makes a huge difference. And every 4 years, I buy a brand new computer.

It's probably time for you to buy new computer... Get plenty of RAM, it's pretty cheap, and you'll want a semi-decent video card.

Heck, it's about time for me to buy a new computer... I've been wanting to try one with SSD drives for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    You really can't go years and years on the same PC without at least re-installing the OS (I mean completely wiping out the hard drive and starting completely from scratch).

I have to do this every year on my kid's PC, and every 2 years on mine... It makes a huge difference. And every 4 years, I buy a brand new computer.

It's probably time for you to buy new computer... Get plenty of RAM, it's pretty cheap, and you'll want a semi-decent video card.

Heck, it's about time for me to buy a new computer... I've been wanting to try one with SSD drives for a while.
    I agree with what Thrudh is saying, I feel dirty now.

Depends on how well it is maintained. If you defrag regularly and clean ups even semi regularly, theres no reason the OS must be reinstalled that often. Reinstalling the OS is a brick and mortar computer support fall back when it would take longer to straighten out whats wrong with your PC than it would to just start clean. The reason in almost all occurrences of this needing to be done is lack of maintenance during the computer's life up to that point.

Many gamer and video editor PC ive taken a look at are at that point where its easier to reformat than try to play catch up on all the routine maintenance that should have been done throughout the few years the PC was used.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Actually you can, and I do. Do you know what it takes for me to re install? A dead/dying hard drive.

All it takes is a bit of willingness to learn how to do maintenance, and do said maintenance. And a bit of luck that M$ doesn't fluff up their updates.

I've done this in 98, XP, and Win7. As far as home use, I've never done NT, 95, ME, Vista, or 8.

Community Member

I am going to say this one last time. If you do not want to pay attention, then don't do your typical fanboi bullcrud and waste time posting. Also, I have posted the specs of my machine in these forums. So before there are more moronical comments mocking, debating, accusing my machine, go through my post history, and READ what I have already published on this fine open forum in regards to my machine.

I got 4 years of playing this game without being disconnected WHEN I SELECTED A CHARACTER.

Re-read the OP if you are so dense that you are saying what I am commenting on has been happening for 4 years.

Now then. As far as the character select DC goes.

IS THERE ANY COMMUNITY REPRESENTATIVES THAT WORK FOR TURBINE THAT CAN COMMENT AND MAYBE ASK SOMEONE AT TURBINE WHAT IS UP THAT COULD POSSIBLY LET US PLAYERS KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON?

Do us people that would like to play your game, us players that would like to maybe continue being the money that helps with your bread and butter outside of work, is it POSSIBLE TO STOP IGNORING US PLAYERS WHEN THESE ISSUES COME UP?

I will ask nicely now.

Cordovan, could you please be a community representative, and represent the community here? Could you please find out what is going on here and represent that in a post to the community?

Please.

Smile Get Bent.

Re-read the OP if you are so dense that you are saying what I am commenting on has been happening for 4 years.
    I did re-read it. Your English sucks. Maybe its not your first language so i'll ignore it. Your rudeness I wont. Get bent.
    Real join date: Update 7

Well, OP. You nailed the personality section of the competition. We're all very excited to see what you bring to the talent and swimsuit portions.

Main: 18 Artificer, Thelanis

Quote Originally Posted by humbleroller View Post
    I did re-read it. Your English sucks. Maybe its not your first language so i'll ignore it. Your rudeness I wont. Get bent.
    Yeah, I read that for 4 years now he has to wait long enough to play several hands of free cell while his computer is "not responding". Likewise, he has video issues where he has turn the gamma all the way up to be able to barely see in some quests. Likewise he has had to reload the game so much that he keeps a set of CD's handy to avoid downloading it every time. I was going to post "get a new computer" but since everyone else was telling him that I didn't bother. Glad I stayed out of it.

Here is a question for you, Did you do any changes to DDO.com-related host file information on the affected computer. Did you ever do a player-created workaround during past DNS issues for DDO.com? Check your computer's host file and remove or comment out any DDO.com-related information there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitesco View Post
    Oh and honestly, you are all carrying portal beaters on your casters? What on earth are you using it on often enough to clog up your bag with it?
    Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Portals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast